Home
Posted By: Biebs 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Got an itch for a nice 22 revolver. I prefer blued and walnut, but not absolutely. I'd love to get a Freedom Arms or original Colt Diamondback, but can't see spending $2,500+ on a plinking gun. I'm not a fan of the Ruger Single Six convertibles, as I don't like the bore "compromise" made to accommodate both cartridges. The S&W Custom Shop still offers the Model 17 Masterpiece for $1,100 or so....might be an option. Any thoughts? Decisions.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Good used gun may be an option.

I like my '60's vintage Kit gun. Don't know what they go for, but may be something to think about.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Nice! I saw a Colt Trooper 4" that looked pretty cool as well.
I’d lean more for good used than new.

DF
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by Biebs
Keep your eye on gunbroker for those.

Most Troopers for sale there are the Mk III models which are nice revolvers but IMO too big and heavy for a .22, plus their prices tend to go way up. But occasionally, right now in fact, they'll have some original Troopers from the 60's and before. Those are really well made and lately have been a very good deal. If you search for them ignore those two overpriced at $2,000, those have been there unloved for a few months now.

1954 Trooper .22

This one pictured went for $505 just before Christmas

[Linked Image from gbapics-bbhmapccg7fxbje0.z01.azurefd.net]
I've read the older, pre-Convertable Single Sixes have a tighter bore. They are really accurate. I picked up this early Flat Gate that fits that bill.

The OEM grips had cracked and I replaced them with ebony, installed Ruger Medallions, sent them to Errol Case in MO for carving/checkering.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Most Troopers for sale there are the Mk III models which are nice revolvers but IMO too big and heavy for a .22, plus their prices tend to go way up. But occasionally, right now in fact, they'll have some original Troopers from the 60's and before. Those are really well made and lately have been a very good deal. If you search for them ignore those two overpriced at $2,000, those have been there unloved for a few months now.

1954 Trooper .22

Nice.

Sometime you can find a pre-War Colt. I picked up this one for $400 a few years ago. Sometimes it's easier to deal with a vendor when the show is over and they're packing up their stuff. That's what happened in this case.

I like it better with Python grips, but do have the OEM's. The late'30's action is amazingly smooth and it's very accurate. I think it may edge my K-22.

Yeah, it's a full sized gun.

DF

Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Absolutely - I forgot about those. The older Officer's Model Target and Officer's Model Match are great revolvers, actions are just so smooth and "snick-snick".

The Police Positives in .22 are dainty little things along the lines of a Smith J-frame. Just found five on gunbroker with prices from under $500 to under $700. They're getting a bit long in the tooth but as long as the crown is good they should still be good shooters.
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Thanks folks....lots to think about.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
I'll second the pre-war Colt Officer's Model Targets. I just bought one in .22 off of GB, to round out the triumvirate with the .32 and .38 pre-war OM's I have. Prices are admittedly high compared to lesser revolvers but nice shooters can be had for well under a grand. (I paid slightly under $1K all up for mine, but it has tons of condition plus a Colt factory letter outlining its birth and first owner.) In my opinion Colts of that era have the edge on Smiths, and popular opinion among aficionados and experts back then bear that out but that paradigm changed after the War. Don't get me wrong, my post-war S&W K-target revolvers are damn fine revolvers too and I would have to be hard pressed to surrender them, but at the end of the day if I had to pick one over the other it would be a pre-war Colt OM.

Fast forward to the 50's-60's into the early 70's both Colt and Smith medium frame .22 revolvers are precision piece of goods, and I love 'em too, but there's just that certain "something" about those pre-war hand fitted Colt revolvers. Just me, I'm probably making too big of a deal about it! (And don't get me started about Woodsman's too!)

Next size down, the Smith Kit Guns and Colt Police Positives alongside Ruger and Colt single actions were fine weapons too and mighty handy for carrying. I guess it boils down to what the final usage will be.

Guns that commanded $300 all day long 20 years ago are all $1K guns now. Inflation's a bitch. If you want lifetime quality you gotta be prepared to spend that kind of money, unless you get lucky.

We were blessed a couple generations ago to have the factories bending over backwards to sell us damned high quality .22 revolvers. Not so much now. Look to the past for the best, IMO.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 Revolver - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

Those ebony grips are to die for! Envious here!

That OM .22 illustrates exactly what I was flapping my gums about above!
Posted By: JB in SC Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Thanks folks....lots to think about.

Stay away from the new production S&W 17 offered by the company, it’s a shadow of the older ones.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24

I like my '60's vintage Kit gun. Don't know what they go for, but may be something to think about.

DF

This ^^^. Or a Model 17 or 18.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
You can’t go wrong with a S&W model 17 or a 617!
Maybe a 22 mag. S&W model 48 or a 648!
Of coarse we’re speaking of the pre locks.

Good luck with your search.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Smith 617

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GF1 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
There are a number of 60s-‘70s S&W 17-2 to 17-4 on the market right now. I’d sooner have one of these than any of the newer guns. I’ve got a 17-2 that I’ve had for 45 years and will have it for a long time more. I never wanted for another .22 revolver.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Smith and Wesson 17. Preferably an older version. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
S&W Model 18 if you want a 4" barrel.

S&W Model 17 if you want a 6" barrel.

EDIT: I have a S&W Model 617 6" 6-shot that is my least favorite handgun, I don't like the full lug barrel, seems too muzzle heavy. Bought it in 2001, probably hasn't left the house in over 20 years.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

DF

This ^^^. Or a Model 17 or 18.
The 34-1 J frame is a smaller, handier gun vs. the larger K frame. Mine has the target style grip, which I like better than the smaller version.

I have a pair of 8 3/8" Target K frames., a K-22 and a K-38. The Target version has the wide target hammer and trigger.

I was checking on line and saw on Gunsinternational, 34-1's listed for $1,100 to $1,300 in mint or near mint condition, one unfired in its factory box was listed for $1,750. Who'd a thought.

Although Colts values have gone thru the roof, 5 screw Smiths aren't too far behind. Even 4 screw gun in good condition are appreciating.

DF
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Yes, everything has gotten crazy.
Posted By: DANS40XC Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Ruger MkII 5 1/2" or 6 7/8" hvy bbl.

ONE hole to clean....not 6 to 11 holes to clean.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
I had timing issues with my new 4-inch 617 right out of the box. It was a 2017 gun. Sent it back, and three months later I called and asked where it was and it was another two months before I saw it. I still get the occasional spitting. I wasn't really happy with the accuracy until I put a Trijicon RMR on it. Now it's a inch/inch and half gun at 15 yards off bags. Single Action. So I guess that says more about my eyes than the gun. If the new Colt wasn't so damn expensive if and when you can find one, I'd probably go that route if I had to do it again. As much as I like the prelocks like any other red-blooded American, I like the ten-shot cylinder better. Especially using Speed Beez.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

Just trying to put mine back together gave me Alzheimer's, and I had the MK III Hunter. Outstanding trigger, and not a bad shooter.
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

Just trying to put mine back together gave me Alzheimer's, and I had the MK III Hunter. Outstanding trigger, and not a bad shooter.
I've got a couple mark 2s and a mark 3. I still have to watch YouTube to put them back together
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
I know you said you didn’t want a single six so maybe this is not your cup of tea. I just got this Super Wrangler, made some walnut stocks for it and took it shooting. I shot some 40 gr auto match through it first (the shoot and see target) then picked up some Aguila 38 gr hollow points. That’s six shots at 15 yards (the box). They sure don’t break the bank.

Posted By: Rolltide Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
The original S&W 34's are really nice. I've also been impressed with a Dan Wesson that found it's way home with me.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24

1954 Trooper .22

Nice.

Sometime you can find a pre-War Colt. I picked up this one for $400 a few years ago. Sometimes it's easier to deal with a vendor when the show is over and they're packing up their stuff. That's what happened in this case.

I like it better with Python grips, but do have the OEM's. The late'30's action is amazingly smooth and it's very accurate. I think it may edge my K-22.

DF

Dirtfarmer, That pre-war Colt is the nuts. I like the Python grips better myself. But, the originals show the vintage unmistakably.

I would also suggest a S&W Model 17.

This one is a 17-3. K-22.

Posted By: HawkI Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
A Smith 17, 18 or K22 or Officers Model would get my vote.

Pre Officer Model MKIIIs, meaning post war but Python actions would get my vote. I believe they ran from 1955 to the mid to late sixties.
The MKIIIs are nice but really overbuilt.

If wanting for DA shooting, Smiths win out with factory actions.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Dan Wesson have served me well
Posted By: cs2blue Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Plenty of options to choose from. Take your time, pick your poison. As long as your are patient you will find what you like.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

1954 Trooper .22

Nice.

DF

Dirtfarmer, That pre-war Colt is the nuts. I like the Python grips better myself. But, the originals show the vintage unmistakably.

I would also suggest a S&W Model 17.

This one is a 17-3. K-22.

Nice 17-3
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Lotsa good ideas here from an abundance of experience. I would not buy anything new , as the workmanship and production of the older models is not duplicated .

A few notes: the 4 click Ruger single sixes were not convertible, hence nice tight .222 bores.

You mentioned the Diamond back , I have had several, none were shooters. But, they look great.

You have been pointed in the right direction.....don't mess it up.
Posted By: Waders Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24

I agree with this suggestion, but...the heart wants what the heart wants. If the OP wants a wheel gun, then a wheel gun it shall be. He didn't state any particular reason as to why it needs to be a revolver, but there might be one or more. To answer the question asked: My suggestion is a used Smith 617. If you decide to sell it, you should easily break even.

As to why not a revolver, .22 revolvers are fine if you are one of those who really like revolvers. We each must determine our own "revolver affinity" by buying a few and then seeing if they ever leave the house after the first two range trips. I've had a couple .22lr revolvers over the years. I'd buy one, and then sell it. Then I'd kick myself, buy another, and then remember why I sold the first one. For me, the utility isn't there. I still have some J-frames and a couple of pre-lock Smiths, but none in .22lr. I've had similar experiences with .22lr conversion kits--both for 1911's and Glocks. They seem like a good idea, but I rarely shoot them.

For some reason, I think the Ruger MK II or the Browning Buckmark is the sweet spot of the .22lr handgun world. But again, this is all just my personal preference. I include these musings only for the OP's consideration. If he buys a .22lr revolver but later falls out of love with it, I just want to let him know that there's no shame in it. A gun purchase is not a marriage; it's a dating relationship. If you decide you're not satisfied, you are free to break-up with your gun and move on!
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Or,...... you can buy 'em all.
Originally Posted by cisco1
Or,...... you can buy 'em all.

In my earlier days, that's exactly what I would have done! :-)
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
If you decide to buy a .22 revolver, don't buy one with that ugly Hillary hole. 1911Addicts site has a "gallery" thread, like most sites. Some guys get on there and they're all gleeful about their new gun. Then, I click on the picture to blow it up and it's got the big fat ugly Hillary hole. I immediately close the picture. Zero interest. Lol.

There are so many old S&W revolvers out there for sale. I don't know why anyone would buy a new S&W revolver. The older revolvers just have so much more class.

Here's Model 14-3. K-38.

Very nice!
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

I've got a couple mark 2s and a mark 3. I still have to watch YouTube to put them back together
They’re easier to reassemble than a Nylon 66. Don’t ever strip one of those down to parts, no need to. I had to borrow a friends 66 to put mine back together. My gunsmith was impressed I pulled it off, said he occasionally gets a bag of parts to reassemble.

DF
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Plenty of options to choose from. Take your time, pick your poison. As long as your are patient you will find what you like.
Yep, shopping is half the fun.

Guess I’ve been on too many Mall trips with my wife, starting to think like her.

But the chase can be challenging.

DF
Posted By: SS336 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
My S&W M17-3 made 1971. A very nice accurate .22 that won’t break the bank if you shop around for a while.
Like all all good things they are getting harder to find.

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
I might add that handling as many as you can before making a decision may help in terms of cutting to the chase if moving on to a marriage instead of a dating relationship is a goal. You could find that Colts fit your hand or "feel better" to you versus a Smith - or vice versa. Ditto a single action versus a double action. (I like Colts for their feel over Smiths, and don't care for single actions at all, but that's entirely personal subjectivity.)
Posted By: Windfall Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
The OP needs to tell us what he intends to use it for. Lots of votes for a S&W 17 (K22) and sure they are nice, but a K frame and more than I wanted to pack around for a wear it and forget it .22, so I sold mine. A J frame 34-1 4" with a larger grip was a better choice for me. Not as accurate as the 17, but for me a handgun is a short range alternative to a rifle. That blued 34 was way smoother than a 617 so I Armaloy coated the 34 and kept the smoothness and added the weather proofing.
Hey, no special purpose planned. I have a number of other handguns for hunting, target and self defense. Just looking to add a 22 in a revolver.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Got an itch for a nice 22 revolver. I prefer blued and walnut, but not absolutely. I'd love to get a Freedom Arms or original Colt Diamondback, but can't see spending $2,500+ on a plinking gun. I'm not a fan of the Ruger Single Six convertibles, as I don't like the bore "compromise" made to accommodate both cartridges. The S&W Custom Shop still offers the Model 17 Masterpiece for $1,100 or so....might be an option. Any thoughts? Decisions.

I've had 22's in Ruger, Smith and Colt. best to me by a long shot was a Colt Diamondback. haven't been able to find a holster I like for my High Standard HD Military. If I do it will be my go to 22. shoots the pants off my Smith 22 masterpiece! BTW, if it had to be a revolver My choice would be the Colt Diamondback!
Don, agreed...the Diamondback is a little jewel. They've gotten crazy-priced though.
Don, agreed...the Diamondback is a little jewel. They've gotten crazy-priced though.
Yeah, those Colt Ponies are gold. I like Colts, but am not sure they're worth (at least to me) what they're selling for.

Back in the '70's I bought a Python from an Army bud who needed some quick money, gave him $185. He wanted to buy it back later, but I had grown fond of it. Those crazy things in perfect shape are going up to $3,500.

When it got to $1,500, I thought about trading it. My son let me know it was his fav pistole, so I gave it to him and he still has it. Crazy.

I picked up this pair of 8 3/8" K guns at a gun show some years back. Don't remember what I paid, but not near what they'd bring today.

They had mag grips which are a tad big for my taste, so I put these grips on them, shaped them to fit my hand and crinkle painted them black.

They are a 14-4 and a 17-4, K-38 and K-22. Both are the target version with wide trigger and wide hammer. As you can see, I like to paint the front sight red.

DF

Something cheap to play around with is the Wrangler. They make one with adjustable sights, also, think it's called the Super Wrangler.

Here's one next to my Flat Gate. The trigger is pretty good and mine shoots almost as well as the Flat Gate. I've read some accounts where they weren't that accurate. This one surprised me, exceeded my expectations.

For the price, they're not a bad option. No prize pig for sure, but very functional for a knock about carry piece and easy on the wallet.

DF

Posted By: longarm Re: 22 Revolver - 01/21/24
Skip the rest and buy the best: 5-screw S&W K22.

Okay okay... Or a M17, M18, or an Outdoorsman. You'll never regret it.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
This would be a good candidate
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029761821
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Some honest wear, maybe 95% or so.

Should be a great shooter.

DF
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Don't forget the S&W model 67. Oops, that's a .38 Spec. I meant the model that is the stainless equivalent of the model 34. What model is it, guys?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Trout, don't know how I missed that 17 :-(
There are quite a few around. Most are bringing pretty good money but I picked up this 17-3 at a local auction last year for right at 400
That was a good buy.

DF
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Whose mount is that, it looks like an Allchin. Did you have to have the top strap drilled and tapped?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
yes and yes
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by DonFischer

I've had 22's in Ruger, Smith and Colt. best to me by a long shot was a Colt Diamondback. haven't been able to find a holster I like for my High Standard HD Military. If I do it will be my go to 22. shoots the pants off my Smith 22 masterpiece! BTW, if it had to be a revolver My choice would be the Colt Diamondback!

Diamondbacks are pretty nice, but they've gotten pretty expensive these days.

I think Mannlicher may have ended up picking one up pretty recently, IIRC. Very nice gun in excellent condition.

Biebs, You might ask him about them.
There are quite a few around. Most are bringing pretty good money but I picked up this 17-3 at a local auction last year for right at 400

Troutnut, you stole that one. Very nice, indeed.

Doesn't even have a turn ring, and the grips look to be in good to very good condition.

How did you like those Super-x through it? I bought some of the new Super-x when they came up at walmart for a decent price and I wasn't really impressed with them.
Posted By: KKDD50 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
I'm rather biased as I have a few of them, but the S&W Kit Guns from 1953 models through the M34, M34-1, M35 and M63 are IMO the epitome of .22 revolvers. Very easy to carry and more than accurate enough for most uses. One I have will shoot right along a K-frame .22 with about any load. Due to their small size they are more difficult to shoot well but putting on larger grips on them works well for larger hands. Most of the complaints with them comes from not keeping the cylinder charge holes scrupulously clean. .22 autos are fine and I have some but I really don't like fooling with reloading the magazines so don't shoot them much. And the SA .22's are great but are slow to reload when just having fun plinking. YMMV. Sadly, I would not buy a Smith .22 J-frame made after the early 1980's.

Doesn't even have a turn ring, and the grips look to be in good to very good condition.

How did you like those Super-x through it? I bought some of the new Super-x when they came up at walmart for a decent price and I wasn't really impressed with them.
Honestly never shot the Super x through it. Another auction I picked up a couple of those bricks and thought they looked better in the picture than newer ammo. Cci mini mag hp and Federal automatch are all I've shot through it. Never put it on paper or even adjusted the sight. Shoots point of aim on all the steel on my range though.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
After a number of test drives I have the two 22 Pistols that fit my wants and needs. I settled on a Ruger Stainless Super single six Convertible 5.5 inch barrel and A Ruger 22/45 Blued with a five inch barrel with a Red dot on top. They are my fun guns. The Single six is for G-hogs with the 22 mag cylinder in place. That's what works for me. Your mileage can and will vary.
KKDD50, I agree with everything you said.

I think the Kit guns are about as accurate as the K guns, just not as easy to shoot due to their smaller size.

To me, the Target style, larger grip helps a lot in that regard.

DF

Honestly never shot the Super x through it. Another auction I picked up a couple of those bricks and thought they looked better in the picture than newer ammo. Cci mini mag hp and Federal automatch are all I've shot through it. Never put it on paper or even adjusted the sight. Shoots point of aim on all the steel on my range though.

Thanks. The old Super-x was good. I wasn't so thrilled with the new stuff.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Biebs: A local gun shop (78 miles from me!) has a VERY nifty Smith & Wesson pre-hillary hole Model 17 with the full lug 6" barrel.

LINK: https://www.shedhorn.com/shop/p/smith-and-wesson-model-17-6-22-long-rifle-revolver

I would have been a player for this pistol but have one exactly like it. And I love mine!
No sales tax in Montana.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
Thanks VG.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/22/24
I have a current model 3” M63 that’s a good packing pistol, but illegal for hunting here because the regs require a 4” barrel. The last 4” I saw locally was $1200, a bit much for my taste. A few weeks ago I was on GI, minding my own business, and ran into a First Model K22 5-screw that looked really nice, having been factory refinished in 1953 and so stamped under the grip. I’d read a bit about those early ones and so I put a deposit on it and will get it about the beginning of March. They made about 17,000 of those between 1931 and 1937.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/23/24
5 Screws are a good investment. Factory refinish, not sure how that affects value. I’d say that was better than a reblue otherwise.

5 screws aren’t Colts, but they are appreciating.

DF
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/23/24
Not worried about value, just how it shoots. The early ones supposedly got a lot of hand-fitting, and despite coming out in the middle of the depression, it was a high dollar piece, $24 wholesale according to one source. Jerry Miculek has one someone sent to him and did a video of shooting it at a balloon at 240 yards, walking them in.

Funny he says Colts are good guns, just not Smiths…😛
Posted By: Woodpecker Re: 22 Revolver - 01/23/24
I have had many rimfire revolvers and when in the business worked on many more. The question of accuracy is dicey like any 22 cal handgun or long gun. To those who want to squeeze ultimate accuracy out of a handgun you must be prepared both time and money to find the right ammo. However every now and then you get a piece that will shoot cheaper high velocity ammo. I’ve worked on dozens of K22/model 17’s most of which with some forcing cone work perhaps a new crown pretty much shot well with a variety of ammo. A bit of trigger work, lap the forcing cone and they make most users happy. My favorite for match use were the Colt Officer or Police Positive Target 1st series or pre-war. They are usually very tight since no pressure to deal with and index like a vault. Problem is they are becoming safe queens or at the least hard to find. I alway prefer the heavy barrel models with partridge front sights.
I worked on two or three Ruger Single Sixes early models that would shoot HV cheap ammo
but their sights didn’t help or their triggers. You’ll want to measure chamber throats and if necessary have them honed or opened up a bit. Don’t disqualify 22 semi’s as they are the gun of choice where accuracy is everything. Plenty of serviceable good shooting High Standards out there. They will require standard velocity ammo unless you tweak them with heavier recoil springs but the carry well and have the finest trigger of US made production semi’s. The S&W 41’s and 46’s are also in the same league as the HS’s but are the more vertical 1911 type grip angle whic is a personal choice. In the woods I carry an old HS Field King with adjustable sights and lever take down.

You would be hard pressed to find a better handling and accurate 22 semi than an old Colt Woodsman. You can find a shooter for reasonable sums, mags are a bit pricey but two is all you need. They, like early High Standards and Rugers are slant grip frames which I prefer and is the grip angle of choice for Euro and many high quality match guns. Shooting single handed the slant grip of 17-20° keep the bore axis more in line with your arm and creates a firmer wrist lock due to geometry of your wrist bones and lower arm muscles.

Lastly but beyond most people’s reach is the Freedom Arms Model 97 in 22 cal. Never owned one but have a 83 switch cylinder 454 and 45 Colt and had a chance at the range one day to shoot two cylinder full of Federal 22 ammo. What a joy shooting this beautiful piece. Twelve rounds at 50 yards, two flyers and after I settled down the rest were either dancing around the edges of the black and the rest into scoring rings. I was impressed. If you can afford this piece of perfection it’s your answer.

One more thing. Price is absolutely no guarantee of getting a nice shooting, well balanced good utility field revolver or pistol. Until three years ago I had two often forgotten High Standard Sentinel and Double Nine revolvers both would shoot extremely well with a lot of mixed high velocity budget ammo. They shot good enough to hunt squirrels and offending yard destroying Chipmunks. Keep an eye out for them and if you know how to hand test them they can be a real deal

Rick
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 22 Revolver - 01/23/24

Yes, that's it. But who woulda thunk we'd ever see a model 63 with a red dot sight on it. Isn't that sacrilegious or something?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/23/24
Sacrilegious is my middle name..... Signed, Don S. Quik

Posted By: dogwater Re: 22 Revolver - 01/24/24
My favorite is a pre model 17 from 1954-55. I don't know how many grouse have been head shot with it and it always shoots minute of pine cone or empty 12 GA shell.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22 Revolver - 01/24/24
Sacrilegious is my middle name..... Signed, Don S. Quik

Dats a goofy looking revolver Don...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 22 Revolver - 01/24/24
It's sacreligious to reddot a 1911, too.....
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22 Revolver - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not worried about value, just how it shoots. The early ones supposedly got a lot of hand-fitting, and despite coming out in the middle of the depression, it was a high dollar piece, $24 wholesale according to one source. Jerry Miculek has one someone sent to him and did a video of shooting it at a balloon at 240 yards, walking them in.

Lol. S&W pays him a lot to say that. 😂
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/28/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Lol. S&W pays him a lot to say that. 😂
For sure, but doubt he’d say anything he didn’t really believe. DA shooters, for sure seem to like the Smith action better than Colt.

I’m not a pro, but I think the full sized Colt DA is pretty slick. Something about the Smith rebound speed giving them the edge, IIRC. Probably a bigger deal for a McGivern or a Miculek.

DF
Posted By: Biebs Re: 22 Revolver - 01/28/24
I wound up finding a 5 screw K22 at a good price.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 22 Revolver - 01/28/24
I would up finding a 5 screw K22 at a good price.
Good deal. You should enjoy it
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 22 Revolver - 01/28/24

Awesome.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Revolver - 01/29/24
Pictures?

DF
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 22 Revolver - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
S&W Model 18 if you want a 4" barrel.

S&W Model 17 if you want a 6" barrel.
Correct answer!
I have found the pinned and recessed model 18 Smith and Wesson to be the pinnacle of rimfire revolvers.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 22 Revolver - 01/30/24
Only if you got to have a K frame. It’s the reason my 17 got traded for a 34 J frame.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 22 Revolver - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by Windfall
Only if you got to have a K frame. It’s the reason my 17 got traded for a 34 J frame.
I have a 34 I’ve never even fired. I’ll have to correct that. I do have an old heavy frame target. It is damn near magical!
© 24hourcampfire