Home
Posted By: svg250 44 special ammo - 03/25/24
Just looking for some opinions on plinking ammo, i have shot some pmc44 special which shot great and wasnt very dirty, what are u guys using, any info appreciated, thanks
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 44 special ammo - 03/25/24
Ask, McKay!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 44 special ammo - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by svg250
Just looking for some opinions on plinking ammo, i have shot some pmc44 special which shot great and wasnt very dirty, what are u guys using, any info appreciated, thanks
I load my own. 240 grain Kieth style bullets over a light charge of Unique.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
Lifelong Unique fan and user but some good deals on w231 and hp38 lead me to trying them for lighter loads that are accurate and burn clean.mb
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ask, McKay!

You rang? smile

The answer you seek.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As it happens I was out shooting some of this ammo a couple days ago.

This hardcast SWC load runs right at 900 FPS from my 5" M29.

Shooting some through both my 5" Model 29 Classic with RDO, as well as my late 1950s era Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .44 Mag.

It is very easy to see the difference when one's eyes change (and the front/iron sights become a bit out of focus).

This was shooting over bags at 25 yards. The bags were on the back of my old Land Cruiser. With the S&W M29 and a red dot, it was quite easy to punch tight little groups.

That was not exactly the case with the irons. The group was not terrible, but it was nowhere even close in comparison. I also noted that I must have had the gun zero'ed for 300 grain loads before as I was hitting very low.

Note the point of impact is WAY low, and the group size is well more than 2x the size, without the "flyer" which I am sure was just me. Really I would say the group size is 3x as large with iron sights as it is as compared to shooting with a red dot equipped pistol.

Pretty telling.

Very accurate load, just have to have the ability and equipment to take advantage of it.

The M29 Classic (with RDO) is definitely the "equipment". Love shooting groups with that gun.

cool
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
If you have a revolver that can handle higher pressure loads, driving a 200 grain Gold Dot at speeds halfway between special and magnum loads has impressive on target results.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If you have a revolver that can handle higher pressure loads, driving a 200 grain Gold Dot at speeds halfway between special and magnum loads has impressive on target results.

The CCI Blaser aluminum cased JHP loads (Gold Dot bullet) are great and weigh < brass cased ones, but he is asking about plinking ammo. The .44 Magnum fellas should be able to help with this topic. I use .45 Colt 200gr Cowboy loads for practice Winchester Defender (similar in appearance to famed Black Tallon w/o black coating) for personal protection. Companies also offer bear loads for wilderness camping/hiking carry use.
Posted By: svg250 Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
Ok thanks guys, i should have clarified im inquiring about ammo off the shelf or something i could by online as i dont reload. I do like the pmc 180’s they shot well in my 629, is underwood brand a good one?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
All of Mackey's ammo is excellent.

HSM Cowboy, 240 grain SWC at 845 fps, isn't bad for plinking ammo, but if I was carrying a .44 Special for serious work, I'd chamber Mackey's ammo for its known quality and the peace of mind that come with KNOWING that you're shooting the best.
Posted By: TimZ Re: 44 special ammo - 03/26/24
Good shooting Ted!

Another big fan of his ammo here….
Posted By: Slavek Re: 44 special ammo - 03/27/24
I am intrigued about HSM brand, it is usually cheaper than Magtech or Aguila. If this stuff is reliable and accurate that is actually impressive accomplishment.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 44 special ammo - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I load my own. 240 grain Kieth style bullets over a light charge of Unique.

^this^
Posted By: FreeMe Re: 44 special ammo - 03/27/24
Ok thanks guys, i should have clarified im inquiring about ammo off the shelf or something i could by online as i dont reload. I do like the pmc 180’s they shot well in my 629, is underwood brand a good one?

Underwood brand is good.
Posted By: slabslapper Re: 44 special ammo - 03/29/24
These folks are good, too:
www.georgia-arms.com
© 24hourcampfire