Home
is there such a beast? if so, who makes it and where can i find one?

Dave
I've got one. It's a Star BM.

I really don't know if anyone currently produces one though.

I think Taurus was making one they called a 1911-B.
Might want to check out the August "Blue Press", they have a whole article on the 9mm 1911. My buddy has one, he stuck a 9mm barrel and a Capisan slide on an existing 1911. A blast to shoot!
Dave,

Springfield currently offers a full-size 1911 in 9x19mm. Colt has offered both full-size and Commander 1911's over the years. They're very fun to fire - kinda Hi-Power-esque.
Then there is always the new Springfield EMP, same thing as a 1911, but micro versioned and in 9mm and 40 S&W. Les

Springfiled EMP
single action?
Yep, just like the 1911. Built almost exactly the same just on a smaller platform. I want one in 40 S&W. Les
Anything JMB designed is okay with me.....
I have been looking at compact autoloaders and at present I am favoring the S&W CS9. I prefer DA and that pistol should be thinner and at only 20 oz reasonably light.

They go for about $525 here.

[Linked Image]

SKU: 403887
Model: CS9
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 7+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 3"
Front Sight: Dot Front Sight
Rear Sight: Novak Lo Mount Carry
Grip: Rubber Grips
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small
Finish: Matte
Overall Length: 6 1/4"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 20 oz.
How about a Star Firestar?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77122698
Mike

Attached picture 8043-m43.jpg
I can remember the Star brand from way back. They were/are a Spanish made gun. It seemed that Colt made a better item for more $$$ at the time. Now I read an internet reference that the Star plant is closed.

Smith is just up the road from where I live and in fact on my way to to camp I drive through Springfield. It would make sense to buy a Smith, Colt etc. since I am where they are made.

I had a plant tour of the Seecamp factory a few weeks ago. On the same day I was in the Ruger corporate headquarters building. We make guns here in CT!
I had a Firestar. Very accurate and easy to shoot. lot's of steel there to absorb recoil. I see good used ones available (the only kind you can buy now) for around $275, which I consider a fair deal - since they are built pretty well and should last a long time.

Big drawback, IMO, is that the safety levers on every example I've seen are a bit too easy to release. Not the best design for carry, given what is available on today's market.
lubbockdave -

I recently purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9. I have over 300 rounds of ball and jhp through it. It works great. Single stack 7 shot magazine. And at $228 it was a great buy.

Kel-Tec says the gun will take +p ammo but +p should only
be used in limited quantities. I've only used standard pressure rounds to date.

Sights are a bit lame but I only shoot this particular gun at 7 yards, I just look over the front sight at center mass on the target.

DAO trigger is more than acceptable.
The Kimber Aegis is a 9mm 1911 with thin grips no hammer spur,a black slide and natural aluminum frame with checkered front and back straps. Safety lever has been bobbed and magazine release has been smoothed. Tritium sights. Mine shoots like gangbusters with anything I run thru it. Ramped barrel. What more could you want. I like it better than the Springfield.
While I am still not sure what kind of pistol Lubblock wants I think I know what I want. I want the smallest DA 9mm.

The Kimber Aegis is longer and heavier than a Cheifs Special by quite a bit. Not only that but where is the hammer? Do you carry it loaded with the hammer back?

Link to Kimber Aegis

Link to S&W Chiefs Special

Not currently produced, but the Beretta 1951 (or 951?) was a single-stack SA autoloader. It was produced under contract in Egypt as the Maadi Helwan, and not so long ago those were available new, for dirt cheap. Benelli made the B76, a single-stack 9mm auto that could be carried in Condition One or used as a DA. I see them occasionally for very reasonable prices. Most common are the Stars mentioned here above. If it's a slim grip you need, the Browning Hi-Power is quite slim, in spite of being double-stack, because the trigger-to-sear linkage is through the slide, instead of around the sides of the magazine well.
I went to look at the S&W CS 9 today I like it however the new one they have has some rust/dark spots on the slide. They would not wipe off.

The pistol is a little too big for my pocket otherwise the DA pull is superb and the SA pull is crisp but it has a light take up like many DA's do. The 1911's don't have that problem.

The price on it is $579 and not $529. I had misread the tag from a distance and forgot to look at the gun last week. They might take something off of the price but the fly specks are on the left side of the slide where a RH person would look.

They had a Kimber Ultra Carry 11 there and I just don't like the 1911 that much. That gun clicks when you touch the girips, the hammer etc. Not quiet to operate at all. Besides its larger than the CS9.

The CS9's hammer cannot be cocked with one hand but it can with two as its bobbed. Just thinking how I would shoot it at the range. The rubber grips on the CS9 are excellent.

Here is a list of carry gun specs. Concealed Handgun Comparison
The Kahr PM series are good pocket-sized ones, but they're pricey, about $600.
Kahr

I recently purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9. I have over 300 rounds of ball and jhp through it. It works great. Single stack 7 shot magazine. And at $228 it was a great buy.

Norm - how long have you had it? I talked to 2 local dealers this last week and both told me that they're not out yet.

Dick
I've had my PF-9 for at least 4 months.
When a pistol gets as large as these I want DA and not DA only. I want to be able to aim the gun.

The S&W CS9 has a superb crisp SA pull.
I can hit, what I aim at, with the PF-9, EASILY out to any reasonable SD range. Double-taps to the cranium at 10 yards, are simple.
The question I assumed was "is there a SINGLE STACK,SINGLE ACTION 9mm". To the best of my knowledge only 2 currently produced handguns meet these criteria, the Kimber Aegis and the Springfield EMP. Both are 1911 style with the Springfield being specifically made for 9mm with thinner frame and slightly smaller overall dimensions. If these are to be used as carry pistols they are best carried 'cocked and locked' as reccommended by most experts. Some feel nervous doing that. They are not easily concealed pistols in any case. One more single stack,single action was being produced but has just recently been discontinued was the H&K P7(PSP & M8 not M13) but it was a squeeze cocker and while the safest of all was again not easily concealable. The used market abounds with many single stack,single action 9mm's but it's pretty slim pickins on current production.
Colt also built a Combat Commander in 9x19.
I understood the Colt 9mm was out of production. They also had a nice Super 38 at one time but I think it's out of production also. Don't really know why ,probably didn't sell too good. They (Colt) do have a new 'Agent' which is the smallest gun they produce. Slim grip panels,no sights just a groove on slide, very slick package, but it's 45acp.
I looked in the safe and just where it was supposed to be was my Chiefs Special Airweight 38 Special. I put it in my pocket and found that it takes up way less room than the new autoloading version that I looked at this afternoon.

Not only that put it weighs 14 ounces vrs 20 for the autoloader and has a trigger pull that auto's only wish they had. Its reliable and not ammo dependent. Not only that but it will shoot wadcutters and they cut and so do SWC's.

Glad I got that out of my system.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by zimhunter
...One more single stack,single action was being produced but has just recently been discontinued was the H&K P7(PSP & M8 not M13) but it was a squeeze cocker and while the safest of all was again not easily concealable....

P7-M8, not easily concealable? You must not have tried it.
I consider the P7-M8 to be a premier combat SA 9mm, and it is single-stack. I have no trouble concealing one. There are also SA single-stack 9mm models by STI and I'm sure others (including Taurus), in the 1911 pattern. And S&W still catalogs the target-grade 952 - which I believe is a single-stack - as a Performance Center gun.

Edit - Taurus hasn't given a release date for their 9mm 1911 yet...
According to H&S's website, the P7M8 is no longer made.

Dick
I would also recommend STI. Their place is so close to my house I can hear them test firing pistols from my backyard. My neighbor works there and gave me a tour of the factory a while back. Check out www.stiguns.com. They offer quite a few options in 9mm.
Sorry about the STI's I'm really not familiar with them and don't know that I have ever SEEN one personally. I have several holsters for the P7 (mine is a PSP and as I stated I believe not being produced) and do find they are not very easy to conceal. While I like the gun very much it seems disproportionate in it's size. The grip section with the squeeze is very large and the slide/barrel is very short ahead of the trigger guard. I live in Southern Arizona and my normal dress is shorts and a knit shirt which makes concealment a matter of a pocket pistol which the P7 DEFINITELY is not. I also passed the point of being chubby and went to fat several years ago further compounding the problem. I have found the Kahr MK9 and S&W 640 to fill my needs quite well but the one I carry most is a Walther TPH which I am well aware is a .22. The main objective being if you don't have it with you, you can't use it. I was trying to answer the question posed 'single stack,single action,9mm' not what my preferences are for concealed carry.
Single action, single stack 9mm's..

Luger
Polish Radom
Lahti L-35
Tokarev TT-33 (some variants in 9mm)
Beretta Brigadier & Helwan (1951)
CZ 52 (some variants)
French Mas Mle. 1950
Astra 400, 600, 800
Sig P210
Star BM
Star Model B
Star Model 1920
Star Firestar
Astra A70
Colt LW Combat Commander
Springfield EMP

There are more, but I would be getting even more obscure. The good news is: All are great pistols with the exception of the Luger. The Luger is cool, accurate and fun to shoot, but few of them are truly reliable.
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
is there such a beast? if so, who makes it and where can i find one?

Dave

Well the best is the SIG P210. Saw one in a gunstore Saturday for "only" $2,000. I thought it was slightly over-priced as it was a refurbished police gun with plastic stocks, and wear on the blueing.

But a good P 210 is the best of the best.

Yeah, I have one.
Don't forget the Taurus 1911's in 9mm, they are single stackers too.

[Linked Image]
Norinco M213...

[Linked Image]

I just had to say it. Actually, it is a fair pistol but has some drawbacks like the effectively non-functional add-on safety and sights that require some modification to dehorn and perhaps more. The trigger is fine, the size fairly compact, and they are accurate. Carry hammer down on an empty chamber and safety off. The original 7.62x25mm version is a hoot to shoot. the lanyard loop is an extra!

[Linked Image]

I appreciate the input folks!

Dave
© 24hourcampfire