Home
Posted By: VAnimrod CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I've been carrying IWB for quite a few years now.

Recently, I've been having moderate to severe flare-ups of my sciatic nerve on the same side as I carry.

After the last flare-up, I stopped carrying for a time. Yesterday, I carried IWB all day, and today the sciatic is acting up again.

Suggestions as to continue to carry, but not IWB, would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
BTW - ankle holsters are out. Hate'm.

Normal attire (Mon-Fri) is a suit and tie. Weekends and after work is jeans-T-shirt or Jeans-sweatshirt.

Preferred CCW is a BHP, but there are quite a few other horses in the stable.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I am no MD but had the something similar happen to me when I was hunting out west a few years back. Carried a Blackhawk on my hip for 3 days and my back and hip were almost numb at the end of each day. I think it changed my stride or balance and I was trying to compensate with every step I took.

Can you reposition it or change sides for a few days?
Posted By: T LEE Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
either move it forward a bit or go to a belt slide type and wear long enough shirts. You saw how I carry and where, no problems in some 40+ years.
Current IWB holsters are RH. Switching sides isn't feasible from that standpoint, thought I can/do shoot ambi.

However, if I switch sides, I'm concerned I'll just eventually start firing up the other sciatic. That, would not be good.
T;

I'll try moving it forward. Belt-slides don't conceal well enough. BT/DT.

If I could get away with OC, I would. However, current conditions don't permit that option.
Posted By: RufusG Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I guess my first attempt would be a lighter gun in the same familiar position. Go with aluminum or plastic and maybe less bullets and see if it causes the same aggravation.

Myself I detest IWB with holsters but regardless I would try to change as little as possible if you're happy with the current arrangement excepting the pain.
Posted By: T LEE Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
That and maybe going to a smaller/lighter frame pistol. I know a J frame .38 isn't exactly your cup-o-tea, but better something than harsh words. AND I know you are knowledgeable enough to pick good ammo for what ever you are packing.

I actually have a permanent indentation where I carry that little Smith which was where I carried the Colt Cobra before the SS Smiths came along. Just a tad past 90 degrees to the umbilicus with a forward cant keeps it pretty well hidden under any shirt that ain't form fitting.
Switching CCW piece is certainly an option. Ain't like I haven't done that before.
Posted By: dsink Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I changed over to a Kydex paddel for my Glock 26 and was amazed how well it concealed. You might wont to give one of those a try. They are not real expensive so if it doesnt work out you wont be out much money.
I've tried Kydex and was not happy with the feel at all (cold, sharp, inflexible). Excellent suggestion, though, and perhaps worthy of reconsideration.
Posted By: bea175 Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I use the Fobus paddle for 90% of my conceal carry and I just buy a shirt one size bigger than i wear. This works great for me.
I have never liked the IWB holsters to uncomfortable unless you wear loose pant .
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
Move it a little forward to about 3 o'clock; should help a fair amount.

Also a shorter holster (& necessarily, a shorter gun) will also help.

IMO, weight will make a HUGE difference.

Also some larger gun holsters have a "tab" to help distribute pressure to alleviate the problem.

Carrying a 20 oz Glock 27 or a 28 oz alloy framed 1911 is waaaaay less fatiguing than carrying an all steel 1911 of any version for me.

The Sparks I got from you works well for me as do the 2 Brommelands for a Commander size & a Gov't size 1911.......I have no sciatic issues, but as Mr. Lee noted, he's carried for years w/o any; people are made different. The Brommelands are truly fantastic.

If you want the Sparks back to try for awhile or want to borrow one of the Brommelands to try for a bit, let me know, but they are all for 1911's. The wait on the Brommelands is 6-8 months; I lucked out and found some ready to ship.

MM

Posted By: dsink Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I agree that kydex for IWB does not work but I use a paddel Fobus like bea175 uses and really like them.

You are welcome to come by the shop sometime and try mine on and wear it around the shop and see if you like it.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
BTW - ankle holsters are out. Hate'm.

Normal attire (Mon-Fri) is a suit and tie. Weekends and after work is jeans-T-shirt or Jeans-sweatshirt.

Preferred CCW is a BHP, but there are quite a few other horses in the stable.
A man only carries IWB. You'll just have to bear with it. laugh
In all seriousness, the condition you refer to is an inflammation issue. A change in diet, and regular daily vigorous exercise of at least one half hour will likely clear it up.

For diet, avoid refined flour products (pasta and other noodles cooked al dente are ok in moderation, so long as they make up only a small part of the meal, but most breads, cookies, and cakes are out), baked or boiled potatoes (fried, oven fried, or fried chips are ok in moderation) and white rice (other than aged Basmati rice). Stop drinking diet sodas and switch to water or milk. Main diet should be protein/fat/non-starchy vegetables. Avoid caffeine, which is a diuretic, and interferes with hydration.

Daily exercise helps by increasing the efficiency with which your body processes glucose, thus lowering its need to manufacture and secrete insulin. Insulin in the blood stream is the root cause of most inflammation issues.

PS What is called "heart disease" is, for the most part, an inflammation issue caused by lack of exercise and eating refined white starches. Insulin causes inflammation of the artery walls (along with everything else), and over time this creates microscopic cracks on which plaque can attach, accumulate, and harden, eventually building up and causing blockages. It is the disease of modern civilized human beings, in other words. Folks still living like all humans used to live don't get "heart disease," because they work their bodies every day and don't eat the crap we eat.

PPS Our bodies, and all of its complex systems, evolved to service the needs of a species that did a good bit of physical labor every single day, and never consumed refined starches. Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.
Sounds like just another reason to get my lazy azz back into shape.

But, avoid caffeine? As in don't drink coffee? Blasphemy......

Diet drinks? Can't touch them. One swallow of that stuff will result in a migraine; one full soda and I'll be in agony. Severely allergic to phenylketuronetics (sic).
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In all seriousness, the condition you refer to is an inflammation issue. A change in diet, and regular daily vigorous exercise of at least one half hour will likely clear it up.

For diet, avoid refined flour products (pasta and other noodles cooked al dente are ok in moderation, so long as they make up only a small part of the meal, but most breads, cookies, and cakes are out), baked or boiled potatoes (fried, oven fried, or fried chips are ok in moderation) and white rice (other than aged Basmati rice). Stop drinking diet sodas and switch to water or milk. Main diet should be protein/fat/non-starchy vegetables. Avoid caffeine, which is a diuretic, and interferes with hydration.

Daily exercise helps by increasing the efficiency with which your body processes glucose, thus lowering its need to manufacture and secrete insulin. Insulin in the blood stream is the root cause of most inflammation issues.

PS What is called "heart disease" is, for the most part, an inflammation issue caused by lack of exercise and eating refined white starches. Insulin causes inflammation of the artery walls (along with everything else), and over time this creates microscopic cracks on which plaque can attach, accumulate, and harden, eventually building up and causing blockages. It is the disease of modern civilized human beings, in other words. Folks still living like all humans used to live don't get "heart disease," because they work their bodies every day and don't eat the crap we eat.

PPS Our bodies, and all of its complex systems, evolved to service the needs of a species that did a good bit of physical labor every single day, and never consumed refined starches. Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.

Man, that's pretty deep, Hawk.........you a doc or something?

MM
Posted By: RufusG Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
Here's another thought; not saying the gun weight is not a contribting factor, but maybe you need a new or better (more supportive) pair of shoes.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Man, that's pretty deep, Hawk.........you a doc or something?

MM
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. laugh

I've been studying this stuff for most of my adult life. My dad's a doctor, and was the first (many decades before these ideas came to be accepted in the mainstream of medicine) to clue me into the relationship between diet and metabolism, particularly with regard to glucose and insulin, and the havoc insulin wreaks on the body (at best, like government, insulin is a necessary evil, and the least amount of it your body can get away with producing is best). If you want to read further, just google such topics as insulin resistance and glycemic load index.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
Well, it�s time to go OWB, and the two best OWB holster I know of are the Milt Sparks NLG and Mitch Rosen UPL (upper limit), which they make in the express line. Both keep it nice and tight to the body and don�t let too much holster stick down, making for easier concealment.
Posted By: jds44 Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
I haven't tried one yet, but the Raven Concelament Phantom gets high marks from a lot of people for an OWB that really hugs the body and conceals well.

Raven Phantom

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/26/09
Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.

Just a point of info........putting sugar in a gas tank won't do anything but plug the fuel system..........so, unless the stuff you listed in your post causes constipation, you might need a different analogy....... grin
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.

Just a point of info........putting sugar in a gas tank won't do anything but plug the fuel system..........so, unless the stuff you listed in your post causes constipation, you might need a different analogy....... grin
Ok, you're taking this way too literally. smile
Posted By: Eremicus Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/27/09
You might try carrying it IWB w/o a holster. That's what I've done with large autos for years.
The advantages are that you can carry them butt to front, canting them back to fit the hollow over your hip, FBI style with the butt to the rear and canted forward, or, if they become troublesome, you can switch them over to the off side carry. You can even shift their position slightly w/o even taking the gun out if they are uncomfortable. Lots of good things about IWB carry w/o a holster.
If you carry them on the off side, they are a little more awkward to get to with the strong hand, but not that hard. Particularly if it's carried butt forward and canted to the rear.
I've carried full sized 1911's that way for many years. BHP's work even better and are lighter.
Yes, you need to do some exercising. But before you do that, you should have that back condition checked by your doctor and you'd probably need to work up to exercising slowly after some sort of physical therapy.
Refined carbohydrates are no longer considered undesirable foods. That's because the Glycimic Index upon which this belief was based is now been proven to be faulty. E
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/28/09
I often carry a Smith J Frame in a Sam Andrews Pocket Holster. I have never felt under gunned when carrying a .38 Special, but the J frame is, as you well know, available in .357 also.

Eremicus, Mexican carry has many drawbacks, and few benefits. Wait until your .45 ACP falls down your pants leg. smile

Who was that football player recently that was carrying like that in a NYC Bar, and shot himself when the gun went south and he grabbed for it?
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You might try carrying it IWB w/o a holster. That's what I've done with large autos for years.
The advantages are that you can carry them butt to front, canting them back to fit the hollow over your hip, FBI style with the butt to the rear and canted forward, or, if they become troublesome, you can switch them over to the off side carry. You can even shift their position slightly w/o even taking the gun out if they are uncomfortable. Lots of good things about IWB carry w/o a holster.
If you carry them on the off side, they are a little more awkward to get to with the strong hand, but not that hard. Particularly if it's carried butt forward and canted to the rear.
I've carried full sized 1911's that way for many years. BHP's work even better and are lighter.
Yes, you need to do some exercising. But before you do that, you should have that back condition checked by your doctor and you'd probably need to work up to exercising slowly after some sort of physical therapy.
Refined carbohydrates are no longer considered undesirable foods. That's because the Glycimic Index upon which this belief was based is now been proven to be faulty. E
I will admit to carrying Mex style for a couple of years in the early 1990s. Works fine, but occasionally you do something like pull your under shirt out and the gun falls out. Also, it wouldn't stay put if you went to the ground in a fight, or just fell for some reason, and running probably doesn't work too well with a gun carried that way.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
It's cutting edge science.
Posted By: nyagwai Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/28/09
If your willing to try a lighter carry piece, a good paddle holster can be very comfortable and still conceal easily under a suit coat. For leather, take a look at the Kramer MSP. Kydex, look at Comp-Tac. I prefer their settable cant paddle because it rides high and a bit tight. A good paddle design can be very comfortable because it distributes the load over a wide area on the hip and reduces pull on the belt.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/28/09
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Who was that football player recently that was carrying like that in a NYC Bar, and shot himself when the gun went south and he grabbed for it?

Plaxico Burress.
Originally Posted by nyagwai
If your willing to try a lighter carry piece, a good paddle holster can be very comfortable and still conceal easily under a suit coat. For leather, take a look at the Kramer MSP. Kydex, look at Comp-Tac. I prefer their settable cant paddle because it rides high and a bit tight. A good paddle design can be very comfortable because it distributes the load over a wide area on the hip and reduces pull on the belt.

Tried the C-TAC. Couldn't stand it.

Much appreciate the thoughts, though.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/28/09
i wear my airweight bodyguard three ways, ankle, pocket, and just stuffed in my pants.

i've been an ankle promoted a long time. it'll give your hip a break.
Posted By: nyagwai Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/28/09
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Tried the C-TAC. Couldn't stand it.

Much appreciate the thoughts, though.

That makes two of us. The C-Tac is an IWB. These are the 2 holsters I was refering to.

http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=17&categoryID=25

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=55

The Kramer MSP is one of the best leather paddle designs available and very comfortable. The Comp-Tac settable cant is available with the paddle option. I have 2 of these and they are also a great design.
I've got a ruptured disc in my lower back, and it "flares up" from time to time. I much prefer IWB carry, so I go from a Kimber aluminum frame 1911 to a S&W 360SC whenever my back is bothering me. Am thinking the S&W weighs about 12 oz. Works for me.
Virgil B.
Sean,
Have you considered moving to a very small auto carried inside your pants pocket?

I've BTDT with sciatica,it ain't fun.The best thing you can do is become more active.The more limber you get,the less it will bother you.

WB.
There's always one of those........... wink

And, yeah, I'm stupid out of shape. Gotta fix that.
Sean,
Here's what I've found that will help relieve pain from a sciatica attack.

Pour a bath that is as hot as you can stand it.Get in and soak until the water starts to cool off.

Then lay face down on the floor and have someone rub the lower half of your back,from the mid back to the tail bone.Try to relax as much as possible during this.You might also want to have them rub your upper back,espically the trapiezius muscle.That's where a lot of folks (including me)hold tension,and that causes the rest of the back to get tensed up,which can cause sciatica.

That's about the only thing I've found that works well,other than heavy duty pain killers.Trust me,those end up being worse than the sciatica after awhile.

WB.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/30/09
Pull my undershirt out ? I wore mine with a shirt over it and never had a problem with this method and place of carry. If you are talking in the front to one side, yes. Or in the center of the back, but not over the hip, just far enough to be around the back for it to be in the natural hollow over the hip.
It doesn't work well with revolvers. But with a flat automatic, butt to front, canted and and resting with the rear sight on the pant top or the belt I've never had a problem. You need to wear a leather belt and it does need to be snug however.
I've done some fighting and some running with a flat auto so carried. Again, if you use a leather belt and situate it properly, there will be not problems. In fact, the big advantages of this position is that it conceals the pistol in a hollow over the hip and it is unusually secure during just such activities. E
Posted By: batch Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/31/09
A good start, but I'd recommend a good massage therapist instead. I've had a few therapeutic massages for similar reasons and the relief is pronounced and lasts a good while. your insurance might even cover it.
Posted By: T LEE Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 03/31/09
Originally Posted by batch
A good start, but I'd recommend a good massage therapist instead. I've had a few therapeutic massages for similar reasons and the relief is pronounced and lasts a good while. your insurance might even cover it.

That is absolute fact, been there and it does work. Thanks for the reminder batch.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/01/09
Haven't read all this thread yet, though I imagine getting into the gym and doing some lower back exercises and others would help reduce the inflammation. I know that when I get some backpain, working out tends to relieve it a fair bit. I imagine some routine stretching (daily) along with possibly a little yoga would go a long way as well.
Posted By: Whip Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/02/09
VAnimrod,
All the above is worthwhile advice, but, being a chiropractor, I have to tell you....go see one! There could be a misalignment issue with your lumbar spine or sacroiliac joint that is getting aggravated with your carry, and often a few adjustments will resolve the misalignment issue, decrease the inflamation, and allow you to carry what you want, how you want, when you want.

Whip
Posted By: saddlesore Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/02/09
Being a 50+ yr patient of back pain with two major back suregery/fusions.I can offer some related advice. I'm no doctor or expert.

Diet ain't going to help you if you have a pinched nerve,herniated discs or the like. Exersize will, if you can strengthen the back muscles,but it won't help your problem much.
When you load your spinal column unevenly,expect trouble.

You most likely have a condition where a nerve is very close to being impinged on. There probably is inflamation which causes swelling which in turn then impinges on the nerve. Arthritus settles in as we age and the spurs and inflammtion developed from that also irratates the nerves and reduces the space that the nerves take up.Once you enter the realm of pains shooting down your leg ,vs an aching back,you enter a whole new dimension

Chiropratic manipulation and message will releive the pain to some extent,but won't heal the condition.It will give the inflamation a chance to subside and thereby relieve that particular incidence,but it will reappear the next time you do something you should not.

All that being said, I would opt for a lighter CCW. There are quite a few out there in the 15-18 oz class. Certainly not the optimum choice for self defnse, but better than a sharp stick. A fanny pack would serve better in the T-shirt condition, with one that is specifically made for CCW carry.That would center the weight. A shoulder holster inside a suit jcaket might work better than a WB carry, taking and redistributing the weight more evenly. A firearm that is under powered,but you carry, is better than one you leave home because it is uncomfortable to carry.

Posted By: VAnimrod Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/03/09
Originally Posted by Whip
VAnimrod,
All the above is worthwhile advice, but, being a chiropractor, I have to tell you....go see one! There could be a misalignment issue with your lumbar spine or sacroiliac joint that is getting aggravated with your carry, and often a few adjustments will resolve the misalignment issue, decrease the inflamation, and allow you to carry what you want, how you want, when you want.

Whip

BT/DT. I have a good one, and see him regularly.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Being a 50+ yr patient of back pain with two major back suregery/fusions.I can offer some related advice. I'm no doctor or expert.

Diet ain't going to help you if you have a pinched nerve,herniated discs or the like. Exersize will, if you can strengthen the back muscles,but it won't help your problem much.
When you load your spinal column unevenly,expect trouble.

You most likely have a condition where a nerve is very close to being impinged on. There probably is inflamation which causes swelling which in turn then impinges on the nerve. Arthritus settles in as we age and the spurs and inflammtion developed from that also irratates the nerves and reduces the space that the nerves take up.Once you enter the realm of pains shooting down your leg ,vs an aching back,you enter a whole new dimension

Chiropratic manipulation and message will releive the pain to some extent,but won't heal the condition.It will give the inflamation a chance to subside and thereby relieve that particular incidence,but it will reappear the next time you do something you should not.

All that being said, I would opt for a lighter CCW. There are quite a few out there in the 15-18 oz class. Certainly not the optimum choice for self defnse, but better than a sharp stick. A fanny pack would serve better in the T-shirt condition, with one that is specifically made for CCW carry.That would center the weight. A shoulder holster inside a suit jcaket might work better than a WB carry, taking and redistributing the weight more evenly. A firearm that is under powered,but you carry, is better than one you leave home because it is uncomfortable to carry.

I think you're right, on all counts.

Damn it........
Posted By: T LEE Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/03/09
Here is your answer Sean smile smile smile
[Linked Image]

Double Huckleberry Shoulder Rig
Can't wear that to the office (well, and keep my job).

If a shoulder holster would work, I'd already be wearing one.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/03/09
Originally Posted by T LEE
Here is your answer Sean smile smile smile
[Linked Image]

Double Huckleberry Shoulder Rig

Man, I LOVE that rig !!!!!!!!...........where can I get one?

MM

Posted By: T LEE Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/03/09
http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: CCW/IWB and sciatica? - 04/03/09
Neat.

MM
© 24hourcampfire