Home
Posted By: Dan360 Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/17/09
I have a Kimber Stainless TLE II and I would like to have it coated with a tough, durable and corrosion resistant finish. Hopefully in black. My questions are:

1: What finish should I look at?

2: How much will it cost?

3: How do they maintain slide to frame tolerances?
Posted By: RickyD Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/17/09
I'd go with Cerakote. About 200.
Originally Posted by Dan360
I have a Kimber Stainless TLE II and I would like to have it coated with a tough, durable and corrosion resistant finish. Hopefully in black. My questions are:

1: What finish should I look at?

2: How much will it cost?

3: How do they maintain slide to frame tolerances?
I've had good luck with Springfield's Armory Kote. You can get it black or choose from several other colors.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/17/09
NP3 is an excellent and very tough finish you might consider. I had my 1911 done and am very pleased. It isn't black, but is a pleasing gray color.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/18/09
I had my Series 70 Colt Commander hard chromed some 15 years ago. After all those years of hard use, not a mark on it, and no rust.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I had my Series 70 Colt Commander hard chromed some 15 years ago. After all those years of hard use, not a mark on it, and no rust.
Yep. I have a Les Baer that's been hard chromed, and it's amazingly tough and corrosion resistant.
Posted By: gwindrider1 Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/19/09
Kimber offers a proprietary frinish they call "KimPro". It's tough!
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/19/09
If BLACK is your preference, there's not quite as many options to choose from. Hard-chrome (generically speaking) is probably the best all-around finish, but nobody has come up with a decent application in a "dark" color yet.

The newest ceramic-based coatings seem to provide the best qualities in a "spray-on" finish.

Here's a couple of places you might find helpful:

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm

http://www.howardguideservice.com/calendar.html
Posted By: Hound_va Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/19/09
Melonite and IonBond would be two metal treatments to look at that aren't spray and bake and can have a dark tone.
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: Tough Finish for 1911 - 11/20/09
Man, a good two-tone is hard to beat, IMO....I'm a sucker for it!
© 24hourcampfire