Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/14/10
Was perusing Ruger's website and noticed they are offering a 4" GP-100 and a stainless 5 1/2" Blackhawk in .327 Magnum.

Then I noticed the GP-100 is a 7 shooter and the Blackhawk will hold 8.

I seem to recall Bugs Bunny playing a trick on Yosemite Sam where he had a 7 shooter and Sam, counting six shots from Bugs' gun, figured he was safe.

Interesting. Doesn't really induce heavy breathing in yours truly like the Bisley Flattops, both of these guns seem a bit heavy for a smaller bore like that. I would have figured a Single-Six so chambered would be neat.

But I can sure see where the folks that liked the .32 H&R Smiths might appreciate these.

"He farred six, I got the varmint now..." wink
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/14/10
I agree with you an easy packing size is the only way I'd be interested in the .327... I would want at least a 4" barrel but less weight to haul around.
Posted By: runninmike Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
That 327 would be an interesting deal for me if offered in a stainless 4-5/8" bbl with a Bisley grip.
Posted By: eh76 Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
Out of curiosity what happened to the 32 H&R Magnum? And what is the benefit of this new cartridge over it? Or is it simply the same with a new name e.g. 280 Rem vs 7mm Rem Express. I have not kept up with the new stuff.
Posted By: RufusG Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Out of curiosity what happened to the 32 H&R Magnum? And what is the benefit of this new cartridge over it?

The 32 H&R Magnum didn't go anywhere, it's just not too many folks are paying any attention to it. The 327 is longer and I think runs at a higher pressure so it has more oomph.
Posted By: croldfort Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
and the .327 Mag revolvers will shoot the .32 H&R Mag, and the .32 Long. I was hoping for a 3" adjustable sight model.
Posted By: eh76 Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
Thanks for the answers. I agree with you croldfort on the 3" adj sight model. That would be handy.
Posted By: RufusG Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/15/10
Originally Posted by croldfort
and the .327 Mag revolvers will shoot the .32 H&R Mag, and the .32 Long. I was hoping for a 3" adjustable sight model.

and I'll add something else. Last week I chrono'd some factory 32 H&R ammo, and it barely beat some ancient 32 long I had laying around. Which may be a big part of the reason no one pays attention to the H&R.

It seems they're trying to not let that happen with the 327. Should be hard to wear out a GP or BH chambered as such with good lively loads..
Posted By: stray round Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/16/10
I don't understand Ruger's thinking on these two 327 revolvers. Why not just put it into the Super Redhawk frame and make a really too heavy handgun.

If they had put the 327 into the Single-Six frame I'd be all over it. A light packing gun in a really good caliber for a woods loafing/small game/varmit caliber.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Was perusing Ruger's website and noticed they are offering a 4" GP-100 and a stainless 5 1/2" Blackhawk in .327 Magnum.

I would love to get my hands on either one, but I am not going to hold my breath. I have been asking after a 327 of any type since they were first mentioned in the gun rags. I have been unable to find one from Boise to Ontario.

What I would really like to see, would be a 4 inch SP 101 in 327. It would make a handy little trail gun and be a lot more interesting (to me) than a 38.
Posted By: leomort Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/17/10
Ruger's website show the SP101 w/ 3" barrel and adjustable sights in 327fed already available....so that looks like a nice trail gun right there..
Posted By: bruinruin Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/17/10

[/quote]I would love to get my hands on either one, but I am not going to hold my breath. I have been asking after a 327 of any type since they were first mentioned in the gun rags. I have been unable to find one from Boise to Ontario.

What I would really like to see, would be a 4 inch SP 101 in 327. It would make a handy little trail gun and be a lot more interesting (to me) than a 38. [/quote]

Yep. I'd have to have one myself if they made it with a 4" barrel. Like to see the SP 101 4" .22lr back in the line up too.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/17/10
I am one who very much likes the .32 H&R Mag cartridge - (regardless of wherever it's going). I have a S&W 432 PD Airweight snub-nose revolver (wife's actually), and a Ruger Birdshead grip Single-Six in that forsaken but un-dying caliber.

Both of these revolvers are more than a 'hoot' to shoot. They are pure pleasure to shoot, and both pack a punch with surprising accuracy.

The 'new' .327 Mag. cartridge HAS my attention ... but the platforms available to utilize this caliber have so far failed to trip my trigger.

Ruger has been one of the first manufacturers to offer a revolver chambered in this unique NEW caliber ... BUT, I think they missed a rare and historic opportunity - When they introduced the first compact LCR polymer-framed REVOLVER in .38 Spl. only ... and not (at least, also) in the .327 MAG. chambering.

I think a Poly Ruger LCR .327 Mag. would be a match made in Heaven, or HELL ... If, that .327 round is actually THAT HOT!
Posted By: Tony Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/17/10
I agree though I would add that I have zero use for a 44 Special Bisley which is another tank IMO.
Originally Posted by leomort
Ruger's website show the SP101 w/ 3" barrel and adjustable sights in 327fed already available....so that looks like a nice trail gun right there..

Listed in the catalog?......yes.

Actually available in the gun shops? Not really!
Posted By: tbetts Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/21/10
I own a 327mag.Reason CCW. hits like a 357 but with less recoil
I can fire 32h&r,32s&wlong,which is much cheaper.I an shoot any 32 except the auto.I do however keep it loaded with six rounds of mag shock amo.
I have the 3" barrel measured from the cylinder to the barrel tip.The mag pressure is around 40k and sends the 100gr out at
around 1375 fps.At 48 feet I can consitantly hit 6 in a six inch circle.I have had no trouble with this weapon and have fired well over 600 rounds through it.
Compared to my buddies 357 he is jeolous.
Posted By: tbetts Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/21/10
Idaho Shooter,
Guns and leather in Greenbrier,Tn.have them.
One problem I fine is gettin ammunition for any 32 caliber.
Ammo does not bother me as long as I can find a few hundred empty cases to start with.

I will keep checking the shelves at our local dealers. They all tell that I am far from the only guy looking for a 327. Our dealers just can not seem to get any from the distributors.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/21/10
IS - we are always last in line for anything new. You'll start seeing 'em here as soon as everybody else has had their chance. wink
Posted By: TexasRick Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/21/10
I have no problem seeing the usefulness of the .327 Federal. While it's not the "powerhouse" defensive round that some would have you believe, it CAN serve that purpose.

What I see it as is an almost perfect general-purpose woods walking round. It is a bit much for small edible game, but can be used if head shots are taken and, in a pinch, can be used for much larger game such as deer or hogs with careful bullet placement.

The only reason I can't get too excited about it is that it basically already exists.......and is called the .32-20. I have been using te .32-20 for more than 40 years and it can do anything the .327 will......and more. In a thick walled revolver such as the SAA, it's fairly easy to load 115 grain bullets over healthy doses of 2400 and get 1500 fps at the muzzle. Nothing "wrong" with he .327, it's just redundant to me.

Several have mentioned wanting the .327 in a Ruger Single-Six. That might be a problem on several levels. First, the .327 is almost too long to fit the Single-Six cylinder (the .32-20 IS too long, that's why it's never been chambered in the Single-Six either). Bullets would have to be deeply seated and reduce powder capasity. Even if the overall length of the .327 was fitted into a Single-Six.....the cylinder walls would be too thin to safely load it to full strength. If your going to "down-load" the .327 to be safe......why not just use the .32 H&R in the first place?

The .327 Fed. is, to me, more of an "ohhhh....ahhhh it's NEW" type round rather than anything revolutionary.
For years I have longed for a light, easily carried trail gun with about a four inch barrel, chambered in 30 carbine.

It would have a fairly flat trajectory, low recoil, and I think the vicious muzzle blast of the 30 carbine could be mediated by the use of pistol powders appropriate to the muzzle length.

Of course no body ever made anything of that nature. But the 327 mag is about as close as one can come to its ballistic twin.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/24/10
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
For years I have longed for a light, easily carried trail gun with about a four inch barrel, chambered in 30 carbine.

It would have a fairly flat trajectory, low recoil, and I think the vicious muzzle blast of the 30 carbine could be mediated by the use of pistol powders appropriate to the muzzle length.

Of course no body ever made anything of that nature. But the 327 mag is about as close as one can come to its ballistic twin.

Both the .30Carb and .327Mag operate at the same pressure - @44K. Far more than the .32-20, while a great cartridge - IS NOT as powerful as the new .327M.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/24/10
I actually have no idea what pressure my .32-20 handloads operate at. What I DO know is that they will push a 115 grain hard-cast bullet to 1500 fps in strong (SAA) revolver. I'd not like to shoot such loads in a smaller revolver such as Police Positive......but in the SAA they work quite well.

I admit I've never actually chronographed the .327 even though I have fired a few rounds. However, most published test results show it shoots a 100 grain bullet at 1500 fps and a 115 grain at 1400 or so.

Let's see......32-20 is 115 grain @ 1500......327 is 115 Grain @ 1400. That's close enough to "equal" for me no matter what pressure they are producing. That small difference could be different barrel lengths or individual revolvers......so I call it a draw.
Posted By: eh76 Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/26/10

Jerry's Sport Center ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brand New - In Stock!

Ruger Blackhawk .327 Federal:

KBN-3275, 5-1/2" Stainless Barrel, Rosewood Laminated Grips, Adjustable Sights:

RUP0353 - $446.88

Ruger GP100 .327 Federal:

KGP43277, 4.2" Stainless Barrel, Hogue Grip, Adjustable Sights, 7 Shot:

RUP1748 - $460.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jerry's Sport Center, Inc.
Forest City, PA
800-234-2612
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outdoor Sports Headquarters, Inc.
Dayton, OH
800-444-6744

Simmons Gun Specialties, Inc.
Spring Hill, KS
800-444-0220

Jerry's Sport Center, N.E.
Newington, CT
800-456-5595

Bonitz Brothers, Inc.
Harrisburg, PA
800-825-7060

Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: New Rugers in .327 Mag - 01/26/10
Okay ...... new .327 handguns ...... smirk

But does anyone ANYWHERE have any ammo in stock?

I have a standing order for four boxes (200rds) of Federal .327 Mag soft point ammo (50rds/bx). My local hardware/ma & pa gun shop said I'm 4th or 5th in line behind others hoping to buy sime .327M ammo.
© 24hourcampfire