Home
Can you guys recommend a good inside the waistband holster for summer concealed carry of a 1911 5" slide ? I want the slimmest but most comfortable I can find.

Thanx in advance.
Milt Sparks Summer Special.
Or Milt Sparks Executive Companion.
I can already see this is going to be a tough decision.
I like the Eric Larson IWB. Very much like a Milt Sparks, but you can get it much more quickly!

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

405wcf
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Can you guys recommend a good inside the waistband holster for summer concealed carry of a 1911 5" slide ? I want the slimmest but most comfortable I can find.

Thanx in advance.
Been doing just that for a long time. What you need is a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Here's mine. Carries a full sized, all steel, 1911 with perfect comfort all day long.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Colt Pre-70 Government.JPG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I used to like the Executive Companion till I discovered the Versa Max II. The Executive Companion doesn't have nearly the stability of the VM-II. I think the same can be said for the Summer Special, since it's pretty close to the Executive Companion in design.
So do you have to wear a pair of loose fitting pants to be comfortable?
I have both the Executive Companion & Summer Special & while they are both fine holsters, they both share a trait which I find less than ideal.

The both have the belt loops directly on top of the holster & that just leads to unnecessary bugling & bulk.

Summer Special Type holster
[Linked Image]

After much experimentation, the holster I now prefer is the Brommeland........it's thin so it conceals well, holds the guns very well & has more forward cant than most holsters. It's very comfortable.

Brommeland Holster:
[Linked Image]

It is basically the same design as as the Sparks Versa Max II, but is thinner, & therefore, IMO, conceals better & I like its more forward cant better to0 as I think it puts the gun butt in a better position.

Holsters are pretty personal & body style has a big influence on both preference & comfort........you just need to try some different style & manufacturers to see what works best for you.

Gets a little expensive though.

MM
THis is great. Keep 'em coming please.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Nope. I take no consideration for the IWB holster when I buy pants. When I'm not carrying, I just tighten the belt one more notch than when I am.
What is it like sitting down with one of these type holsters?
that largely depends on the man. Full size 1911 is no mouse gun, and a smaller fellow has a more difficult time with carrying one IWB.
Body type also plays a big part. Fat guys don't have much room in those britches for anything other than a roll of fat. smile

I like leather by Sam Andrews, and don't forget a Quality belt as well.
[Linked Image]
You might consider the Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't really carry a 1911 much as a G29 or a Kahr P40 conceal easier for me but I use a Supertuck for those. The 1911 I bought came with, interestingly enough, a "combat cut" Supertuck. It's still not my primary carry gun but for the raving hell of it I have carried it and it does work, and pretty comfortably at that.
I much prefer to carry w/o a holster if I go for maximum concealment. It's been called "calvary carry" by some. The gun goes in the waistband, butt to front, and canted to the rear over the strong side hip. Hides better than anything else out there for two reasons.
It adds nothing to increase bulk.
Since the grip/butt is inline with the slide and barrel, it doesn't print nearly as easily.
Lots of other points for it too. Very secure, can be drawn with either hand, etc. E
A crossbreed supertuck is a wonderful holster, thin, flexible, comfortable, it has a sweat shield and you will want a sweat shield. That said for IWB carry I prefer a shorter 1911. The issue is sitting in the car or a backed chair, not walking or standing.

I won't go into the multitude of reason to always use a holster.
What is it like sitting down with one of these type holsters?
I forget I'm carrying a gun. Sometimes I'm sure I must have forgotten to put one on that day, and reach back to make sure. Sitting in bucket seats is sometimes noticeable, but only requires a slight adjustment of the gun's position to fix it.
Anyone had any success with the small of the back inside the waistband carry with no holster?
I have carried in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for about 4 years now everyday and find it extremely comfortable. I have used Eric's holsters and they are great also. One thing to remember with IWB carry is to make sure that you get at least a size larger in the waist than you normally wear and invest in a good quality gun belt.
A couple of points... My vote for the best IWB holster is hands down the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. By far the most comfortable rig I've used in over twenty years of packing. I haven�t used them all, especially various customs from all makers, but the Versa Max II is just so well thought out and comfortable I cannot see any improvements to be made. It beats Sparks�s older designs by a stretch IMHO. The gun belt is as big a choice as the holster is, maybe more important in some cases. I�ve been using a horsehide belt from Jim Speidel �The Beltman� for awhile now and it is superb. Good enough that I just ordered another one in a different color.

Another point, I really prefer the 4" Commander over the Gov�t Model. I�ve toted both and the lightweight Commander is the top choice for me. I realize that is subjective, but the weight and length differences are noticeable to me.

I detest NOT using a holster. It is not secure and the gun does walk out the top line of the waistband with any sort of activity. Early in my career I saw way too many officers spill a gun out of their beltline from not packing in a quality holster. It was in fashion to pack �Mexican Carry� for awhile back in the day, but so were a lot of things we would consider risky now. When I helped write my department firearms policy holster less carry was forbidden and strictly against department policy. Along the same lines, Small of the Back carry is also a poor choice. The gun in SOB carry isn�t readily available to the user, but IS quite accessible to anyone else. That is a bad thing, as is the fact that if you fall backward on it you can damage the gun and suffer back injury from the hard impact of the gun on your spine.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I used to like the Executive Companion till I discovered the Versa Max II. The Executive Companion doesn't have nearly the stability of the VM-II. I think the same can be said for the Summer Special, since it's pretty close to the Executive Companion in design.

Looking around on the net it looks as if prices off the Sparks website are cheaper than people are selling used. I don't get it. Am I reading something wrong? You can get the Versa Max 2 for 112 to 145, right?

Sparks

ebay

Anyone had any success with the small of the back inside the waistband carry with no holster?
Sure. I did that for several years back in the early 1990s. Works OK, in terms of comfort and concealment, but not so great when it comes to stability and a quick draw. The main reason I did it was that there were few good choices available back then in IWB holsters. The main reason I gave it up was that two times I forgot it was there, pulled off my undershirt, and "CLUNK," the gun fell on the floor.
Originally Posted by MOGC
A couple of points... My vote for the best IWB holster is hands down the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. By far the most comfortable rig I've used in over twenty years of packing. I haven�t used them all, especially various customs from all makers, but the Versa Max II is just so well thought out and comfortable I cannot see any improvements to be made. It beats Sparks�s older designs by a stretch IMHO. The gun belt is as big a choice as the holster is, maybe more important in some cases. I�ve been using a horsehide belt from Jim Speidel �The Beltman� for awhile now and it is superb. Good enough that I just ordered another one in a different color.

Another point, I really prefer the 4" Commander over the Gov�t Model. I�ve toted both and the lightweight Commander is the top choice for me. I realize that is subjective, but the weight and length differences are noticeable to me.

I detest NOT using a holster. It is not secure and the gun does walk out the top line of the waistband with any sort of activity. Early in my career I saw way too many officers spill a gun out of their beltline from not packing in a quality holster. It was in fashion to pack �Mexican Carry� for awhile back in the day, but so were a lot of things we would consider risky now. When I helped write my department firearms policy holster less carry was forbidden and strictly against department policy. Along the same lines, Small of the Back carry is also a poor choice. The gun in SOB carry isn�t readily available to the user, but IS quite accessible to anyone else. That is a bad thing, as is the fact that if you fall backward on it you can damage the gun and suffer back injury from the hard impact of the gun on your spine.
Good post. I even agree that a Lightweight Commander .45 is a slightly better carry gun than an all steel Government Model .45 (both great carry guns), but the slight improvement I notice in carry and quick draw characteristics with the Lightweight Commander is more than made up for, in my opinion, by the improved shooting characteristics of an all steel, full sized, Government Model .45. YMMV.

PS I find an all-steel ("Combat") Commander configuration to be an excellent compromise.
Looking around on the net it looks as if prices off the Sparks website are cheaper than people are selling used. I don't get it. Am I reading something wrong? You can get the Versa Max 2 for 112 to 145, right?
laugh There's a simple explanation for that. If you order from the manufacturer, you will have to be placed on an eight month or longer waiting list, that is assuming they are even taking orders when you call. Sometimes if they are too backed up, they stop even taking orders. When you buy a used one in good condition, it can be on your belt and inside your waistband in a couple of days, or sooner.
Marked up 'eBay holster sales' really ticks off the folks at Milt Sparks. Nowadays you can only order two holsters at a time and they have to be for different handguns.
Originally Posted by JOG
Marked up 'eBay holster sales' really ticks off the folks at Milt Sparks. Nowadays you can only order two holsters at a time and they have to be for different handguns.
Yep, I know. I don't think they have anything against selling a used one, though. They just don't like people ordering them made with the intention of putting them up for sale on ebay for a huge mark up. They don't want their manufacturing system clogged up with profiteers because they want to keep it available for the customers who actually want to use them for themselves.
Sure. I did that for several years back in the early 1990s. Works OK, in terms of comfort and concealment, but not so great when it comes to stability and a quick draw. The main reason I did it was that there were few good choices available back then in IWB holsters. The main reason I gave it up was that two times I forgot it was there, pulled off my undershirt, and "CLUNK," the gun fell on the floor.

LOL..........TV & the real world are two different things.

MM
Another +1 for the Milt Sparks VMII. I use one to carry a 4" all steel model. Have worn mine in 100 deg temps with just a t-shirt over it and was completely comfortable.
I suggest the Milt Sparks Watch-Six IWB holster.
Try this one:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Don_Hume_PCCH_1911_IWB_holster#UNREAD

Travis

I do. Some don't.

Travis
"Mexican carry" in the front of the body or on the side is in no way like "calvary carry" in the hollow between the ribs and one's hip. The user has to bend away slightly and pivot it out, away from the body, to draw it, otherwise, it can't be drawn.
I've done a fair amount of running and fighting with a large, flat auto so carried and the gun stays put. That, and it ability to hide better are the two major points in favor of it's use. E
Originally Posted by Planemech
A crossbreed supertuck is a wonderful holster, thin, flexible, comfortable, it has a sweat shield and you will want a sweat shield. That said for IWB carry I prefer a shorter 1911. The issue is sitting in the car or a backed chair, not walking or standing.

I won't go into the multitude of reason to always use a holster.

I also have one of these - they are made with horsehide and its a very good vapor barrier. Very comfortable rig. Don't let the size of it fool you - that's part of what makes it so comfortable.
To each his own, but SuperTucks do absolutely nothing that a Brommeland, or a Sparks VMII, or a Nossar don't at least as well or better.

MM

I use and the the Mitch Rossen USD ll. This is a very comfrotable holster that I hardly know is there

http://www.mitchrosen.com/new_products/new_products.html

I too am a fan of Andrews Leather with his MacDaniel II rig:
[Linked Image]

And of the many homage holsters out there to the Versa Max II, I'm partial to C5 Leather's Montana XL
[Linked Image]

Both are highly recommended no nonsense IWB holsters smile
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I have both the Executive Companion & Summer Special & while they are both fine holsters, they both share a trait which I find less than ideal.

The both have the belt loops directly on top of the holster & that just leads to unnecessary bugling & bulk.

[Linked Image]

After much experimentation, the holster I now prefer is the Brommeland........it's thin so it conceals well, holds the guns very well & has more forward cant than most holsters. It's very comfortable.

Brommeland Holster:
[Linked Image]

It is basically the same design as as the Sparks Versa Max II, but is thinner, & therefore, IMO, conceals better & I like its more forward cant better to0 as I think it puts the gun butt in a better position.

Holsters are pretty personal & body style has a big influence on both preference & comfort........you just need to try some different style & manufacturers to see what works best for you.

MM

Thanks for the tip on the Brommeland!

I've had the Versa-max and the Executive companion, and you are correct about the loop placement issue. I found the EX to be more comfortable for some reason though. Gonna have to try that Brommeland...

Belts - makes a huge difference to have a good belt. That Sparks contoured belt is awesome good!
I live ten minutes from Andrews Gun Leather, and I cannot get him to answer his phone. Tried dozens of times. Finally drove to his home/shop, but it didn't seem like a public shop of any kind, so didn't feel right walking up to the front door of his home and knocking. Tried writing a letter and asking how to place an order, but got no response. You cannot order through his website either. How in hell did you guys who have his products ever get your orders in?
El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser/ Colt Combat Commander or LW Commander. jorge

[Linked Image]
Since I am not at my fighting weight, for those of us that have a bit of a roll to contend with.....what happens when you sit down with these various holsters? Do they pivot with you? I can't afford to spend the money to buy several from which to choose.
Holsters don't pivot when attached to a belt............

But I can say that I have no problem sitting with any of them that I've used.

I'm 6', 210 lb.

MM
Since I am not at my fighting weight, for those of us that have a bit of a roll to contend with.....what happens when you sit down with these various holsters? Do they pivot with you? I can't afford to spend the money to buy several from which to choose.
I'm about 25 pounds overweight, and I don't have a problem with mine at all. Very comfortable.

My first choice was going to be the Milt Sparks Versa Max II, but they would not even accept an order until July, and then I would have a window of a few days to get my order in...then about a six month wait.

I called Brommeland and got the owner on the phone. He has been making holsters since 1984, the guy really takes pride in his product. He happened to be making some 1911 holsters this week, so he told me I might get one in as little as two weeks, so I went with this one.

He made a point of telling me that the one of the belt loops will be a little larger than the other so that when one sits down the holster can shift a little to accommodate that position, and making draw easier. He said he tried the holster like that years ago, and it worked well, so they send all their holsters with that configuration.

[Linked Image]

My first choice was going to be the Milt Sparks Versa Max II, but they would not even accept an order until July, and then I would have a window of a few days to get my order in...then about a six month wait.

I called Brommeland and got the owner on the phone. He has been making holsters since 1984, the guy really takes pride in his product. He happened to be making some 1911 holsters this week, so he told me I might get one in as little as two weeks, so I went with this one.

He made a point of telling me that the one of the belt loops will be a little larger than the other so that when one sits down the holster can shift a little to accommodate that position, and making draw easier. He said he tried the holster like that years ago, and it worked well, so they send all their holsters with that configuration.

[Linked Image]

That looks like a fine IWB holster. It's basically a rip -ff of the Milt Sparks VM II. Can't speak to quality. I suspect you'll be happy with it, though.
I am very thankful for all this input. You guys are the greatest.
That, being able to adjust where and how it rides is another desirable point for the no holster, "Calvary Carry" system. I can position the thing anywhere from the center of my back to my strong side if I so desire or need to. Or I can reverse it for an "FBI" position. E
I live ten minutes from Andrews Gun Leather, and I cannot get him to answer his phone. Tried dozens of times. Finally drove to his home/shop, but it didn't seem like a public shop of any kind, so didn't feel right walking up to the front door of his home and knocking. Tried writing a letter and asking how to place an order, but got no response. You cannot order through his website either. How in hell did you guys who have his products ever get your orders in?

I placed mine by phone but that was 11 years ago smile

I've read recently where he was present at some local gun shows so he's still in business. Bets are vacation or a health issue. I'd knock on his door.
I have to agree with the Versa Max II.
[Linked Image]

I got it here: Lightning Arms You can also get one quicker at Top Gun.

I should take delivery of this one shortly, [Linked Image] the IBS by John Ralston (5 Shot Leather). The above link may have some in stock.
My two favorites.

VMII
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And Milt Sparks BN 55 (Bruce Nelson). A little shark skin around the top.
[Linked Image]

Alan
Very nice.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

[Linked Image]

Brommeland Holster:
[Linked Image]

MM

Just received mine. Great holster...BUT...follow his directions on breaking it in. My typical unload the weapon holster and draw till it feels right was a mistake. Thought I was gonna have to cut the pistol out of it. Works great after breaking it in as per directions.
Good advise on the break-in. I would have done the same thing and just holstered it. I just placed an order for a Brommeland
I was 5 min away from the box cutter extrication method, but his breakin works and it is a great holster...I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Good advise on the break-in. I would have done the same thing and just holstered it. I just placed an order for a Brommeland

You will not regret getting a Brommeland; definitely superior to Sparks.

MM
any recommendations for an outside the waistband? Brommelands again? I kind of like the idea of a thumb break for an outside the waistband holster, so was looking at a Mitch Rosen.

any recommendations for an outside the waistband? Brommelands again? I kind of like the idea of a thumb break for an outside the waistband holster, so was looking at a Mitch Rosen.

I like my Blachawk Serpa for that.

No experience with Rosen, tho many use & like them.

The Brommeland DefCon is just as good as his IWB stuff if you want to spend the money.

For a cheapie, I really like the ITAC Roto Paddle. It works very well & the gun slides in & out really slick-like & you can adjust forward cant.

MM
I actually have one for a Sig226. It's generally OK, but I think it's a little bit sloppy or thick. It doesn't really hold "snug" next to the hip.
Owning Brommeland, Nossar, Sparks, Alessi, Rosen, Del Fatti, 5 Shot, Bulman, and several other makers holsters, I find it difficult to say that any of those named is "significantly" better than the other. All of these makers are at the top of their craft making great holsters. One may carry slightly different for each individual, but that does not mean what works exceptionally well for me will work as well for another. Differences between the Sparks VMII and the Brommeland MCV include mouth reinforcement, material thickness, ride height, and rake. Ride height and rake play a significant role in whether or not a holster is comfortable to an individual.
I actually have one for a Sig226. It's generally OK, but I think it's a little bit sloppy or thick. It doesn't really hold "snug" next to the hip.

Well, you're right. That is why I started this thread in search of an Inside the Waist Band holster which, prior to this thread I knew nothing about.
This has been a good thread. I purchased a Brommelands IWB for a Dan Wesson CBOB based on the suggestions here. I'll post my feedback on the Brommelands, once I receive it.
© 24hourcampfire