Home
Posted By: Oregon45 What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
What handgun do you own that is just plain fun? You know the one, the gun that you'll take to the range just for the heck of it. That you'll let a knew shooter shoot because you know it'll get them excited about the sport; and the gun that, whether its practical or not, you won't get rid of because it's just too much fun?

Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

Browning High Power sport model: 9mm, full size, hard chromed with adjustable sights. Recoil? Nil. Accuracy? Great. Cleaning? It's hard chrome! A little break-free on a rag and its done. The frame is narrow enough that even a small woman can handle it well; the balance is good enough that even large men can appreciate the feel. The high visibility sights make shooting easy and any load can be accomodated. Yup, whatever else this gun is, it is just plain fun grin
Posted By: FreeMe Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
Nice!

Mine...Ruger MKIII Hunter with all the VQ internals, Hogue thumbrest grip, and Burris Fastfire sight. Sorry - no pics right now.

Everyone has a hard time putting it down. smile

This thread is troubling. Of all the revolvers and pistols I own, I honestly don't think of a single one of them as a "fun" gun. Each has a serious, dedicated purpose -- albeit with considerable overlap.

Now I'm going to have to go buy something, dammit...
Posted By: Tony Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
That would be my 41 Special.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A Ruger MK 11 with a 4" BB and thumbrest grips is ONE of my "fun guns"

I seem to hit very well with it, and that makes it FUN!

Virgil B.
Uberti Schofield replica.
Posted By: JSH Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
Not sure I could pick just one but I agree with you on the Hi-Power. I love 1911s but my Hi-Power Practical is just plain fun to shoot. For rimfires I would pick my Smith and Wesson Model 41 for its ability to shoot tiny little groups when I do my part.
Posted By: RJM Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
Guess this is the one I take for "fun"...great looking, very accurate, slow to load, .22/.22 Magnum so I don't have to reload...

USFA 5.5" Flat Top Target...Safariland Sight Track Holster

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

Posted By: Bighorn Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
That would be my Smith and Wesson Mod. 63 Kit Gun, with 4" barrel.

Went to the range with my grandson last month, with the Mod. 63. It was his first try with a handgun. Not only could he shoot it like a champ, I think he's hooked on handgun shooting for life!!
Ruger Mark III 22/45
[Linked Image]
Beautiful guns guys! Tony: that 41 Special is fantastic. Was the work done by Hamilton Bowen? I've got a 32 Mag Single Six that could stand to be something different...
Posted By: Tony Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Beautiful guns guys! Tony: that 41 Special is fantastic. Was the work done by Hamilton Bowen? I've got a 32 Mag Single Six that could stand to be something different...

No. Alan Harton did it for me. Bowen and most others won't do one.
Posted By: RufusG Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
Originally Posted by JSH
I would pick my Smith and Wesson Model 41

That's where I'd start. If not that one of the K-22s.
This would be my contribution to range introduction of a new shooter.

[Linked Image]

Caspian frame with all the goodies with a Colt Conversion on top.

Greg
The High Power is a fun gun to shoot. High cap. Hardly any recoil. Feels good in the hand. Easy to put holes in the bull's eye.
The guns I shoot just because I like them.....with no real use include my C-96 Broomhandle Mauser (with shoulder stock) and a pair of Iver Johnson break-top revolvers in .32 S&W and .38 S&W.

Odd but when given her choice of some 75 handguns, my wife chose the .32 Iver Johnson as "her gun". She shoots the others and likes them, but that little break-top is her favorite.....just for fun.

I would include my SAA in .32-20 as a "fun" gun......but it gets used too much for serious purposes such as a general woods walking pistol so it doesn't really quailify as one used "just because".
Ruger MKII 5.5" BB. Accurate, very shootable, and inexpensive to run.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
mk II is my fun gun and my linebaughs always go to range also but not fun for everyone or beginners
Originally Posted by Bighorn
That would be my Smith and Wesson Mod. 63 Kit Gun, with 4" barrel.

+1

I also would add my S&W 631 32 mag kit gun w/ 4" barrel. Equally mild and fun to shoot.
Posted By: mpmax Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/24/10
A Smith Model 10 heavy barrel with a bomar ramp. I'll always regret trading it off...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
Easy....Ruger Bisley.22... laugh

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Hadn't thought about it but looking back my Super Blackhawk 7� barrel, iron sights, makes almost every trip to the range whether the trip is primarily for rifle or handgun. Always fun to finish the day with half a box or so of full power rounds.
Posted By: Odessa Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
Blackhawk for me too. I rotate between a .41 MAG, a .45 Colt, and a .44 MAG. One of them goes everytime I want to shoot a handgun.

This is the .41 MAG:
[Linked Image]

Holster worn Ruger 22 Single-six + Winchester 22LR + can = a lot of fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
I have recently "re-discovered" my Colt Officers Model Match .22 LR, DA Revolver adj. rear/ramped front sights - that I purchased new in 1971.

Due to the somewhat recent ammo shortage and rising prices I have been taking my .22's out to the ranges and the fields- and have had a lot of fun.

I have taken this great revolver for granted for way too many years and only recently have come to really appreciate what a treasure it is.
Posted By: Hoz Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
I am going against the grain! I love shooting my Remington XP100R
My Ruger New Vaquero & SBH Hunter in 45 Colt hands down.
What else? my huntsman22.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
Who'd a guessed??? grin

Ingwe
yeah....
My S&W 460 XVR but I only let experienced shooters shoot it. It brought the fun back into shooting handguns for me.
Posted By: justy Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
My ruger super red 44 mag
My Ruger 5 1/2" Single six and my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag with the dragoon grip but barrel cut down to 5 1/2" also.
29 with grips by executioner

[Linked Image]
Stainless Ruger MKII 5.5 bb is my favorite, just because and into gun, I love my Kimber 1911's to though. And would like a custom Ruger Bisley chambered for 45 Colt some time soon.
S&W 66-2 in .357.....6.5"bbl
Taurus Raging Bull 44mag
Ruger MKII 5.5" bull bbl

I've had LOTS of .357's but this one is by far the most accurate.
My new favorite?
Walther PK 380
It's always with me
AND it hits EVRYthing I point it at.
I even use it for compact pin shoots.
It won't clear a table, but knocks off the rails like a 45
Soft shooting for a pocket gun.
Yes after the 22's
it's the new Walther
I mentioned my 22 Conversion for teaching but this might actually be the one I like for that chore. Huntsman got my juices going and I'm going to make sure this one makes a trip to the desert this week.

[Linked Image]

Greg
I have a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in .41Mag that I bought new in the early 80's. It carries Hogue rubber fingergroove grips, a Bisley hammer, and the old Bullseye springs. I also have an old Colt Official Police 4" .38Spec that feels like a Python. These guns are not pretty, but they are very accurate and super smooth.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
Pre-war Colt Woodsman, 6" barrel. Best invention ever for killing time and putting a smile on my face!
Or there is that pre-war, pre-woodsman, 6" barrel, bead-sighted one that does the same for me.

[Linked Image]
Mine's a Kimber Custom Target, SS in .45 ACP. Target shooting, small game hunting, steel shooting and just plain old plinking. Does it all. E
Browning Buckmark
Yep. buckmarks are real fun, too

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kimber Eclipse Pro ll. I've burned some powder in this one.
Posted By: Tony Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/25/10
My 38 WCF Ruger Flattop is another "fun" one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jds44 Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/26/10
Browning Buckmark for me.
[Linked Image]
Browning Buckmark for me also...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/26/10
i like the Rugers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 340boy Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/26/10
O45,
That looks very nice.
My fun gun would have to be my Glock 19.
It is also my CCW gun and open carry weapon in the sticks.
I love that thing!
My new Taurus .41 mag.

Dan Wesson .357 with nine inch barrel screwed on. I usually run .38 wadcutters. It is a very accurate revolver.
Ruger MKIII for me, VQ guts

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tip926 Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/27/10
Smith 17
Posted By: RS308MX Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/27/10
My fun gun is a Colt Woodsman, 1st Series Match Target, Bulleys Eye Model. History and fun all at once!

Bob
Ruger MKIII stainless with the 5 1/2" bull. Drives tacks and has never hiccuped.
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Ruger MKIII stainless with the 5 1/2" bull. Drives tacks and has never hiccuped.

I have one of those. I can't get the rear sight low enough to get it to raise the point of impact enough.

Any suggestions short of scoping it?
+1 on the Browning Buckmark....my only complaint is that 10 rounds is not enough...I'm constantly loading magazines for everyone and don't get to shoot it myself! My oldest (almost 16yrs old) asks me if I'm taking "her" gun to the range.

Elk Country

Posted By: Bristoe Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/29/10
.32 longs are fun guns. Here's a couple of my old 1920's poppers. Drop one in your pocket,..fill the other pocket with 90 grain hollow base wadcutters over 1.8 grains of Bullseye,...you're ready for some fun.

[Linked Image]
I've been playing with a pre-lock 3" S&W 317 Airlite that I bought off the Campfire classifieds. It's a blast to shoot and no handloading required!
Not as cool as the old .32s, though.
Without a doubt, this would be the first pick,the Huntsman

[Linked Image]

and this one is also great for first timers, the 5.7X28

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I have one of those. I can't get the rear sight low enough to get it to raise the point of impact enough.

Well if the pistol is shooting LOW then you need to RAISE the rear sight. You move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to move. It seems counterintuitive but that is the way it works.

Greg
Smith Mod. 63
[Linked Image]
S&W M15-7 .38 SP. It is so easy to shoot accurately.

Expat
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/30/10
Smith 617 6" 10-shot .22, any Buckmark or Ruger MKIII with a red dot.

Sorry I can't offer any meaningful advice on this. Mine has been excellent from day one. Just adjusted the windage and was up and running. One of the more knowledgeable members on here may have experience with it. Dave
Posted By: tlfw Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 07/30/10
S&W 617...

[Linked Image]

and the S&W 686...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GLShooter

Well if the pistol is shooting LOW then you need to RAISE the rear sight. You move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to move. It seems counterintuitive but that is the way it works.

Of course you are correct. I had a brain fart, please disregard. I forgot about the super high tang sight on my Quigly rifle. Shot the Ruger today and its titz on.

Greg
Well not that the rest of have ever done that. Glad it is on target for you now.

Greg
My 4" 651 22 Magnum.
Currently, I'm having a lot of fun with this one -- Ruger SS w/22 mag cylinder..

[Linked Image]

But this one has provided 50 years of fun -- S&W Model 17 in 22 LR!

[Linked Image]

And this one has accompanied me in a whole slew of out-of-the-way places since the late 70s -- a S&W 34 in 22 LR.

[Linked Image]
I don't have any pics, but it's an old model ruger blackhawk 357 4 5/8". Just feels right in the hand, love that click click click when you cock it (not upgraded w/ transfer bar) and after putting a taylor throat in it to get rid of the barrel constriction, it's fairly accurate. From 105 gr plinkers to 200 gr thumbers, it's pretty versatile as well. Only gun I've sold and bought back.
fun for others, Ruger MKII target model

fun for me

Kimber pro carry (great trigger on this one)

Colt 70's series (man's version of the little black dress, never goes outa style)

Glock 22 & 23's

and a Smith 629 with 4 inch barrel that has one of the swweetest triggers I've ever had the pleasure to squeeze.
Posted By: Armen Re: What's your "fun" Handgun? - 08/03/10
Nice revolvers, Larry.

I'm really liking those two S&Ws. Heirlooms with some user history!
Originally Posted by Armen
Nice revolvers, Larry.

I'm really liking those two S&Ws. Heirlooms with some user history!

Thanks for your kind comment. As I reread my OP I see I mis-stated a bit on the 17. It's a no dash model that was shipped from the factory in 1959, but I didn't buy it until 1971 (nearly 40 years, not 50). I've shot it a bunch. It developed excessive endshake and I sent it back to S&W last year for some new parts and a tune-up. It's now as tight as I remember it "way back when".
I have not owned this one to long but, I realy like to shoot it, pre Woodsman![Linked Image]

H&R "22 Special" nuff said
Originally Posted by saddlering
I have not owned this one to long but, I realy like to shoot it, pre Woodsman![Linked Image]

sweet.... that period Heiser flap holster, just adds to the perfection of the package.....

My Heiser.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My uncle worked in Heiser's saddle making shop for many years before they sold out. He lost some fingers in a stamp machine misshap there...
Wilson CQB gets a lot of range time, & a DWM Luger is pretty fun too--especially for a 90 year old weapon.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I don't have any pics, but it's an old model ruger blackhawk 357 4 5/8". Just feels right in the hand, love that click click click when you cock it (not upgraded w/ transfer bar) and after putting a taylor throat in it to get rid of the barrel constriction, it's fairly accurate. From 105 gr plinkers to 200 gr thumbers, it's pretty versatile as well. Only gun I've sold and bought back.

Do NOT convert your 3 screw.
Leave it as Bill designed it
If your planning on dropping it on the hammer?
Carry it on an empty chamber
Great Heiser Holsters, I realy like em and if I can get them at a fair price, I got that one for 60.00 I think, I have 3-4 of them it took alot of saddle soap tho! Heres another one![Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Do NOT convert your 3 screw.
Leave it as Bill designed it
If your planning on dropping it on the hammer?
Carry it on an empty chamber

There is a reason it hasn't been converted wink I have no problem carrying it with 5, if you can't do it with 5, 6, or 10 or 15 ain't the right answer.
Had one 3 screw Single-Six that I sold to my Brother, bought it back, then sold it to him again. That time he sold it to a stranger!

Presently have 3, 3 screw Rugers that will NEVER be traded or sold.

I know how to load one, skip one and load 4.
Mine will NEVER be converted. No need...

Virgil B.
My funnest handgun to shoot is a 1906 Colt Bisley Model .44WCF with 4 3/4" barrel that I traded a Mexican "vigilante" (volunteer cop) out of back in 1960. It had been half-ass converted to an SAA, but I found the original parts (easier back then) and re-converted it to Bisley style w/original grips and grip frame, mainspring, etc. Looks good, but the numbers don't match, of course. Don't shoot it much any more, but it shoots .44-40 "Cowboy" loads very well; easy to keep 5 in he black at 25 yards with a two-hand hold.

In those days, you paid a little mordida to the Aduana Mexicana (customs) and just brought guns back with you--as long as they were legal in the US and you didn't abuse the privilege (like bring a truckload), the Border Patrol just said "It's only gunrunning if you're going SOUTH!"

Like all Mexican guns of this period, this one served in the 1910 Revolution....he said. I bought the gun, not the story.
© 24hourcampfire