Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money

Posted by: GunGeek

Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 01:30 PM

Over the years, Iím constantly amazed at how awesome the Ruger .22 auto is for the money. Recently I picked up a Mk III Standard model 4Ē fixed sights for my kids. I paid about $275 for it brand spanking new in the box, with two mags. Picked it up, and it will shoot on par, and sometimes out shoot, my $600+ S&W K-22; now thatís just awesome value. The trigger has some noticeable creep, but then breaks pretty clean at around 4.25lbs. Guys, this isnít even a target model pistol.

If I had opted for the 22/45 with 5.5Ē bull barrel and target sights, I would have had a pistol that could hold its own with anything and still under $300 for a blued model. And the greatest thing about the Ruger is the fact that they are not finiky about what you feed them at all. Reliability is awesome, and accuracy is great with even the crappiest ammo.

No wonder the Woodsman and High Standard went out of business. Neither really shoot better, neither are more reliable, yet both were more expensive. Now Iím not knocking the Woodsman or High Standard, both are great pistols and much better looking than the Ruger, but in the world of competing economics, itís no mystery why the Ruger won out in a very Darwinian process.
Posted by: Jim in Idaho

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 01:36 PM

If one could combine what you said about a Ruger Mk I, II or III with the single action trigger pull of a S&W revolver, I do believe one could conquer the known universe.
Posted by: antlers

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 02:00 PM

I like em' too.
Posted by: hunter1960

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 02:24 PM

I've got a 22/45 5.5 hvy brl. They are a blast to shoot.
Posted by: centershot

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 02:29 PM

I've owned a couple and they have all been impressive shooters - I just don't like the jump they have when that heavy slide hits the stop and loads another round. Makes them feel like a 38 or something bigger than they are. To thier credit they are dependable, accurate and fun to burn ammo with. I'm not going to be trading my 617 on one though.
Posted by: 458 Lott

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 02:35 PM

They deffinately are. I had a blued 4" 22/45 mk II and got my wife a ss 5 1/2" 22/45 mk II. I just didn't care for the balance of the 4" gun, but the 5 1/2" is perfection. As I recall I paid $205 for the blued gun, and $265 for the ss gun.

The only problem is my wife and kids can empty the mags way faster than I can refill them.
Posted by: FreeMe

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 03:29 PM

Kevin....uhyep. cool
Posted by: RockyRaab

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 03:38 PM

I've owned a few that all seemed to get traded off for something else, but they were great guns. One was a stainless 6" bull barrel that I fitted with a Weigand mount and a good 4X scope. It literally became boring hitting empty shotgun shells at 100 yards off a rest. To salvage some credibility from my boast, I will admit that they were 12-ga empties! A guy watched me doing that and refused to believe there wasn't some trickery involved.
Posted by: OldRooster

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 03:40 PM

I have a MkIII 5 1/2" stainless bull. It shoots extremely well, I have no issue with the trigger and so far it has never hiccupped. I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not a handgun afficianado and don't have the experience a lot of you do, but I think this is a good pistol for the money.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: centershot
I'm not going to be trading my 617 on one though.
Oh hell no, we're not talking crazy here wink
Posted by: RoninPhx

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 05:23 PM

yeah, but they only hold ten rounds now, and that is not enough of capacity.
just joking
Posted by: P_Weed

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 06:35 PM

I noticed you recently mentioned in another 'post' - Your purchasing a Ruger Mark III 22 LR, 4" barrel, Standard model for your kids and liking it.

GOOD ADVICE. I put off getting one for a long time, because there was always some other handgun more 'exciting' or more 'exotic' than a Ruger 22 auto.

I came across a "GUN TESTS" magazine some time ago, pitting the Ruger Mk III, Browning Benchmark, and a Beretta Neo's against each other.

"Gun Tests" purchased the most in-expensive basic Ruger Mk III Standard model, tapered 4" barrel, blued finish pistol - and they loved it for it's comfortable ergo-design, its perfect balance (in that configuration), accuracy, dependable function ... and Everything Else! - as it blew away some very fine competition, (In 'their' testing.)

I now regard my Ruger Mk III a LOT more than most of those other 'pistols' that I purchased over the Mk III ...

Especially when taking along a handgun, That Goes Where I Go.

Posted by: vbshootinrange

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 07:04 PM

I've owned a half dozen or more Ruger 22 autos over the years.

I now own my all-time favorite.
A 4" BB MK11. Wish it was stainless, but it's going NO WHERE! It's a KEEPER!

I can "hit" with this pistol better than any I've ever owned.

I've owned lots of 22 autos.
A Colt match Target, S&W 41 5.5" Sporter and High Standard Citation, and various others.

Virgil B.
Posted by: Bearcat74

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 07:10 PM

Ruger Standard and a Mark III 22/45 Hunter here, each are 4" barrels. Both are very accurate and reliable.
Posted by: tex_n_cal

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/15/10 07:18 PM

But it would be nice if they were easier to disassemble for cleaning.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 04:36 AM

Yeah, my oldest daughter bought the same Mk III standard for herself, and last weekend I had to walk her boyfriend through disassembly / reassembly over the phone; that was fun. It was even further complicated by me having the other phone in my ear and walking another friend through how his newly purchased drilling works (what looks like a safety, isn't a safety, how to make 3 barrels fire with two trigger; oh yeah, that front trigger is a set trigger, etc).

After he got it right, he did it again to make sure he had it. And before he got off the phone, he said he was sure he'd be calling me after they go shooting next week.

Take down is a cast iron b-otch, especially when the gun is brand spanking new. But once you learn it, it's not too bad and at the end fo the day, you have one of the finest pistols ever made, and you got it for a song. The Ruger .22 auto is God's gift to the handgunner.

You know, I always thought of JMB as the "firearms prophet" but I can tell at least once God handed down utter perfection to one other "prophet for a day".
Posted by: Dan_Chamberlain

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 04:49 AM

Some years hence when stationed in Texas, I had occasion to go "Sparrow Poofing" with a friend. We had our .22 Pistolas outfitted with red dot style sights and hit the brush along the Nueces River His...if I recall, was a finely tuned target gun with weights on the barrel and a trigger made of some gold looking material. Mine was a (now 30 year old) Ruger Bull Barrel.

Now, I'll make a statement here that might rankle some. A man who doesn't own a good quality .22 pistol - and Ruger certainly fits the bill - is a man who has no romance in his soul and is unable to recapture his youth! There is no finer shooting fun; no better pass-time (short of love).

Dan
Posted by: TNrifleman

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 06:59 AM

I've got to agree with Dan, a good .22 handgun is a "must have" for any self respecting man. While I love my K-22 and 617, as well as the Model 41, I find myself shooting an ordinary Ruger MKII 5.5" Bull Barrel more than any other .22 handgun. The thing just plain works. Shooting an accurate .22 is good for your soul.
Posted by: stray round

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 07:36 AM

A Ruger MKII a couple of boxes of ammo and some targets is one of the best stress reducers I know.
Posted by: MtnHtr

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 08:20 AM

What kind of aftermarket sights are you fellas running on your Ruger MKs? (I have a MK II 5.5" bull)

MtnHtr

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 08:42 AM

I've got the fully adjustable factory sights on mine. They work great.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 08:58 AM

Bought a LNIB used 5.5" stainless bull barrel Mk II. Everything looks straight but with the rear sight lowered as much as possible it still shot a tad high at 25 yards, maybe 1 to 1 1/2". Not a big deal and it's probably sighted in perfect for 75 yards, but it bugged me. Plus, I can't focus on sights anymore without glasses.

So I bought a Burris Fastfire II and love it. Would not recommend that sight for everybody and every situation but it's a near perfect plinking sight for older eyes. Light weight and will still (mostly) fit in a belt sport style holster.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 09:07 AM

+1 on the Fastfire. I love it.

Not quite the precision one might need for competition or long-range varminting, but great for all-around use.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 09:22 AM

Speaking of the takedown and re-assembly, you can completely avoid the hassle with a can of CorrosionX. It's an aerosol lube/cleaner/protectant originally formulated for marine and electronic use. But it is THE finest .22LR semi-auto juice I've ever found. Whatever is in it seems to repel typical .22 fouling. That grey ash seems to fall out of the action like dandruff. It just does not stick to the metal any more. Magic. A squirt every few thousand rounds is all it takes.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 10:22 AM

Wow, cool stuff Rock, I'm going to send your post to my daughter right now; thanks.
Posted by: duckster

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 10:36 AM

Have not shot any Rugers, but I have a Browning .22 Buckmark that I like quite well. Same attributes as the Ruger, from reading the above posts

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 11:21 AM

Yeah, the Buckmark is a pretty darned good pistol also. The early ones were a touch finiky on ammo, but the last couple I shot were very reliable and very accurate.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: tex_n_cal

I had a link saved on the old computer (and think I've lost it)for a $50 takedown kit for the Rugers that is supposed to greatly simplify takedown and reassembly. If I can dredge it up I'll post it. Some of you may have seen and/or tried it. I just know it looked appealing. In the meantime I'm making a note of the spray lube/cleaner mentioned above.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: antlers
I've got the fully adjustable factory sights on mine. They work great.

I don't care for the front site blade, it will hook a holster when withdrawing. I filed the hook portion off........

On the accuracy part I watched a pard knock a ground squirrel off around 40yds away with his MKII, I then bought one after that!

MtnHtr
Posted by: tbear99

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 01:09 PM

i love the mk II been thinking of a 22/45 since i let one of my mkII go to a friend
Posted by: Triggernosis

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 01:23 PM

I initially didn't like the looks of the Mark III, but everyone I've ever borrowed and shot was too darned accurate to ignore. They just shoot well. Kinda like an ugly girl that's just so darned sweet.....

BTW, what are you guys toting yours around the woods in?

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 01:34 PM

Here's a LINK to some CorrosionX reviews. Note especially Chris Christian's comments about his Ruger Mk II and CorrosionX.

BTW, while it comes in the 4-oz size, do yourself a favor and get the 16-oz aerosol. Midway and Brownells carry it.
Posted by: warpig602

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 03:23 PM

I should have my Pac lite upper for my MK I here any day. I'll post pics when I get it.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 04:17 PM

Did one of the Special Forces or CIA use the Ruger MkI or II with a twist on silencer?

I carry mine in the field sometimes, its great for follow up on wounded yotes or bobcats.

MtnHtr

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 04:26 PM

Rocky - Thanks for the link.
Posted by: 458 Lott

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 05:18 PM

They are easy to disasemble for cleaning, it's the re-assembly that can be tricky.

They are reliable enough that you really don't have to tear them down that often, which means you forget the exact angle of the dangle to get everything lined up.
Posted by: MOGC

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 06:24 PM

Save your sanity - take the grips off and dunk them in a can of kerosene, swish them around some, flush the gun out, dry, lightly relube and shoot until it pukes. Easy enough... smile

BTW, I really liked the MK I/II guns... the MK III not so much.
Posted by: MallardAddict

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/16/10 10:37 PM

I have a pair of 4" bull barreled MkII's and disassembly/reassembly is a beeotch.....

OldRooster hit the nail on the head. The best $50 you will ever spend is on the Majestic Arms speed strip kit. YA just take the gun down and replace the bolt stop pin from the factory assembly with the replacement 2 piece pin with threaded insert. If you can run a small hammer and punch you can do this in 20 minutes tops and thats if your drinking beer while doing it.

Thus removing the bolt is now as simple as removing the threaded insert from the top of the gun and the bolt slides right out without messing with the take down lever ever again.

Both of my MkII's have it and its the cats meow for sure. They now have a $62 kit that reduces triger pull as well and one of mine has this option, it works as advertised.

Thank me later you'll love it: http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 06:48 AM

Mallard - That's it. I have a friend who has had the kit installed and is 100% happy with it. Thanks for the good word on it. I've saved the link....again.
Posted by: ColdCase1984

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 09:04 AM

Have had my MK I 5.5 Bull Barrel for 32 years; purchased through the Rod & Gun Club at Beale AFB. I've estimated wildly before but conservatively I've shot a metric schitt ton of ammo down it's barrel.

Have fully disassembled it maybe four times, when it gets so grimy it won't function. Have trained many new shooters with that ol' pistola.

Thinking about putting a short TacSol barrel on it to make an ersatz Kit Gun out of it.

Come to think of it a 22/45 with a TacSol would be a REAL featherweight for field carry.

If Ruger could come up with a MK III regular or 22/45 frame that would accept extended 10/22 mags, they would have to add workers to meet demand.
Posted by: 65BR

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 09:26 AM

Had/sold a M34, 17-4 or whatever they mfg. in 85-88 era, HB, TS, TH, etc. in 4", 617 6shot 4", micro-buckmark, M41, Colt Cadet 4.5, and more.

Now, I still have my first MKII, 5.5Blue, 1981 first year mfg., and added a few more. Will NOT own a MKIII. Have ZERO use for the changes esp. the loaded chamber indicator. They had a great K.I.S.S. design and lawyers as typical goofed it up.

That said - Kevin, years back took a SS 4 1/4 MKII std. model out of the box, first few hundred rounds it was sticky, but lube and many clips it broke in, needed to file front sight down a tad and may have drift punched the rear. It was DEAD on. After that, I found it shot well enough to warrant a 'Get R Done' trigger job by self. Stoned parts, ended up w/a CRISP 2lb or so pull. This gun outshot my Heavy bbl models, by virtue of sweet trigger. Shot turtle heads by the dozens, gar, snakes, birds.

I'd hate to have put it in a vise/ransom rest. Really was amazing.

Somehow a cousin of my then wife had to have it, so it was sold, yet it was stolen from his car. I'd love to have it back.

No doubt, read an article long ago, had that very model in a gun test. To clean, sprayed guts w/carb cleaner, blew out, lubed, good to go.

Otherwise, for those who don't want to read the manual or have one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-S16YuZMY&feature=related

Many vids on youtube how to DIY. Not hard at all.
Posted by: Eremicus

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 09:48 AM

The very first gun I ever bought was a Ruger Standard Auto. I paid $37.50 for it. One of these days, I'm going to bump into one with a reworked, first class trigger then I'll have to have another.
Couldn't agree more Kevin. Best deal out there. E

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Eremicus
The very first gun I ever bought was a Ruger Standard Auto. I paid $37.50 for it. One of these days, I'm going to bump into one with a reworked, first class trigger then I'll have to have another.
Couldn't agree more Kevin. Best deal out there. E

The first Ruger auto I ever had was a 6 7/8Ē heavy barreled target model that had been given the treatment by ClarkÖbut I didnít realize that it was a Clark gun until I sold it and someone who knew his stuff pointed out how stupid I wasÖI just thought all Ruger Autoís had triggers that sweet.
Posted by: Mikem2

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 01:32 PM

Ruger MK's are fun pistols. The Tactical Solutions barrel change is a real plus (add a FastfireII or a pistol scope - both are fun/accurate). The Hunter 5 1/2 stainless fluted barrel is a great looking and high accuracy pistol.

A like the Buckmark pistols too. A lot of options out of the box with great accuracy using bulk ammo. And a lot easier to re-assemble than a Ruger!

Great choice, have fun!

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 02:04 PM

I hope to add an integrally suppressed upper someday to mine...those are just too fun.
Posted by: idahoguy101

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 02:18 PM

I own a SIG P200 in 22LR. Cost me $425 plus tax. But for another $400 SIG will send me a factory 45ACP conversion kit. No tax.

So you can have it in both calibers for about $850. Which is what a SIG P220 in 45ACP will cost you.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/17/10 06:59 PM

Kevin, my SS/slab side Comp 6 7/8 w/2x EER Leo put a clip of 10 Mini-Mags into a quarter around 60 yds. Last I got serious, shot about 3/8" at 25, it's a hammer!

Below, one of two mink that I took, let the other go - taxidermist said they normally get about the size of a large fox squirrel, this one was 1.5-2x that size so he mounted it standing up holding a crawfish. 5.5 MkII open sights.

Another pic of a Yote I shot on a full run:
1st shot low
2nd high
3rd base of skull/neck juncture = DRT using a solid 40gr. OH, FLIPPED about 70 yds.

The fox squirrel was w/10" TC bull, killed 5 one afternoon, mostly headshot using a Burris 5x EER.

FUN days back in college.....

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 04:17 AM

Lemme try this again: What kinds of holsters are you guys using for your Rugers when afield?
Posted by: huntsman22

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 05:17 AM

cheap Hunter brand, back when I used Rugers....

Posted by: Bricktop

Hard my ass.... - 12/18/10 06:09 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people resign themselves to defeat at the hands of an inanimate object. Just what in the hell is so damned DIFFICULT about disassembling a friggin' Ruger?

DISASSEMBLY
  • Remove the magazine.
  • Clear the chamber.
  • Point in a safe direction and pull the trigger to drop the hammer.
  • Unfold the mainspring assembly from the rear of the grip frame.
  • Pull the unfolded mainspring assembly down and free from the pistol receiver.
  • Withdraw the bolt assembly from the receiver.

REASSEMBLY
  • Reinsert bolt assembly into rear of receiver.
  • Point pistol down and pull the trigger so that the hammer falls. (Shake pistol or ease hammer forward with a ballpoint pen if necessary.)
  • Release trigger.
  • Reinsert shaft of mainspring assembly into locating hole in rear of receiver.
  • Note that mainspring assembly has a recess in its forward face.
  • Note hammer strut on rear of hammer. (That's that dangly thing on the rear of the hammer.)
  • Make sure that hammer strut is free to move.
  • Ensure hammer strut seats into mainspring assembly while folding mainspring assembly back into grip frame. This is easiest if pointing muzzle upward. (You should feel a slight amount of resistance while folding mainspring assembly into place. This is the spring compressing.)
  • Function test by drawing bolt to rear and dry firing.
  • If unable to draw bolt to rear, you have reassembled mainspring assembly into pistol without seating hammer strut into previously mentioned recess. Unfold mainspring assembly and correctly seat hammer strut.
THAT'S IT. Don't give me any of that horseshit about that being hard or beyond anyone's basic mechanical abilities.

Here's a guy who does it while wearing gloves and includes the additional step of removing the receiver from the grip frame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17VAW8RBpE

Yeah, real friggin' hard.

Not true... - 12/18/10 06:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Mikem2
And a lot easier to re-assemble than a Ruger!
That's bullshit.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 06:11 AM

Originally Posted By: OldRooster
I had a link saved on the old computer (and think I've lost it)for a $50 takedown kit for the Rugers that is supposed to greatly simplify takedown and reassembly. If I can dredge it up I'll post it. Some of you may have seen and/or tried it. I just know it looked appealing.
Waste of money.
Posted by: EthanEdwards

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 06:22 AM

Cool pics 65. Thanks for sharin'.
Posted by: jwp475

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 09:22 AM

Quote:
Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money

For my money, without a doubt
Posted by: dla

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 09:47 AM

My all-time favorite 22lr pistol is the S&W622. 6" barrel, stainless and alloy. Simple to strip. I don't know why folks want to carry a 30+oz. 22lr - I don't.

I've shot different Rugers - nothing exciting about them. But this is America so everyone can promote their own 22lr pistol.

Ruger did a brilliant job of marketing their 22lr pistols and 10/22 rifle. You pour money into a 10/22 to make it the way you want it and then you discover some kid with a Marlin 60 can out shoot you.
Posted by: Nebraska

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 09:49 AM

I love a bare-bones Mark II SS 5 1/2" bull. They're a no-nonsense shootin' machine and definitely the best bang for the $$!

Having said that, some mods that I've made and would recommend are (lowest to highest $$):

Hogue Grips

Volquartsen trigger kit = Wow!!

TacSol 4 1/2" threaded/matte Pac-Lite barrel (w/ Weaver rails on top and bottom if you want to add a light/red-dot)

SWR Spectre suppressor = Va-va-v-o-o-o-m!!!

Even if someone doesn't want to go the suppressor route, I'd definitely encourage them to add that Volquartsen trigger kit. It makes a huge difference IME!!
Posted by: boatboy

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Bearcat74
Ruger Standard and a Mark III 22/45 Hunter here, each are 4" barrels. Both are very accurate and reliable.

Its not the disasemble its the Reasemble thats the problem

I agree they are dependable and built like a tank they digest ANYTHING.
I have a a 5.5in MKII I always wanted to put a scope one it. I saw the same gun at Jays Clare MI with a 2 power Leupold bought it figured I would sell the other.That was 15 years ago I still have them but I plan to die with them (hopefully quite a while from now).
Hank

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:08 AM

Let's not forget that this right here is how the Ruger empire got its start. (well, the first version of it wink )

Not a bad legacy for a little $37.50 pistol.
Posted by: avagadro

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Triggernosis
Lemme try this again: What kinds of holsters are you guys using for your Rugers when afield?

I own a SS 5.5" bull MkII

I use el'cheapo Uncle Mikes designed for 5" (or 5.5") autos. I used it originally for my Taurus 92 and now for my Ruger.

Good Luck
Posted by: avagadro

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim in Idaho
Let's not forget that this right here is how the Ruger empire got its start. (well, the first version of it wink )

But after shooting the bull barreled variants, I cannot bring myself to drop dime on the skinny barreled originals.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:38 AM

Thanks to Bricktops post I went to Utube for the assembly vid and found the Ultimate cliploader.

Has anyone used one of those? It looks almost too easy.
I still suffer with the 10/22 loaders it makes me sceptical. But it looks like individules are showing vids and are very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jHazxWXCA

Love his gunsmithing bench

Hank

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: dla
My all-time favorite 22lr pistol is the S&W622. 6" barrel, stainless and alloy. Simple to strip. I don't know why folks want to carry a 30+oz. 22lr - I don't.

I've shot different Rugers - nothing exciting about them. But this is America so everyone can promote their own 22lr pistol.

Ruger did a brilliant job of marketing their 22lr pistols and 10/22 rifle. You pour money into a 10/22 to make it the way you want it and then you discover some kid with a Marlin 60 can out shoot you.
You must be a piss-poor shot if "some kid with a Marlin 60 can out shoot you."

The bullshit people post. tired

There's a reason the Ruger .22 Auto has been the dominant autoloading rimfire pistol for the past 60+ years -- IT'S THAT FRIGGIN' GOOD.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 11:16 AM

Like him or not no question whats on his mind!!HAHA

I agree with they lead the market I was told to buy a 10/22 as my first 22(25 years ago) of course I bought a nylon 66 which is OK but no match for a 10/22
Its pretty much the same with the pistols lots of other good ones but how many can boast what the Ruger can?

Did some snooping Rimfire central some people very happy with the Ultimate Cliploaders

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: boatboy
Like him or not no question whats on his mind!!HAHA
Every time there's a thread regarding Ruger .22 Autos on any forum -- and I mean EVERY TIME -- the crybabies come out of the woodwork.

"It's too hard to put together. WAAAAAAA!"

"It's too heavy. SNIFF, SNIFF!"

"I like my Browning."

"I like my Colt."

"I like my S&W."

"I like my High Standard."

If there was a problem in the construction of this pistol, don't you think at this point in Ruger's going on 62-year history that they'd have changed it to sell more guns? And maybe, just MAYBE, the problem lies with people just having their heads up their asses?

Jesus H. Christ, if you're just too God-damned dumb to understand the subject, please -- PLEASE -- don't feel the need to be a part of a discussion in a non-constructive, candy-ass, whiny sort of way. (Not directed at you, boatboy. This is for the inevitable bitching that is sure to follow this post.)
Posted by: Nebraska

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 11:36 AM

I think somebody needs to get laid or at least get out to the range.....and BOTH if possible. wink
Posted by: croldfort

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 12:06 PM

My first handgun was was the Ruger MKI $37.50 4" standard. I foolishly traded it for a Hi-Standard Double Nine. Then foolishly traded the Double Nine.

I since have found another MKI standard mod in 4" with the original box. I have a MKII 512 Target Model that I bought new in the 70's. It is my most accurate handgun. I have a newer MKIII 22/45 with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. At $215, it was the best bang for the .22 buck out there, when purchased.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Nebraska
I think somebody needs to get laid or at least get out to the range.....and BOTH if possible. wink
Am I right though? Every friggin' time one of these threads appears it always invites an endless stream of bloviated pissing and moaning. EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME. What in HOLY hell do these whiners hope to contribute? Did anyone ask for an ass load of hand-wringing and bitching about how they're too damned DUMB to follow directions or seek their own solution? I know I sure as hell didn't. And I sure as hell wouldn't PUBLICLY state that I was defeated by an inanimate object. Just how God-damned dumb is THAT?

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 12:39 PM

It depends. I like the El Paso Saddlery #77 for my 5-1/2" Mark II and the 1902 for my Government Target Model. My dad is partial to the 1942 Tanker for his 22/45.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-72-11-77-tortilla-holster.aspx
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-106-14-1902-holster.aspx
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-96-14-1942-tanker-holster-5-12-to-8-38-barrels.aspx

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BrickTop

There's a reason the Ruger .22 Auto has been the dominant autoloading rimfire pistol for the past 60+ years -- IT'S THAT FRIGGIN' GOOD.

The Marlin 60 is way more accurate out of the box than a 10/22. The fact that you don't know that is telling...

I wonder how many match pistols are based on the Ruger design?

As I said, Ruger has done a brilliant job of marketing. The after-market goodies give folks lots of stuff to play with. But don't confuse Ruger's marketing with product superiority.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 04:52 PM

Thanks, Bricktop.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 04:58 PM

The Marlin 60 is way more accurate out of the box than a 10/22. The fact that you don't know that is telling...

As I said, Ruger has done a brilliant job of marketing. The after-market goodies give folks lots of stuff to play with. But don't confuse Ruger's marketing with product superiority.
The fact that you would believe and repeat a bullshit fairy tale is more telling about your lack of intelligence in general. I'm sure you think your trusty Hi Point is a kick-ass sidearm as well, tucked in between the seats of your '78 Gremlin (or are you a Pacer kind of guy?).

I wonder if you've ever had the temerity to view the results of the IHMSA rimfire championships on any given year. Or if you could even read and digest that data. Take a gander at the number of Rugers in competition. Get someone to explain to you what those checks in the "win" column mean.

I don't recall seeing any aftermarket crap to any extent for the Rugers until about the last 20 years or so. Which allows me to date you based on your horseshit argument of "after-market goodies give folks lots of stuff to play with" as being a piss-ant juvenile of about 17 or 18. Maybe.

Get back to "Yo Gabba Gabba!" because it's definitely more your speed.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/18/10 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim in Idaho

That's exactly the pistol I got for both of my daughters. It's not real heavy, and it's not too light; kinda just right. I love that they're just plain trouble free and good night they shoot lights out. Like I said, that cheap little Standard model will outshoot my K-22 that's more than twice the price. (still, the K-22 is twice as fun for me)
Posted by: Redneck

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: KevinGibson
Over the years, Iím constantly amazed at how awesome the Ruger .22 auto is for the money. Recently I picked up a Mk III Standard model 4Ē fixed sights for my kids. I paid about $275 for it brand spanking new in the box, with two mags. Picked it up, and it will shoot on par, and sometimes out shoot, my $600+ S&W K-22; now thatís just awesome value. The trigger has some noticeable creep, but then breaks pretty clean at around 4.25lbs. Guys, this isnít even a target model pistol.

If I had opted for the 22/45 with 5.5Ē bull barrel and target sights, I would have had a pistol that could hold its own with anything and still under $300 for a blued model. And the greatest thing about the Ruger is the fact that they are not finiky about what you feed them at all. Reliability is awesome, and accuracy is great with even the crappiest ammo.

No wonder the Woodsman and High Standard went out of business. Neither really shoot better, neither are more reliable, yet both were more expensive. Now Iím not knocking the Woodsman or High Standard, both are great pistols and much better looking than the Ruger, but in the world of competing economics, itís no mystery why the Ruger won out in a very Darwinian process.
I've got a MK-II Target with the slab-side barrel.. It's scary accurate and as dependable as anything semi-auto can be..

It's a squirrel killin' machine... laugh laugh

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 07:44 AM

I have used ALOT of 'el cheapo' uncle mikes myself, and was fortunate to be give a custom leather for a 5.5 bull by a former industry 'mfg. rep' long ago, brand 'STRONG' w/numbers 988 then 88 underneath that, all under the 'logo.'

Open so it will not hold water, yet won't protect your muzzle either....Leather works great but note blued steel can 'wear' over time - in and out a tight one.

Bricktop,

1) I would enjoy your post more w/o some of the words you use, not necessary sir.

2) I ran a 10/22 ALOT growing up, and wanted something better, put a Butler creek on it, trigger, stock, great optics. Guess what, off bags shot great, OFFHAND, my 541T that I sold my brother would shoot circles around it on 22 steel targets. Why? LOCKTIME.

3) Took that bbl off, sent it to CPC - Connecticut Precision Chambering IIRC, cut me a zero leade chamber, engaging the bullet into lands, and had it re-fitted for my 77/22. MUCH better locktime, shot 1/4" groups of 5 rounds of WW Power Point at 50 yds......for ME, it was a Better Way...Still Ruger wink That is a solid bull at 17" now, and I did a trigger job that's light/crisp.

Forego firepower for plinking, but I must say my 13 yr old can run some ammo, shucks that bolt like Lee Harvey Oswald...

Bricktop, I do agree, taking apart and putting back together a Ruger is SIMPLE, IF you just follow the directions. I have yet to buy any 'kit' for my Mark IIs and don't plan to.

I WOULD like to play w/a set up like the Pac-Lite above, maybe not have the silencer due to paperwork/fees, but....

I must say I witnessed someone using a 6" std. SS MkII w/can, about all you heard was the action cycling, it was THAT quiet.

Yes, the bull steadies a good bit better, on 2 of mine, I added Volquartsen Rear which resembles the now defunct BoMar co. that was in Tx. Works GREAT.

IF one goes w/a standard 4.25", rest assured, it WILL shoot, if you can. A trigger job helps a Great deal since it's a muzzle light pistol, but the accuracy is within IME.

No longer mfg but in the late 80s and/or early 90s Ruger made a 5 1/4 SEMI HEAVY Tapered Bbl w/Adj sights. A nice SS MkII. It may well have been the very gun that Ruger also did a Limited run in blue LONG ago - on Mark 1's, MANY years back.

I don't know why Ruger did not do more of the 5.5 slab models, a few in blue were done in MkIIs awhile back.

I REALLY would like a fluted bbl that the new models have, but refuse to buy or use a MK3. Sorry Ruger - blame your lawyers.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ColeYounger
Cool pics 65. Thanks for sharin'.

You are quite welcome, that 'yote' kill on a wide open run was one to remember wink

Lucky for me he was in a cut down cotton field where I could see my misses, and correct. 3 shots in likely give/take 3 seconds.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 08:59 AM

Had the stainless fixed sight 6" version as one of the many iterations that have come through my gun tradin' little hands. Wanted something that I would sight in and leave it.

Out of the box windage was spot on but it shot low - I imagine they do that on purpose so one can dial in (file in wink ) the sights.

Used Winchester Wildcat to sight in at 25 yards and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y filed a smidge from the front sight after each group until it was shooting right on top of the blade at that range.

What I remember vividly from that range session was that the 5 shot groups at 25 yards were all teeny little one hole clusters. The extra sight radius and 20 years younger eyes helped but obviously the pistol had to have that "inherent accuracy" to do such.

Geez, these reminiscings are hard on my wallet, got an overwhelming urge to go to the gun store and play with a little 4" version now... grin

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 65BR
Bricktop,

1) I would enjoy your post more w/o some of the words you use, not necessary sir.
Based on the typically mind-numbing, ignorant, HORSESHIT discussions these Ruger threads always seem to invite, harsh, blunt-force replies are definitely the order of the day. Whiners not needed.

Bricktop, I do agree, taking apart and putting back together a Ruger is SIMPLE, IF you just follow the directions. I have yet to buy any 'kit' for my Mark IIs and don't plan to.
I'd like to see the next person WHINING about the "difficulty" -- HA!!! -- of reassembling a Ruger .22 Auto put the effort that they put into pissing and moaning into following the directions. I guess bitching is easier.

I WOULD like to play w/a set up like the Pac-Lite above, maybe not have the silencer due to paperwork/fees, but....
Paperwork? Fees? You mean a $200 tax stamp and filling out a Form 4 is too much of a burden on you? Filling out a Form 4 is no more difficult than filling out a 4473 for a Title I weapon.

Upper gun is an integral built for me by Curtis Higgins of Owasso, Oklahoma. Baffle stack is removable for cleaning. Lower gun is an AAC Phoenix by Advanced Armament of Duluth, Georgia. Both have Clark triggers and Bowen rear sights. Report is just about movie quiet.

Filling out the Form 4 and paying the tax stamps was nor problem at all.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Bricktop

The fact that you would believe and repeat a bullshit fairy tale is more telling about your lack of intelligence in general. I'm sure you think your trusty Hi Point is a kick-ass sidearm as well, tucked in between the seats of your '78 Gremlin (or are you a Pacer kind of guy?).

I wonder if you've ever had the temerity to view the results of the IHMSA rimfire championships on any given year. Or if you could even read and digest that data. Take a gander at the number of Rugers in competition. Get someone to explain to you what those checks in the "win" column mean.

I don't recall seeing any aftermarket crap to any extent for the Rugers until about the last 20 years or so. Which allows me to date you based on your horseshit argument of "after-market goodies give folks lots of stuff to play with" as being a piss-ant juvenile of about 17 or 18. Maybe.

What a wonderful forum contributor you are! I'm sure everyone learns a lot from your well thought out and informative posts. Does your moniker describe the tissue between your auricles? smile
Have fun in your protected little forum world - I've got better things to do.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 09:57 AM

What a wonderful forum contributor you are! I'm sure everyone learns a lot from your well thought out and informative posts. Does your moniker describe the tissue between your auricles? smile
Have fun in your protected little forum world - I've got better things to do.
Yes, I'm sure you do have better things to do. Like getting your Star Trek outfit ready in your parents' basement.
Posted by: Tonk

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 10:05 AM

I think RUGER makes one of the very best today! I myself have one on order, makes for a real FUN GUN and very cheap to shoot.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 02:44 PM

Bricktop, I sense alot of pent up frustration in your ...TONE...and not sure why. I see value in some of your content, but the delivery could use a little polishing.

Nice Ruger's btw. Clark's right next door to my range, very familiar w/those folks and run a couple of triggers myself.

As to $$, well, that $200 is all Louisiana pays for unemployment after taxes FWIW........that explain it better for you? Go w/o a paycheck 6 months and get back with me sir.

Hope things perk up for you there. I would suggest that you may need to get your blood pressure checked, really, being that worked up is not healthy and leads to stress throughout your cardiovascular system, and that takes a toll.

Have a nice day.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 04:13 PM

As to $$, well, that $200 is all Louisiana pays for unemployment after taxes FWIW........that explain it better for you? Go w/o a paycheck 6 months and get back with me sir.
Then you should have beaucoup time to fill out a Form 4.

CLICK D LINK

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 05:46 PM

Time yes, but I'd rather worry about paying living expenses, my 'Fun FUND' will have to wait. Thanks for the link, I may decide to go for a can. Sure would save alot of people Tinnitus.

I was in the past, skeptical of the accuracy of the Pac-Lite's but feel I have read enough reports saying good things to spring for one. I handled a Volquartsen shorty at the 09 Shot Show and believe me, it was sweet, they know how to make a Ruger rock!
Posted by: FlaRick

Re: Hard my ass.... - 12/19/10 06:14 PM

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people resign themselves to defeat at the hands of an inanimate object. Just what in the hell is so damned DIFFICULT about disassembling a friggin' Ruger?

DISASSEMBLY
  • Remove the magazine.
  • Clear the chamber.

REASSEMBLY
  • Point pistol down and pull the trigger so that the hammer falls. (Shake pistol or ease hammer forward with a ballpoint pen if necessary.)
  • Release trigger.
  • Note hammer strut on rear of hammer. (That's that dangly thing on the rear of the hammer.)
  • Ensure hammer strut seats into mainspring assembly while folding mainspring assembly back into grip frame. This is easiest if pointing muzzle upward. (You should feel a slight amount of resistance while folding mainspring assembly into place. This is the spring compressing.)
  • If unable to draw bolt to rear, you have reassembled mainspring assembly into pistol without seating hammer strut into previously mentioned recess. Unfold mainspring assembly and correctly seat hammer strut.
THAT'S IT. Don't give me any of that horseshit about that being hard or beyond anyone's basic mechanical abilities.

Here's a guy who does it while wearing gloves and includes the additional step of removing the receiver from the grip frame:

I have 2 Mark III's - a 22/45 and a standard hunter. Following directions, I can disassemble and assemble the 22/45 with no problems and no tools. Doing the same with the standard hunter is a nightmare. It requires the very exact use of a mallet to line up the barrel with the frame. It is not easy and I am not the only one to experience this.

You can also expect the front sights to come loose after a few sessions at the range. It has happened to both of mine.

Re: Hard my ass.... - 12/19/10 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: FlaRick

DISASSEMBLY
  • Remove the magazine.
  • Clear the chamber.

REASSEMBLY
  • Release trigger.

I have 2 Mark III's - a 22/45 and a standard hunter. Following directions, I can disassemble and assemble the 22/45 with no problems and no tools. Doing the same with the standard hunter is a nightmare. It requires the very exact use of a mallet to line up the barrel with the frame. It is not easy and I am not the only one to experience this.

You can also expect the front sights to come loose after a few sessions at the range. It has happened to both of mine.
Really? You followed the directions? And you had trouble? And you're surprised you had to use a mallet because of -- oh yeah, the friggin' directions advise the use of one. It's only a "nightmare" because you choose to allow yourself to be defeated by an inanimate object. The steel .22 Autos have traditionally had a fairly tight receiver to grip frame fit, whereas the Zytel versions will damn near fall apart upon removal of the mainspring assembly. (Clark and others tighten this up on pistols they gunsmith.)

These pistols do NOT require the "very exact use of a mallet to line up the barrel with the frame." Jesus Christ, you act like the friggin' pistol is a custom, one-of-a-kind item built with 0.00010" tolerances. How damned hard is it to apply a firm strike to the rear of the receiver with a friggin' non-marring mallet or heavy dowel? Really, is that complicated for you? Reassembly is nothing more than pressing the receiver back onto the grip frame from the muzzle aft. Again, use a non-marring mallet or heavy dowel to gain mechanical advantage. Line up the mainspring locating holes in the receiver and grip frame. And try not to strike the sights. You might actually need those some day.

Maybe you have other problems. (HUA? AFU?) I can determine with a fairly close degree of certainty that you don't have a great deal of experience with Ruger pistols or handguns in general. Those are generally the hallmarks of these types of WHINES.

Using a mallet to separate the receiver from or reassemble it to the grip frame, yeah that's a real tragedy. I would expect you've just expended more energy pissing and moaning about this decidedly NON-ISSUE than it takes to reassemble it. Put some friggin' muscle into the mallet when you use it and quit crying.
Posted by: FlaRick

Re: Hard my ass.... - 12/19/10 06:55 PM

I said front sights you rude moron. Learn to read.
Posted by: 260Remguy

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 07:05 PM

I've never much cared for Ruger handguns that weren't SAs and prefer S&W 22 semi-autos. 41s and 46s for serious work and 422s, 622s, and 2206s for plinking. I was raised in a house where the only handguns were Colts, S&Ws, and a couple of Nambu war trophies, so I kinda got used to shooting Colts Aces and S&W 41s/46s. I'm sure that there is a place for Ruger handguns, I've just never found room at my place, but I have been thinking that a 4 5/8" stainless 44 Special flattop BH might be worth a look.

Jeff

Sniff, sniff, whine, whine, sob, sob... - 12/19/10 07:06 PM

I said front sights you rude moron. Learn to read.
I may be rude, but I sure as hell know how to disassemble and reassemble a friggin' $300 piece of machinery without being defeated. Anything otherwise would be "moronic." A lot like your rant.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: 260Remguy
I've never much cared for Ruger handguns that weren't SAs and prefer S&W 22 semi-autos. 41s and 46s for serious work and 422s, 622s, and 2206s for plinking. I was raised in a house where the only handguns were Colts, S&Ws, and a couple of Nambu war trophies, so I kinda got used to shooting Colts Aces and S&W 41s/46s. I'm sure that there is a place for Ruger handguns, I've just never found room at my place, but I have been thinking that a 4 5/8" stainless 44 Special flattop BH mind be worth a look.

Jeff
Moses wandered the desert for 40 years before he saw the light.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/19/10 10:52 PM

I seriously doubt that GOD is going to lead me to buy a Ruger handgun, except maybe a flattop 44 Special.

Jeff

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 03:20 AM

I seriously doubt that GOD is going to lead me to buy a Ruger handgun, except maybe a flattop 44 Special.

Jeff
Famous last words.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 05:20 AM

I've been shooting Ruger .22 auto's since I got my first one for Christmas when I was 16 years old...still have it. That was nearly 34 years ago. Since then, I've gotten several more over the years...Mk I's, II's, and III's. I have never had anything go wrong, or come loose, with any of them. They are hell for stout. They are the Zebco 33's/Remington 870's of .22 auto's. I love em'.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 07:57 AM

Jeff, the Rugers are not the 'fine swiss watch' pieces like Colts, High Standards, and Smith 41/46s, but they do a bang up job.

Had a M41, shot a tad better off bags than my Ruger 5.5, sights and trigger out the box are better, but the Ruger can be customized. That said, why I sold my Model 41? It had some reliability issues, ESPECIALLY when it was not cleaned often. 2nd - when plinking ALOT, clip after clip....I found the Ruger more user friendly, loading clip as well as grabbing the dog ears bolt handle. Lastly, having owned a MKII since age 15, it's hard getting used to the grip angle after 29 years of using a Ruger.

The M41 works, but for plinking, I find it a little awkward, largely probably due to my having fired between 50-100K or more of ammo thru Rugers.

For the money I think the Ruger Mark II and the Browning Buckmark are both nice options.

No doubt Colt, Smith, and High Standard have made some very high quality nice shooting 22s. If you have complete happiness now than you are fine w/o a Ruger. Yet, if you want a gun that will fire/feed/eject w/o needing to be cleaned as often, a Ruger is hard to beat IME.

That said, when I get back on my feet, I'd like to add a few fine examples of Colt, HS, and Smith's just for fun.

I think Kevin you said the Ruger std. model outshot your K-22.

No doubt, a good semi has ONE chamber to line up w/bore, all in one as you know, and there in lies a good part of WHY they often will outshoot a wheelgun. No denying the fun factor, dearly miss the 17 4" heavy bbl model I had, as on paper it was not as tight, yet it's trigger was like an icicle and I HIT in the field amazingly well, taking ALOT of game and pests with it.
Posted by: 721_tomahawk

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 02:24 PM

If anyone has a 10in, I am in the market.. SS or Blued..

Re: Hard my ass.... - 12/20/10 03:17 PM

...You can also expect the front sights to come loose after a few sessions at the range. It has happened to both of mine.

Current Ruger MKs have been showing up with lube on the front sight screw. It's not uncommon for them to shoot loose if not addressed. Simple fix is to remove the screw, clean with solvent, and apply blue lock-tite before reassembly. It will stay there as long as you want it too, once done.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Nebraska
I love a bare-bones Mark II SS 5 1/2" bull. They're a no-nonsense shootin' machine and definitely the best bang for the $$!

Having said that, some mods that I've made and would recommend are (lowest to highest $$):

Hogue Grips

Volquartsen trigger kit = Wow!!

TacSol 4 1/2" threaded/matte Pac-Lite barrel (w/ Weaver rails on top and bottom if you want to add a light/red-dot)

SWR Spectre suppressor = Va-va-v-o-o-o-m!!!

Even if someone doesn't want to go the suppressor route, I'd definitely encourage them to add that Volquartsen trigger kit. It makes a huge difference IME!!

Dang, Nebraska - you went whole-hog on that one!

+1 on the VQ trigger kit and the grips.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 03:24 PM

...Ruger did a brilliant job of marketing their 22lr pistols and 10/22 rifle. You pour money into a 10/22 to make it the way you want it and then you discover some kid with a Marlin 60 can out shoot you.

Only if the kid has real good trigger control and your 10/22 got buggered in it's hot-rodding.

I had both. My pumped-up 10/22 would dance on the model 60 - although I'll admit the Marlin has a very good barrel. It is fun to embarrass some guys with that Marlin 60, but the trigger really does suck.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 03:44 PM

What can I say, I like S&W handguns. That said, I was treated so badly by S&W when a 624 that I sent to Springfield to be engraved, and was subsequently lost during the return shipping by UPS, that I have not purchased a new S&W firearm since then. I have purchased used S&Ws, but still have hard feelings for the way that I was treated and will likely never send another firearm to them for work.

If I'm shooting semi-auto 22s, I'm happy to shoot paper with my S&W 41/46 target pistols and targets of opportunity with my 422/622/2206 field pistols. If I'm shooting 22 revolvers, I can shoot S&Ws, Rossis, or High Standards, with the stainless Rossi 515s in 22 MRF getting the majority of the carry time. My Ruger herd is limited to 25 rifles; 1 44 International, 2 10/22 Magnums, 2 #3s, 9 10/22s, and 11 77s.

Jeff
Posted by: Spotshooter

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/20/10 03:47 PM

knock it off before I end up buying one of these to see how it compares to my buckmark.

Buggers start talking about aftermarket triggers... man!
Posted by: Redneck

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 06:06 AM

What can I say, I like S&W handguns. That said, I was treated so badly by S&W when a 624 that I sent to Springfield to be engraved, and was subsequently lost during the return shipping by UPS, that I have not purchased a new S&W firearm since then. I have purchased used S&Ws, but still have hard feelings for the way that I was treated and will likely never send another firearm to them for work.

?? Why is it S&W's fault that UPS lost the package? Seems to me UPS needs to step up.. But then, with firearms, using UPS is akin to betting all red on a black-only roulette wheel..

(ok, flame suit on.. ) laugh
Posted by: Whip

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 07:39 AM

You guys want to really have some fun...put a Crimson Trace laser on your Ruger and have at it. I don't think I've missed a bunny or grouse since doing so 4 or 5 years ago. Of course, that could just be selective memory working too:)

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:05 PM

Because I specifically requested and paid extra for S&W to insure the package on the return. I specifically asked and was told that if I requested and paid for a specific value of insurance, S&W would purchase that amount of insurance for the return shipping. At that time, S&W's policy was to not routinely purchase insurance of items being returned, but to replace anything that was lost/stolen on its way from them to you out of current production. I specifically asked and paid for insurance because the S&W 624 revolver in question had been customized and turned by Ahlman's before being shipped to S&W in MA for engraving. Not only did I have to fight them to get a revolver, it ended up as a 5" 629 Classic that I've never used, but they weren't going to reimburse me for the engraving fees that I'd paid them. Some people have told me that I was lucky that they gave me a 629 Classic, much less than they reimbursed me for the engraving that they did and I had paid for, but I think that I got screwed, 'cause I got a revolver that I have never liked, never shot, and which is of no use to me. If I hadn't specifically asked and paid for the insurance, I wouldn't have a valid complaint, but since I did ask for and paid for insurance on the return shipping, I think that I have a valid complaint.

Why would anyone in their right mind ship anything with a value of around $1K without insurance? Does it make sense at all?

Jeff

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:13 PM

Jeff - that is too bad - esp for you, but not good for them either, but admit, as LONG as S&W has a lock on their gun, I REFUSE to buy/own one.

I know some claim it's not big deal, and it can be dealt with, but if ONLY for principal, I will pass.

IF they forego them, than I will perhaps try one - otherwise, older model or nothing for me and Smith.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:15 PM

At that time, S&W's policy was to not routinely purchase insurance of items being returned
I'm calling BULLSHIT on that.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: FreeMe
...Ruger did a brilliant job of marketing their 22lr pistols and 10/22 rifle. You pour money into a 10/22 to make it the way you want it and then you discover some kid with a Marlin 60 can out shoot you.

Only if the kid has real good trigger control and your 10/22 got buggered in it's hot-rodding.

I had both. My pumped-up 10/22 would dance on the model 60 - although I'll admit the Marlin has a very good barrel. It is fun to embarrass some guys with that Marlin 60, but the trigger really does suck.

True story guys, had a Marlin model 75 IIRC - shorter carbine - tube fed version of the 60, using open sights.

Had my son who then was around 9-10 and his 2 cousins out shooting around a cotton field. I bought it used and chopped the stock for my son to use.

A red winged black bird - legal pests here jumped up and flew up and about the top of his rise, I aimed and dropped him on the first shot. I knew I had some luck but had been plinking alot so it was a snap shot/and a good aim.

I immediately said as it was 'whirly bird' falling down, "Boys, you all remember that as you won't likely ever see it done again"....as if nobody else could do that stunt smile

It put a smile on my face, and the kids, I am not sure they realized how rare doing that might be, bird on the wing w/a 22. Not sure if I'd ever repeat that one, but sometimes luck I guess happens.

I later did some serious testing w/that Marlin - mushy trigger and all, and another CLIP fed short carbine model that I bought new. Both Marlins REALLY impressed me, and I think ALOT had to do w/good BBL quality - microgroove and all.

I did go out a time or two and killed a few squirrels and rabbits w/irons w/clip model, as well as for awhile w/a 2.5x, very good on running 'cat' squirrels as we call 'greys' here.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:31 PM

Jeff - that is too bad - esp for you, but not good for them either, but admit, as LONG as S&W has a lock on their gun, I REFUSE to buy/own one.

I know some claim it's not big deal, and it can be dealt with, but if ONLY for principal, I will pass.

IF they forego them, than I will perhaps try one - otherwise, older model or nothing for me and Smith.
The locks don't necessarily bother me as much as their ham-handed approach at integrating them into their designs. Sort of like Ruger did with that half-assed loaded chamber indicator on the Mark III iteration of the .22 Auto.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:48 PM

That is what they told me. They didn't insure it on the return because it was their policy to replace anything lost/stolen during shipping out of current production. I was told that they would only insure the revolver during the return shipping if I specifically asked for it, which I did, and if I paid extra for the insurance, which I did.

I sent a S&W 624, SN AHB2684, to S&W to be engraved. They charged me for the engraving, the return shipping, and the insurance, but failed to actually purchase the insurance. The package was scanned into a UPS facility in Chicago, but was never scanned out.

Why would I lie about something like this????

Jeff

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 05:57 PM

Why would I lie about something like this????

Jeff
How in the hell would I know? Though it seems plausible that a change in details can be manufactured to support just about any story.

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 07:14 PM

I don't care if you believe what I've posted or not, since I know the truth.

EDIT: In the end it didn't have much impact on me. I was able to buy another 6.5" 624, send it to Ahlman's to have the barrel trimmed to 5" and the usual Ahlman's smooth, tune, and ream. It is, today, easily my most frequently used N-Frame Smith. The 629 Classic sits in the vault, new and unfired, just a reminder anytime that I might be moved to buy a new S&W anything. I have a spare 6.5" 624 barrel and have thought about having Ahlman's trim it to 5" and install it on the 629 action in sort of a Mountain Gun format, but I don't really need it with all the other options available to carry.

Jeff

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 07:47 PM

In the end it didn't have much impact on me.
Apparently it did, because you chose to bitch about it, did you not?
Posted by: huntsman22

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 08:01 PM

must be bothering the piss outta you, too. Not being able to keep yer nose from it with all the smartazz replies, and all.....

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/21/10 09:21 PM

I guess that I should have said that the loss of that 624 didn't have a major impact on me, either financially or practically. I still had better than a dozen handguns to shoot and could afford to replace the 624 that UPS lost and S&W failed to insure. I'd say that to some degree, S&W lost a lot more $$ than the cost of the insurance that they failed to purchase, as I had been buying new S&Ws on a regular basis for several years prior and have bought no new S&Ws since then.

I tell this story from time to time as a reminder to folks not to assume that when you ship a firearm to a 'smith or a manufacturer for service that they will automatically insure the firearm on the return. I never ship anything of value without insuring it and still, to this day, can't understand why S&W had that policy. I sincerely hope that nobody, even a guy who questions my honesty, has to go through the crap that I had to with S&W to get some degree of compensation.

Jeff

Re: Ruger .22 Auto - Best pistol for the money - 12/22/10 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: huntsman22
must be bothering the piss outta you, too. Not being able to keep yer nose from it with all the smartazz replies, and all.....
Adding color commentary rarely bothers me, though it's obvious the same can't be said of you. And Jeffery has a tough hide as well.