Home
Got to fondle a Smith K-22 w/ a nickel finish just a bit ago. Didn't even know they were made like that. Somewhere between NRA Excellent and like new condition. What do you think it's worth ? E
All depends on its condition. I do not believe any K-22s came with a factory nickel finish. Look for a factory rework stamp and date on the grip frame under the grips. A factory refinish would allow it to retain value, whereas a non-factory nickel job, not so much.
THE K-22 COMBAT MASTERPIECE
-.22 LR cal., double action revolver built on the square butt K target frame with 5 screws, similar to K-22 masterpiece except with 4 inch pinned barrel, blue finish, (nickel scarce) combat style 1/8 in. Baughman Quick Draw on plain ramp base front sight, micrometer click adjustable rear sight, short action. Mfg. circa 1949-1957, continued there after as the Model 18.
Grading
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%
N/A $600 $500 $400 $300 $275 $250 $225 $200 $175 $150 $125
Add 100% for nickel guns that letter as factory.
I saw a Nickle K22 last year at the Sioux Falls Gun Show that was $1200. I didn't take the grips off to make sure it was original but I thought it was a fair price if it was.

ddj
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Got to fondle a Smith K-22 w/ a nickel finish just a bit ago. Didn't even know they were made like that. Somewhere between NRA Excellent and like new condition. What do you think it's worth ? E

Hello Eremicus
I would Approach that one with Extreme Caution. In 1975 S&W made 15 K-22 revolver's in High Polished nickel finish and these will be in the Model 17-3 series guns. Other than that, only special ordered ones are out there floating around that may not be the 17-3 series but I would need to see either some N-Prefix's stamped on them or a factory letter to prove they were not out of house refinished guns. I had this 17-2 finished in Nickel just because I wanted one and the bluing on this gun was bad... Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys. Gotta hunch that gun was done at the factory. I'll check with the owner. E
If the price is right and the nickle job is good, who cares? If it's factory and the price is right, grab it; that's a find.
Kevin, that isn't helping my "spring fever." I've already got several guns clamoring for attention in my head. One, by the way, happens to be a laser sighted Smith 1911 just like yours. Then there is a really nice 99 Savage in .250-3000. And either a Ruger BH in .45 Colt or another Smith, probably a 686 in .357 Magnum...... E
Eremicus: I have owned several 686's in the past and find them great shooting, well balanced and useful pistols.
They hold their value quite well also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire