Home
Posted By: Oakster Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Hey guys...I am selling a beater truck that I used to drive to work and back. The buyer wanted to trade me a near new Sigma 9mm with some ammo for $300 off on the price of the truck. What do you know about the Sigma and is it a decent gun? Seems I can buy them all day on Gunbroker for $269
Posted By: rifletom Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Pretty decent for the price. Check the trigger, the last couple Sigma's I looked at had what seemed long, gritty trigger pulls. Maybe they have fixed that. Other than that, they seem OK.
Posted By: keith Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Mine have long trigger pulls. I have the 40's, they never malfunction, then again I don't shoot IDPA with them either.
Posted By: JOG Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Originally Posted by Oakster
The buyer wanted to trade me a near new Sigma 9mm with some ammo for $300 off on the price of the truck.

Which truck price? Your too-high-but-willing-to-bargain-price, or your rock-bottom-price? $1,000-$300 is a lot better than $800-$300. wink

I see Cabela's has new Sigmas on sale for $299.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
I had a Sigma when they first came out, a .40. I never cared much for it. Trigger was okay for that kind of pistol, but not in the same league with my Glock 20. Never had any functional problems with it, just didn't care for it. YMMV
Posted By: Oakster Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Its the bottom dollar truck price. I listed at bottom dollar because I didnt think I would have any interest in it if I raised it.

Posted By: JOG Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Bottom dollar truck price vs. top dollar Sigma price wouldn't work for me.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
Thanks for the information guys! Internet reviews all complain of the terribly heavy trigger, approaching 9 pounds. Its fixable. Just need to settle on a fair value.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
For the price they are a hell of a gun. One little issue, they have had several versions of them, some have worked better than others. You want the model ending in VE. Some of the others haven't been all that good. Not the best trigger but they too, have gotten better. Never going to be a real target gun, but will certainly save your bacon. I like the 40 S&W better than the 9 but it is what it is. They are available new locally for $299. S&W has recently had some price reductions. If it doeesn't say SW9VE I'd pass on it.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/30/11
I kind of get the idea that S&W wanted to hurry up and get a plastic pistol on the market, left the beta testing for the consumer...
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/31/11
That was the gun they got sued over for copying Glock. Trigger isn't as good but now that the bugs are worked out, everybit as reliable, better, more ergonomic grip, and way less expensive. Problem is they did leave the beta testing for the consumer and it bit them in the arse. Was originally hoped to be the replacement for Glock to Police Depts.
Posted By: JOG Re: Smith and Wesson Sigma - 03/31/11
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
That was the gun they got sued over for copying Glock.

Despite of all the hoopla, S&W removed a shelf under the Sigma's sear that Glock had patented as part of its drop safety and that was it. Glock copied all of its major design elements from someone else there wasn't much to sue over.

I agree the original Sigma is a POS. I'm not a fan of the new ones either, but not due to reliability issues.

Cash price for truck: $1,000

Price with Sigma thrown in: $1,200

wink
© 24hourcampfire