Home
Posted By: War_Eagle .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Talk to me about the .327 magnum. I think I may have a GP100 in my near future and I am trying to figure out if I want it in the .327 or the .357.

I have seen a few posts about it here and there but not much that blew my skirt up.

Biggest use would be trail carry and plinking. Wouldn't do much (if any) hunting with it--that is reserved for the .44 Redhawk.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Basically a modern version of my favorite trail gun....the .32-20! This makes a fine "walking around" gun. It is mild enough to use on edible small game without destrying it, yet is powerful enough to use on larger (deer/hog) size animals with very careful shot placement.

With a good hard-cast bullet I don't rate the .32-20 (or .327) very far behind the .357 as both are marginal for larger game and require exact bullet placement.
Posted By: T LEE Re: .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Buddy has the 6" version of the GP100 in .327. A real tack driver and not quite as snappy as a .357 with very comparable ballistics. PLUS you can shoot .32 S&W short or long in it as well as .32 H&R mag. A very versatile revolver IMHO.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Wish somebody would make a Shotshell load for the 327...
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Along the same topic, how hard are components to find. I noticed midway doesn't have brass. Also, I just got back from Bass Pro and they had 0 factory ammo.

Is this par for the course for the cartridge?
Posted By: T LEE Re: .327 Mag? - 08/03/11
Yep, the ammo and brass is still scarce but the rest of the components are the same as the other .32 revolver cartridges.
Posted By: william_iorg Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
I had not problem buying the loaded ammunition from mMdsouth Shooters Supply from early on.
Midsouth was out of ammunition once.
The shortage is in components with the heavier bullets in short supply.
I bought a heavy for the caliber bullet mold from NEI, good mold, good bullets.
I have 4� GP100 (GP141) and it is a good shooter for called critters but heavy for a belt revolver.
What we need is a good K-frame S&W or Single Six Bisley for the 327. You can have them made but it would be nice to have an off the shelf handgun that is truly a belt gun with good sights.
I bought my brass from Freedom Arms. Fair price and good availability.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
Originally Posted by william_iorg
What we need is a good K-frame S&W or Single Six Bisley for the 327. You can have them made but it would be nice to have an off the shelf handgun that is truly a belt gun with good sights.

this was my thoughts from the beginning
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
I'd like a T/C Contender in .32 H&R Magnum (rifle length).

The .32 H&R Mag resembles to me what a rimmed .30 Carbine might look like. Actual caliber is .311-.313 inches. Not .323 or ".32." wink
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
I have worked these loads up, not from some stupid load book, but from scratch by trying many possibilities of bullets and powder in an antique 32 S&W long Colt revolver.

They should be excellent loads in a 327F, giving maximum performance without sticky cases:

6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady, 1.29", easy out
13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr HNDY, 1.29", easy out

Of course, in a 327F cylinder, the brass could be 327F brass and the bullets could be seated .16" longer at 1.45".

Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
I know a dealer who has a case of factory ammo, 50 round boxes for, I think $28. Not sure why a loading manual would be stupid for working up a load.

Dick
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .327 Mag? - 08/04/11
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I know a dealer who has a case of factory ammo, 50 round boxes for, I think $28. Not sure why a loading manual would be stupid for working up a load.

Dick

Hey Dick, let me straighten you out.

When the world's greatest chefs compete, they do not bring copies of Betty Crocker's cook book.

But for a 13 year old girl wanting to bake a cake, it is a good idea.... likewise for a 50 year old mildly retarded cook.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
ClarkM,

Why the belligerant attitude? Someone piss in your Wheaties? wink
Posted By: oldmodel Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
I have had a 32 H&R since they came out.
I really like that little cartridge for just the things your thinking about. trail carry,small game and plinking.

I bought a 327F in an SP101 when they became available.
It takes the 32H&R to another level. Longer range plinking.

I sent the SP to Bowen and had an action tune, and S&W J frame rear sights installed. Didn't exactly fill my needs so I sold it to my son and had Bowen build a custom 327 on a single six frame. This is my favorite gun at this time.

Where I have differed in other posts from most is that I feel the 327 is most suited to lighter framed revolvers vs full size revolvers such as the GP 100. If you're going to carry a full size you would probably be better served with the 357.

I like the light weight of the single six sized guns for everday knock around type use. the 327 adds much to its versatility.

Just my opinion and I do admit being partial to the 32 cal handguns.
Posted By: croldfort Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
FWIW, CDNN has the SS 3" Taurus .327 Fed with pink grips for $270. Grips can be replaced. Good luck.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Wish somebody would make a Shotshell load for the 327...
Better yet, .32 H&R, then you could use it in both. And if they were smart, they'd use #11 or #12 shot and it would be devastating.
Clark - Those "stupid" books very good places to start. The makers of those "stupid" books have available to them state of the art facilities and equipment to ensure the loads they come up with are perfectly safe.

It has been proven time and time again that by the time you "see" pressure signs in your reloads, you're WAAAY over SAAMI pressure limits. Stick to the books, or better yet, the very latest loads on the manufacturers web sites, and you'll be much safer.

There is nothing wrong with creating loads the old fashioned way by carefully working up to reasonable velocities (as referenced by referring to factory ammo and the "stupid" books).

I just can't understand why you call reloading books "stupid". To ignore the sound logic in a loading book sounds kinda stupid to me.
Posted By: T LEE Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
He is a wannabe Elmer Keith WITH a big mouth (keyboard) WITHOUT the brains! I have him on ignore and I sure hope NOBODY ever tries his "load data"!
That and I think he is probably a phuc-ing liar too boot.
Aw come on T LEE, don't candy coat it; tell us how you feel:)
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: .327 Mag? - 08/05/11
Originally Posted by T LEE
He is a wannabe Elmer Keith WITH a big mouth (keyboard) WITHOUT the brains! I have him on ignore and I sure hope NOBODY ever tries his "load data"!

That and I think he is probably a phuc-ing liar too boot.

I pretty much share the same opinions.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Aw come on T LEE, don't candy coat it; tell us how you feel:)

Well I got to be careful, Rick might ban me if I really let it loose!

I try hard not to run my mouth about others, but this guy and a couple of others were REALLY starting to push all the right buttons. On ignore to save my sanity & good BP numbers.

I HATE that kind of crap as I am afraid some nimrod might just believe it and blow themselves up.
Posted By: EWY Re: .327 Mag? - 08/06/11
Clarkm does seem to be one to ignore.
As to the 327 Federal I would like to see the SP101 with a 4" barrel and good fully adjustable sights.

Ernie
Posted By: 222Rem Re: .327 Mag? - 08/06/11

THIS thread proves the point in spades.
Posted By: 500grains Re: .327 Mag? - 08/06/11
Why is the average IQ so low in this thread?
Posted By: 222Rem Re: .327 Mag? - 08/06/11
Originally Posted by 500grains

Your post and Clark's...........
Posted By: T LEE Re: .327 Mag? - 08/07/11
Yep, that lowers the average substantially!
Posted By: generalstuart Re: .327 Mag? - 08/08/11
Hello
Currently S&W is not offering the Federal .327 Magnum Cartridge in any K-Frames. Evidently, The Powers within decided to go with a Smaller J-Frame Platform which to me is not a Target gun nor wood's hunting gun. The J-Frames just seem to have a heavy trigger pull due to their Coil Main springs compared to the Larger K-Frame medium size guns with the flat Main springs in them. The easiest way to get this round in a K-Frame Platform and still be cost effective is to take a S&W Model 16-4 and have Bowen lengthen the cylinder throats. He does this caliber conversion for a measly $90.00 Last I checked. I had mine converted from .32 H&R Magnum a Couple of years ago and have never looked back.

The Model 16-4s are built on the K-Frame Platform but they have the barrel under Lug added to them. The Under Lug provides a nice reducing muzzle flip feature when shooting the gun and Tames the recoil. I was Bored with the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge Taken it to it's Maximum velocity by hand loading for it, but it still was not close to what the New Federal .327 Magnum cartridge is or can be hand loaded to.

If you do not have a model 16-4 to work with the cost of them has risen sharply the past Six or seven years as they average a Grand now. I was lucky as I had mine for Eight years and bought it new in Box for $600.00. Most Guns run a Grand now anyway, so to Place down a Grand for a Vintage Model 16-4 would not be all that obtrusive. I would much Rather Pay a Grand for a Vintage model 16-4 than to buy one of the new classic models S&W Now offered with the M. I. M. actions and action lock, as the Model 16-4 still has the Firing pin located on the hammer being Non M. I. M. and does not have the lock.

I experimented with many hand loads and settled on one using Accurate Arms # 5 Powder along with a 90 Grain Sierra sports Master hollow point bullet and CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum primer. If loaded right this load will exceed the velocity of a .357 Magnum. The Load proved to make a one ragged hole at the 20 Yard line and I took down a Large Tennessee Bobcat with it about a Year and a half ago.

So, if you want the Federal .327 magnum cartridge in a K-Frame now you know how to get it. Shown below is my S&W Model 16-4 that Hamilton Bowen rechambered to fire the Federal .327 Magnum, and the Bob Cat it took down while Deer hunting a Couple of years ago. When he was done with it, he matched the cylinder throats and it actually Fired a Tighter group with the .32 H&R Magnum than it had in factory form. Now it will shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and Federal .327. That's what I call Versatile....TheGeneral

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: quarterboredave Re: .327 Mag? - 08/08/11
War Eagle,
I recently bought a 327 Ruger SP101, passed on the GP100 because it seemed to bulky and heavy. Found out that unprimed brass is non existant, factory ammo is pretty common in my area. Being a dyed in the wool re-loader I shot up a couple hundred rounds of factory for the brass. Just for grins chronoed the factory to see how they performed from the 3 inch barrel. Both the 100 gr Federal and the 115gr Speer clocked very close to advertised specs. Since then have worked up some good loads for the 100 Hornady and a 115 hard cast bullet plus a mild plinking load using a 90gr cast bullet. Also found that my gun will shoot the H&R mag. and 32 long pretty darn good contrary to the general thinking about short cartridges in long cylinders. Shure hope the brass shortage thing gets sorted out pretty soon.
Posted By: Tombstone Re: .327 Mag? - 08/11/11
I would go with the 357. Better selection between that and the numerous types of .38 special you can shoot through it. Easier to find ammo for and with the cost of ammo these days Im not going to pay the money for .32 caliber, rather have a bigger caliber for the money.
Posted By: Tombstone Re: .327 Mag? - 08/11/11
Thanks to you some of us may have milk on the brain. That always lowers ones IQ!
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: .327 Mag? - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Basically a modern version of my favorite trail gun....the .32-20! This makes a fine "walking around" gun. It is mild enough to use on edible small game without destrying it, yet is powerful enough to use on larger (deer/hog) size animals with very careful shot placement.

With a good hard-cast bullet I don't rate the .32-20 (or .327) very far behind the .357 as both are marginal for larger game and require exact bullet placement.

Got any 32-20 pet loads for a 6" pre war smith?

Wildilovemy32-20Alaska ��2002-2011
Posted By: generalstuart Re: .327 Mag? - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by Tombstone
I would go with the 357. Better selection between that and the numerous types of .38 special you can shoot through it. Easier to find ammo for and with the cost of ammo these days Im not going to pay the money for .32 caliber, rather have a bigger caliber for the money.

Hello
Federal .327 Is out there again and easily available. it Ranges from $25.00-$30.00 a Box depending on who is selling it. I don't consider $30.00 to be Big Bucks for 50 Rounds of Factory ammo, .357 is not much cheaper in Name brand form...TheGeneral
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: .327 Mag? - 09/17/11
bump
Posted By: P_Weed Re: .327 Mag? - 09/18/11
No more "bump" please.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can't believe I read the whole thing ...

It's like Deja Voo - all over again.
Posted By: william_iorg Re: .327 Mag? - 09/18/11
Midway, Midsouth and Graff�s now have 327 Federal brass in stock - along with Freedom Arms.
Things are improving and when the jacketed bullets become a bit more available - particularly the 115-grain Gold Dot - the 327 Federal should draw a few more converts.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: .327 Mag? - 09/18/11
I know Midsouth has the brass, I haven't checked Graf's yet but Midway still says "coming soon".
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .327 Mag? - 09/18/11
Originally Posted by Tombstone
Thanks to you some of us may have milk on the brain. That always lowers ones IQ!

?
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: .327 Mag? - 09/18/11
Who let the left-coast lying sack of crap, and dangerous 'tard to boot, back in?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .327 Mag? - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Who let the left-coast lying sack of crap, and dangerous 'tard to boot, back in?

?

© 24hourcampfire