Home
Posted By: clyde 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
I saw an ad in my local classifieds for an INA revolver in 32 SW long caliber. The pistol looks to be in very good shape. Does anyone have experience shooting and reloading for this caliber? Thanks!
Posted By: tbear99 Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
i've never reloaded for this caliber but have carried it for years i feel it is adequate for worst case situation.I use a colt police positive and an old top break hr.I use the this to kill all animals for slaughter on farm
Posted By: T LEE Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
In the .32 S&W Long I suggest you look for an older S&W. I have a Regulation Police of 1930 vintage that I love and the more recent model 34 and it predecessor the .22/.32 Kit Gun are just GREAT little guns and with more modern loadings are decent SD guns for folks that are recoil sensitive.
Reloading dies are available as are components.

The Colts are GREAT as well but command much higher prices and you have to shy from the .32 Colt chambering as the S&W will not work in them, you must make sure the Colt is chambered in the S&W caliber not their weaker and different loading (it is a heeled bullet much like a .22 rimfire and uses a smaller diameter case).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
The INA revolvers are well made and should be comparable in strength to a S&W I or J frame in .32 caliber. A revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long will also safely use .32 S&W or .32 Colt New Police Cartridges (if you can find them).

Some INA revolvers apparently did not have forcing cones cut into the breech end of their barrels, and might spit lead to some extent.

The .32 S&W Long is easy to reload and very thrifty on powder. It has a reputation as a very accurate caliber and was used quite a bit as a target cartridge in its heyday.

It can be safely loaded to a bit more power than the factory loads, but don't try to make a magnum out of it. An 85 to 115 grain bullet is appropriate. Jacketed bullets are unlikely to expand at the velocities possible with the .32. I have loaded for 2 different .32's, a S&W I-Frame Hand Ejector and a Ruger Single Six.

The factory load is a 98 grain bullet at about 700 fps. Handloading can increase that to about 900 fps without straining a good revolver. However, there is no pressing reason to go much hotter than factory load levels for plinking or small game hunting.

As a defensive weapon, even with safely increased handloads, the .32 is certainly better than nothing, and was an accepted police caliber prior to the 1960's, especially for detectives and plainclothesmen. However, it will not be as effective as a .380 or .38, no matter what you use in it.
Posted By: safariman Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
I know whrere there is an I frame Smith and Wesson revolver, 2 inch, in this caliber if any of you fellows want it. Pretty sure the owner ( a non shooting older lady) would sell it if a fair price were offered.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11

The INA is an unknown to me, but the .32 S & W, the .32 S & W Long and the .32 H & R Magnum are all familiar and pleasant to shoot. The .327 Magnum is probably in my future.

My "pocket pistol" top-break .32 S & W (.32 short?) is a poorly-made edition from the balloon-head black powder era. It was made here in the USA, but not proudly. It qualifies as an old wall-hanger. Other guns are much better quality nowadays and shoot with more authority. YMMV. I also found a 1904 edition of a nickled revolver .32 Long, which is more reliable and better made.

The M-31 S & W double action revolver is one of my treasures. Truly lovely, dating from the hay-days of Smith & Wesson production, with mirror blue finish, firing the Long cartridge. Sights are rudimentary, but adequate, and this revolver is simply graceful. Easy to shoot (and conceal), cheap to feed, lovely to look at.

The M-16 S & W double action .32 H & R Magnum was not very popular when it came out. Lots of shooters were hoping that Smith would bring back the smaller-framed target .32, but that didn't happen. It feels like it could have been a K frame at birth, with a hefty underlug and hand-filling grips, but that just makes it shoot better. With adjustable sights and a speed-loader, it is a serious pistola, getting a workout on rabbits. I generally use lead .32 Long cartridges in it, but it is a powerhouse with the .32 Magnum JHC loads. Reloading is a breeze.

The Ruger Single Six was made in .32 Magnum also and is fairly light and frisky at the Cowboy matches. I sometimes use the .32 Long loading, but mostly .32 H & R Magnum loads. I can use it for knock-down targets if loaded with 115-120 grain bullets really close to the 1000 fps limit for SASS, resulting in @ 255 ft/lbs of Kinetic Energy. That is the old standard for the 158 gr .38 Special load.

The .32 Short is underpowered, the .32 Long is under-rated and the .32 H & R Magnum is underused.

Handloading can change all that, so pick a gun and go to it. The lead loads range from @ 76/77 grains on up to 115-120 gr, which is generally listed as a 32-20 slug. I use faster powders, along the lines of WW-231 or AA#2 or Unique for the Long and Magnum shells. I have an old set of Redding dies for the .32 S & W. My RCBS dies are carbide and load both the .32 Long and the .32 Magnum. Jacketed bullets are also easily found, see Hornady XTP for several of my favorites.
INA
INDUSTRIA NACIONAL DE ARMAS
SAO PAULO BRAZIL
(the state owned ordnance factory that later became / developed into IMBEL - INDUSTRIA DO MATERIEL BELICO DE BRASIL, FABRICA ITAJUBA BRAZIL)

"... a small quantity of very well made and well finished .32 S&W LONG double action solid frame ordnance steel constructed revolvers manufactured in the 1960`s. issued to BRAZILIAN AIR FORCE OFFICERS and BRAZILIAN POLICE DETECTIVES these swing out cylinder 6-shot revolvers followed the S&W pattern. features: 2" BBL, cocobola checkered wood grips with inset brass "INA" meddalions, fixed combat sights, engraved "pouncing jaguar" on left of frame, case hardened trigger and hammer, high grade commercial blue finish. these guns are rarely encountered outside of BRAZIL."

also produced a commercial / for export model in the 70`s-early 80`s in several calibers mainly made for the AMERICAN market...

the early guns were of higher quality and finish and command $150-250...

the later commercial export guns were of average finish and quality, mass produced, and command $50-$100...
"Lots of shooters were hoping that Smith would bring back the smaller-framed target .32, but that didn't happen." Border Doc

Border Doc,

In the late 80'S S&W did come out with the J-Frame in 32 H&R Magnum, stainless, 4 inch barrel, 6 shot, adjustable sights. The Model number escapes me now...But it was the same gun as the S&W 63 only in .32 H&R...As I had one (Don't ask). Years ago I heard the price was through the roof!?

I also had the Model 16 in .32 H&R magnum, 6 inch BBl....very accurate, but hated that full barrel underlug as I used it for a woods-roaming pistol.

Taurus also came out with their K-Frame clone in .32 H&R, didn't have the full barrel underlug, so I bought one for a field pistol, was not anywhere near as accurate as the S&W 16, so it went.

Jerry
Posted By: stray round Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
The J-frame S&W in 32 mag was the 631. They made a 4" with adju sights and a 2" with fixed.

I have a 631 that I bought new and it is a dandy little gun. Mine is quite a bit more accurate than my 22 lr m63. With 2.4 gr of Red Dot or BE and a Hornady or Speer swaged lead wc in 32 long cases it thinks it is a target gun.

I really don't understand why the 32 mag wasn't/isn't more popular, they are a fun little gun and a great woods loafing cartridge.

Stray,

Would you measure the length of your cylinder and report back? I am wondering if the I frame cylinder is long enough to be punched out to 32H&R. The I frame that an aquantance wants to sell has some discoloration of the blueing on its sideplate so is not a collector piece. Might make a dandy ultra small ultra light pocket piece if so altered.
1.340 will get it done, looks like. (I just measured some ammo here)
The I frame won't take the extra pressure Mark, don't do it.
Posted By: Wildalaska Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
I love .32s

Wildihaveawebleyandameyeballina6inchsmithAlaska ��2002-2011
Originally Posted by T LEE

It will for a little while!!! smile smile

Where's Shrapnel! I want a second opinion from a real blowing up guns expert!
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by T LEE

It will for a little while!!! smile smile

Where's Shrapnel! I want a second opinion from a real blowing up guns expert!

You are a total dumbkoph if you even try it Mark, that will remove body parts if not kill ya.

I turned a guy down that even offered to buy me the reamers if I would do it. Well another 'smith in town (that is no longer in business) did it for him, he missed losing his left eye by less than a 16th of an inch, has a 1/4" wide jagged scar from the outer corner of his eye to his ear. It took off the whole top strap and top 3 chambers of the cylinder and the ends of two of his fingers as well as his whole thumb to the first knuckle.

This with factory ammo BTW, not hot reloads, just industry standard loads, his attorney had the remainders tested for the law suit he filed against the 'smith that did the work.

So if you feel that foolish...........
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
Seems like a Model 63 stainless kit gun, converted to .32 Long (not one of the magnums) would be a pretty neat, compact and mild revolver. The firing pin would need sorting out, however, come to think of it.

But now I'll play devil's advocate and ask what you'd gain over just loading down a .38 Special, which are common in the 3" Cheif's Specials with adj sights...
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/06/11
You'd gain nothing except one more round in the cylinder.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/07/11

JerryWW and StrayR--

The M-63 "Kit Gun" is a .22RF stainless with a small J or I frame, (nice field revolver), and I have one. My buddy has a Kit Gun 22/32, centerfire stainless, in .32 Magnum, which looks just like my 63.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. . .wouldn't be the first time. . . . ?
Wasn't the K-32 the HOLY GRAIL back in the late 70s? The darling of the bulls-eye crowd, carefully polished and blued and coveted because it was very accurate and pretty? .312 holes didn't score quite as well as .357 holes, but why quibble, Montgomery?

Then there was the Walther, shooting .32 Long Wad-cutters out of a semi-auto? WOW, just WOW. That said Olympics all over it.

The M-16 was all of that, but too hefty for some, especially if carried in a holster all day. The finger grooved grips turned away some would-be admirers and the concept seemed tainted, that a perfectly good target gun would show up with bulging muscles in an UnderArmor shirt.

Now they are sorta collectible. Not mine, however, cause the M-16 .32 H & R will shoot quite well and you can't pry it out of my safe. Many years ago, before the M-31 was sainted, some 'smiths did convert them to adjustable sighted rigs. See article in Gun Digest from @ 1981? There was an outfit in Deming NM called MMC (or something like that) who made electric checkering tools (they are beauties, too) and was also involved in sights and knew a guy by name of Skeeter. They probably all got sitting around a campfire and came up with some interesting projects.

As do we.

Good loads are easily found with either lead or jacketed bullets, depending on needs/wants. The Hodgdon manual and the Lyman 47th edition list the .32 "Short", Long and the Magnum. Accurate and Hornady get 2 of 3, deleting the Short. Sierra shows only the Magnum and my old Vihtavuori copy shows only the Long.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/07/11

And Terry is right on the money.

Don't try to hot-rod such a puny caliber. For all the trouble, you can buy a Taurus .38 +P and be done with it.

The .327 Federal is even worse, coming up with very high pressure in just a slightly longer cylinder. Tempting?

I know, the .327 Special!

Check your insurance.

Posted By: safariman Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/07/11
OK, OK! No 'I' frame 32 H&R's! smile

Was mostly funnin, would not want to go to the trouble with such a gun, as evidenced by my smiley face after my last post about the idea.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/07/11
If someone were looking for a flawless 16-4, 6", I might just have one for them.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/09/11
Smith still catalogs two 32 H&R Mag revolvers, the 431PD and 432PD, the former a hammered gun, the latter a Centennial pattern, both in Airweight. I have been carrying one for years as a backup and occasional off duty gun. I love the 32 Mag cartridge, and wish Smith would release a Centennial 1 7/8" gun in 327 Mag, with no ports, etc....
Posted By: generalstuart Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/13/11
Hi
The .32 S&W Long has always been a soft spot with Me ! That said I equipped my whole family with them. I used to carry a Pre-30 snub. I searched & Searched for one in Nickel to no avail so I bought a finish challenged Blued model and sent it to Ford's Refinishing in Florida and had them Hard Chrome plate it. That Gun rode in my Pocket for Five years before I gave it to Our Daughter as her Nightstand gun as her wedding Present. I Then replaced it with a N.I.B. Model 431 P.D. Chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I later was at a Local Gun auction and came across a Nice Blued Pre-30 Five screw model with a 3" Barrel and bought it for $135.00 as it is shown below. I Gave that One to my Son In law the very next day after buying it, so both of my Kid's have I-Frame .32 Long caliber S&W's now. Last weekend I was at a Local gun show and spotted a model 30-1. The dash one designates the design change to make the revolver frame a J-Frame. Nickel Model 30's are a Very hard find so I found myself coming home with it. I gave it to my wife so now she has a S&W revolver chambered in .32 Long to carry. And so it goes the whole family is armed with S&W revolvers now chambered in .32 S&W Long shown below... TheGeneral.

[Linked Image]

Pre-30 Hard Chrome Snub that I gave Our Daughter the day she got married

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 3" Blued Pre-30 Five screw revolver that I gave my son in Law

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 30-1 That I Just found last weekend and now my wife has it to carry

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/015e309c.jpg[/img]

The 431 P.D. Chambered in .32 H&R Magnum that I carry daily

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/431_with_magnas_2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/431_With_Magnas_1.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/13/11
What is the advantage of the .32 H&R Mag. over a .38 in a snubby?
Posted By: generalstuart Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/13/11
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
What is the advantage of the .32 H&R Mag. over a .38 in a snubby?

One More round as the .38 Snubs are Five shot where as the .32 H&R Magnum caliber revolvers are Six shots. The .32 H&R Magnum round has the same if not little more velocity than the standard .38 Special caliber and a lot less recoil. I am much more accurate with anything in .32 Caliber..TheGeneral.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/13/11
Thanks, general.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/16/11
It's a marvelous woods walker cartridge in very nice revolvers. I like the square butt J-frame. My loads are mostly Red Dot but I do find it necessary to weigh every charge - anybody have a powder measure that throws less than 2 grains of a fluffy powder to no worse then +/- .1 grain EVERYTIME?
Posted By: Raisuli Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/16/11
clyde,

My only suggestion is that if you're thinking self-defense with a .32 caliber handgun, it's a neck up caliber: meaning that to be effective you're going to have to hope for a CNS hit.

I have a Stainless Chief's Special in .38 SPL that I consider to be a neck up gun, which is why I no longer carry it. With 158 grain +P ammo, it does have substantial recoil.

Buena Suerte,

R
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/17/11
The .32 has been my favorite pistol round for over 30 years now, all in Colt revolvers. (Sorry General!) Current "go-to" .32 started out as a minty 4" Colt Police Positive Special a few years ago, and is now a well used but not abused one. I like the round for it's low cost to shoot, accuracy, and low recoil. With cast bullets and a smidgeon of powder, the biggest cost is the primer which goes a long way toward affording to shoot it enough to be proficient. I don't carry a pistol (Maryland, you know) but if I did I wouldn't feel under dressed with a .32. .45's and .357's have come and gone for me but the .32 is constant.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/17/11
General,

Your 431 is a little prettier than mine with those wood grips; looks nice. I like the feel of the standard Hogues, but the wood does look nice. What load do you carry? I have settled on the Federal Lead Flat Point. I haven't found ANY factory load that will expand from the 2" barrel.
Posted By: generalstuart Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
General,

Your 431 is a little prettier than mine with those wood grips; looks nice. I like the feel of the standard Hogues, but the wood does look nice. What load do you carry? I have settled on the Federal Lead Flat Point. I haven't found ANY factory load that will expand from the 2" barrel.

Hello Kevin

I Hand load my carry ammo for my 431 as I do Not like the factory loaded stuff. I use 9.0 Grains of Accurate Arms # 5 powder with a 85 Grain Hornady XTP Bullet and CCI small Magnum primer... TheGeneral
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/17/11
seems to me a light single shot rifle, like a Low Wall, or one of the smaller Stevens, would make a nice place to put a .32 long for small game hunting & such. Nice companion to one of those fine old revos.
Posted By: T LEE Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/18/11
I have been keeping an eye out for a suitable (AND AFFORDABLE on little money) Stevens falling Block or Remington #4 rolling Block to do just such a deal. Someday, perhaps..................
Posted By: Jericho Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/22/11
Didnt Ruger make a few #1 single shots in 32S&W?
Posted By: anachronism Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/22/11
They're a dandy bunny gun. Mind you I wouldn't want to be shot with even a .22 LR, but I would personally reserve a 32 long for field & plinking use. Even a 38 spl with wadcutters make the 32 long look anemic. I have had 32 H&R in a single-Six, and a few DA 32 longs, but just couldn't warm up to them. Now 9mm & 38 Spl is as low as I care to go on the powerband. They would make a totally slick small game gun, especially in a lightweight rifle.
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/24/11
Question I'd like to throw in here for all you folks.....

Anyone have experience in the field with hardcast .32 long loads when the critters get bigger than small game? Say coon, fox and coyote?

I'm thinkin of carrying my .32 Single Six with me when I'm predator hunting instead of a .22 but I am a little worried about penetration with some powder puff, hardcast H&R loads I have worked up for small game and plinkin. Penetration on soft maple (I know, not the best test medium :P) is only about 1" to the back of the bullet and less than that of a HP .22lr.

BTW, loads are 2grs. of Titegroup behind a 98gr rnfp in H&R brass. Don't have a chrono so I don't know exactly where I ended up.

CB
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/24/11
I have used .32 Longs to kill a few garbage raiding coons, feral dogs, garden raiding groundhogs, and one fox. 98 grain SWC at whatever the velocity is with a "factory load duplicating" charge of Bullseye (never bothered chrono'ing it). Quick clean kills. All at under 25 yards. Bullets cast soft (wheel weights)- no need for hard cast bullets in a .32, they'll probably lead the barrel more than soft ones anyway.
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/25/11
Thanks for the info gnoahhh. Still a little worried about the power of these loads but I'll work something out. As for wheel weights vs. hardcast......... I'm buying not casting my own so I'm kinda stuck on the hardcast unless someone knows of some cast available that are softer.

CB
Posted By: T LEE Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 10/25/11
Buy the extruded bullets, they are softer by far.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 11/11/11
IMHO..

Some old straight wall cartridges get made a little longer and get registered at a higher pressure.
They made a mistake with the 32 H&R mag, in that it failed to take advantage of how high the pressure could be and still not get stuck cases. To exploit that margin, the case had to be lengthened and the pressure upped a second time to the 327 Fed Mag.
Revolvers with a 6 at once extractor can get stuck cases at ~ 40,000 psi, depending on the thickness of the steel chamber wall:

38 special -> 357 mag
44 special -> 44 mag
45 Colt -> 454 Casull
32 S&W long -> 32 H&R mag -> 327 Fed Mag

I buy 100 year old Colt 32 S&W long revolvers and load them until the cases stick and then back off a safety margin.
I like 800X and LIL'GUN for the 32 S&W Long.

One problem I have had is blown out forcing cones in the old Colts.
The barrel is unscrewed, the forcing cone TIG welded up, and then re cut with a thicker profile.
The hot loads then proceed without incident.

John Bercovitz explaining the math of sticky revolver cases in 1993
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 11/12/11
Originally Posted by Clarkm
IMHO..

Some old straight wall cartridges get made a little longer and get registered at a higher pressure.
They made a mistake with the 32 H&R mag, in that it failed to take advantage of how high the pressure could be and still not get stuck cases. To exploit that margin, the case had to be lengthened and the pressure upped a second time to the 327 Fed Mag.
Revolvers with a 6 at once extractor can get stuck cases at ~ 40,000 psi, depending on the thickness of the steel chamber wall:

38 special -> 357 mag
44 special -> 44 mag
45 Colt -> 454 Casull
32 S&W long -> 32 H&R mag -> 327 Fed Mag

I buy 100 year old Colt 32 S&W long revolvers and load them until the cases stick and then back off a safety margin.
I like 800X and LIL'GUN for the 32 S&W Long.

One problem I have had is blown out forcing cones in the old Colts.
The barrel is unscrewed, the forcing cone TIG welded up, and then re cut with a thicker profile.
The hot loads then proceed without incident.

John Bercovitz explaining the math of sticky revolver cases in 1993

I'm kinda on the other side of the fence when it comes to the .32 H&R. I actually don't find a need for the .327 and think the H&R has enough extra poop over the .32long to make it dang near perfect for a .32. I don't want or need the horsepower and blast of the .327 and in 6 shot SD revolvers don't think a bad guy is going to know much if any difference between an H&R and the .327. You can take things too far. YMMV.

CB
Posted By: william_iorg Re: 32 S&W long caliber - 11/12/11
[/quote]

I'm kinda on the other side of the fence when it comes to the .32 H&R. I actually don't find a need for the .327 and think the H&R has enough extra poop over the .32long to make it dang near perfect for a .32. I don't want or need the horsepower and blast of the .327 and in 6 shot SD revolvers don't think a bad guy is going to know much if any difference between an H&R and the .327. You can take things too far. YMMV.

CB [/quote]

I agree with just about all of this. The 32 H&R Magnum in handgun or rifle is just about the perfect small game cartridge.
The only shots the 32 Magnum has come up on the short side with are heavy raccoon for cross body shots which take the shoulder and porcupine. The 32 Magnum will kill porcupine but will not always bring them out of the tree with one shot.
I shot a female raccoon this morning with the 327 and a 115-grain factory Gold Dot. Large exit hole and quick kill but if I had not had a clear path for the bullet to travel after it exited I would not have taken the shot.

USMC General Vernon Megee had a Ruger No 1 in 32 S&W Long.
Ellis Lea had a Remington 788 in 32 S&W Long.
Ross Seyfried had a Ruger No 3 in 32 H&R Magnum. Seyfrieds article caused us to ut a 24� 32 Magnum TC barrel which makes a fine walking around gun.
© 24hourcampfire