Home
Posted By: Mak Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience to share regarding the Uberti 44 magnum, Single Action offering.
I do recall some years ago that Uberti offered a 44 single action that looks a lot like this one in their new catalog.
Also recall that various complaints were made of pierced primers, and somewhat lightweight construction, with that early model.
Anyhow, would like to hear from anyone with light to shed on this gun.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
I have a Callahan NM Target and I love it! It's accurate, has a really nice action, and it looks good. Oh, and they are priced right IMO. Here is mine:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I have a Callahan NM Target and I love it! It's accurate, has a really nice action, and it looks good. Oh, and they are priced right IMO. Here is mine:

[Linked Image]
I don't recall ever seeing a Uberti .44 Mag in that configuration; good looking revolver. Uberti makes good guns, no doubt about that.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
I've owned a couple. They were okay, but I didn't really shoot them enough to give a real thumbs-up. The one Whitworth has is a newer version of what used to be called the "Super Buckhorn", I think.

I can't see the advantage unless they're significantly cheaper than a Super Blackhawk-which is made here. Uberti generally puts out a good product.
They retail for about $600.00. Will it stand up to the abuse of a Ruger? It's doubtful, but I have my full throttle guns, and all the rest. It's an impressive little revolver and considerably smaller and lighter than a Blackhawk. I really like it.
Here's a link to their website:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single_action_cattleman.php
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
Since it has the older Colt�s style lockwork, it will require more maintenance; but with proper maintenance, I don�t know why it wouldn�t hold up to long years of full magnum use. With all the screws, they will work loose, so you�ll have to keep them tightened, because if they loosen up, then you really can do damage to the revolver. But if all the screws are tight, and the cylinder pin stays tight, she�ll hold up to most anything you can reasonably throw at her. Just have to realize the design is different and make accommodations for the design, simple.
Posted By: Mak Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/07/11
Well, I sure find that target version there to be quite a looker. Speaking personally, I find the New Model Super Blackhawk a bit too heavy and a bit too noticeable in carry mode when I go about my business. I have been looking for something a little lighter. A while ago, USFA announced they were going to release their Shooting Master in 44 mag, they have one in 357, which is great, but nada in the 44.
Colt has not seen fit to ever continue their 44 mag SAA project, and so that pretty much leaves Aldo Uberti or bust.
This recommendation, and excellent photo, is moving me to closer consideration of the Callahan.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/08/11
Mak, I have been exceedingly happy with it and it is priced well as far as I am concerned. I would seriously consider one if I were in your position.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/08/11
Originally Posted by Mak
Well, I sure find that target version there to be quite a looker. Speaking personally, I find the New Model Super Blackhawk a bit too heavy and a bit too noticeable in carry mode when I go about my business. I have been looking for something a little lighter. A while ago, USFA announced they were going to release their Shooting Master in 44 mag, they have one in 357, which is great, but nada in the 44.
Colt has not seen fit to ever continue their 44 mag SAA project, and so that pretty much leaves Aldo Uberti or bust.
This recommendation, and excellent photo, is moving me to closer consideration of the Callahan.
How about a used Vaquero? The New Vaq is a sweet gun, but the old one was completely safe with .44 Mag and hot 45 Colt. I had one of the first made in 44-40 and owned a couple in 44 Mag. as well.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/08/11
From pictures on the link to Uberti's website, it bears a resemblance to the Herters Single Action I used to own- mostly in the grip area.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Uberti 44 mag. - 10/08/11
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by Mak
How about a used Vaquero? The New Vaq is a sweet gun, but the old one was completely safe with .44 Mag and hot 45 Colt. I had one of the first made in 44-40 and owned a couple in 44 Mag. as well.

Maybe he wants adjustable sights and a smaller package.
© 24hourcampfire