Home
With all these threads about "need" lets have one about what really matters: what handguns are you enjoying shooting right now? I own some I don't enjoy shooting ::Glock, cough... Glock:: but they serve a purpose so I have them. Here's a few that fall squarely within the "enjoyable" category and I've been shooting them quite a bit lately:

Colt Shooting Master 38spl. Not much can beat a soft-recoiling large-frame 38spl target revolver, and the Shooting Master was Colt's finest offering between the wars. This one was made in 1931 and has an action that is as fine as any tuned Python I've handled. 148gr wadcutter; 1.8gr Bullseye.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been in a bit of a large-frame snubby phase lately and these two are just too much fun. S&W M27-2, 3.5" with aftermarket gold bead front sight; this one sees a 158gr LSWC over 2400. The bottom gun is a S&W M24-3 3" Lew Horton special run in 44spl. It gets a 250gr Keith bullet over 9gr of Unique. Soft-shooters these guns aren't, but they're not magnums either. Just fun old guns and if you haven't shot a short-barreled N-frame, you should. You'll never look at a Ruger LCR the same way again grin

[Linked Image]

And last, but not least, we have a Lipsey's exclusive Ruger Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP convertible flattop. Running a 250gr LSWC over 5.5gr of Hogdon Trailboss in the 45 Colt cylinder gives almost no recoil and decent accuracy out to 30 yards. Good times with a soft-shooting single-action, the kind of thing that makes you forget all about whether a Glock is better than a 1911 laugh

[Linked Image]

So, what handguns are you enjoying presently?
My buddy hocked his 15, so I really like his twin 22 LR/38 Special Officers Model Match's from the sixties, although the 1930's 38 OMM at 35 paces is silly accurate.
I've got a mid-50's Officer's Model Match and you're right, they're really accurate. Great guns and really affordable because they don't say "357 Magnum" on them. I got mine for a song at a local store, according to them they couldn't sell it because "noone wants a heavy 38 special."
Colt 1911.
What vintage and configuration? Although I haven't taken it out in a few weeks, I really enjoy shooting this one with 230gr LRN's over Trailboss. It's a Colt Commercial Model, made in 1918:

[Linked Image]
O45: That is sweet! I have only two handguns: SA 1911/5" and a Ruger Blackhawk .38/357. I shoot the .45acp WAY more than the .38, altho I like both. Two loads for the .45.
230gr LRN-3.8gr Clays
230gr FMJ[Sierra Tournament Master]-5.7 Universal

.38spl-158gr swc-5.0gr Unique.
Those are my stay to loads. grin
Originally Posted by rifletom
O45: That is sweet! I have only two handguns: SA 1911/5" and a Ruger Blackhawk .38/357. I shoot the .45acp WAY more than the .38, altho I like both. Two loads for the .45.
230gr LRN-3.8gr Clays
230gr FMJ[Sierra Tournament Master]-5.7 Universal

.38spl-158gr swc-5.0gr Unique.
Those are my stay to loads. grin

Can't go wrong with that combo! That Unique load in the 38spl is a great one, a pound of powder lasts forever and the gun (and the shooter) don't get beat up at all. Good times.
I've a few handguns but the one I always seem to reach for first is my Colt Anaconda. That revolver just feels right.
What loads do you like in that Anaconda? I've handled them but never shot them, always liked the balance that full lug-ventilated-rib barrel gave.
I have really gotten to like my SuperRedhawk. I was a dyed-in-the-wool SuperBlackhawk fan until I bought the SRH. I like the fit and feel better, and I seem to be able to shoot it somewhat more consistently (accurately).

But, I still have a SBH.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Currently enjoying my Springfield 1911 RO and a Browning Nomad 22 LR that I picked up for a song.
An old Dan Wesson Model 15, .357 Mag. I have a surplus of 38 spl. +P ammo and have recently been shooting it up.

It's an accurate revolver, and I have been getting better too.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
What vintage and configuration? Although I haven't taken it out in a few weeks, I really enjoy shooting this one with 230gr LRN's over Trailboss. It's a Colt Commercial Model, made in 1918:

[Linked Image]

How many grains of Trailboss? I've wound up with a significant quantity of it that was purchased for Cowboy Action Shooting and my wife and I haven't participated much lately---would love to work up a good practice ACP load with it to use it up.
This one:
[Linked Image]

CB
My fave has been the same since I bought it, S&W 617 K-22 10 shot.

[Linked Image]

This gun is just too darned fun to put down; so I don�t. Mine remains in bone stock configuration.
[Linked Image]

Pure pleasure to shoot!

Topping Win-brass with 40g NBT's, at about 3000 fps, this is fun!
S&W Model 57 no dash, .41 Magnum:

[Linked Image]
I'm growing real fond of my Ruger 44 Special.

[Linked Image]
I enjoy shooting the various 1911's that I have, as always.

Probably put the most rounds through my High Standard Trophy match 22, though, because the ammo is still fairly cheap & I don't have to spend time reloading it.

I don't really enjoy shooting the one & only Glock I have, a M-27, but do it anyway to maintain proficiency with it. It's a good gun in all respects, just not lots of "fun" to burn up a lot of ammo with.

MM

I only have two at the moment. The Buck mark gets shot almost every day.

[Linked Image]

I had a Buck Mark identical to that one. Can't imagine why I ever sold it.
This time of year it will most likely be my 45 Colt Ruger Bisley, or my 44 Special Ruger Flattop.
I've been shooting this Uberti .44 Magnum a lot lately.

[Linked Image]

Loving the Redhawk .44 the most right now. Planning on using it as a Bambi slayer this year.
1. Ruger Bisley Vaquero, with Cowboy loads, .45 LC
2. Smith and Wesson 1911
I can't say there are many I don't enjoy, but as of late I've gotten an especially great deal of enjoyment from my Ruger .44 Special Blackhawks and SR1911. My trusty 5-1/2 inch Mark II target has never ceased bringing a smile to my face either
I'll admit I'm cheap, and these are cheap to shoot; pre-18, pre-17, Model 41:

[Linked Image]
right now I'm carrying my Springfield Light Weight Champion 45 acp with inside the pants holster and one spare magazine.
My Ruger super single six with a 9.5" barel
[Linked Image]
Dude! That long barreled bastard is sweet! Are those common?

I am addicted to the K-22 for sure...
[Linked Image]

Flattop's are better than... umm... not Flattops....

[Linked Image]

The only difference between a G22 and a 1911 is the G22 is prettier.

[Linked Image]

Travis

I kinda figured Travis was a "Go ugly early" kinda guy.
Oregon45: I "enjoyed" packing up my brand new Ruger MK III Hunter (22 LR semi-auto with 6.88" heavy stainless barrel and an optical sight) today and enjoyed driving it to the range for its first shooting test/sight in.
But once to my range the wind was howling at 25+ MPH and its direction was perpindicular to my intended bullets paths.
So I enjoyed sitting there listening to Rush Limbaugh for an hour waiting for the wind to subside - sadly it did not diminish at all.
I'll enjoy trying again tomorrow - maybe.
My main useage for this Ruger Mark III will be for closer ranged Ground Squirrels come next springtime here in the Rockies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I kinda figured Travis was a "Go ugly early" kinda guy.

You're a prick. But you're an accurate prick... grin

Travis
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

So I enjoyed sitting there listening to Rush Limbaugh for an hour

About 10 min. of Rush is my limit then I feel like taking a double jack to the radio, better than Keith Olberman though he is ZERO tolerance.
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I can't say there are many I don't enjoy, but as of late I've gotten an especially great deal of enjoyment from my Ruger .44 Special Blackhawks and SR1911. My trusty 5-1/2 inch Mark II target has never ceased bringing a smile to my face either

Whats your take on that SR1911? Been out of the 45 cal for a while....been shooting 10 mm & 40 S&W.
I am really enjoying my little Mod. 35....shot it today with some good ammo and it is lights out. like a kit gun all growed up. had so much fun with it today I came home and ordered a Tom Threepersons holster for it from El Paso Saddlery so I can tote it in the woods.
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Whats your take on that SR1911? Been out of the 45 cal for a while....been shooting 10 mm & 40 S&W.
It's a hell of a lot of value for the money. It's well-made and represents a good, basic 1911 with a lot of good features. It doesn't have any goofy Schwartz safety or other firing pin block and it performs well right out of the box. The only additional feature I wish Ruger would offer is a decent ambidextrous safety.
Dammit now I might have to buy one mad grin Wished now I hadn't given my 45 ACP stuff away cry
Been shooting a Bearcat I picked up at the local pawn shop early this year quite a bit. That and my M25-2 with AR brass and a 250 gr Keith.
I am more of a long gun shooter but the last few month's I have shot most every handgun trying to find what I like in handgun's.........LOVE my 1911's but this is my favorite pistol [Linked Image]

Witness 45acp
Was at the range Saturday in prep for Illinois deer season later this month. After sighting-in the muzzle loader I switched to my BUG (back-up gun) ... a Ruger Super Blackhawk, Bisley 7/2" bbl in .45 Long Colt. I use it for inside 50 yds if the deer gives me the opportunity. The handloads are 300 gr LFP pushed by 23gr of H-110. I love the "BOOM" and they are pleasantly accurate. wink
Kimber Custom II with the Rimfire Target conversion is getting a lotta love from me. If a handgun goes to the range, it's typically this one.
I probably shoot Colt SAA's the most, I have loved them since I was a kid. I also like the older 357 Pre-Python and an Officer's Match .22. I also like the Commercial 1911's with the old grip. Smith and Wesson made a great gun in the model 57, I have hunted with it. First model Ruger Bearcats are quite nice and even an original Japanese Nambu. Plus a few others that make it hard to shoot all of them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/100_3236.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/scan0011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Image5.jpg[/img]
I got this 44 Special in March and have had a lot of fun working up loads for it. As previously mentioned, I carry it often. It shoots very well and isn't fussy about what it's fed.

[Linked Image]
Larry, where'd you get that in .44 Spec.?
Most recently it's been a Ruger Mk II 5 1/2" bull barrel with a Burris Fastfire and a Ruger Mk III Target model, the 6 7/8" one with the slab side barrel. Can't say I like the look of that slab side but it does cut some weight from the long, otherwise heavy barrel profile, and handles very well. That long sight radius sure makes it easy to hit stuff precisely.

Not much to add about the 5 1/2" bull barrel that hasn't already been said, probably one of the finest versions Ruger has made for a great, low cost, super accurate do-it-all pistol.

Pretty pedestrian for me. Thank goodness, the short gun bug hasn't bit me like the long gun. But these pretty well cover my needs.

Top and going counter-clockwise, S&W .22 Airlite, J-frame S&W .357, Sig .357 Sig (with .40 S&W barrel), Ruger RH 45 Colt, tuned.

[Linked Image]
TRIGGERNOSIS
I got it here @ Arizona Arms --- good guys to deal with.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/dealer_home.asp?dealer_id=479138

This was a Distributor exclusive (TALO) so I'm not sure about current availability, but at the time this outfit had some at a fair price.

I should add that I bought the Elk antler grips from a grip maker. The Flattop came with black, plastic grips which also worked fine.
A 1943 Colt M1911.....
Today I enjoyed shooting three handguns, 1) an early 1960s Colt Government Model, 2) a Kahr P-9, and 3) A Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special with Pachmayr grips. It was my first time shooting this particular Bulldog (this one's double action only, with no hammer spur), although I had one back in the 1980s (same grips) that I liked very much. I was surprised at how mild the recoil was from such a light gun, however I wasn't happy with my groups at fifteen yards. I did MUCH better with both the Government Model and the Kahr. Guess I need to practice a bit more with the Bulldog. I certainly grouped well enough to be deadly with it at that range, though.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sgt217
A 1943 Colt M1911.....
Picture please.
Cool thread, great photos, everyone.

Lately I've been burning up my .45ACP ammo supply with these two:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I luv my XD's.
I have been shooting a lot of .45 ACP and .45 Colt lately but just picked up a Colt 1911 .22 and an old Colt .32-20 double action revolver to go with my old Marlin 32-20 lever action. Those two handguns should be a bucket full of fun.
All original Ithaca 1911a1. One of the 7000 shipped to the Naval supply depot in 1944. Good shooter. Nice 70% zinc parkerize. Never arsenal rebuilt
All original Ithaca 1911a1. One of the 7000 shipped to the Naval supply depot in 1944. Good shooter. Nice 70% zinc parkerize. Never arsenal rebuilt
That deserved a double posting. laugh

Enjoy shooting a Colt's Anaconda 44 mag.
These are the 4 handguns I shoot the most, but I'm not a big handgun guy. SA 1911, Glock 30, Beretta 92 and my Ruger Single Six. As you can tell I'm all over the map with handguns.

[Linked Image]
Picked this 3" Model 10-7 up earlier this year. Great shooting gun that carries well. [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DerbyStateHunter
Picked this 3" Model 10-7 up earlier this year. Great shooting gun that carries well. [Linked Image]
That's one of my favorite configuration of the Model 10. The round butt version in that barrel length is my very favorite.
I really like the 3" Smith's. Once had a 3" 65 I wish I had held on too....young and dumber then!
I really like the 3" Smith's. Once had a 3" 65 I wish I had held on too....young and dumber then!
You deserve a kick in the butt for letting that one slip out of your hands. grin That's a hard configuration to find nowadays. I've had one since the 1980s. That's a "never sell."

[Linked Image]

Attached picture SW Mod 65.JPG
Yup been kicking myself for about 15 years now. crazy They are hard to find and they command a premium price. One day I plan to have another. I think long and hard before selling any firearm nowadays.
Yup thats what it looked like. Very nice looking 65 Hawkeye.
Lately during hunting season, it has been these two.Dang,there fun to shoot.

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Believe it or not, I think the most fun I've had with a handgun is while shooting my S&W 460V. Even with full pressure 460 loads, recoil is manageable. I had some 454 Casull and 45 Colt loads worked up to run through it for reduced recoil, but ever since I discovered Trailboss I've used 460 brass exclusively. I found that around 9 - 10 grains of Trailboss under a 240 gr. LSWC very nearly duplicates 45 Colt standard pressure loads and recoil with those rounds in the 460 is negligible. It's a fairly accurate load, too. I love the versatility of the 460.
S&W M15 4 inch heavy barrel. Love it.

Expat
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You deserve a kick in the butt for letting that one slip out of your hands. grin That's a hard configuration to find nowadays. I've had one since the 1980s. That's a "never sell."

[Linked Image]

That's doing something for me.

Expat
I have been really enjoying shooting everything these days

Last week I got a chance to shoot a 617 S&W I have wanted one for a little while now I know I really want one it was just fun

I may not look like a tough guy but I really like rimfire
Hank
The ones always in the shooting bag:
the wife's 7" Buckmark
and my 7" Model 41

Then a CF of one make or another..
S & W M&P9C
or G20
SW 10
SRH .44

Walther PK 380
Lately an alloy framed Kimber CDP II I won at a NRA dinner .
[Linked Image]
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44spl and SIG 1911 RCS 45 ACP.
Can't forget the 17-6.
© 24hourcampfire