Home
Posted By: Tony Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/26/12
A couple of mine, one about original and one a "tweaked" former early M29-2.

[Linked Image]

The original "big throated" cylinder so common from the above,

[Linked Image]

And the former M29,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/26/12
Here's mine. 5" TAPERED heavy bbl,black satin,laser etched. smooth cylinder. Shoot the daylights out of it!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Here's mine. 5" TAPERED heavy bbl,black satin,laser etched. smooth cylinder. Shoot the daylights out of it!
[Linked Image]

Those are hard to find, too!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/26/12
I sure like my 25-5. I had a conversion cylinder made to allow shooting of .45 ACP as well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/26/12
25-2 150th Anniversary edition in a wood presentation case

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ken458 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
I love em! Here are a few:
8 3/8" nickel and a 25-7 5":
[Linked Image]
25-9 5":
[Linked Image]
And my favorite, a 4" 25-5 with correct throats:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great gun in a great caliber. I like them a lot, but never had one. I've had a few in .45 ACP.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
I had a 625 Mountain Gun but sold it when I realized it would never be used for its intended purpose (Western hiking). It was a fun gun to shoot with standard loads and a really "fun" gun to shoot with the Corbon +P 335gr hard cast lead loads.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
One of the hardest choices I have to make when going to the range was summed up by the band "Chicago." 25, or 624? grin

[Linked Image]

That's my Model 25, no dash, Model of 1955 6.5" 45 ACP slumming it with my M624 44spl. Not particularly accurate for a 45ACP revolver and I suspect that throat dimensions have something to do with that as it does better with cheap swaged lead bullets in 45 Auto-Rim cases. I've a mind to find a Model 29 cylinder, have it reamed to minimum 45 Colt dimensions and fitted to this revolver. It wouldn't be original, but it'd be a shootin' fool grin
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Present and accounted for. I have a 625 Mountain Gun that's been on a few hog hunts and accounted for a few small piglets in a dark sudan patch one night. Muzzle blast is impressive...almost as impressive as the squealing piggies! And it was almost sceery standing in the dark waiting to hear rustling in the stalks.....almost!

Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
My old 25-5 45 Colt. Beautiful gun, but the 8 3/8" barrel just doesn't balance for me. The walnut grips were by Don Collins, who does excellent work.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tony Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
25-2 150th Anniversary edition in a wood presentation case

[Linked Image]

That ain't no 45 Colt. grin But I do like them too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Tony, I've got two 45 cal N-frame S&W's at present. The 625-4 Mountain Gun is my packing-est big bore revolver ever, so far. I had one in 45 ACP, but the power-to-weight ratio of that revolver just didn't make any sense. The 45 Colt 625 is IMHO the best incarnation of the Mountain Gun series for too many reasons to enumerate here. The .44 Magnum version is a good second choice, but I have worked with the .45 Colt cartridge so much now that it's really the only way to go for me.

The only way I could see improving the 625 Mountain Gun would be to send it to Mr. Bowen and have him rebarrel it to 5", and the improvement would be so slight that I'm not sure I could justify the expense.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Wow, great photos!
Posted By: Tony Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
A 5" N-frame is a fine piece, the finest I believe. My custom 45 Colt above is a 5" gun as is the M29 44 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Here's my MG in its favorite cradle, an El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons rig.

[Linked Image]

Factory grips on it at present. I had a pair of fat wood grips from an unknown maker that I liked, but they cracked when I was at the range a few weeks ago. The Magna's shoot just fine, but I like custom grips on my revolvers, so I'll be buying a new set here in the next little while.

[Linked Image]
I don't know why the images are coming out small. Hmmmm.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by DocRocket

That's because you have too many guns as it is Doc....you should send that one to me since I've been wanting one for many years! grin

Nice pistola....
Posted By: temmi Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
I am a fan of all 45 Colts
Posted By: ken458 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
One of the hardest choices I have to make when going to the range was summed up by the band "Chicago." 25, or 624? grin

That's funny...and now I know everytime I open the safe door what song is going to be running silently in my head!!! wink
Originally Posted by frogman43
Originally Posted by DocRocket

That's because you have too many guns as it is Doc....you should send that one to me since I've been wanting one for many years! grin

Nice pistola....

Keith, that 625 MG is one I'm not likely to ever sell... this particular Mountain Gun was not manufactured in large numbers, and folks who have them tend to not give them up. I bought mine from the widow of a friend of a friend. I'd tried to buy it from him several times, but he wouldn't part with it. I paid her a fair price for it, but not the kind of crack-smokin' prices they usually go for on Gunbroker.

As for having too many guns, I dunno. I think my revolvers are having sex in the safe when I'm not around... seems every couple months I find a new J-frame or K-frame in there, and some of 'em have growed up into N-frames...
laugh
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by Tony

And the former M29,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fantastic. Who made your Roper's?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
I would love for S&W to come out with a 325PD with .453 throats and .452 barrel.
Perhaps a rookie question, but does your 625 MG have a round butt under those grips? My buddy's does.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
Yes. They all do, as far as I'm aware. Gives you a lot more options in terms of what grips you can put on it.
Thanks - I was pretty sure that was the case but I make no claims to expertise. I sure do envy my friend's 625 MG. I have a few 4-inch N-frames (with square butts) but no Mountain Guns. I have a clean Mod 58 that I've tried to trade him for his....
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
. . .That ain't no 45 Colt. grin But I do like them too. . .

Beg pardon? confused
Posted By: Tony Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

And the former M29,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Fantastic. Who made your Roper's?

Keith Brown
Posted By: Tony Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12

Beg pardon? confused

M25-2's are 45 ACP's or AR's, which is what I shoot in mine, not 45 Colt's. Note the short cylinder compared to the M25-5's and the like.
Posted By: DW12 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
I have been looking for a used SW 625 45 Colt, and they are hard to find. There are many 'others' with the same desire as me.

If only SW would make another run of these N frames, life would be good, (4 or 5 inch barrels).
Posted By: ChasR Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
Here's mine, a 625-7, - I sent it to TK Custom and had him machine the cylinder to take moon clips. Doing that enabled me to use .45 ACP or .45 LC. And reloading is fast!!

Mine's as accurate as needed - meaning it shoots as well as I do!
I love the thing almost as much as my beloved 1911s!

http://moonclips.com/default.asp

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12
My Model 625 Mountain gun is a personal favorite.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/28/12

Beg pardon? confused

M25-2's are 45 ACP's or AR's, which is what I shoot in mine, not 45 Colt's. Note the short cylinder compared to the M25-5's and the like.

Thanks for pointing that out Tony. I just visited the S&W Forum and see I have a lot of catching up to do in my reading on the 25-2.
Originally Posted by CRounds
Here's mine, a 625-7, - I sent it to TK Custom and had him machine the cylinder to take moon clips. Doing that enabled me to use .45 ACP or .45 LC. And reloading is fast!!

Mine's as accurate as needed - meaning it shoots as well as I do!
I love the thing almost as much as my beloved 1911s!

http://moonclips.com/default.asp

[Linked Image]
Cool. Best of all worlds.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/29/12
CRounds/others,

Great revolvers. Especially those that can shoot 45LC and ACP.
I have a 625 in 45ACP. I called S&W to see if they could fit a 45LC cylinder and the guy I talked to said it couldn't be done. Now I'm beginning to doubt if the SOB was shooting straight with me.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/29/12
Originally Posted by Dons1
I have a 625 in 45ACP. I called S&W to see if they could fit a 45LC cylinder and the guy I talked to said it couldn't be done. Now I'm beginning to doubt if the SOB was shooting straight with me.
No, he's telling you the truth. Your cylinder is shorter and the barrel intrudes into the cylinder window.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/30/12
Thanks hiker. Now I recall him mentioning the cylinder was shorter. I initially thought that all they had to do was match up a LC cylinder to my frame and all was good to go.

I have a convertible Ruger BH with the 2 cylinders, but it doesn't seem to have quite the class of an N Frame Smith.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/30/12

Beg pardon? confused

Thanks for pointing that out Tony. I just visited the S&W Forum and see I have a lot of catching up to do in my reading on the 25-2.

After spending a bit of time on the S&W forum I have to conclude that my 125th Commemorative pistol is a 25-3 (not a 25-2) and it is chambered in .45 colt. It says ".45 Caliber" on the barrel. .45 LC cartridges fit the cylinder. Click the photo for a link to the discussion.

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple of photos of a pistol on GI just like mine that show the roll marks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Any S&W 45 Colt Fans? - 01/31/12
I am a 45 Colt lover. However, I prefer to carry my 1911 "45 Colt".....in 45 Super. It offers the same ballistics but in a 1911 format.

Have yet to find my desired 45 Colt S & W, a 5" 25-9 with smooth cylinder just like Ken458's. Makes me jealous.
© 24hourcampfire