Home
Dang what a shooter.

As most of you know I am sort of new to pistols. I have a Browning, Colt Gold Cup, Glock 23, Beretta and a Star.

Of all those guns I like the feel of the Woodsman and it's trigger best.

Today I finally had time to shoot W more. The first time I was limited by time and low quality bullets. Today I shot Remington HPs because I could not find anything else at Dicks. It ate 100 with NO ISSUES. Bang! 100 times. Perfect.

What is like the Woodsman but modern and suitable for self defense? (my guess is the answer is...keep shooting different guns til you find one)

After shooting the W and the Gold Cup today and then the browning which is my daily carry...I was sort of disappointed in B. Although I have raved about it since I got it (honeymoon?) I guess there are just way better shooters.

I understand why people have them (brownings) customized but I am into "bone stock". Concerned about liability. And, as much as guns cost I think they should work out of the box without having to customize other than sight work.
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1

What is like the Woodsman but modern and suitable for self defense? (my guess is the answer is...keep shooting different guns til you find one)

Hmmm...that's a question I honestly have not considered before...
The Woodsman is a .22 and a heavy one at that. The .22 isn't a good round for self-defense in the first place and the Woodsman platform isn't a good one for a .22 if that is what you're going to use for self-defense. I mean, about the only argument you can make for the .22 is in a platform meant for deep concealment. None of the Woodsman variants would fill the bill.

I like my Woodsman very much. I'm sure it would make do if that's all I had, but it isn't very powerful nor is it very concealable.

[Linked Image]
Cole, I agree the Woodsman/22 are not great for Self Defense. I am wondering what is like it in that it feels good and like quality and the way the trigger works??? Thx
luger has the same grip angle......and is a proven 'defense' piece<grin>
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

[Linked Image]

That model woodsman is prolly the schittiest one made, as far as concealment is concerned....... Shave off a couple inches of barrel, lose the lug, [bleep] the bulky thumbrest, shorten the grip frame and then you have a very concealable piece that still has 10 rd capacity, points like a laser and hides better than just about ANY 'self-defense' model. I can never remember feeling undergunned with a 22 for all the years it was my only pistolie, and hides meskin carry, shoulder rig, or inside vest pocket of a carhart vest better than any other 4 incher. Yup, talking first series Sport......

[Linked Image]

The 22 isn't the best choice but better than a stick. The Ruger Standard 22 lr Semi-Auto pistol would make a great carry 22 with Stingers or Mini-Mag HP's
I wasn't posting it as an example of a CCW gun or even an example of how bad a Woodsman would be for concealed carry. I just posted it because the OP neglected to post a pic of his.

I like mine just fine for our purposes which don't include CCW. I don't have any plans to get a skinny barreled one.
too bad.... You don't know what yer missing as a field plinker.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

That would be my favoritist of your Woodsman collection.
There was a time in the OSS, when the little "Woodsman" was "the" weapon of choice for quiet work.

Dan
Originally Posted by tjm10025
[Linked Image]

Lots of wabbits and scrats taken to the pot by them

A great gun.

Wish I still had my uncle's old one..
Colt .22 pistols are nice guns. I have a Colt Huntsman model that was purchased new in the 70's for ..... well, it wasn't much.

I guess John Hinckley didn't get the memo that .22's rimfires were ineffective ..... and he SURE didn't read the memo that cheap revolvers were only useful as paperweights. Who does that guy think he is?

A True Small Caliber War Story:

A group of guys were sitting around a table playing cards - all of them were liquored up pretty good. Robert caught Little Mickey cheating, and without hesitation pulled an elcheapo .22 revolver from his pocket. He leaned across the table and shot him between the eyes at a distance of less than 2 feet. Little Mickey pitched backwards out of his chair as smoke from the gunshot filtered towards the ceiling. A few seconds passed, and Little Mickey picked himself off the floor, and took his place at the table again. With a tone of annoyance, he wiped the blood weeping from the entrance hole between his eyes and said, "Damn, Robert - put that thing up before you hurt somebody."

:^)
Posted By: JOG Re: My new old toy, the Woodsman - 03/12/12
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I guess John Hinckley didn't get the memo that .22's rimfires were ineffective ...

Not much of an endorsement. Hinckley failed to kill anyone with three hits including a headshot on Brady.
But he put three down.

Dan
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Not this'un? It's in mo betta shape...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I personally like that one a lot better. If mine had that much condition, that's the one I'd take first though. I like the blocky, heavy barrel. That heavy round one looks good though. Kinda reminiscent of a half-octagon/half-round barreled 1886 Winchester.

Guess I'll have to drive over and look at 'em up close.
Might as well choot 'em whilst yer here.

One of these days, I'd enjoy that.
I was not asking what 22 is suitable for self defense. What feels like and triggers like the Woodsman, but a more practical round.

BTW, I think Robert Kennedy was killed with a 22.

Thanks.
luger has the same grip angle......and is a proven 'defense' piece<grin>
Hey, Huntsman, do you carry your Woodsman(s) with their chambers loaded and the safety on or with the chambers empty ? E
I, too, have seen people shot in the head and survive. But I've seen so many people shot and die slowly from .22's to ever doubt their abilities. Very ugly to see what a body shot does to a BG.
.22's in handguns, and the Woodsman in particular, are really sweet guns. Very accurate and as easily to hit small targets with as I've ever used. Really sorry I sold my Sport model. E
I have no close quarters experience with tougher animals than 425 pound hogs. I have seen many of them crumble from a single 22 round. Certainly not the best, but give me a reliable 22 LR and hollow points and I feel pretty well gunned on an average.

I also know of an Arizona cowboy who shoots treed lions with his 22. He told me a story about his son experimenting with new 357 rounds. After peppering their cat with them he dispatched it with his 22. Said the 357s expanded too quickly in that case. I have hunted with this man and believe him to be truthful as he is a good ol boy completely free of the need to impress others.

I also know an AZ fellow who prefers his 22 mag lever rifle for treed bears. I cannot vouch for his statements, however.

I wish I had grandpa's Woodsman and would never change a thing on it.
I saw a huntsman today with the mag release button up on the stock (not on the butt/heel). It had replacement grips and was well worn. $759.00 asking price at a pawn shop that commonly drops 25% without asking. (in case anyone needs one)
I believe you were mistaken. Colt 3rd series model 'S' pistols, including the Huntsman, were not made with the thumb button mag release.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Hey, Huntsman, do you carry your Woodsman(s) with their chambers loaded and the safety on or with the chambers empty ? E

Sorry, E. I missed the Q earlier. Mostly carry empty chamber, waistband or vest pocket. It don't take much time to rack it. If hunting wabbits and such, with a holster, I'll go hot w/ safety.
Thanks, Huntsman. E
© 24hourcampfire