Home
I'm currently without a 22lr handgun.

I wasn't planning on replacing it as I thought I would shoot 38spec out of my GP100 for similiar effect.

Due you guys believe a 22lr handgun deserves a spot in one's arsenal?

Here's my reasoning I'm asking. I was debating whether to buy another GP100 to add to my collection or instead add a S&W 617 22lr

Leo
I went for a long time without one in mine. They're pretty handy but not essential. I'd rather have one than two of the same model .357, unless the .357's had totally different missions.
You can cure a lot of ills caused by larger calibers by keeping yourself tuned up with a .22LR handgun. Also, new shooters should be started with a .22LR in my opinion. My fiance had never fired a gun in her life until I started teaching her to shoot.....she loves shooting my Colt Woodsman more than any other firearm I own.....
I went without one for many years, now I own a couple, I use them more than any other pistol when I am working on my hunting leases. Not many problems in the southeast you cannot solve with a 22LR pistol. Get one of those inexpensive auto pistols, the ruger sr22 comes to mind. I have a new smith 63 and I am not impressed with it's accuracy, lets just say at 7 yards I shoot 5 38 wadcutters from a titanium centennial into a smaller group than the 63 shooting CCI pistol match. It may be the stupid red fiber sight but it's headed back to smith a second time this month for sure.
Since I have reloaded since the day I bought a centerfire handgun, and a .22 on the same day, my .22 didn't see a lot of use. Now I shoot them a lot.

They are 100% necessary if you are planning on teaching anyone to shoot.

With the cost of even reloading centerfire ammo right now, 550 rounds of .22 for $20.00 goes a long way.... Get a .22 that closely matches your centerfire gun and you can get in a lot of effective practice for pennies instead of dollars...

Bob
I have four, and wouldn't be without them. Like others have said, it is essential for teaching newcomers, and occasionally for refining the mechanics of watching a front sight and squeezing a trigger. (Even in us old comers).
Originally Posted by frogman43
You can cure a lot of ills caused by larger calibers by keeping yourself tuned up with a .22LR handgun. Also, new shooters should be started with a .22LR in my opinion. My fiance had never fired a gun in her life until I started teaching her to shoot.....she loves shooting my Colt Woodsman more than any other firearm I own.....

WHAT!!??
You mean you didn't give her a 500 Smith and Wesson and then video her getting slapped in the forehead so you could post it on youtube?

You must really like this girl.

(BTW, I am just joking. I know you aren't the type to do a silly stunt like that, but I've seen it done so often all I can do is shake my head these days.)
Everybody needs a .22 pistol. It's the closest that you can get to being a kid with a BB gun again. You don't have to worry about noise, recoil or ammo cost.
Hmm, ok. You guys are making a very convincing case smile

A 4" S&W 617 would be a good understudy handgun to compliment my 4" GP100.

The GP100 I have now is the blued version, wanted one in stainless but that may go on back burner while I get the S&W 617 22lr instead.

...back burner...no, sell the blue, buy a stainless and then get the 617....that way all will match...

If you want all blue look for a Dan Wesson .22...I have one with interchangeable 4 and 6" barrels and it is a great shooter...

Bob
Originally Posted by leomort

I wasn't planning on replacing it as I thought I would shoot 38spec out of my GP100 for similiar effect.

Yes.. Most definitely..

Here's my reasoning I'm asking. I was debating whether to buy another GP100 to add to my collection or instead add a S&W 617 22lr

Leo

617. Without question.

Travis
Everyone needs the best shooting 22 pistol they can afford.
A guy at the shop handed me an new Ruger 22 semi auto.. the SR?
the poly frame one.
Nice gun but the trigger needs work.
He says" who cares, it's a 22?"
I says " life's too short to go through it with a bad trigger!"

We shoot something like 10 000 22's a year.
Family competition with pistols, pins with Ruger 10-22's you name it.
No matter what else is in the gun case a 22 is in there too.
I need another one now. I'm thinking Smith model 41.
There is something seriously wrong with someone who does not own a good 22 LR handgun. Perfecting shooting techniques or refreshing old ones is best done with a non recoiling handgun so that the shooter can focus on techniques and not recoil.
I've had my S&W K-22 with target hammer trigger and grips since the the 1960's. It was my trapline gun for many years and I couldn't tell you how many critters it's dispatched including rabbits, squirrels and grouse. That's one handgun that I'll never part with.
Without a .22LR handgun or two you really don't have an "arsenal." smile
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I need another one now. I'm thinking Smith model 41.

You will never look for another 22 after it!
I don't think anyone should be without a quality .22 LR pistol or revolver.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't think anyone should be without a quality .22 LR pistol or revolver.

^ this.

Nothing better than paying 18 dollars for 550 rounds and spending the day shooting with out all the noise and recoil.
45 ACP is 30 cents a piece. 22 LR is under 3 cents. Do you even have to ask?
Originally Posted by MOGC
Without a .22LR handgun or two you really don't have an "arsenal." smile

+1 Or three or four....
The only problem I have with shooting a good accurate .22 handgun is that it gets boring real quick.I would rather shoot a .357 or 9mm or other center fire.It takes longer to get my fill of shooting.
To answer your question,Yes all arsenals should have at least one quality .22 handgun.I have a Browning Buckmark and it is a fine and accurate pistol at a very good and affordable price.
Absolutely.
The guy with just one handgun can do alot with a wisely choosen .22 rimfire.
For instance, one of mine is a Ruger Convertible. With the .22 Magnum RF cylinder in place, it can take alot small stuff and even some not so small stuff.
A guy who packs a 1911, can get a .22 RF practice unit for it.
But, above all, they encourage one to shoot. And, since handgun shooting is alot tougher to learn and stay good at, that alone is enough of a reason to own one. E
I too have fallen victim to getting more excited by the bigger bores over the years and neglecting to add a quality 22rf or two. I plan to rectify that sooner than later.

Let's face it, to master the handgun you have to do that by a large quantity of quality practice with a mild recoiling gun. Even if you have a lifetime supply of lead and can ignore the cost of lead and brass as well, the classic 38 sp target load of a 148gr wadcutter and 2.7gr of bullseye is $45/1000, vs $40/1000-1100 for bulk 22rf ammo. A good 22rf handgun will shoot federal bulk into 1" at 25 yds.

So I'd highly recomend either the 617 or ruger sp-101 22rf.

Leo

Hell yes it does...Does one even need to ask the question???
Not every shooter has an 'arsenal', but if one does ...

Any arsenal would be incomplete without a .22 lr handgun.

(IMO)
A .22lr pistol is a great place to spend more than you normally would for a handgun. The real quality 22's are a joy to shoot and are very valuable learning tools.

One of my projects this year was to accumulate more 22lr revolvers so I could build my DA shooting skills. It's been a good year:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
k22. don't leave home without it.
I love my Colt Woodsman. Wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. I used to have a K22 with the 8" barrel. It shot like crazy but I just couldn't handle that long barrel.
I would love a 4 inch 617 but I have never seen one at the local dealer. Just might have to settle for the 6" one of these days.
Get the 617 and a good .22 pistol, like a Ruger MK(1,2 or3) or a Browning Buckmark. A single six is nice too. .22s are great to have around, IMO.

Ernie
Yep,

Get yourself a good 22 handgun! If you really want to be a great handgun shot, the 22 LR is THE way to learn.

Myself, I own more 22 handguns than all others combined.

Virgil B.
IMO - a 22lr handgun should be be the 1st spot in your arsenal!
If you like autos, try the new Ruger SR-22. Mine has yet to jam after 500 rounds without cleaning & is pretty doggone accurate. If you all ready own a 1911, the Kimber .22 lr Conversion kits work really well, but you can throw in a litte more money & buy the Ruger SR-22 or a used Ruger MkII.

If you like revolvers, it's awfully hard to beat a Ruger Single Six. You couldn't wear one of those out in a gazillion years.

I've got four .22 lr pistoles & I'm all ready considering getting one of the new Ruger MkIII's in the new ultralight version with the aluminum slide & polymer receiver. It comes with a factory threaded barrel & ought to be a lot of fun for a fully suppressed plinker. Anyone out there tried one yet? They are still pretty hard to get, my FFL Dealer says, but I'm starting to see them pop up for sale on Gunbroker...
Hello
Everyone should have at least one .22 revolver in their collection. That said what better choice than the S&W K-22. D. B. Wesson sure got it right on way back in 1931 when he sent the Target shooter's on their Ear with his new Creation the K-22 Outdoorsman model. He was no stranger to Marketing that is why he named the first series K-22 The Outdoorsman. He did make one small mistake though... He was in such a hurry to market his new K-22 that had his Invention of a recessed cylinder, that he did not Patent his idea of recessing the gun's cylinder. The reason he came up with the recessed cylinder was back in the 1930 time frame Winchester & Remington had just come out with new High speed .22 ammo. The case heads were rupturing due to their copper material shell casing and the new improved velocity had much more pressure than the previous made standard .22 ammo. His Case Invention of the recess in the cylinder's Encompassed the cartridge head's eliminating this case head rupture issue & it was one of the most copied idea's as most manufacturer's used this after they saw his idea worked very well. Through the year's the K-22 got some changes as a barrel rib, Larger Micro click style sights and a short cocking action to provide faster lock up time'a, but the gun lived on to be one of the best selling, most loved revolver's that S&W ever offered. During World War II Many letter's were sent to S&W from Serious Target shooter's on how to improve their K-22 as all Civilian Gun production was ceased for the War effort, so when they resumed Civilian Gun production in 1946 S&W announced that they now had the K-22 Target Masterpiece ready for it's gun hungry public. The early Post-War K-22's had the thin Barrel rib placed on them as it made the revolver's weigh the same as it's cousin counter Parts being the K-32 & K-38 Masterpiece's. The shooter's of these earlier K-22's suggested that S&W make the Masterpiece Trio weigh exactly the same so the easiest way to do this was to add a barrel rib. The shooting public responded with flooding order's for the new K-22 Masterpiece, and the rest is history. I myself prefer the earlier K-22's as my Two examples shown below of the first Variation being the K-22 Outdoorsman made from 1931-1939 Mine is a 1936 and my Early second year Post-War Transitional Model being the Masterpiece made in 1947... Long Live the K-22... and Yes, I do shoot them both as well as I do the completed Masterpiece series Trio being the K-22, The K-32 & The K-38 shown below my K-22's TheGeneral

The First Variation K-22 Outdoorsman Circa 1936, shown with it's original serial number Factory service stock's, Red Picture box, Paperwork, & Tool's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Early Post-War K-22 Masterpiece. This revolver has the earlier Pre-War style Mushroom shaped cylinder extractor end making it a Transitional revolver. It is shown with it's original Factory serial numbered Magna stocks on it in this picture

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1947_K-22_2.jpg[/img]

Here is my 1947 K-22 Transitional revolver shown with it's original box, Paperwork and tools with a set of Factory diamond Target stock's added to it.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Picture_0292.jpg[/img]

The Post-War Masterpiece Trio of revolver's being the K-22, K-32 & K-38 shown with their original Boxes, Paperwork and tools

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/The_S_W_K-Frame_Target_Masterpiece_Trio_002.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/The_S_W_K-Frame_Target_Masterpiece_Trio_003.jpg[/img]

But, them'uns are just for looking at...... too purty to shoot
Originally Posted by huntsman22
But, them'uns are just for looking at...... too purty to shoot

Hello Huntsman22
They are nice looking examples but I Have No Safe Queen's in my collection they all get shot as the picture's below show... wink TheGeneral

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not only purty, but accurate, too. Hurry, wipe off my drool.....

Leo

Leo�my bro-tha!!
So not only should you add a .22 to your battery, but I think you�re just an incomplete handgunner until you do. And quite honestly, a very good .22 is (if used properly) an essential tool to becoming a better handgunner; and we ALL can use more work on our shooting. My mantra is that you should not only own a .22, but it should be an excellent quality .22.
Your question is specifically around the 617, so I have addressed this question SPECIFICALLY in a short article: http://shootersjournal.net/dropping-big-coin-on-a-k-22-revolver/
Kevin, Thank you for the link. Good article!

I think a quality 22lr handgun makes a good understudy gun to your main centerfire,especially as it's so cheap and affordable to practice.

As a woods gun I believe a good medium frame 357mag trumps a 22lr hands down due to its versatility: 38spec wadcutters for walking the trapline, 38spec swc for small game, 38spec+P hollow point for selfdesnse both two legged and most four legged critters that I'd be likely to encounter in south western pennsylvania, and 357mag 158gr jsp for the bigger 4legged critter.

I already have about 1,500-2,000 rounds through my GP100 and I'm getting pretty darn good with it, both single action and double action which time some dedicate practice to get that way. I'm also practice one-handed double action and just starting to get confident in that and will start doing weakhand one hand double action shoot.

But I agree with all that was said about a 22lr, it deserves a spot which I need to fill.

Since I find myself gravitating towards DA revolvers, so I think a 4" barrel S&W 617 will fit the bill perfectly. Darn things are pricey, found new one locally for $717...ouch!

Leo

My 4" 617 with the full underlug barrel balances almost the same as my 4" GP100 with the full underlug barrel. It goes to the range every time my GP100 does. They're pricey, but worth it.
BTW, I have nothing against semiauto 22lr pistols but pennsylvania doesn't allow semiauto rifles or handguns to hunt with which is more forte/usage.

The only semiauto firearm allowed to hunt with in pennsylvania is shotguns. Unfortunately being a southaw eliminates alot of fireams from consideration.

Also pennsylvania considers a firearm loaded if magazine if loaded but chamber empty thus illegal to transport in vehicle.
Smith & Wesson Model 45, thank you very much.
What's a Model 45?
I have a Ruger MK and really want a double action revolver to go with it.

Necessary, no. But as stated a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport.
General, im jealous!!
If a .22 didn't deserve a spot in my sage, I wouldn't have a bunch of 'em. Is that a double negative?
I think I have ten 22 handguns. Here's a Model 18-4 that is a pretty good choice for most uses.
[Linked Image]

And here's a nice semi-auto. A Beretta Cheetah.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by UPhiker
What's a Model 45?
A .22 caliber Military & Police -- the only K frame .22 produced without target sights.
I have my Dad's Woodsman, a Colt Buntline Scout, a Ruger MKIII 22/45, and 2 Ruger Single six's. I hope to never be without my 22's. The Grandkids can run through a brick in one session.
To keep sharp, shoot more & do it cheaply, I shoot a 22 handgun more that any other single gun.

Mine is a Hi-Standard Trophy from my competition days.

MM
I used to have three. Now I have none and am planning on getting a Ruger Mk II ASAP. I don't like being without a .22LR handgun.
About 40 years ago, I got a S&W 18 .22 Combat Masterpiece as an understudy for a S&W 19 Combat Masterpiece and set up both 4" revolvers with the same Herrett(?) grips. I've never been a great shot with a handgun, but think that having an understudy in .22 is pretty important if you want to become a competent handgun shot with either a revolver or a pistol.

I have a 6", 6-shot, S&W 617, but have never cared for it because of the weight. I'd sure like to see S&W make a stainless .22 revolver clone of the 18 and 48 with both 4" and 6" barrels.

Jeff
I bought my father a new Buckmark Camper for Christmas. The darn thing continues to jam on ejection of spent casings. Have tried different ammo, different magazines and taken it back to the shop. They finally sent it back to Browning. Came back last week - still jams. So, they gave me the money back, but now I still need to get him a .22 handgun. Maybe the Taurus Tracker that has a cylinder for .22 LR and .22 mag? I like that the Ruger MkIII is tapped to add a optic to it. He is 67 and that might help his shooting.
Originally Posted by duckster
I bought my father a new Buckmark Camper for Christmas. The darn thing continues to jam on ejection of spent casings. Have tried different ammo, different magazines and taken it back to the shop. They finally sent it back to Browning. Came back last week - still jams. So, they gave me the money back, but now I still need to get him a .22 handgun. Maybe the Taurus Tracker that has a cylinder for .22 LR and .22 mag? I like that the Ruger MkIII is tapped to add a optic to it. He is 67 and that might help his shooting.

Nothing wrong with the taurus 22, unless you buy it new and go to resell. They don't sell for beans around here. Your best bet for a semi is a ruger mkII. Revolvers your best bet is a smith or a ruger. My advise is don't buy a gun(even if it will serve your purpose) that you can't get rid of if you need to
I am so suprised that differnt ammo didn't "cure" your Buckmark.
They are notorious for being ammo sensitive.
My wife's will only fire Blazer std vol. 50 rnd box.
But then it puts them inside the 10 ring all day long!

I had to buy a M 41 to best her! And then it takes snake eyed concentration!
I tried about 5 different loads in the Buckmark, I was surprised too, as I have a older Buckmark that has always gone "bang" with about any ammo.
Gosh, this seems a fairly silly question.

I've accumulated the following over the years, and have used all extensively for target shooting, plinking and small game.

S & W model 41 for targets

Ruger Single Six for plinking (gave to a son)

Freedom Arms Model 97 22LR/22mag, plinking, small game and general field carry gun.

.22 Conversion for SIG P210, just to say I had it.

Colt SA in .22LR. Great fun gun. (Gave to another son)

Ruger Mk I semi auto in .22LR target model (Gave to still another son)

These guns have been shot a lot, and have been teaching devices for all my children until they could "graduate" to centerfires on their own.

But even though "graduated" they still see more use than alost all my other guns combined.
I simply cannot imagine being without a .22 handgun. It uses the cheapest, most available ammo on the planet, so it's inexpensive to practice with. More practice means more fun, which is the point to begin with. I own a DA revolver, a SA revolver, and two semiautos. Not ready to part with any of them.
Exactly...I can't imagine not having a .22 handgun.I have several and it has one thing the other handguns I own don't...Stealth if needed.

Jayco
Yup....I love my Ruger Single Six with 9.5 inch barrel....always goes with me out in the boonies...
Originally Posted by Oregon45

................ It's been a good year:

[Linked Image]

I gots to get me one of them......

© 24hourcampfire