Home
Posted By: Paul39 Best Powder Measure? - 08/19/12
This has probably been discussed before, but I am interested from two perspectives in what is considered the best measure for small charges of pistol powders.

First, without regard for cost, which is the best?

Next, which is best taking into account value?

Paul
Posted By: deflave Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Define "small".

Travis
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
3 to 7 grains.

Paul
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Redding 3BR with the small charge insert installed.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
I am not sure what your criterion for "best" is, but I use an RCBS with a small drum for most of my handgun loading. It is very repeatable and quite consistent, and that is good enough for me. As long as it throws the charge I want and can be returned to that setting easily, I don't really know how it could be any better.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Originally Posted by Notropis
I am not sure what your criterion for "best" is, but I use an RCBS with a small drum for most of my handgun loading. It is very repeatable and quite consistent, and that is good enough for me. As long as it throws the charge I want and can be returned to that setting easily, I don't really know how it could be any better.

Accurate - consistent charge-to-charge, and preferably with a variety of powder types.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Best Powder Measure? - 08/19/12
That's easy. Dillon, same powder measure that every shooter in the Bianchi Cup uses to load ammo for no-schit 3moa 1911's.
The Dillon has impressed me, throws consistent charges even when the powder level gets really low.
Posted By: Hound_va Re: Best Powder Measure? - 08/19/12
Harrell's Pistol Measure.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Notropis

Accurate - consistent charge-to-charge, and preferably with a variety of powder types.

The OP also included the cost/value factor into his search for the "best" measure. I am not sure how much weight he gives value compared to accuracy/consistency. If he is a serious competitor, he would probably be willing to pay for a very high level of consistency. If he is a recreational shooter and casual competitor, good consistency would be good enough for a lower price.

I would suggest that the OP should decide what is most important. I would also suggest that the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Originally Posted by Paul39
3 to 7 grains.

Paul

I use the Redding #3 with universal chamber.

Works great.

Travis
Posted By: greatscott Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
RCBS little dandy.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/19/12
Almost any ones of the listed , Harrell, Dillon, RCBs, can be more accurate than the others provided you are more consistent with it than the others.

I've got both a Harrell and a Dillon with the microtech upgrade, if you are reloading volumes the dillon on top a dillon progressive is hard to beat.
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Best PowderMeasure? - 08/20/12
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Redding 3BR with the small charge insert installed.

+1 Love mine, it's more consistent than my Dillion when throwing 800-X.
© 24hourcampfire