Home
Checked one out the other day and liked what I saw. It is a nice sized package for a 9mm carry gun; small but allows a full grip. It is light, the sights are decent and it is not expensive. Any experience or reviews? Accuracy? Reliability? My FIL has a Taurus 709 that shoots well for me. My concern is that you hear such a wide range of opinions and views on them. Any experience based comments are welcome.

Expat
bump
The shop I frequent has more problems-failures-dissatisfied customers with Taurus handguns than any other brand they sell. However if you you don't plan on shooting it I am sure it will be fine they do look nice. Or you may get lucky, I am sure that some percentage of the guns they make are ok. Sorry but I have no first hand experience with them as I steer clear of things when people I have known for 20 years tell me to consider something else. They are less expensive, they are a good marketing company, they look good, they have been innovative with the raging whatever series, but the innards are suspect.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The shop I frequent has more problems-failures-dissatisfied customers with Taurus handguns than any other brand they sell. However if you you don't plan on shooting it I am sure it will be fine they do look nice. Or you may get lucky, I am sure that some percentage of the guns they make are ok. Sorry but I have no first hand experience with them as I steer clear of things when people I have known for 20 years tell me to consider something else. They are less expensive, they are a good marketing company, they look good, they have been innovative with the raging whatever series, but the innards are suspect.
That about covers it.
Should be able to get a Cz82 for less.
Many thanks, all!
I have a PT111 Millenium Pro that my Dad gave me when he stopped carrying a pistol. it has never jammed in several hundred rounds of ball and jhp 9mm ammo. It is no Glock, but I think Taurus gets a bad rap undeservedly. YMMV

Ron
My Brother in Law has the Millenium Pro 9mm. He needed a carry gun that was still comfortable to shoot a lot for not a ton of money. I have to say I'm not a Taurus fan, but I have shot that gun a lot, and it has yet to hiccup. Accuracy is on par with a Glocks, and it has great sights.(Heinies). If I needed a budget 9, I could go with one.
Third gen. PT111 is a tough, well-made, and very reliable pistol.
It has good safety features and second strike capability.

Downsides are: peculiar sights which may need to be altered to hit your point of aim;
expensive mags and lack of aftermarket accesories; and
odd trigger pull which takes practice to get tight groups.

If you like the 709, don't be afraid to buy a PT111 as the're almost the same pistol.
Got a new Taurus PT111 9mm Millennium about ten years ago.
I do not see the word - PRO - on the gun. After ten years its a
very reliable pistol. Never jammed or FTF. Got my Taurus for $300
and the dealer included two extra Mec-gar mags.
I guess they upgraded it and added the word PRO. As the sight on mine
are they very basic 3 dot type. I'm happy with it.
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I have a PT111 Millenium Pro that my Dad gave me when he stopped carrying a pistol. it has never jammed in several hundred rounds of ball and jhp 9mm ammo. It is no Glock, but I think Taurus gets a bad rap undeservedly. YMMV

Ron

I bought this same pistol for my wife. I have perhaps 1000+ rounds through it and it has never jammed. The load that I shoot is 7.8g of AA#7 with a 124g What ever. This pistol is super accurate with this load with the Speer Gold dot being the most accurate bullet that I have shot.

Taurus has extremely good customer service. The 9mm was so accurate and functioned flawless, that I bought the upgraded version of the 45 ACP. I had problems with it. Taurus had FEd Ex pick it up, and I had the pistol back in 3 weeks, and it is has never jammed since.

Just a note, that my wife shot the 9mm so well that I sold the Smith Stainess model 60 38 Special.
Got a new Taurus PT111 9mm Millennium about ten years ago.
I do not see the word - PRO - on the gun. After ten years its a
very reliable pistol. Never jammed or FTF. Got my Taurus for $300
and the dealer included two extra Mec-gar mags.
I guess they upgraded it and added the word PRO. As the sight on mine
are they very basic 3 dot type. I'm happy with it.

I also had a Taurus PT140 Millennium about 8 or more years ago. I don't remember seeing the word, "Pro" on it either. I probably only put a couple hundred rounds, at most, through it, and had no problems.
I looked on Gunbroker just to get a price on the Taurus PT111.
Lots of used PT111 for sale and the range is $300 - $350
Originally Posted by Hotload
I looked on Gunbroker just to get a price on the Taurus PT111.
Lots of used PT111 for sale and the range is $300 - $350
Too much money. We sell new ones for $410.
© 24hourcampfire