Home
Posted By: viking Thoughts on Rock Island Armory? - 09/09/12
I was thinking of the 9mm/22tcm model in particular. How is RIAs quality?
Here we go...
Originally Posted by viking
PM Bricktop, he's a big fan and can tell you all about RIA.
For being made of chocolate they aren't bad. cool
I like em, and rarely see one for repair.
I know of a number of people who are happy with the ones that they have.

I would't know ... but Google says *GOOD*.
I have the tac in 45acp. It's a keeper. It's a workhorse. It runs smoothly, came with a very good trigger, the accuracy is quite good (prolly better than I can shoot) and I don't know what's not to like, especially at the RIA price point. I trust mine as a carry weapon.
Mine works quite well. It needs a little work, but it is certainly a good pistol.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by viking
PM Bricktop, he's a big fan and can tell you all about RIA.

Dat's mean... grin
I would stay away. I have been told that when heated above 1750 F and improperly quenched they can get soft. crazy

Other than that I like the one that has lived on my hip almost every day for over a year. It has yet to fail me except at this years pin shoot when it refused to hit the pins I was pointing it near. blush
Do you have popcorn and pop ready? grin
...PM Bricktop, he's a big fan and can tell you all about RIA.

Mark....mentioning his name is alittle like a summons to begin a seance...kind of like an unremissive herpes cycle, he'll pop up soon enough. :-)
I only have a finite amount of time in my day to do low-class things. Discussing the "merits" of pot metal falls behind watching "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo."
It's heeeeeeere!!!! grin
I ordered a sig 2022.....
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I only have a finite amount of time in my day to do low-class things. Discussing the "merits" of pot metal falls behind watching "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo."
No doubt. We all figured you were in your mom's basement doing just that.
I'm in your mom's.
I'm in your mom's.
lol That's not what your girlfriend told me.
I'm in your mom's.
lol That's not what your girlfriend told me.
As long as you show her a good time.
I concede you the win on this one.
I prefer RRA to RIA. Too bad they don't make them any more. grin

Here's mine:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now go back and look at the RIA and see if you can tell any difference.

No offense, but that's apples to oranges. The RIA is a low end pistol that you might term, entry-level. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a Colt. From what I remember of them, RRA was a fairly high end manufacturer and they charged commensurately. You generally can get a RIA for less than $500 whereas the RRA were all above a grand, unless I'm mistaken. The RRA are made here too.
Viking, pay no attention to Bricktop. He had an idiot weld on a RIA slide and then comment that it seemed a little soft when he tried to machine it. Bricktop refuses to look at any facts that welding on a heat treated piece of steel will take the affected steel above the critical temperature of 1750 and if not re heat treated the steel could be anything. From that one comment from the idiot doing the welding he has been on his stupid soapbox shouting profanity and insults but saying nothing worth reading.

My RIA has functioned flawlessly for almost two years of heavy use and has lived on my hip almost every day.
Originally Posted by Scott F
From that one comment from the idiot doing the welding he has been on his stupid soapbox shouting profanity and insults but saying nothing worth reading.

C'mon Scott.....give the guy some credit. He's been on a soap box shouting profanity and saying nothing worth reading LONG before RIA ever came up! wink
My RIA has functioned flawlessly for almost two years of heavy use and has lived on my hip almost every day.
I don't see how you've had much time to commit to any "heavy use" of anything outside of pissing and moaning about your sadsack life and horseshit VA troubles. Take some more lithium and shut the f*ck up, whiner.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
From that one comment from the idiot doing the welding he has been on his stupid soapbox shouting profanity and insults but saying nothing worth reading.
C'mon Scott.....give the guy some credit. He's been on a soap box shouting profanity and saying nothing worth reading LONG before RIA ever came up! wink
You still have a case of the red ass after I told you to go pound sand when you were trying to buy the LCP I was selling two years ago. (No, you don't gain a discount by making it a "FTF" transaction, dumbass.) Yours is a typical deadbeat/sour grapes response. I expected nothing less.
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Must take some serious stupidity to keep posting to someone smart enough to put your foul ass on ignore.
Must take some serious stupidity to keep posting to someone smart enough to put your foul ass on ignore.
Must take some serious insecurity to have to announce that.
laugh laugh laugh
I have still yet to hear why you say RIA uses inferior steel. You stated Clark won't work on them, and a simple phone call to Clark has proven that wrong. So how do you figure?
Are they softer than a USGI 1911 or harder?
My first two 1911's were RIA's one 45 one 9mm both functioned well and were used in IDPA.The only reason they were sold was I
liked the platform so much I replaced them with higher end guns.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I have still yet to hear why you say RIA uses inferior steel. You stated Clark won't work on them, and a simple phone call to Clark has proven that wrong. So how do you figure?
Are they softer than a USGI 1911 or harder?

He just states his mad up lies as facts and curses at us to prove his crap. No real facts enter into his arguments only foul language and insults. I no longer read what he writes but can pretty well guess accurately.

Just as long as the OP knows BT is just spewing and the truth lays far from his posts everything will be OK.
The reason that RIA pistols are so bad is that they are as soft as chocolate butter and do not hold up to heat treating. Have you ever tried to heat treat chocolate butter? It ain't easy I can tell you. grin

+2 wink

Poor fella that Bricktop - I hope he finds someone to argue with SOON so he doesn't dry up and blow away...... laugh
Don't know why you all just don't blow Bricktop off. Obviously he's really only interested in redirecting things off topic and onto himself. This thread started out about Rock Island .45s and yet again managed to drift back onto his ego - now I'll wait for the response!
My only reason for responding to him is so that the original poster knows BT is just full of hot air and really knows nothing about RIAs. I own one, I know what they will do. Mine is NOT soft and mine has yet failed to function in any way.
Originally Posted by S99VG
Don't know why you all just don't blow Bricktop off. Obviously he's really only interested in redirecting things off topic and onto himself. This thread started out about Rock Island .45s and yet again managed to drift back onto his ego - now I'll wait for the response!
You ought to focus your efforts on reading comprehension. The general focus of this thread from the second post onward has been to drive the discussion to me and away from the actual topic. You all have obviously spent a great deal of time thinking about me, certainly more than I have of you.

More and more of these "discussions" in which I find myself are with people unfit to wipe my ass or empty the trash in my reloading room. There are reloading discussions where one or more of the antagonists make subsequent posts indicating they've never handloaded handgun ammunition or even handloaded. Or discussions regarding bolt action rifles and the various decedents later express astonishment that Winchester made push-feed 7x57mms or whatever. Or handgun discussions where self-appointed "experts" subsequently reveal that they never knew Ruger or whomever made or makes a revolver in such-and-such configuration or chambering.

Why in the f*ck am I wasting an hour or even a minute of my precious time discussing any-f*cking-thing with anyone like that? I would never associate with morons like that outside of an internet message board, because morons like that wouldn't be permitted the opportunity to utter a single word in public. That's called reality: get some.

You ladies may, therefore, continue to wander in the wilderness and discuss the relative "merits" of your [bleep] items while sniffing each others' cornholes.
Always go fishing with good bait!
Originally Posted by S99VG
You ought to focus your efforts on reading comprehension. The general focus of this thread from the second post onward has been to drive the discussion to me and away from the actual topic. You all have obviously spent a great deal of time thinking about me, certainly more than I have of you.

More and more of these "discussions" in which I find myself are with people unfit to wipe my ass or empty the trash in my reloading room. There are reloading discussions where one or more of the antagonists make subsequent posts indicating they've never handloaded handgun ammunition or even handloaded. Or discussions regarding bolt action rifles and the various decedents later express astonishment that Winchester made push-feed 7x57mms or whatever. Or handgun discussions where self-appointed "experts" subsequently reveal that they never knew Ruger or whomever made or makes a revolver in such-and-such configuration or chambering.

Why in the f*ck am I wasting an hour or even a minute of my precious time discussing any-f*cking-thing with anyone like that? I would never associate with morons like that outside of an internet message board, because morons like that wouldn't be permitted the opportunity to utter a single word in public. That's called reality: get some.

You ladies may, therefore, continue to wander in the wilderness and discuss the relative "merits" of your [bleep] items while sniffing each others' cornholes.

laugh laugh laugh
Does that mean he's leaving? That would break my friggin heart.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Does that mean he's leaving? That would break my friggin heart.

....herpes is forever........or so I'm told.

LMFAO!!!
Since you went and quoted him I read his drivel and had a great laugh. Take his reloading comment, I have probable been reloading since before he was born. I started teaching my self to load for my 303 Enfield and my 03A3 in my basement around 1963. Loaded shotgun shells in Hawaii with a Lee hand kit in 1969 - 1970. I made my first set of reloading dies in the Optical shop of the USS Grand Canyon for loading 357 in 1972. The dies looked like pieces of scrap metal that blended in to the shop decor during the day and came out at night to load on duty nights. Used a bench mounted drill press for the press. Currently have home made hand dies and a home made press sitting on my reloading bench today. The last set of home made hand dies and press were for 50 BMG and were given to a friend in Oregon.

But in spite of that, nobody but Mr. Bricktop can know anything about anything.

Buy the RIA and shoot the hell out of it. You won't need Clark to fix it for you because it will work flawlessly out of the box. Bricktop is full of more $hit that an overflowing outhouse.
Originally Posted by Deer Turd

LMFAO!!!
+1 laugh
Since you went and quoted him I read his drivel and had a great laugh.
As do I as I read your great tales of expansive bullshit and other sagas. Like pissing and moaning with the VA.

Take his reloading comment, I have probable been reloading since before he was born. I started teaching my self to load for my 303 Enfield and my 03A3 in my basement around 1963. Loaded shotgun shells in Hawaii with a Lee hand kit in 1969 - 1970. I made my first set of reloading dies in the Optical shop of the USS Grand Canyon for loading 357 in 1972. The dies looked like pieces of scrap metal that blended in to the shop decor during the day and came out at night to load on duty nights. Used a bench mounted drill press for the press. Currently have home made hand dies and a home made press sitting on my reloading bench today. The last set of home made hand dies and press were for 50 BMG and were given to a friend in Oregon.
It's your story, tell it however you wish. If you tell it long enough, you'll forget where the truth ends and the bullshit begins. That seems to be a common denominator.

But in spite of that, nobody but Mr. Bricktop can know anything about anything.
The same can and has been said of you, Little Miss Kevin, and the other usual suspects. Hell, Little Miss Kevin is such a sought-after "gunsmith" he's making a living picking peanuts out of poop in Arkansas. That's quite a career arc. Especially for someone with the nuts to criticize bona fide gunsmiths. The question still hasn't been answered, if Little Miss Kevin is such a sought-after pistol "smith," why hasn't some top-flight outfit like Ed Brown, Night Hawk, etc. snapped him up? (The answer seems obvious to me.)

Buy the RIA and shoot the hell out of it. You won't need Clark to fix it for you because it will work flawlessly out of the box.
Sure it will. It's your bullshit story and if you post it on the internet enough and with enough "force," that's close enough to fact.

Bricktop is full of more $hit that an overflowing outhouse.
I'm working towards the bar you've set.

Some people are slow and others seem really stupid!
Some people are slow and others seem really stupid!
And you're making great strides in admitting your faults, gimp.
No offense, but that's apples to oranges. The RIA is a low end pistol that you might term, entry-level. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a Colt. From what I remember of them, RRA was a fairly high end manufacturer and they charged commensurately. You generally can get a RIA for less than $500 whereas the RRA were all above a grand, unless I'm mistaken. The RRA are made here too.

You're close.....just sold it for 2 grand. Here's a nice bevy of quality pistols. Buy quality once! And the value of quality actually appreciates.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Buy quality once! And the value of quality actually appreciates.
You're preaching to the deaf and dumb. These rubes will never, ever, ever, ever grasp that.
I am a firm believer in quality but there is no way I could ever afford a two thousand dollar 1911. Just a quick question, do you use one of those beauties for every day carry?
I am a firm believer in quality but there is no way I could ever afford a two thousand dollar 1911. Just a quick question, do you use one of those beauties for every day carry?

I don't.....But I would. Have an Ed Brown Ltwt Kobra Carry for that duty and it laughs in the face of $2K but well worth every penny. The Ed Brown Ltwt's are sweet guns. They have the steel ramp insert, etc. etc. etc. BUY QUALITY ONCE!

[Linked Image]
If I could afford it I would but that kind of money just is not in my future so I bought the RIA I could afford and it lives on my hip. It is a tool not a showpiece but it is a tool that works every time I use it.
I know. Nothing wrong with RIA. I've been buying and selling and upgrading for 30 years. I guess you could call me "mature". Haha.
I know the feeling. Been enjoying the heck out of retirement.

You're close.....just sold it for 2 grand. Here's a nice bevy of quality pistols. Buy quality once! And the value of quality actually appreciates.

[Linked Image]
"Above a grand" wasn't even a ballpark figure that I would've provided had I had to guess and not use any resources to come up with that guess. It literally just meant, "above a thousand dollars", which I was correct on. There is nothing wrong with the Rock River that I'm aware of, I just never was in the market for one as my tastes run differently. I would have guesstimated that a more exact figure for a Rock River would have been $1600 for a starting point. If they have went out of business or if yours isn't their base model, I would think $2k would be about right.
Buy quality once! And the value of quality actually appreciates.

[Linked Image]

The flaw in your statement is you bought quality at least five times. wink

As for RIA, "quality" is not a word I would use to describe them and it's not an element RIA is striving for. They're inexpensive, the customer is generally satisfied, and life goes on. The only thing that approaches the irrational level of RIA critics is the irrational level of RIA defenders.
Originally Posted by JOG
[quote=257heaven]... The only thing that approaches the irrational level of RIA critics is the irrational level of RIA defenders.

....pretty much identical to Glocks then, huh??? laugh
...But in spite of that, nobody but Mr. Bricktop can know anything about anything.

...you know, it's ashame on a number of levels as Bricktop really DOES know alot about alot of stuff-----unfortunately he poisons his own well of knowledge in his expression of it. While I don't personally share his + opinion of Rugers---I find alot of his opinions to be spot on with alot of mine----he obviously wasn't valedictorian of his class at Dale Carnegie----he would be a good case study in the self-implosive nature of hubris or insecurity or whatever causes his bi-polar-esque outbursts. Probably should be pitied more than despised but that's easier said than done, I guess.

Yes. In fact, on another forum I belong to many of the police carry a Wilson combat of some type for every day carry.

With your back ground as a machinist you could build your very own $3,000 custom 1911 on the cheap. If I had the ability and access to a machine shop I would build my own 1911 as I have my own idea of what a custom 1911 should look like and be.
I carried this for duty for many moons, never mind it only cost my Dad $56.50 when he bought it new in 1952. Guns are tools and you should carry the best you can afford be it a RIA or exotic custom worth mucho dinero. As long as it gets the job done, bottom line, that is all that matters. I was damn lucky my Dad saw fit to gift me the Colt, I could not have afforded it at the time and would have still been carrying the hand me down 4" Colt Cobra .38.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by derby_dude

With your back ground as a machinist you could build your very own $3,000 custom 1911 on the cheap. If I had the ability and access to a machine shop I would build my own 1911 as I have my own idea of what a custom 1911 should look like and be.

I could afford several top 1911s for what it would cost me to build a machine shop. If I still had access I would give it a spin. I have done a whole lot more complicated work that a 1911. Then I would build a left handed slide and see how fast they sold.
But even if I built them out of solid gold Bricktop would call it crap because his will always be better.
But even if I built them out of solid gold Bricktop would call it crap because his will always be better.

laugh
Originally Posted by T LEE
I carried this for duty for many moons, never mind it only cost my Dad $56.50 when he bought it new in 1952. Guns are tools and you should carry the best you can afford be it a RIA or exotic custom worth mucho dinero. As long as it gets the job done, bottom line, that is all that matters. I was damn lucky my Dad saw fit to gift me the Colt, I could not have afforded it at the time and would have still been carrying the hand me down 4" Colt Cobra .38.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

That is a real nice carry gun.
If I were a police officer of the desk, undercover, or detective species and the department allowed me to carry what I want, I would carry this:

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-bill-wilson-carry.asp
I would still be carrying the .38 Super Commander!
I would still be carrying the .38 Super Commander!

.45ACP

.38 Super

.45ACP

.38 Super

grin

Wilson has some compact 1911's in .38 Super so somebody agrees with you. smile
I have a .45 steel framed Commander as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a .45 steel framed Commander as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice looking and the right caliber to. smile
Dudes u can stop. I got a sig 9mm 2022
Sorry to hear that.
So the truth about schitt top finely comes out? After his first post in this thread I knew it. He is Sugar Bear and Honey BooBoo is his bastid child. Right now he's snarling down his nose at ya'll, while cutting coupons with that fat nasty ass ol lady.
© 24hourcampfire