Home
Forward cant or neutral cant, for a holster to be used in the field. ie packing around a 44 mag Ruger single action in the field. Advantages to one over the other?
I prefer the FBI cant no matter if it's for a revolver or semi-auto. I have a Sparks 200AW for a 4" N-frame with a straight drop, and it's fine. But FBI cant is easier to draw for me.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I prefer the FBI cant no matter if it's for a revolver or semi-auto. I have a Sparks 200AW for a 4" N-frame with a straight drop, and it's fine. But FBI cant is easier to draw for me.

You should rename yourself "chickenwing". Draw from your goofy FBI cant holster in front of a mirror and you'll understand. You also ain't very fast on the draw.
For a field holster when carrying a long gun, I prefer cross-draw. Otherwise I like a forward cant on a concealed gun, neutral on an exposed one.
I prefer a strong side straight drop for the field.
Originally Posted by tominboise
Forward cant or neutral cant, for a holster to be used in the field. ie packing around a 44 mag Ruger single action in the field. Advantages to one over the other?
Forward cant for 5" or less. Straight drop for over 5".
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You should rename yourself "chickenwing". Draw from your goofy FBI cant holster in front of a mirror and you'll understand. You also ain't very fast on the draw.

While TAK didn't sugar coat things much in his delivery, he's also correct. The ONLY practical reason I see for an "FBI" cant, is concealing a handgun that's too large to conceal well with a straight drop due to the handgun's grip poking out the back of the wearer's clothing.

I MUCH prefer a straight drop, and detest the chicken wing draw (and mandatory forward lean), but I do have a "pancake" holster with a strong forward cant that hides a Glock 21 crazy well. It's a conscious trade-off for concealment's sake. While on the subject, it's a Kramer Belt Scabbard in horse. For field use, or while concealing anything smaller than that huge chunk of a pistol, I'll go straight drop. A second exception is when carrying IWB, behind the my right hip (at around 3:30-4:00). A slight cant is helpful there since the gun isn't lined up right on my hip.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Where are the Montana pics.........dikhead? Hopefully one day you'll shoot yourself in the mirror, purty boy.

I assume the OP's Ruger SA .44 has a 7 1/2" barrel. I hate carrying long barreled revolvers on the strong side due to the awkward drawstroke, especially when wearing a coat. A crossdraw holster works much better for me, giving easy access to the revolver with no interference with a long gun if I'm carrying one. So I vote for a neutral cant holster that can work as a crossdraw.
Thanks for the replies. For the record, the pistol is a 5-1/2" super blackhawk.
Straight drop for that one.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Straight drop for that one.
For that revolver - I would tend to fully agree..

All my revolvers are straight drop. Fully half of my semi-autos are straight drop.. Only three with forward cant and yes, the 'chickenwing' thing is a valid point, but man - they really hide things well..

I've been considering a cross-draw of some kind. I like the idea but at the same time they can be truly uncomfy when sitting down.. It all boils down to body shape/size, firearm to be used and who makes the holster.. smile
Tom,
I just ordered a pair of Tom Threepersons holsters (and a belt) from EPS for my Flattop .44spls. For the 4 5/8" plow handle I ordered a straight drop (neutral cant), but for the 5.5" Bisley I ordered the standard (for EPS) forward cant. It was another compromise, but I went with the cant for the Bisley because I envision sometimes carrying it on my pants belt behind my hip and under my coat while carrying a rifle. I'll eventually order a 200AW for that purpose, but for now the new holsters need to get things done, and some forward cant increases the versatility a little. When worn right on the hip the draw does feel wrong to me, and works best if worn at 4-4:30. I've already got the same setup for a larger .45 Bisley Vaquero, so I knew what I was ordering this time and did it anyway. Hope this doesn't confuse you more. smile
Forward cant or cross draw is the only way to go for me as I have a very short torso and short arms. The only neutral cant that works would be a drop loop Hollywood western holster. I might be able to get by with a neutral cant holster for the 1911 if the holster is not worn to high. Size of person does matter.
© 24hourcampfire