Home
Posted By: kend Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
Is there any of this stuff around? I traded for a Kimber that was dirty as heck and after scrubbing the bore for a long time came to realize it had a lot of fine pitting. The rest of the gun cleaned up very nicely and there was no rust anywhere. Any other ideas what may have caused this because I don't know. Ken
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
a few years ago quite a bit of WWII surplus was floating around and i am sure it is still out there, it was corrosive.
Posted By: kend Re: Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
Thanks
Posted By: rost495 Re: Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
a buddy still shoots a bunch of it. Circa headstamped the early 1900s.... 1918 sticks in my mind from one of the last IDPA matches I saw him shoot.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
I have 50 rounds or so. I think corrosive ammo was still being made in the early 50's,but don't know if any was 45ACP.
Back in the 60's we were still getting DCM ammo that was corrosive but that was 40's and 50's manufacture.We just went home and scubbed our 03's with hot soapy water and dried them off. No problems.

Areas with high humidity can typiaclly cause fine rusting and pittting if firearms are not properly cared for.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Corrosive .45 acp ammo? - 11/20/12
a few years ago when that WWII stuff was floating around, i bought a spam can, unopened, of winchester WWII ball ammo. I bought it mostly because the can was marked do not use for human food consumption, which i thought was kind of kool.
The government was thinking of us even then.
© 24hourcampfire