Home
Posted By: Take_a_knee 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
Here is another reason I don't believe a 9mm Glock can be blown up from factory ammunition. A place where I work has military units show up with Glocks periodically. They mostly shoot GI ammo through them. YOU CAN'T BUY civilian/commercial ammo loaded as hot as that stuff. ZERO kabooms to date.
You can blow anything up given the right set of circumstances.
I have put quite a few cases of ammo through various issued .gov G19s and have never seen one have an issue. The ammo was all issued stuff, JHP and ball.

Heck, while closing down one embassy, I personally burned through roughly 15,000 rounds in 3.5 months. I was not going to leave a single bit of it behind for our allies (enemy) Iraqi Ahole jerkoffs.

That being said, I have heard it happening enough from people I know and trust to understand that even if I have not seen it happen personally, it can happen.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
If the Glock was that easy to blow up it wouldn't have become the Number One Selling Handgun in the World. I have owned over a dozen Glock's and never had a problem with one, other than how boring they are, when it comes to reliably and zero malfunctions
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12

I've seen more 1911s fail, for one reason or another, than Glocks.

FWIW.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
The "kaboom" is attributed to the .40 S&W Glock moreso than the 9mm. TO be honest, I have never even heard of a 9mm going full order, but have witnessed more than one .40 do so.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
Yes, yes. Funny, Remington's 700 is the worlds most popular big game rifle. Are you going to tell me it has never had problems ?
Had an interesting discussion lately with a fellow hunter. He wanted to selct a personal defense handgun. After talking to lots of very knowledgable people, he concluded that the best choice for him was a SIG 220. Seems that there is no controversy surronding the better SIG pistols.
We all know the Glocks can't say that. E
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html#cause

AT THE S&W IDPA WINTER CHAMPIONSHIP THIS PAST SATURDAY (28 FEBRUARY) I PERSONALLY SAW A GLOCK 34 WITH ITS BARREL SPLIT TOP FROM BOTTOM ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BREACH. THE KB! OCCURRED IN FRONT OF MANY WITNESSES. THE SHOOTER WAS USING FACTORY PMC PRACTICE AMMO.

ANYWAY THAT'S THE FIRST 9X19MM GLOCK KB! I'VE EVER SEEN WITH FACTORY AMMO NO LESS

Originally Posted by jwp475

AT THE S&W IDPA WINTER CHAMPIONSHIP THIS PAST SATURDAY (28 FEBRUARY) I PERSONALLY SAW A GLOCK 34 WITH ITS BARREL SPLIT TOP FROM BOTTOM ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BREACH. THE KB! OCCURRED IN FRONT OF MANY WITNESSES. THE SHOOTER WAS USING FACTORY PMC PRACTICE AMMO.

ANYWAY THAT'S THE FIRST 9X19MM GLOCK KB! I'VE EVER SEEN WITH FACTORY AMMO NO LESS

The "Kaboom" you cite was caused by "PMC practice ammo", more [bleep] reloads, loaded by dumbazzes, just as I stated.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

The "Kaboom" you cite was caused by "PMC practice ammo", more [bleep] reloads, loaded by dumbazzes, just as I stated.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You are excellent with the personal attacks BRAVO You are a real brainiac
Posted By: viking Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
It is all relative. I would guess that there is going to be issues with some glocks, there are a lot of them out there. More chances.

I have seen broken down Smiths, M&Ps and other Smith autos. 40 glocks I would bet get a lot of reloaded ammo through them, agency's trying to safe money.

I had a 10mm once, that had a
Posted By: viking Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/17/12
Sorry about that.

It had a 200 XTP bullet lodged in the barrel, from a primer. I don't know why I didn't catch it. But I racked the slide and fired it. A little more recoil and 2 bullet holes in the target. Yes I counted my blessings.

I was testing loads in cold weather. The first shot went click, I most have thought it was a dud, and ejected it.

So I think and know Glocks are tuff.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've seen more 1911s fail, for one reason or another, than Glocks.

FWIW.

Considering 100 years of production, how many 1911s do you think are in circulations?
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12

Since you quoted my post, I guess you noticed my use of the phrase "I've seen."

I haven't seen every 1911 manufactured in the past 100 years.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Since you quoted my post, I guess you noticed my use of the phrase "I've seen."

I haven't seen every 1911 manufactured in the past 100 years.

Just food for thought, no need to get defensive.

Didn't mean to come across that way. We're all a little on edge today.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Yes, yes. Funny, Remington's 700 is the worlds most popular big game rifle. Are you going to tell me it has never had problems ?
Had an interesting discussion lately with a fellow hunter. He wanted to selct a personal defense handgun. After talking to lots of very knowledgable people, he concluded that the best choice for him was a SIG 220. Seems that there is no controversy surronding the better SIG pistols.

There is a lot of controversy surround Sig pistols. New ones are great, if you like bassackward manual of arms. Newer ones suck. I would take a Glock I KNEW was going to blow up before a new Sig. At least the Glock would be reliable until it blew.
Posted By: cfran Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
I'll take my chances with my Glock 19, great pistol.
Originally Posted by bea175
If the Glock was that easy to blow up it wouldn't have become the Number One Selling Handgun in the World.
The factor that has made Glock a commercial success is its cost. Glock has unloaded, sorry, sold its pistols for as little as one dollar over cost to secure both government and law enforcement contracts.

This is not to say that the Glock isn't suitable for its intended purpose, but rather to point out that it is price which is the deciding factor in public sector and military sales. Two pistols of equal merit vying for the same contract will inevitably see the decision made on a cost per unit basis.
I've seen SIGs lose the slide rails. After shooting a bunch of cast bullet loads in his duty 226, a cop I know had a rail come off his pistol. His loads weren't hot, but they must have been a little more than the pistol liked.
SIG was unhappy about replacing it, too, since they were reloaded ammo.

Just because ammo is reloaded, doesn't make it bad. Even in a Glock.
Posted By: ldholton Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Eremicus

There is a lot of controversy surround Sig pistols. New ones are great, if you like bassackward manual of arms. Newer ones suck. I would take a Glock I KNEW was going to blow up before a new Sig. At least the Glock would be reliable until it blew.
like to hear more on what is so wrong with a sig pistol
Posted By: RJM Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
...one small fly in your thinking. Military brass is thicker in the web than most commercial brass. And that is what blows.

Second it makes no difference whatsoever how hot the round is...the reason these blowouts occur is the gun is firing when it is not completely in battery.

I was looking at the guns when two Glock 19 blew. Both were NH Probation/Parole officers. One one my partners gun in 1993 and the other a female officer that I worked with in 1996+-. My partners gun blew with my reloads. The female officer was shooting Winchester from Walmart.

Unlike the others that I have seen neither of these incidents wrecked the pistol like the larger calibers have. Just had to put a squib rod down the barrel and tap the slide open. Unsupported part of the case was blown out. I didn't know about how common this was or I would have kept the cases.

Bob
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by liliysdad

like to hear more on what is so wrong with a sig pistol

I'd like to hear about that, too. Can't remember a Campfire member bringing it up before. I must have missed it.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
Exeter Sigs have a pretty spotty reliability record. Many of the larger agencies using them have had a lot of issues with reliability, and parts failure. They simply aren't what they used to be, just like everything else.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has used Sigs for a very long time. The 220 initially, then the 226 in .357 Sig. The last several years worth of 226 purchases have been worse than the year before. So much so, there is talk of abandoning them as issue, and going with the Glock 31. This is from an agency VERY deeply invested with the platform, and one that rarely purchases based on lowest bidder.

That being said, I still like Sigs, but was only trying to illustrate that there is no gun without issues. I carried a 220 (West German)for the first few years of my career, and loved it. They are a fairly fragile gun, but with the right care and maintenance, they work...usually.

My agency has been issuing Glock 22s for the better part of fifteen years. We have blown a few up, but they are still a very reliable gun. Some have issues with weapon mounted lights, some dont. All in all, they are good to go, even though I don't carry one.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
Back in the the early 90�s, I was slated to attend a Firearms Instructor Training Program (FITP) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA.

Something came up that prevented me from going, so a fellow instructor gladly occupied the slot. At that time, all of the smaller Federal LE agencies trained there so the guns being carried ran the gamut.

My buddy told me that of all the brands represented, SIG�s had the highest rate of down time, i.e. problems that had to be addressed by an Armorer. I'm not a SIG hater - just relating the facts.

Posted By: ldholton Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
I know my 229 that is a non railed model that the frame is marked made in germany and the slide says SIGARMS,INC. EXETER-NH-USA but does say made in is the most accurate semi auto pistol i have ever had at least in my hands (not on a rest) and has never had a hickup, I did have a guy tell me her thought this pistol was a bit rare cause all th bi tone u see have a black bottom and black controls with stainless slide, but this one also has the stainless controls , trigger and hammer. but I don't know that it is "rare" or not
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/18/12
I've bought three recent production Sigs, and I have one left, a 938. It needs help, but given what it is I'll probably invest the tuning into it to make it run reliably.

I'm reminded I need to revisit the Browning Hi Power. And yes I have a silly Glock, too blush
Admit it, the "silly" Glock's only required investment is ammo.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/19/12
and mags

and trigger work

and an aftermarket barrel

grin

I did handle a S&W M&P tonight. Good sights, pretty nice ergos, not much thicker than a 1911. I might consider one of them, too.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 9mm Glock Kabooms are BS - 12/19/12
I have had a few, fired a few rounds, never had a misfire or any problem at all with the 9mm Glock. I must lead a charmed life.
© 24hourcampfire