Home
Posted By: RWL99 IWB or OWB for concealed carry - 01/19/13
My Springfield XDS came with a nice little paddle holster but I just ordered a IWB holster from John Jackson in Florida.

What's your preference for concealed carry?
IWB, Crossbreed Super Tuck
IWB Acecase holsters.
Anyone running one of these Tucker "the answer"
http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-answer-iwb/
I prefer IWB.

Travis
Originally Posted by bea175
IWB, Crossbreed Super Tuck

Ditto
I have both the SuperTuck and MiniTuck no complaints.
I am having Sam Andrews make me a OWB holster for my XDS. The dang gun is too little to work well in an IWB holster, considering my, er, 'build'.
I am also going to try one of Sam's pocket holsters if I can get one.
Milt Sparks summer special
I just got an XDS and ordered a "Pancake Special" from Tucker Gunleather. It's OWB. I will try it for a while and see if a IWB would work better.

I will post pics and holster reports when I can
I like IWB for concealed carry. I started out using a Galco Combat Master, but found myself futzing with my cover garment and tucking it underneath to keep it from showing.

Once a I tried an IWB (DeSantis Cozy Partner) I never use the Galco unless I'm not concerned with exposing it.

I'm probably going to replace it with a Crossbreed at some point.
I carry IWB. Over the years, I've accumulated several holsters (more than I care to admit). For my money, the Remora holster is hard to beat. For me, it's the most comfortable and the price is reasonable. It's all I use any more for all my carry guns.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RWL99
My Springfield XDS came with a nice little paddle holster but I just ordered a IWB holster from John Jackson in Florida.

Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB. For a smaller handgun, I like their Executive Companion IWB.
Been packing IWB for many years,

Tried sholder holsters, pancake holsters, fanny packs, etc.

Finally tried IWB and settled on this for best concealment.

Lately been getting my "summer special" holsters from Bulldog leather.

Reasonable price, and quick delivery time.

Virgil B.
I've got 4 IWB holsters and find all but one just plain uncomfortable.. 90% of the time I use an OTB holster and just cover it with a sweatshirt or, during summer, an untucked shirt or T-shirt..
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've got 4 IWB holsters and find all but one just plain uncomfortable..

'Cause you ain't tried a Crossbreed.
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've got 4 IWB holsters and find all but one just plain uncomfortable.. 90% of the time I use an OTB holster and just cover it with a sweatshirt or, during summer, an untucked shirt or T-shirt..

Mitch Rosen or Milt Sparks is what I use and find them to be extremely comfortable
I've been a fan of IWB carry for over 40 yrs. I didn't use a holster because I couldn't find one that worked well and carried well. That was until I let a Mackay Sagebrush convince me I'd be better off with a Milt Sparks.
Their Versa Max II is everything a good concealed holster ought to be. Not only comfortable, even in hot weather, but it really keeps the gun concealed, secure, easy to draw and to reholster.
If you decide to get one, be sure to get their custom made gunbelt. If comfort is important, their bias cut belts are where it's at. E
i bought a g36 a few days ago and picked up a blackhawk serpa yesterday. using the pancake option (as opposed to the belt loops), it feels fine to me.

Don't show up at Rob Leatham's range 'cause he doesn't allow Serpas.
Posted By: dla Re: IWB or OWB for concealed carry - 01/21/13
Originally Posted by RWL99

Some pistol profiles make you think you've got a colostomy bag when carrying them IWB. I've no CC experience with the XDS. If you can sit down in your car without groaning, sit down at a table without your pistol "standing up" and go for a 1/2 mile walk without getting a hot spot then IWB will work for you. But if you find yourself touching the butt to relieve the pressure or change position - IWB is out. No quicker giveaway than a guy adjusting.
Milt Sparks Versamax 2 for my Glock 27.

Best holster investment I have ever made.

Its a IWB
I prefer OWB

The holster that came with my XDs just plain sucks so a friend made me a custom leather holster for mine

I wear it everyday and its very comfortable

You just have to understand that to carry all the time will be a significant adjustment. And carrying IWB is even more of an adjustment. But the IWB option provides better concealment of your pistol, better retention, and keeps the pistol closer to your body. OWB beats all for comfort, but if you carry anything but a sub-compact, printing becomes a continuous problem.

In my experience, I can carry a full sized auto with nothing but a T-shirt covering the gun. With an OWB, a t-shirt can cover something small, but if you�re going to go to a full sized pistol, then you generally need an over-shirt, vest, or jacket. Since I don�t like wearing a jacket or over-shirt, I stick with IWB.

Remember, a pistol first needs to be comforting; comfortable is secondary.
The answer is: Situation Dependent.

Of course it depends on body types and weapon types. Those are a given. A belt designed to support a weapon is equally as important as a proper fitting holster if you are going to wear the weapon for extended periods of time and keep it concealed.

In regards to situations, I mean the environment (not talking exclusively about the weather). The holster I choose when I am going out in the evening with wife and friends, wearing only a light un-tucked button down shirt can be different than the one I will wear in the dead of winter, when I have multiple layers of clothing on. The IWB can be harder to get to quickly in that situation, so I want something more accessible.

I run both IWB and OWB Sparks rigs, as well as some kydex. My most used are the OWB 55BN models, most often carrying a Glock. That being said, I have tailored my wardrobe around always being armed. My suits are cut specifically for it.

Sometimes though, I need more concealment due to the environment such as a dinner party where there will be lots of opportunities for close contact and people to inadvertently touch my side. In those environments, I run an IWB.

The tradecraft trick is when you see a touchy type woman coming in for a hug, you don't avoid it. That is a giveaway to people watching you (if that is an issue). You go for the hug too. You simply go low and human behavior will generally dictate that the other person go high. This way you end up with your arms around their waist, and their arms above yours and your gun.

If I was only going to have one rig, w/o light attached, I would run a 55BN.

Cheers!

I've seen your shoe/holster door rack and I believe you do have a holster for every occasion.

I am new to carrying and have come to love the crossbreed. I haven't tried the sparks versa max that people love. I was nervous to try in the waistband thinking my pants would be to tight etc but it actually worked with them and is far more comfortable than I figured it would be. It is much easier to stay concealed and not have to plan a second shirt, jacket, or vest that overhangs. Sometimes I carry OWB nut mostly not concealed. I like the simply rugged pancakes for that.

I would like to get the small Kahr 9mm or something similar instead of carrying the full size 1911 all the time to have a pocket carry or smaller more descreet
Just got the email from Crossbreed that my MiniTuck is on the way. This is for my Kahrs, it will work with the CM9, CW9 and CW45. This will be my first time carrying IWB except for a couple times going Mexican carry with the CW9 under a heavy jacket as a trial.

Been carrying the CM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis in my jeans pocket. Have to wear my �fat� jeans, one waist size up from what I normally wear. There is an indistinct bulge when I�m standing but it really shows when I sit down. Not that you can really tell what�s in the pocket, just that it�s obviously bigger than a cell phone.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...There is an indistinct bulge when I�m standing ... ...just that it�s obviously bigger than a cell phone.
Man, some people just have to brag on a public forum crazy
Hey, if ya got it, flaunt it. grin
Posted By: 68W Re: IWB or OWB for concealed carry - 01/22/13
XD40 sub-compact in a Crossbreed supertuck look-a-like a local guy made for me. I love everything about my rig for nearly all circumstances I am in. The only upgrade to carrying this gun I'm wanting is a true carry belt. My belt is normal run of the mill store bought and leaves something to be desired.
As stated, it depends on the situation -- specifically, weather and style of dress will dicate whether you can safely conceal OWB or have to go to IWB. Body type also has a lot to do with it. Some can conceal easily. Other's can't.

In any event, I dislike paddle holsters because they tend to allow the butt of the gun to ride too far outboard.
Many of my carry guns have both IWB and OWB holsters. Some have only one method of carry, due to size or shape.
For the most part, I prefer OWB for the biggest and the smallest CCW handguns. I prefer IWB for the mid sized ones.
Those choices seem to work best for my build and dress.
I also have IWB and OWB for many of my carry pieces. I use both, but if possible I much prefer OWB. It's much more comfortable for me but in many (probably most) cases IWB offers better concealment. I came to the conclusion that I just have to try several different makes/models in both styles to find what I like best....I'd guess that will be the case for most folks.
What do you guys recommend for a lady carrying a Springfield XD 40 for concealed? I do have a purse for sometimes, but looking for something other than the POS it came with.
NMLady, this young lady does a bunch of good vids on concealed carry for women.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0EAE334EDF19918B
A tip for those that wear jeans and carry IWB...Wangler regular fit jeans with a spandex waist band. The spandex stretches to accommodate the bulk of your IWB carry.....works for me. smile
RWL99,

Thanks for the tip!

Picked up 2 pr. yesterday.

They fit lots better than the cowboy cut slimfits I used to wear, and my IWB pistol works better with these pants!

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire