Home
A few years back, while counting birds in a place where hunting is verboten, I ran into this big frigging feral hog, said boar taking a good few minutes twenty five yards out deciding whether to cede the trail, despite me yelling and waving my arms eek Then I had to walk by where it was in thick brush maybe 20 yards out puffing and snorting.

[Linked Image]

All I had at the time was my then usual 3" .357 Mod 60 j-frame revolver loaded with 180 grain Fed Castcores. Much better than a pointy stick to be sure, but suffice to say that same week I picked up a 10mm Glock 29.

I don't reload, and 10mm ammo is usually scarce and pricey, plus every load I bought since purchase never felt all that hot in the hand, like I was shooting at best a .40 plusP equivalent.

Then at Cabelas the other day I found a box of Buffalo Bore 220 grain lead hardcasts cool They advertise 1200 fps and 705 ftlbs at the muzzle, from what I gather out of the short barrel of a Glock 29 I'm looking at maybe 1050 fps and maybe 550 ftlbs.

Blew through a single mag of 10 rounds rapid fire at the range today. Finally, a 10mm commercial load that FEELS hot at the wrist cool Recoil was sharp, muzzle flip substantial, but controllable.

OK, 10 rounds at 30 feet, rapid fire, aiming a tad low to get a good look at the target (like I would with an inbound hog fer example....)

[Linked Image]

Suits me, feeling decidedly less apprehensive about big pigs in the woods now cool

Ya I know about stock Glock barrels and lead, but at $1.50 per round, I doubt I'll ever fire enough of these in a row between cleanings for leading to be a problem.

Birdwatcher
I predict dead pig.
And with an exit wound ta boot.

Those loads will pack a wallop. The 357 mag will take care of hogs nicely.
I should get a few of those for the TN hog hunt. My personal carry loads are a handloaded 180gr Gold Dot at 1375, but the 220's should come out of my 5 inch Delta Elite at a good clip and be mighty deadly.
BTW, that is some good shooting on that target there. Nice work.
I just traded a kind of beat up and little rusty older 700 BDL in 6mm (Alaskan version of a truck gun, a boat gun) for a NIB Glock 29. I'm looking forward to trying some of those 220's and accessorizing it. DoubleTap has a good selection of 100 loads also.
I don't believe that load is recommended for a factory barrel. Unsupported chambers have done bad things to Glocks with the buffalo bore loads I have heard. No real experience but have seen pics of blown up guns. Cast bullets also do not agree with the polygonal rifling. Got a G20 myself. Nice shooting BTW.
Originally Posted by k20350
I don't believe that load is recommended for a factory barrel. Unsupported chambers have done bad things to Glocks with the buffalo bore loads I have heard. No real experience but have seen pics of blown up guns. Cast bullets also do not agree with the polygonal rifling. Got a G20 myself. Nice shooting BTW.

Been shooting the Buffalo Bore loads & my handloads with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!
Never had any problems, & I haven't "blown up" my Glock, yet.

The problem with shooting lead bullets in Glocks comes from shooting pure lead or soft cast bullets. That causes a lead build up in the barrel due to Glock' s type of rifled barrels.
That's for dipsticks who are not smart enough to clean the barrel after going to the range!

The Buffalo Bore ammo will not harm your Glock 29. grin
Just to answer everyone...

In that little 3" .357 Mod 60 I believe those 180 gr Federal CastCores were doing around 1,000 fps at the muzzle, with those loads I couldn't shoot it as fast or as well in my hands as that Glock either.

So, in the Glock twice as many rounds of a 22% heavier bullet going about 5% faster in an easier to control package.

I'm left handed and right eyed, cross-dominant, so handgun sights sometimes print somewhere in left or right field for me. Having this factory load print to point of aim at exactly the ranges I'd most need it is pure gravy cool

Downsides are the 29 doesn't pack concealed quite as easily as that Mod 60 and feels like a 2x4 in my hand, also it would not be as versatile as that Mod 60 for recreational shooting on camping trips and the like.

But acceptable tradeoffs as for me the 29 is a special purpose gun specifically for the hog-infested woodlands of which we have lots here. I'll pack it along on flintlock hunts too as finisher/backup.

Birdwatcher
ummmm smoked bacon!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Been shooting the Buffalo Bore loads & my handloads with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!
Never had any problems, & I haven't "blown up" my Glock, yet.

The problem with shooting lead bullets in Glocks comes from shooting pure lead or soft cast bullets. That causes a lead build up in the barrel due to Glock' s type of rifled barrels.
That's for dipsticks who are not smart enough to clean the barrel after going to the range!

The Buffalo Bore ammo will not harm your Glock 29. grin

K. Somebody with real experience. I Have only shot handloads out of my G20. Just what I have heard in research on my Glock. I use 180XTP's.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just to answer everyone...

But acceptable tradeoffs as for me the 29 is a special purpose gun specifically for the hog-infested woodlands of which we have lots here. I'll pack it along on flintlock hunts too as finisher/backup.

Birdwatcher

It's also now Legal to pack a handgun in TX in Archery Season for Deer if you have a Concealed Handgun License. Most of my students don't know that when I tell them during class. A lot of bow hunters have been getting their CHL for that reason, alone! Like you said, lots of hogs here in Texas! grin

http://www.manta.com/c/mr5kmgv/buffalo-bore-ammunition-co-inc

Buffalo Bore Ammunition Co Inc in Saint Ignatius, MT is a private company categorized under Ammunition. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Montana.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Buffalo Bore Ammunition Co Inc in Saint Ignatius, MT is a private company categorized under Ammunition. Our records show it was established in 2010 and incorporated in Montana.

Ok, so I mis-stated my post. Mean't to say I have been shooting my handloads loaded with a 220gr LBT hard cast bullet out of my Glock 20 for at least 15 years!!! I've been using Buffalo Boar Ammo through my Glock 20 as long as they have been making it. Fixed it for ya. You should be an Editor cool
Since you don't reload for it, Underwood Ammo is worth a look.

Like everyone else, they can't currently keep up with orders, but their prices are fair and their product is outstanding.
Wow I just checked out Underwood, their prices for are great. Their 220gr load has the same FPS as Buffalo Bores. Even says safe for use in Glock! 50 for $38($.76 ea) vs 20 for $29($1.45 ea.) for Buffalo Bore and $.96 ea for Double Taps 230 gr.

Thanks for the heads up Otto, just hope I can get some up here.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmAuto220GrainHardCastFlatNoseBoxof50.aspx

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[search]=&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=24&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0&s[sku]=&s[price_from]=&s[price_to]=&s[weight_from]=&s[weight_to]=

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25

Buffalo Bore has been around longer than 2010. I bought my Glock 20 back in '06 and have been shooting BB ever since then.
Nice shooting there.

That load ought to sting a wee bit.

A lot of factory 10mm has been "loaded down" I guess you could say. I don't know if that is from the FBI days or not. It seems like the only ammo, as you know, that has some "fire" in it is that Buffalo Bore stuff. I don't know but maybe Corbon does also.

I love my Glock 27 and with a standard length KKM barrel in it and my handloads over a chronograph I'm getting around 1175 fps with a 180 cast slug. Plenty of snap but very comforting when hiking the hills and vales.

The 10mm interests me but not just now.
What do the companies like BB do to make their loaded ammo safe for shooting in factory Glocks compared to handloads that are loaded similar?
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Buffalo Bore has been around longer than 2010. I bought my Glock 20 back in '06 and have been shooting BB ever since then.

Absolutely! Dunno where this "2010" date came from. Perhaps a corporate reorganization or some such, but Tim Sundles has been selling Buffalo Bore ammo since the late 1990's.

I bought my first Buffalo Bore loads prior to Y2K, IIRC. It's quality ammo.

[Linked Image]

Suits me, feeling decidedly less apprehensive about big pigs in the woods now cool

Ya I know about stock Glock barrels and lead, but at $1.50 per round, I doubt I'll ever fire enough of these in a row between cleanings for leading to be a problem.

Birdwatcher

I don't think you'll have a problem. As chlinstructor says, harder cast bullets should do fine in the Glock polygonal barrel... though I'd be diligent with a lead scrubber after shooting lead in any case.

FWIW, I've found that the little G29 and G30 are more manageable in my hands than the G26 9mm or G27 40 S&W... and it's nice to have all that 10mm power in a little package.
I've always wanted to try some of the old Norma stuff. Heard it's pretty "snappy" compared to modern 10mm factory stuff. I know my handloads pop compared to them.

The Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Double Tap are as fast as any of the old Norma loads
Buffalo Bullets are cast from much harder alloys. They add more tin & Antimony to the lead.
Not pure lead, like typical cheap cast bullets which causes Glock's rifling to lead up & create un-safe pressures. I've been shooting lead bullets in all my Glock Models since they have been in production. Never had any problems at all.

But of course, I do clean the barrels after shooting any lead bullets. Solves all leading problems right then & there!
Clearly I need to corrupt Birdy and let him shoot a 10mm 19111 grin
Gonna have to try this again, that 29 shot so well for me with that load I'd consider it as a all-purpose carry gun.

Stepping back in history to the 1920's; the Brit logic when they went from the big Webley revolver firing a 325 grain .445 cal load to a 200 grain .38 S&W (AKA .380 Revolver) load in the Enfield revolver was that the long 200 grain lead bullet would tumble on impact, maximizing stopping power.

However that worked out, too much to hope for I'd guess that that Buffalo Bore 220 grain 10mm hardcast load would likewise tumble. I expect it would go through and through and on into the next county.

Birdwatcher
Same ammo and side arm my dad carries here in bear country. . . Though he added an extended and ported LWD barrel and it really helps make the gun shootable in terms of recoil.
I don't know about Underwood, but Buffalo Bore is not an SAAMI member and does not adhere to their pressure standards. Double Tap is and it's ammo doesn't clock like the old Norma loads.
The old Norma loads were very hard on 10mm guns and that's one reason why it's no longer loaded.
I've seen Buffalo Bore ammo lock up two different Marlin rifles in .45-70 on two different days. Both boxes of ammo were marked as loaded for such rifles. So good luck with it.
Frankly, if you test a good flat point, like Double Tap's 200 gr. at a more modest velocity, you find they penetrate like crazy. Certainly plenty for almost anything. E
Hard cast lead won't likely lead the barrel much if at all.

Was that dead boar shot with the .357 Magnum? How fast did it stop him, if so?

Seems like the company has been around a good bit longer than that. I remember buying some about ten years ago, or more.
Good shooting. I like my 10. No 220 grain hardcast yet, but I believe I'll get some and work up a load.

I've got acceptable loads for mine in 135, 165, 180 and 200 jacketed bullets, Nosler, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers and XTP's. I like Power Pistol and 800X. Titegroup bears mention as well.

An aftermarket barrel is not all that much. Less than a finger, I figure. wink

However that worked out, too much to hope for I'd guess that that Buffalo Bore 220 grain 10mm hardcast load would likewise tumble. I expect it would go through and through and on into the next county.

Birdwatcher

From my personal experience here at the ranch with my Glock 20 & my Kimber 1911 10mm, that load will Penatrate a big Feral Hog (say 300lbs) front to back & keep on going!
No signs of expansion, but it Definately tumbles!

I would bet a big ole Feral Hog is just about as tough to penatrate, or maybe more so, than a Black Bear, given the hog's tough hide, thick grissel plate covering a huge heart, & large bone structure.
I've seen a big boar weighing 450 lbs, that a friend shot with a bow, take 4 more rounds from a .44 mag handgun he was packing with 240gr Factory HP's.
He made a high lung shot with his arrow, at 15 yards, from a ground blind, and the big boar charged him head on. After takinging the 4 - .44mag rounds at point blank range, the big Boar basically slid up to my buddy's foot as it died!

I think i pretty much convinced him, afterwards, that he needed the Buffalo Boar Loads for his 10mm Glock wink
......so would you roll the BB 220gr. cast over the BB 155gr. TAC-XP? I was thinking of trying the Underwood 200 and 180 XTP in a G20sf that will be en route shortly, but they (like everyone else) is cleaned out. BB is still available, so......

George
Good shooting...

[Linked Image]

Ya, what happened was we just happend to be passing by the range on an erand towards evening and I put up and shot a quick ten rounds at the target in the fading light while my wife waited in the car (a sure indicator that I was hurrying grin).

Hastily fired the first shot and thought I missed entirely. A closer look revealed that closest bullet hole a smidgen right of center cool The next nine rounds showed that level of accuracy weren't that much of a stretch.

Took down the target and left, I'll bet we were at the range all of ten minutes.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by NH K9
......so would you roll the BB 220gr. cast over the BB 155gr. TAC-XP? I was thinking of trying the Underwood 200 and 180 XTP in a G20sf that will be en route shortly, but they (like everyone else) is cleaned out. BB is still available, so......

George

I always prefer the heavier bullet, but thats for shooting hogs & Whitetails. I fear the 220gr Buffalo Boar loads may have just a little too much Penatration on two legged critters wink
If I'm toting my Glock 20 in town, I've always got a extra 15 round mag loaded with 180 grain XTP's. They also work great on the deer & hogs I've used 'em on.
200gr XTP,s work great, too. But they are not as accurate as the 180gr XTP's in my gun.

For my Handloads, I'm using a maximum load of AA9 on the 200gr XTP,s & BlueDot on the 180's.
BTW, the Powder MFGs no longer reccomend BlueDot for 10mm's or .41mags. They claim big pressure spikes, but I've been using BlueDot Powder ever since I got my first 10mm with no problems.
I should have clarified that it will be for hunting (at this point).

I'm not set up to reload for the 10mm at this point, but hope that will change soon. I did find some factory 180gr. XTPs, maybe I'll give those a run as they have 'em local.

Thanks!
I often carry my G29 off-duty. I have the std short mag in it loaded with Doubletap 135 JHPs. My spare G20 mag holds 15 DT 200 gr. WFNGCs; theory being after first mag more penetration prolly be a good thing.

No leading after a couple hundred rounds. They seem quite hard.

I would rather have this pistol with me for animal defense than any of my several .44s. Simply handier to pack/conceal and more rounds on tap with power equivalent to .41 Magnum.
Originally Posted by NH K9

George

I always prefer the heavier bullet, but thats for shooting hogs & Whitetails. I fear the 220gr Buffalo Boar loads may have just a little too much Penatration on two legged critters wink
If I'm toting my Glock 20 in town, I've always got a extra 15 round mag loaded with 180 grain XTP's. They also work great on the deer & hogs I've used 'em on.
200gr XTP,s work great, too. But they are not as accurate as the 180gr XTP's in my gun.

For my Handloads, I'm using a maximum load of AA9 on the 200gr XTP,s & BlueDot on the 180's.
BTW, the Powder MFGs no longer reccomend BlueDot for 10mm's or .41mags. They claim big pressure spikes, but I've been using BlueDot Powder ever since I got my first 10mm with no problems.

You are helping me on what load to take for my Delta Elite this March at the 24hrcf TN boar hunt. I was toying with the idea of trying some heavier bullet loads, but it sounds to me like my handloads of a 180gr Gold Dot at 1375fps should be just fine, based upon your post here.

For those interested, I am getting those numbers safely with AA#9

Knowing trumps guessing, stick to something you KNOW, whatever the hell that might be.

+1 to Steelhead reply

1+ on this responce.
Had a model 20 blow out at the unsuppored part. I was shooting Masters ammo loaded for KSP, and some other state police organizations back in the 80's, they (KSP) did not have to worry about it as they were shooting S&W 1006. I had a lot of this ammo so I went with a KKM barrel, now no worries with it. I was not hurt to bad my hand stung for a while as it knock the mag release the oppisite way into the palm of my right hand. Sent the gun back to Glock they sent it back with complete new lower. I was satisfied, and the gun shoots like a target pistol with my KKM. I would say you would be safe as long as you shot it and left the brass lying. Would not try to reload, and shoot with an unsupported barrel. JMHO.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

this was fired @32 paces off a rest
© 24hourcampfire