Home
Posted By: smithrjd New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13
Finally found one and got it in. Went to the range yesterday and it works great. Accurate, great trigger hits to point of aim etc. The problem is the barrel, it is canted, turned passed center. Does not seem to affect anything but me... It is there and I can see it. Should I send it back to S&W? Would they fix it or say it is fine and return it? A little bit bummed that as a $700+ revolver the barrel is not dead centered.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13
That's not something you see in a S&W revolver. You should definitely return it, otherwise it's goingi to bother you forever. The 617 is one of those guns you tend to hold on to forever, so get it right. S&W will make it right, don't worry about that.
Posted By: DW12 Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13

More info on this:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/296207-canted-barrels-fact-fiction.html

The 617 is a great 22.

Posted By: bea175 Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13
I had a SS 629 with the barrel canted to the left a couple of MM and i took a plastic mallet or small hammer and gave it a couple of whacks and straighten or i should say aligned it perfect . The pistol shot great . Aligning the barrel when off a mm or 2 won't effect anything , except make the pistol group better. Smith is bad about over-torquing barrel on their revolvers since doing away with pinned barrels. It is no big deal to aligning a over-torque barrel on a Smith .
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The problem is the barrel ... turned passed center.

It happens.

I have a 629-5 that had the opposite problem. The barrel wasn't turned in far enough. It had never reached center. You could see the front blade was tipped over. I had to move the rear sight all the way to the right to get it to zero. Bothered me no end.

I could have sent it to S&W and I'm sure they would have fixed it for free, but as it happened, a gunsmith in the area unscrewed the barrel, relieved some of the steel around the part that butts up against the frame and screwed it back on. The factory could not have done it better.

My situation was unusual, though. In your place, I would send it to S&W. They should make it right.
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/25/13
I have seen many, and owned several, S&W revolvers not only with canted barrels not screwed in enough or screwed in too far, but also with bent barrels that were pointing too far right or left (mostly left) even though they were indexed correctly in the frame.

The majority of these issues I have seen were in revolvers of 1980's-early 90's production, but I'm sure there are examples from all eras including today.

The cure for a bent barrel is not easy for the owner to watch.

S&W will make it right if you return it to them for repair.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
I really like the revolver and actually think that it is worth the money. I bought it to give my old High Standard Citation a break from the range trips. Nothing wrong with it, but they are getting collectable and 300 rounds a trip will give some wear. I would guess the 617 is about 4 to 5 degrees out, still shoots to point of aim with the rear site basically centered but it is visible. If one runs a finger nail on the right side you hit the frame, the left side you hit barrel. I will contact S&W and see what they will do. I have owned and do own several S&W and this is a first for me.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would guess the 617 is about 4 to 5 degrees out, still shoots to point of aim with the rear site basically centered but it is visible.

Hmmmm. If they send it back with the barrel backed off to center the front sight, you might have to move the rear sight off center to maintain zero.

Is it with just that one brand of ammo, or with everything?
Posted By: smithrjd Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
22LR in my area is Slim Pickens.. Used what I have around. Winchester super X HV, Wincester 22 target, Auglia pistol match, RWS rifle match, and Remington subsonic. All shot to point of aim, and dang the Remington is dirty..
Posted By: boatboy Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
I have a 617 they are great guns although when I got it oh man two men and a boy to pull the trigger double action had to send it for trigger work S&W will not do their rimfires (They will be sure they are in speck but not lighten)

But here is a stupid question
That was what the "pinned" barrel stopped correct?
The pin made sure the barrel was in straight?

Thanks Hank
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
I'd send it back and ask them if they can also fix the trigger while its there.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
I'd ask for a refund, then go buy an older pre gay-lock smith and have money left over. Preferably a k-22 built by hand from craftsman.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I'd ask for a refund, then go buy an older pre gay-lock smith and have money left over. Preferably a k-22 built by hand from craftsman.
The K-22 has never been a hand built handgun.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: New S&W 617 issue - 02/26/13
Early K-22 (Outdoorsman and Masterpiece etc.) were hand fitted on a craftsman's bench. So to me they are built by hand in an era long since past.
© 24hourcampfire