Home
I have a couple of .22 match pistols, which are fairly large & heavy. Thinking about something a little smaller and lighter for new shooter instruction, casual target shooting, and plinking/small game. Could be revo or auto.

One of the 4" K rame Smiths comes to mind, but I know there are also a number of new models out, like the Ruger SR22, Sig Mosquito, and various .22 cal 1911's. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Currently?

The Ruger Pro-Lite 22/45 and the LCR.

Travis
My favorite .22 plinker? Lots, and they are all wheel guns. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say almost any 4" or 6" barreled .22 revolver is my favorite plinker. I don't care if it's a duo-tone Hi-Standard Sentinel, an H&R tip up, or an over-priced Colt Diamond back. They all possess "minute of tin can" accuracy at plinking ranges, and all are imbued with a 100% "fun factor" every time you pull the trigger.
Ruger SR22

Simply the best .22 pistol I have ever shot
Currently have a Ruger Single-Six (three screw).A guy at the rifle range has a Ruger Single-Six New Model, convertible 6.5" barrel for sale that I am dickering on. Don't need it but I want it.
For plinking, far and away the Ruger SR22.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

One of the 4" K rame Smiths comes to mind ...

Any of the Ruger Mk I-IIIs come to mind. Shouldn't be heavier than a K-frame Smith. Rugged, reliable and plenty accurate.
what is your favorite .22 plinker?

That's like asking a Sheik who's his favorite wife in his Harem
Still my K-22 10 shot. But I recently added a threaded barrel 22/45...I'm sure it will become a favorite once I get that barrel attachment.
Years ago I bought a S&W622. I was going against the grain then because the "wisdom" at the time was that you should buy a 30+ oz Ruger. But I liked the lightweight and ease of maintenance. I have no idea how many bricks the 622 has digested accurately and trouble free.

Nowadays Ruger has finally seen the light and seems to be selling a pretty good lightweight plinker. It would be my next 22lr pistol purchase.
My Colt Woodsman's
The most accurate one is the S&W K-22 that I bought back in the mid 60's. Probably the most fun gun is the Ruger SR22 that I just got awhile ago.

Ruger Mk II, either Gov't Target model or the 10" "silhouette" gun.

I made a mistake and got rid of my 10", thought I'd be able to get a new one when the Mk IIIs came out. Wrong. Instead I'm shooting a Mk III 5-1/2 blued target gun. I like the Mk IIs better.

Revolvers ... I like the 6" K22. Ruger Single Six, if you get one that is accurate, is good, too.

Personally, I don't care about weight in a plinker, it's not required to be a trail gun, its something to toss in the truck on my way out to shoot tin cans ... I want something that will let me hit tin cans out to silly distance.
Ruger SR22

Hands down, the "funnest" 22 handgun I've ever shot.

Have a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper on order. It may take first place.

Virgil B.
My Colt Woodsman followed by my S&W 17-3 with a 6" barrel.
My Ruger Mk III 5 1/2" bull barrel. It's a great accurate shooter and never hiccups.
Ruger mark II
Ruger Single 6 or Mark II ..... hard to pick a favorite confused

Right now I mostly go with the single 6 because I will shoot less 22LR
which , of course is very hard to find.
Are the Ruger SR22's any easier to disassemble than the traditional Mark I/II/III ?
Are the Ruger SR22's any easier to disassemble than the traditional Mark I/II/III ?

According to Joe at RealGuns - yes. Mainly because there is no magazine disconnect.
22 Plinker? I have quite a few 22 handguns. Years ago, the choice was always my 4" Colt Diamondback, but I have pulled it from active service with values so high on them these days. I would love to find one in about 90% condition to play with. It would probably regain first choice if it proved to be accurate.

If I went out plinking tomorrow, this is casual plinking and no competitions, I would choose my Ruger SR22-P as it is a lot of fun to shoot and have not had a single problem with it since I got it. I'd also take along the LCR-22 but hitting is a little more difficult and lacks consistancy for me. Still trying to shoot better with the LCR-22. The empties are a bit hard to eject when I use Federal Lightnings (510's). Will have to see it the same issue is prevailent with other brands.

If I were buying a plinker today, I would choose a Ruger 45/22 with a 5" bull barrel or Mark III with a 5.5" bull barrel. They are a little heavier, but hitting what you aim at is satisfying. They are still comfortable to carry in a belt holster on walks. I have a Mark II but intend to buy a 22/45 eventually.

If I preferred revolvers, the top choice would be a 4" S&W 617 today. I don't have one of these, but I have both M17's and M18's which I like a lot. The S&W M63 is a fun little revolver. I have a 5" and want to get a 3" just because. But the M617 is easier to plink accurately with. But for toting around the woods and casual plinking the M63 is very good. Find an older 4" and you will probably like it if you think the 3" barrel is too short.

I don't find plinking with a single action 22 revolver very satisfying. Many will dissagree with me. I'm always reloading or ejecting empties. I just prefer double action revolvers for plinking especially.

Something on a severe budget, the old H&R 999 would be my choice although the one I had spit lead and powder and the sights always worked loose. The timing was off and the gap too large. I would not buy another, but many like them even though they have a very heavy double action trigger.

I would not get a Taurus revolver because of all the problems I hear and read about. I just don't want to take a chance and the triggers are very heavy even it they work properly. I do not have any exposure to the Raging Bull 22 but I assume it is about the same as the M94.

The Sig mosquito has appeal but I don't know if Sig has the problems worked out on them. They jammed a lot. The CZ75 in 22 would be a very good choice as I have only heard good things about them. But they are a bit more pricey.

FAR easier to get apart and back together. Pull down the takedown lever in the trigger guard and it comes apart.
Either/or/or:
[Linked Image]
SR-22. Miles ahead of the Mk II 6 " I sent down the road.
The Ruger SR22-P is a great little pistol. It is not a target gun. You need to be aware of that when you choose one. But they are a lot of fun to plink with and generally I hit what I am aiming at or close within plinking ranges (under 15 yds).
Originally Posted by RufusG
Either/or/or:
[Linked Image]

Showoff! wink
Originally Posted by frogman43
My Colt Woodsman followed by my S&W 17-3 with a 6" barrel.

What he said.
I'm gettin a Viridian green laser to put on the rail of my SR22. The green laser shows up in bright daylight. I've got one on my Beretta PX4 Storm .45 and I really like it. I have red Crimson Trace lasers on both of my LCR's .38 and .22 but the red is limited to low light.
i have or had M17s, Single Sixes, M41, but my all time favorite is this

[Linked Image]
I handled an SR22 today. Pretty decent ergos, all right smile

...for "plinking"....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]
I had one exactly like that. First 22/45 that hit my town. Good guns.

ETA - Okay, now on second look, not EXACTLY like that. Your trigger looks slightly better than stock wink
Colt Woodsmans for wife and me
Small stuff? Had a lot of fun with a couple Walther P-22s I used to own.

I think I'm also going to enjoy immensely the Ruger LCR 22lr - I acquired not long ago.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

[Linked Image]
I had one exactly like that. First 22/45 that hit my town. Good guns.

ETA - Okay, now on second look, not EXACTLY like that. Your trigger looks slightly better than stock wink

i wish i could find a few more of those old style VQ triggers.
Originally Posted by RJM
...for "plinking"....

[Linked Image]

RJM, what is that, a USFA?

Coltfan
As for me, I've got a Colt Diamondback 6" .22 that is my goto gun, or at least it has been. Last fall I picked up one of the Browning 1911-22's and I grab it the most recently. I even have gone so far as to consign a couple guns with a LGS to try to acquire a couple more to stash about.

I almost forgot the Freedom Arms in 22lr/22mag that is my goto shoot past 50 yards gun. It wears a 2x Leupold for my ever aging eyes.

Coltfan
Diamondback stays in the safe, and the Sig Trailside goes in the holster.

If you miss with the TS, then YOU missed.
SR22 is my current. That things eats anything and is pretty darn accurate.
Either K22 works well.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Tough question.

Ruger mark 2 with a tactical solutions 4" threaded barrel and a sig red dot sight
Ruger single ten
Kimber 1911 22 conversion
Originally Posted by coltfan
Originally Posted by RJM
...for "plinking"....

[Linked Image]

RJM, what is that, a USFA?

Coltfan

..yes. 5.5" Flat Top Target .22/.22 Magnum with TruIvory grips. Bought it "used" but unfired about 6 years ago. Have only seen two others like it...one had a case hardened frame.

Bob
S&W K-22! None better for the purpose smile

NB

We are currently blessed with a lot of choices with both 22 revolvers and semi-autos. Nice to have choices, but it makes it more difficult to decide.

K-22 (M17's)are great, but I prefer the M18 for casual shooting.
Single Six and a MK III right now are my favorites
Colt Woodsman.
Pistol: S&W 2206 with adjustable sights, either 4.5" or 6".
Revolver: S&W 18.
I haven't spent a bunch of time shooting .22 pistols, but the Walther P22 my wife has is pretty sweet and very accurate.
Colt Woodsman.
S&W m 18,world famous for fun....
My Kimber 1911 Custom Shop Match 22lr. It will shoot dime size groups off a sandbag all day long at 25 yards & feeds all brands of ammo.

My second choice would be my Ruger SR-22
My first, bought the first year it came out.

[Linked Image]

Distributor photo of my favorite:
[Linked Image]

I've tried bigger many times, tried smaller a few times, handled the new 22/45 "Lite" minutes before buying but nothing beats this 4.5" slab side. Love it.

[Linked Image]

looks a lot like the one in your avatar smile gotta love those Rugers
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

..whose grips Ed???? Very nice!

Bob
Ruger MK II Competition model.................Hb
Second from the bottom. Ruger Super single Six with both .22LR and .22WMR cylinders.

[Linked Image]
the ruger mkII that a buddy talked me out of cause i had 2 of them and the one i have isn't as good
I was outbid on a Smith Model 18...which I guess is okay as it was a mint collector in the original box. Me being a philistine I would carry & shoot it. grin

I bought a SR22, threaded barrel version, and scored some .22 ammo at a decent price, too. The shop owner warned me I'd need to break it in with hot ammo (stingers), which I guess is okay for a plinker.
My fav plinker is a ***HIJACK*** 38 stubby: (38 S&W)

[Linked Image]

DMc
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

..whose grips Ed???? Very nice!

Bob

No idea. Bought them at a gun show in Calgary some years ago for $15 IIRC. They fit me right. Seems even Sir GFY approved of them some time back. I felt much better. grin
Plinking
not sure how you can beat almost any 10/22 and Mark II pistol
There are prettier and more expensive but no better value or more fun IMHO
Hank

Originally Posted by boatboy
Plinking
Hank

You must have never shot a SR22, it doesnt get more fun!!!
Originally Posted by RJM
..yes. 5.5" Flat Top Target .22/.22 Magnum with TruIvory grips. Bought it "used" but unfired about 6 years ago. Have only seen two others like it...one had a case hardened frame.

Bob

That's a nice revolver right there.

Travis
Originally Posted by Boococky
Originally Posted by boatboy
Plinking
Hank

You must have never shot a SR22, it doesnt get more fun!!!

I have I own one and yes its a very nice piece but over many years of Mark pistols I am married
my SR22 S&W 617 and 18 Buckmark and a few others at this time are only affairs but sure fun also

Today for my Daughters 21st Birthday she is getting a 22/45 lite barrel she doesnt know it yet please keep it a secret

I am just bummed Deflave has the cool pimpy gold one we both will have the new ugly dark ones

Super good guy go fast model

[Linked Image]

Just the good guy model
[Linked Image]

Hank
That's awesome.

But yes, gold is more pimper.

Travis
sig hammerli. freaky accurate

[Linked Image]
The Colt Woodsman Target is my favorite. I have carried and shot mine since 1958 (55 years!).

I carry it in my back pocket, chamber empty, barrel up. If you have a jacket on or your shirt is out it's concealed!

I have other pistols but I shoot the old Woodsman well.

To steady the aim for a long shot with a .22 auto reach out with your other hand and hold under the barrel with your finger and thumb.

[Linked Image]
i had a Ruger MkII with a standard 6 inch barrel that i still kick myself for selling cause if i sat on my arse and rested my arms on my knees i could hit 7 out of 10 pop/beer cans at 80 yards when i was having a good day......would like to get another Ruger one of these days....
Its the only one I have; 1969 S&W 34-1 4" nickel w/ walnut Badger grips,also having the number matching original magnas.

[Linked Image]
This oldie over 30 years old: H�mmerli 208
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire