Home
Posted By: crash smith 44 special - 04/02/13
I wanting to know what year it was made in and worth of it.
It has a date stamp 1901 and 1909 on the barrel,44 special,6.5" barrel,nickel in color,approximate 30% nickel off of frame,some specking on barrel,bore good condition,silver insigna in grip,grips are in good condition,serial#26xxx
Thanks
DON
Posted By: HawkI Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
Originally Posted by crash
It has a date stamp 1901 and 1909 on the barrel,44 special,6.5" barrel,nickel in color,approximate 30% nickel off of frame,some specking on barrel,bore good condition,silver insigna in grip,grips are in good condition,serial#26xxx
Thanks
DON

Pics?

Might be a T-lock. But I believe that was pre-1926...

Don't exactly know.
Posted By: crash Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
Will get some pix up later
Posted By: HawkI Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
Soundslike it could be a Third Model (Model 1926), which is a pretty rare, production speaking, gun.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
Originally Posted by crash
Thanks
DON
It is a 2nd Model Hand Ejector made in 1926. Assuming the condition you describe is original...well, it's difficult to say. Prices are simply all over the board these days. I'm thinking a thousand, but you need to get a better estimate than mine.
Posted By: Old_Writer Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
A grand would be high for a shooter grade gun, but a lot of "what's it worth" depends on "where it's at", and in your neighborhood (where ever that may be) you might get top dollar. Where I live, I'd expect to see the gun sell for something closer to $650-750.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: smith 44 special - 04/02/13
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
A grand would be high for a shooter grade gun, but a lot of "what's it worth" depends on "where it's at", and in your neighborhood (where ever that may be) you might get top dollar. Where I live, I'd expect to see the gun sell for something closer to $650-750.

gunbroker

gunsamerica

There are two that a quick search brought up. Both are refinishes. I didn't look these up before I guessed at a price. Refinishes always bring less and this supposedly is an original gun.

Maybe you're right, but things are not selling the way they were prior to Sandy Hook, even mol unrelated guns. They weren't cheap prior to the incident either.
Posted By: Old_Writer Re: smith 44 special - 04/03/13
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Old_Writer

gunbroker

gunsamerica

There are two that a quick search brought up. Both are refinishes. I didn't look these up before I guessed at a price. Refinishes always bring less and this supposedly is an original gun.

Maybe you're right, but things are not selling the way they were prior to Sandy Hook, even mol unrelated guns. They weren't cheap prior to the incident either.
True enough but, at least locally, old-school revolvers haven't seen the same jump as modern auto-loaders. I don't now how reliable the prices are on any of the gun auction sites, but I do know that most guys looking to spend a grand on a hand gun either want a new pistol with all the bells and whistles, or something with a lot more than 70% finish. There are, of course, exceptions if you are looking at a gun with verifiable history, or in a rare caliber or configuration. A photo would be helpful...
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: smith 44 special - 04/03/13
Go over to the http://smith-wessonforum.com/

They can diagnose it within an hour. Make sure you post pictures.
© 24hourcampfire