Home
There have been some really great .357�s for cops over the years�S&W 19, 66, 13, 65, 27, 28, 581, 586, 681, 686 . Ruger Security Six, Speed Six, GP-100. Colt�s Trooper/first model 357, Python, Mk III Trooper/Lawman, Mk IV Trooper, King Cobra.

Which one was the �perfect� cop .357?

I think the Colt�s first model Trooper/357 is about as good as it gets. Python action, skinny barrel. They�re bull strong, can take a gazillion full magnum rounds, and the weight isn�t horrendous.

But if I were a cop, I think it would be awfully hard to beat the Ruger Security Six in 4� barrel. This is the most under-rated, under-appreciated revolver. They are nearly as strong and tough as the larger Colt�s, but are the same size and nearly the same weight of the S&W 19/66�s, and you don�t have to worry about splitting forcing cones. I recall back in the day, none of our local cop-shops would allow a Ruger to be carried because the armorers thought they were just cheap cast guns.
Model 28 4" Highway Patrolman!

I'm not in law enforcement, but I do like my 4-in stainless steel Security Six. Its rated for a full diet of magnums and is a tad lighter than a Smith.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Would you really want to carry that all day long?
I have a stainless Security Six with a six inch barrel I really like. I think with a 4" barrel it could be a very good choice.

S&W M-19/66, the perfect size and weight for a duty 357 IMHO and experience
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

4" Model 686 = 41 oz.

4" Model 28 = 42 oz.

4" Model 19 = 36 ozs. A little better. But what's 6 ozs amongst friends?

4" Model 686 = 41 oz.

4" Model 28 = 42 oz.

Dammit!

4" Model 28 = 41 ozs

4" Model 686 = 42 ozs.

And dat's the truf!
Security Six 33 oz; 4in.

I LIKE the 28 & 686 better, but if I have to carry the thing all day every day, the Security Six becomes much more attractive.
Security Six 33 oz; 4in.

I LIKE the 28 & 686 better, but if I have to carry the thing all day every day, the Security Six becomes much more attractive.

Security Six can never be more attractive than a M-19/66 just can't be
With the original 1930's loads in the .357? An N-frame with five inch barrel. Kinda like mine smile

With today's factory loads? One of the 8 shot S&W's, also with 5" barrel.
I always thought the cylinder release on the Dan Wesson revolvers would be an advantage. You can open with your left hand while your right hand is getting a speed loader. I maybe wrong though, I haven't been around but a couple. I never shot one either. Myself, I carried a 4 inch king cobra once and a while.
For LE I have no idea. For my wife we chose a Ruger SP101 but in .327 Fed.
4" 19 or 66.

Travis
Ruger GP-100 4" stainless...

Great sights that can easily be replaced if damaged.

Easy to work on action that almost never needs work or adjustment.

Lots of different grip sizes and configurations.

Great balance.

Low maintenance stainless steel that is easy to polish up. Won't rust if neglected or left in a holster for long periods of time.

Overbuilt by Ruger so a steady diet of .357s is no problem.

Protected ejector rod. (I've seen lots of Colts with bent rods)

Just a one great tough gun...Bob

S&W 13 or 65 4" bull barrel.
Over 20 years ago I went through the academy with a 686. Carried it for a few years until we switched to Glocks. I have a hard time envisioning a significantly better revolver for LE use.

-Z
I've carried heavier up mountains while hunting. Why would the Mod 28 worry me while I drove around all day?
Originally Posted by deflave
4" 19 or 66.

Travis

Travis knows

Great gun, but too heavy when you consider all they carry on their persons. I think S&W had it right with the four inch heavy barrel, square butt, version of their Model 13/65, as the ideal patrolman's sidearm. Practice should be done mainly with .38s, and they should carry +p .38 Special, with Magnum ammo carried for special circumstances, such as penetrating barriers.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Security Six 33 oz; 4in.

Attractive, never. But it can do the job just as well, if not better. It's slightly lighter. Action jobs on Rugers are a pice of cake. They're not quite as accurate, but more than enough for anything you would ever need. And has the added benefit of never having the issue of splitting forcing cones, which would be a horrible thing to have happen in a gunfight. To the best of my knowledge, it has never happened in a gunfight with any of the K frames, but it does happen from time to time. My very first handgun was a 6" model 19 and guess what happened...Split the forcing cone about 3 months after I bought it.

And I know my luck...I'd be the first SOB to have a forcing cone split in a gunfight.

Now aside from law enforcement service, I'll take the S&W 19 ever damn day of the week. Despite that issue, it still remains one of my all time favorite handguns.
Originally Posted by RJM
...(I've seen lots of Colts with bent rods)...
Colt armorers at LE agencies kept a good supply of ejector rods on hand. It was really funny, that when one came in bent, the night before some perp needed stitches on the top of his noggin.
I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers, but I also like the old Ruger Security/Service Six series.

They're a mid size revolver that punches above their weight.

I load my K frame .38's pretty warm, but I get downright nasty loading for my trusty old Police Service Six .357.

I've been shooting the LBT 160 WFN through it,...but I bought 2 lbs of Lil' Gun last week.

I think I'm going to order some of the gas checked 180 grain WFN's from Cast Performance.
Ruger screwed up by ceasing production of the Security/Service Six series.

I guess the GP series are good revolvers too, but I don't like their full length barrel lugs or their wonky grip frames.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Security Six 33 oz; 4in.

Attractive, never. But it can do the job just as well, if not better. It's slightly lighter. Action jobs on Rugers are a pice of cake. They're not quite as accurate, but more than enough for anything you would ever need. And has the added benefit of never having the issue of splitting forcing cones, which would be a horrible thing to have happen in a gunfight. To the best of my knowledge, it has never happened in a gunfight with any of the K frames, but it does happen from time to time. My very first handgun was a 6" model 19 and guess what happened...Split the forcing cone about 3 months after I bought it.

And I know my luck...I'd be the first SOB to have a forcing cone split in a gunfight.

Now aside from law enforcement service, I'll take the S&W 19 ever damn day of the week. Despite that issue, it still remains one of my all time favorite handguns.

Stay away from from light weight bullets and you will not have to worry about a split forcing cone

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Ruger screwed up by ceasing production of the Security/Service Six series.

I guess the GP series are good revolvers too, but I don't like their full length barrel lugs or their wonky grip frames.
My very first handgun, when I was 19, was a stainless Ruger Speed Six. While waiting for my New York State pistol permit (without which you can't even possess a handgun in New York, let alone carry one), I had a very vivid dream about someone opening fire on me as I stepped out my front door. Then I reached for my sidearm, drew it from its holster, and for some reason swung open the cylinder to inspect that it was loaded, then closed it up again and returned fire, dispatching the bad guy. The image of the gun being a blued steel Ruger Speed Six was as clear as day.

That's when I decided what my first handgun would be. The gun store could only get hold of the stainless one, though, so that's what I got the day my permit arrived. I still have it, too, although my mom keeps it up in New York as her house gun (Yes, she has a permit).
Kevin -

I was a fan of the Ruger "six" series as well. I had a very late 4" Speed Six. I also had a used S&W "registered" .357 that had an 8-3/4, not 8-3/8, inch barrel which came with a bunch of original uber-hot factory ammo. The little Ruger bucked and barked but the only problem it created was I couldn't eject the shells, they'd fuse to the cylinder walls.

I suppose of today's options, a 4" 7 shot S&W 686 would be a good choice; I prefer the GP100 a bit but an extra round isn't a bad thing when the guns are so similar.

My personal .357 is not really a good choice of duty gun, it's too small. 3" adjustable sighted S&W M60 J frame. It's as accurate from a rest as any .357 revolver I've ever had but it's a vicious little beast with full power ammo. It'd be a great "backup" if allowed.

Tom

4" Model 686 = 41 oz.

4" Model 28 = 42 oz.

Yes, I would...........either of those two. And for a classless workhorse, the GP100.
4" S&W Model 686, nothing more, nothing less.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Full lug or Mountain Gun?
I carried a S&W 65 with a 4 inch bull barrel. Worked well for me.
Up until about a year or so ago, I would have said the Smith 66 or maybe the 686.

That was until I owned one of the 627's that came through the performance center with an 8 shot cylinder and 5 inch barrel. Since it would be carried in a duty holster on a gun belt anyway, I cannot imagine a better .357 revolver for LE work.

I'd happily carry one today.

I'm imagining a load with a 140 grain JHP moving at CorBon speed.

Wow.

I shot every kind of evil fire breathing handload I could concoct from the one I had, and it was downright comfortable to shoot.

I'd have to agree with the late Skeeter Skelton that the best .357 law enforcement revolver was a 5-inch Model 19. Next in value I'd rate a 4-inch Model 13/65, although I really prefer blued guns. Smith's N-frame guns are a work of art, but too heavy to lug on a duty belt all day long, even if mostly sitting in a patrol car.
Originally Posted by JOG

MM

Full lug..........way better balance,IMO.

MM
Originally Posted by JOG

MM

Full lug..........way better balance,IMO.

Yeah...me too...probably. I keep trying to convince myself that the M686 Mountain Gun handles like a K-frame, but so far I'm not convinced. The 4" L-frame needs the full lug.
A 4" Security Six.
686 plus 7 shot in 4"
627 N frame 8 shot
686 or 686 plus in 3" to save some weight.

Don't forget the 619/620 L frame series .357 Smiths or the 686 mountain gun-all non full lugged.
[Linked Image]
How about half Colt,half Ruger?
the ruger security six is a great gun i've been shooting one for over 30 yrs.acquired a second one about 15 yrs ago and my sis just got her carry permit so i'm sending her the other security six.
When I was a trooper with the Washington State Patrol we carried S&W 28s with 6" barrels crossdraw. After I left them, they went to Beretta 92s.
Cross draw? That is interesting.

I've had a career at it long enough to go through J, K and L frame Smith and Wesson revolvers prior to using semi-auto pistols. I still use law enforcement J-frames for certain conceal carry duties. The duty revolvers were 64s, 65s, and finally a 686 prior to Sig Sauer winning our contract. Of those duty revolvers, I've never noted any difference in carry between the heaviest 686 and the lightest 64. With all the duty gear, it's about impossible to tell the difference in weight and I've worked shifts as long as 12 hours, and back then prior to current workers rights, I worked more than my share of double shifts with extra hours thrown in for good measure. Never heard a single officer say he needed to swap out his L frame for a K frame to make it through the shift. Of those, the 65 was the better revolver for uniformed duty when issued to scores of officers having varying skill levels. But, the 686 was a personal favorite of mine and quite a number of officers who were gun nuts. Even then, when it comes to overall law enforcement use, not just uniformed duty sized revolvers, I feel the short barreled J-frame model 60 is one of the greatest cop .357 revolvers of all time. It is still my number one choice for concealed carry when my life depends on a concealed pocket sized gun.

Best smile
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
How about half Colt,half Ruger?

More info. Please
i bought this in the seventies, custom built by pistolsmith Bill Davis. 4" Python barrel on Ruger Security Six frame. He called them Cougers. Double action is silky smooth.
Davis was a well known maker of PPC guns during the seventies and eighties.
I recall back in the day, none of our local cop-shops would allow a Ruger to be carried because the armorers thought they were just cheap cast guns.

I have never seen a police dept that gave any consideration to it's armorers thoughts or concerns.
Unless, of course, he had an idea from which he could project a cost savings.
Sounds like my experiences.
Originally Posted by kenster99
i bought this in the seventies, custom built by pistolsmith Bill Davis. 4" Python barrel on Ruger Security Six frame. He called them Cougers. Double action is silky smooth.

In the late seventies I had one of those type built on a S&W 27 with a 6" python barrel. Coolest gun I ever owned. Only problem is everytime a built something cool like that somebody wanted it more than I did, so I sold it. Been hitting my head on the wall ever since.
4" Model 686.
Yup; a 4" 686.. But I'm biased because I own one and I love it. But if I happen to come across a nice 4" Ruger GP100 and the price is right I'm gonna jump on it 'cause they are also quite nice.
I have a Python, a old model Colt Trooper and a Mod 19, but I would pick the 586 or 686 even though I don't have one.

(I do like my Trooper, though.)

[Linked Image]
I am a Model 28 fan, though I would carry a longer barrel. Speed of draw is more about making the decission than it is about barrel length.

Sam Browne belts carry weight well. I wore a couple of them out, but it took 18 years. I am a large man too, your results may vary.

The reason for S&W is the fact they are the same gun from 22 to 45. I put uncounted rounds through my 22 and that muscle memory is 100% there no matter what size S&W I handle. My first 357 was a Trooper, but I sold it because of the unfamiliar controls. By then I had already put thousands of rounds through my early M&P in 38, and had my kit gun too. My version of the man with one gun - the man with seven of the same gun.

My department issued Model 10's and I never felt under gunned because I know I can hit a target with a Smith, and I can hit it fast because S&W triggers are so familiar.

I would rather carry my 460 Rowland Model 625, but in 357 my Model 28 is the clear winner.
There have been some really great .357�s for cops over the years�S&W 19, 66, 13, 65, 27, 28, 581, 586, 681, 686 . Ruger Security Six, Speed Six, GP-100. Colt�s Trooper/first model 357, Python, Mk III Trooper/Lawman, Mk IV Trooper, King Cobra.

I think the Colt�s first model Trooper/357 is about as good as it gets. Python action, skinny barrel. They�re bull strong, can take a gazillion full magnum rounds, and the weight isn�t horrendous.

But if I were a cop, I think it would be awfully hard to beat the Ruger Security Six in 4� barrel. This is the most under-rated, under-appreciated revolver. They are nearly as strong and tough as the larger Colt�s, but are the same size and nearly the same weight of the S&W 19/66�s, and you don�t have to worry about splitting forcing cones. I recall back in the day, none of our local cop-shops would allow a Ruger to be carried because the armorers thought they were just cheap cast guns.

I'm no LEO and have very limited experience with DA fighting revolvers, but I'll have to strongly agree with your choice on the 'First Gen Trooper 357' I have one in 4" blue, pulled the custom Moose antler grips off today and installed the Hogue Monogrips, what a difference, now i have something to hang on to.

I cant think of a quicker DA six-shooter in this effective of a cartridge for SD, the skinny light and fast handling barrel coupled with the 125 gr Barnes TAC-HP's running a full 1450 fps has to be hell on wheels for a BG or two to have to catch.

Gunner
1450 fps worth of .357 bullet will definitely bring beaucoup doom on man or beast.

Show nuff CT, these little 4" barreled heaters have quite the attitude when ya touch 'em off. grin

Gunner
4" Model 19 = 36 ozs. A little better. But what's 6 ozs amongst friends?

After a long duty week it adds up.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
With the original 1930's loads in the .357? An N-frame with five inch barrel. Kinda like mine smile

With today's factory loads? One of the 8 shot S&W's, also with 5" barrel.
same here, I carried a Model 27/5" barrel in a cross draw holster
I like the 27-28 series guns for duty. The weight was never an issue for me. In my prime I carried around 190-200#'on a muscular frame at 5' 10". On a Sam Browne, the extra 6 oz. was nothing to me. I will point out that in my day, the gear carried on the belt lid not resemble a lineman's tool box. Revolver, handcuffs, and a dozen extra rounds was it!

My first issue revolver was a .38/44 heavy Duty. It was soon replaced with the early version Trooper (Python lock work). It was a fine revolver, and I really learned the handgun craft with it. Thousands of practice .38 WC and no small number of magnum loads later, it was pretty much worn out on the inside. I always felt that action was not rugged enough (and I am NOT speaking of the revolver as a club-I never hit anyone with my revolver). It is a very refined piece, but not as strong as the Model 28, which was my next issue revolver.

Mine was fitted with a combat trigger and the internal parts and the internal frame was polished by our armorer as was befitting a pistol team shooter. It was and is smooth. (I bought mine from the department when it was finally retired in favor of semi-autos.). Our department next went to the 586, IIRC, a blue steel gun, but by that time I had enough rank to say no thanks and get by with it, I kept the 28 for uniform wear and had been issued a Model 10 snub nose for plain clothes wear.

If I were buying a revolver today for duty, I would be sorely tempted to go with the five inch Performance center eight shot carried in a little higher ride holster to compensate for the extra inch of barrel.

I was still working when our department changed over to the Sigs. I doubt there is a finer battle handgun ever made that is better than a Sig 220 loaded with a good .45 ACP round. But mine also had a little of the armorers touch to the action.

I could buy one other of my handguns upon retirement. I wanted the Sig, but I had also issued to me a minty unregistered ( much rarer than the Registered model) pre 27 3 1/2" .357 that was bought in 1940 for the Texas Rangers. Most rangers had a love affair with the 1911' is the reason it is so nice. It actually ended up In a display in the Directors office for many years. A new boss wanted the guns out of his office, and I ended up with it as a matter of influence. I unashamedly choose that one upon retirement. I may give it back to a somewhat new museum that has been started up since I retired, then maybe not. As an aside, i also have the original paper trail documentation on that one. Jack

I recall back in the day, none of our local cop-shops would allow a Ruger to be carried because the armorers thought they were just cheap cast guns.

No doubt they "developed" this opinion with the help of a very robust, widespread (and dishonest) propaganda campaign that S&W was waging at the time, comparing Rugers to pot metal. The boys in Springfield must have really thought they had something to worry about with the Six series.

The lies being spread about his guns so infuriated Bill Sr. that he refused to sell his products to any distributor who also carried Smith. Though that policy was dropped in the late 90's after one of the myriad ownership changes at S&W. Must have been a meeting of the minds.

To the OQ, my choice would likely be a 4" half lug GP-100.

Pete
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
I have a Python, a old model Colt Trooper and a Mod 19, but I would pick the 586 or 686 even though I don't have one.

(I do like my Trooper, though.)

[Linked Image]

A local pawn shop has a first model Trooper 357 for sale at $695.00; man I wish I had some cash. That�s such an awesome .357. I see you have Jordan Troopers on yours. I was a huge fan of Bill Jordan and ordered a set of Herrett�s Trooper stocks for my S&W 19; really didn�t like them. I think they are very well designed for combat, but the one thing I failed to realize was the size of that man�s mitts. He could palm a beach ball. I have decent size hands, but nowhere near as large as Jordan�s. I re-shaped my Jordan�s and foolishly let them go when I sold that model 19.
Yeah, recall meeting Jordan at the '85 NRA in Seattle. My hand literally disappeared in his.
A local pawn shop has a first model Trooper 357 for sale at $695.00; man I wish I had some cash. That�s such an awesome .357. I see you have Jordan Troopers on yours. I was a huge fan of Bill Jordan and ordered a set of Herrett�s Trooper stocks for my S&W 19; really didn�t like them. I think they are very well designed for combat, but the one thing I failed to realize was the size of that man�s mitts. He could palm a beach ball. I have decent size hands, but nowhere near as large as Jordan�s. I re-shaped my Jordan�s and foolishly let them go when I sold that model 19.

Did you trace your hand when you ordered your Herret's?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Did you trace your hand when you ordered your Herret's?

Yeah, it still didn�t quite work out. The big thing for me was the enclosed backstrap; I�ve never liked that on any revolver grip. So I opened up the back, and re-shaped to more of Coke Bottle shape, making sort of a cross between a Jordan Trooper and a Roper. The way the top was shaped on the Jordan was much better, especially with speedloader use, but the overall shape of the Roper felt better in the hand. I really should have kept those grips.
I've wanted to try some of their other options for quite awhile. I've got a set of Troopers I ordered with finger grooves and checkering that I bought expressly for my 586. They worked, but were just a little to big to acquire a fast grip every time. So I put them on my model 17, and man that's a match made in heaven.
Bill Jordan was a sometimes visitor at a LGS in Austin. He and the patriarch of the establishment had become friends and competitors back in th old days. I had two really nice visits with him over the years. As stated his hands were enormous. (Only one other guy I ever knew had paws that size. He played defensive line in the pros.). Jordan needed the fill on the backside to keep from loosing his revolver. Most of us do not. Jack
I also traced my hand when I ordered the grips, and they fit - but barely. It's a long reach to the trigger for me. Maybe I'll play with removing the backstrap coverage. I debated between the Roper and the Trooper. I may order some Ropers for my Model 19 or one of my N-frames.

I met Bill Walton, the basketball player, and his hands were enormous!
Speaking of Bill Jordan, IIRC he was instrumental in the introduction of the S&W Model 19, calling it the perfect law enforcement revolver. Light enough to be carried all day but powerful enough to do the job when called upon. That was in the time when the 158 bullet in either JSP or JHP was the standard load.

The Model 19 was the cool revolver to have. For a while in the late 60's you couldn't find a Model 19 or a Model 29 for that matter for love nor money. I finally found one in a gunstore somewhere around 1969 and traded a perfectly good Ruger Blackhawk .357 for it (old model, of course) plus a good deal of boot. At $125 or so the Model 19 was damned expensive!

The introduction of the hot 125 grain loadings was what did in the forcing cone on the 19's and why S&W came out with the L frame in 1980 or 1981, I forget exactly which year. I remember that because I just had to have one but they were scarce for a time. My 586 was bought in 1981.
Ruger Speed-Six 4".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Security Six and Speed Six were damn fine revolvers completely un-appreciated in their time. In many ways they were looked upon in the same light as Taurus revolvers are looked at today. Gunsmiths wouldn�t touch them, and I don�t know how many times I heard them described as cast junk. We all know quite better now don�t we. When I learned how to do action work on S&W revolvers (taught by one of the masters), I always looked at the Rugers with a wondering about how it would work to do an action job on them. My mentor always told me to avoid them because they were cast junk and you�d never get a decent trigger out of them. Well one day I finally opened one up, and to do a basic action job, there is no easier revolver to accomplish that task than a Ruger (actually Taurus may be easier these days with their new lockwork). To do a truly fine trigger job may be just a little more work than a S&W, but it�s not all that hard. I look back now and I see it was nothing but pure prejudice against the investment cast design, because the Security Six & Speed Six are damn fine defensive revolvers.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Speaking of Bill Jordan, IIRC he was instrumental in the introduction of the S&W Model 19, calling it the perfect law enforcement revolver. Light enough to be carried all day but powerful enough to do the job when called upon. That was in the time when the 158 bullet in either JSP or JHP was the standard load.

The Model 19 was the cool revolver to have. For a while in the late 60's you couldn't find a Model 19 or a Model 29 for that matter for love nor money. I finally found one in a gunstore somewhere around 1969 and traded a perfectly good Ruger Blackhawk .357 for it (old model, of course) plus a good deal of boot. At $125 or so the Model 19 was damned expensive!

The introduction of the hot 125 grain loadings was what did in the forcing cone on the 19's and why S&W came out with the L frame in 1980 or 1981, I forget exactly which year. I remember that because I just had to have one but they were scarce for a time. My 586 was bought in 1981.

Jim,

My very first handgun was a -6 S&W model 19 with a 6� barrel, TT,TH,RR,WO (who remembers what those mean?). Oh it was a sight to behold and I loved that gun immensely. But mine fell prey to the split forcing cone, and it was with 158 grain bullets. The forcing cones on the K frame magnums just weren�t thick enough. If I were a cop carrying a revolver knowing what I know now, I�d never carry a K frame with .357�s in it; even with as much as I love that gun. Unfortunately this VERY RARE issue, is still an issue, and it�s an issue that will 100% take the gun out of a fight. And I know my luck, it would ONLY happen to me if I were in a fight. That�s why I chose the Security Six over the 19. The 19 is a finer revolver in every damn way and it�s hard not to fall in love with them. Hell, I�ve even had one go tits-up on me and I�d love to have another one. But the Security Six is either the same or perhaps lighter than the 19 and has never had any issue with forcing cones.

I�ve owned a 686 and a 586 and as fine as they were/are, they just never endeared themselves to me like the 19 did. If I could buy a 686/586 or a 19 for the same money, I�d take the 19 every day of the week; I just love that revolver.
TargetTrigger, TargetHammer, RedRamp(front sight), WhiteOutline(rear sight).
© 24hourcampfire