Home
When you lads are shooting longer ranges, say 100 yards plus, do you elevate the front sight upwards based either on your markings or experience, or do you maintain the same sight picture as you would a 25 yards for the front and rear sight and then just transport that sight picture about the target based on you experience ??

I watched some Utubers and some do one and others the other. I did notice that Hickock45 uses the later.
The former.........and you'll be surprised how little extra front sight it actually takes in many cases. Good luck, and enjoy. It's a hoot. wink
I agree. Elevate the front sight.
I elevate the front sight.

Flinging 44Mag 240's at 375 yard steel. More misses that hits, but loads of fun,

[Linked Image]
It helps if you have a front sight insert or bars on the front sight like a Keith Long Range blade. Helps keeps things consistent from shot to shot and you can record the data for future use...

This is a long range front sight for a Freedom Arms .41 that was made by David Clements...

[Linked Image]

One can also use paint or fingernail polish to do the same...

Bob
I tend to keep it "three dots and level" and adjust my hold. I don't change sight alignment. That being said, I shoot past fifty yards infrequently and not particularly well.

-Z
ever since I shot ihmsa and nra I learned to adjust my sights for different ranges. I carry a 4 way screw driver, the kind that goes on a key ring, around my neck for adjusting. I am talking distances beyond 100 yards, anything less I can just hold on. as always practice, practice, practice under field conditions and at different ranges. I know 400 yards is my limit with my FA 454, as that is the distance my practice range is. also, I use the 6:00 hold because holding p.o.a. will block out the animal at longer range. jim

I elevate my front sight so I can keep my target in view.
RJM, I have to ask about the Clements front sight. How much was the cost? Did you send him the gun and ammo to regulate the bars? What are the crossbars made of?

Thanks in advance.
Coltfan
Originally Posted by Redhill
When you lads are shooting longer ranges, say 100 yards plus, do you elevate the front sight upwards based either on your markings or experience, or do you maintain the same sight picture as you would a 25 yards for the front and rear sight and then just transport that sight picture about the target based on you experience ??
The former. I was taught the technique by a retired deputy sheriff back in the early 1980s. He had a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 that he liked to use to hit targets at over a hundred yards with. Seeing him accomplish that motivated me to buy the same exact handgun and take up the same practice.
Front sight elevated and I do have a few gold bar front blades that make it a lot more fun.
Originally Posted by EdM
Front sight elevated and I do have a few gold bar front blades that make it a lot more fun.

From everything I read, that's the way Elmer did it.
the 44 mag silhouette with adjustable front site and 10 5/8" barrel
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

it may not be popular but its incredibly accurate and I know a few dozen deer and hogs and an a couple elk regretted its introduction
the front sites got four independently adjustable heights allowing you to accurately zero the pistol at four different ranges each of the 4 front site positions on the 10 5/8" barrel S&W is INDIVIDUALLY adjustable and the front site height can be almost instantly swapped by spinning a selector wheel in the site base
Ive got mine set on
50 yards
100 yards
150 yards
200 yards
once you site in, its dead on at the range selected, I generally leave it set at 100 yards, its close enough to be used in 90% of my shots set like that

btw
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 1.5" high at 25 yards =100 yard zero
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 3.2" high at 25 yards =150 yard zero
you can get really close by sighting in to hit 5.3" high at 25 yards =200 yard zero

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...meter-300-grain-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

20 grains of H110 and this lyman 300 grain seated just shy of cylinder length and crimp firmly
Red, check out Keith's Sixguns..He had gold inlay bars, but he also elevated the front sight based on experience..I tried using a gold maker on my front sight it worked ok, but I am not that good with a sixgun..but as Montana Marine said it is loads of fun shooting those sixguns at long range..
© 24hourcampfire