Home
Posted By: STA Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
My question is what powder to run in the 45acp with 230gr hardball? I'm looking for something that meters good and runs clean/little smoke. My friend loads with blue dot and he gets a lot of smoke I know I dont want to shoot that stuff.... Im thinking about getting 1pound of VV N340. Was told it burns clean but I dont know... Thanks..
Posted By: tmax264 Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
I shoot about 6 grains of Unique behind 230gr projectiles. Some folks say it's burns dirty but I've no complaints.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
Same here.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13

6.0 grains of Unique under a 230 grain lead bullet.

If I was shooting jacketed, I might go less. Whatever gets me to 825-850 fps.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
Skip the Vihtavouri, latest word I have, is that the plant is closing down in Finland and you won't be able to get any more.

There's a thread on saubier.com about it, with the documentation to go along.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
unique, as said.

I don't tend to see it being dirty shooting 100-200rds at a time but I'm the kinda that cleans between range sessions.
Posted By: RJM Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
I use about the same...6.0 of Unique but have also used a ton of Winchester 231...

Bob
Posted By: toad Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
Unique is my first choice, but i can't get it right now so i've used up my Red Dot (worked fine) and just scored 3# of Green Dot, which also works just fine.
I am using 5.7 of Unique. Works great for my needs.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
I have used a lot of Unique, but currently am using 5.2/HP-38. I got an 8# box for cheap, so I will use it up. It does a really good job. The load is one of Venturino's pet loads.
Posted By: s4s4u Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
I shoot 8 grains of HS-6
Posted By: ldholton Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
Either 6gr unique with powderbond plated bullets (glock) or 5.5gr 231/hp38 with hard cast
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/01/13
I use 4.5 gr of Bullseye with a 230 gr lead RN or FMJ. It burns clean with the jacketed bullets. Lead bullets make a mess whatever powder you use.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
No experience with the VV stuff; Unique is a good, but an old & dirty powder with a lot of smoke & today, there are much better choices.

Alliant PowerPistol is a good versatile choice that doesn't have too much smoke & is quite clean; good with all bullet weights.

Accurate's SOLO 10000 approximates Bullseye in burn rate but is cleaner & very low flash & smoke. Because of the low flash, I use it in SD loads.

MM

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
I use 6.5 grs Unigue under 230 gr FMJ flat points for fine utility loads in my 45 ACP's, very accurate and have never found it to be an overly dirty powder.

Gunner
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
Originally Posted by gunner500
I use 6.5 grs Unigue under 230 gr FMJ flat points for fine utility loads in my 45 ACP's, very accurate and have never found it to be an overly dirty powder.

Gunner

It's not dirty only relative to 2400..........but then again, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder. Just sayin'. laugh

MM
Posted By: STA Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
Thanks for the help! Will give Unique a go.... smile
Posted By: arkypete Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
I use which ever is cheapest at the time purchase powder, Bullseye or 231.
What's the issue with the smoke?

Jim
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
I'm mostly using Unique also. Accurate, but not as clean as my 9mm's run with Power Pistol. I'm going to try some Universal Clays.
Originally Posted by arkypete
I use which ever is cheapest at the time purchase powder, Bullseye or 231.
What's the issue with the smoke?

Jim

The smoke gets the muzzle of the gun very dirty and that crap gets in the holster plus when you shoot rapid fire you can lose sight of your target....
Clays?
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
5.0 gr of Bullseye the only way to go. Clean burning, great velocity, flawless functioning and superb accuracy. This is THE classic hardball load.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
I've been working up loads for three different .45 Autos over the past several months and Ramshot ZIP is a real winner among the newer powders.

For some reason, 5.6 grains of ZIP is the most accurate load in two different bullet weights, 200 and 230, across a few different styles - SWC, RN and plated HP. Obviously velocity is higher with the 200 grainers. It still stikes me as unusual that one charge weight works so well like that but the many groups on paper support that conclusion.

It burns about as clean as anything, at .45 Auto pressures you're going to get some soot on your action no matter what powder you use.

It does seem to be about one or two dollars cheaper than other powders which is not a deal killer but certainly a point in its favor.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
From shooting about 300 rounds at range sessions many times, both in a 45,1911 and a .357, Smith 686, The W231 burns cleaner than the Unique and Universal Clays burns cleaner than W231. If shooting cast, many time sit is the lube that gets things mucked up.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
The older formulation of Unique is what gave it the name as a dirty powder. I don't find the newer Unique dirty.

I've tried Unique in 45's but never had great luck with accuracy. I've found 800X and AA #7 to produce the best combo of accuracy and velocity with 230's. Word of caution about 800X, all charges should be weighted. It does not meter well and is not friendly to overloads.
Posted By: iblong Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
Unique and 231/hp38 are my main 45 powders.
my warm loads are always unique.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

It's not dirty only relative to 2400..........but then again, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder. Just sayin'. laugh

MM

LOL, may be cause I lite mine with a mag pistol primer, the 230's at 883 fps sure are sweet in the hand on firing.

Gunner
Posted By: Waders Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
4.6 grains of Titegroup.

Titegroup meters perfectly, is cheaper than other powders, and you use less powder per round. It's a win/win/win.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/02/13
I agree. I use Titegroup for practice/plinking loads now.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
5.0 gr of Bullseye the only way to go. Clean burning, great velocity, flawless functioning and superb accuracy. This is THE classic hardball load.

That was Col Cooper's load.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

That was Col Cooper's load.

BE is an "old" classic load, but it's far from clean compared to many of the newer powders & while it is never a bad choice it has no magic as far as performance goes.

MM
Posted By: Boococky Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I use 4.5 gr of Bullseye with a 230 gr lead RN or FMJ. It burns clean with the jacketed bullets. Lead bullets make a mess whatever powder you use.

+1
Posted By: achadwick Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
I have good results with Longshot.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
Originally Posted by Waders
4.6 grains of Titegroup.

Titegroup meters perfectly, is cheaper than other powders, and you use less powder per round. It's a win/win/win.
I gotta try that stuff. I have a pound or two..
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
I've been loading for the .45 ACP for about 50 yrs. Can't say I've tried them all, but the cleanest burning powder I've used is Ramshot's Silhouette. Their ZIP is a close second. Either are cleaner burning than Bullseye, but not by alot since the .45 ACP runs at fairly low pressures. E
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
Bullseye, Unique, No 2, Scot 453........It don't matta'. It all works good for me.

Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/03/13
I use 5.0 gr of Titegroup under a 200 gr cast bullet. A pound of powder lasts a long time, it measures very well through my Dillon and it's accurate out of all my 1911s. It also works well in 9mm and .38 SPL.
Posted By: colorado Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/04/13
I've been using AA#7 with my 45 Super loads, does Power Pistol run a lot cleaner? AA#7 is pretty dirty (I'm running 11.5g with 230g Golden Sabre's) that's a 45 SUPER load not a 45 ACP load!
Posted By: Waders Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/04/13
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Waders
4.6 grains of Titegroup.

I gotta try that stuff. I have a pound or two..

Nah, just send it to me. smile

Once you go Titegroup, you never go back!
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: Handloading 45acp? - 05/05/13
I bought a 4 lb jug of Titegroup a couple years ago, and I swear the powder gremlins fill the jug back up at night.... This is after using it for a couple of years for monthly competitions.
© 24hourcampfire