Home
Posted By: Buckeye Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
What handgun do you carry around while at home or on the farm?
And why you chose that handgun...?

Most the time I carry ,a Charter Arms 357 Mag..its light ,ported , stainless, even though its a 357 I mostly carry 38 Spl. 158 gr LSWC or 158gr.LHPSWC... I have rubber grips on it now instead of the compact wooden grips pictured.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NM_elk_chaser Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
Not to Hijack the thread, but I'm gonna a bit...

huntsman22:
Based on the pics, I'm guessing you know a bit about the Huntsman? Can I pick your brain about disassembly/reassembly? I have one where the sear fell out through the grip while field stripping per the best instructions I could find on the net. It's still a pile of parts in a Ziplock until I can figure out how to get it back together.

Back to the OP: My carry is more field than farm, but my choices are Ruger SP-101 .357 for general woods carry or Browning Buckmark for small game. Or both. Ruger for bank vault stout and reliable (although heavy). Browning for accuracy, trigger, and sights, and obviously different targets.
Let me get back to you later, I have a full plate with pheasant hunters today. Another bun was in the woodpile during chores....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byron Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
Right now it's a XDs. But could be at other times a Citadel 1911 or a Ruger Flattop 44spl.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
Originally Posted by Buckeye
What handgun do you carry around while at home or on the farm?
And why you chose that handgun...?

Most the time I carry ,a Charter Arms 357 Mag..its light ,ported , stainless, even though its a 357 I mostly carry 38 Spl. 158 gr LSWC or 158gr.LHPSWC... I have rubber grips on it now instead of the compact wooden grips pictured.

[Linked Image]
I gotta admit to not carrying much when I'm working. A gun gets in the way. When I'm riding a tractor or something I've carried a lot of things. Most recently it is usually the Smith and Wesson Governor because it's pretty versatile.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
I thinkin the Huntsman
likes shooting stuff!
Hank
Posted By: MOGC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
Originally Posted by boatboy
I thinkin the Huntsman
likes shooting stuff!
Hank

I bet he has a bunch of interesting rabbit recipes!
Nah, I've only killed 1 rabbit in my whole life. I take it outta the freezer to take pics with various pistols, whenever a thread like this pops up. Someday I may try to fry it....
Posted By: Buckeye Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
yeah....thatz a good one...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Nah, I've only killed 1 rabbit in my whole life. I take it outta the freezer to take pics with various pistols, whenever a thread like this pops up. Someday I may try to fry it....

Can still see the freezer burn on the one with the sharp pointed hair.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Work or chore gun - 05/11/13
My chore gun is usually a long gun of some sort, left in the truck or on the wheeler.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
If I'm working or doing chores I seldom want to bother with having a gun along.

But since I recently acquired a small light Ruger LCR, 22LR, I find that it's with me all the time loaded!
Posted By: EdM Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
When I am bumming the woods of north Idaho it is my old 4 5/8" Ruger flattop 44 Mag mildly loaded with 275 gr WFN's.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Usually at the ranch, I'm packing a Glock 32 Mid-size in 357 sig. It works great on feral hogs & coyotes out to 75 yards.
If I'm feeling nostalgic, it's either a Colt SAA 4 & 3/4"s in .45 colt or my favorite Ruger Flattop in .44sp. In a Old El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons holster cool
Posted By: tbear Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
At least it didn't over penetrate laugh .
Posted By: viking Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Back when I was farming, I usually had my ruger mk 2 or a super blackhawk in the truck.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
dang I can't imagine what Don must way when he's packing alla that different hardware at the same time.

course that well armed I guess he don't have to run from anything!
Posted By: TWR Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Mostly a 629 mountain gun with snake shot for snakes of course and 240 gr 44 specials for pigs, coyotes or whatever else needs shooting.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Either this

[Linked Image]

or this. But usually the latter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
3" sp101 357. Crimson trace grips and worked on by mossy creek customs. In a simply rugged silver dollar pancake I hardly know it is there. Depending on what time of year I usually have 2 snake shot and 3 hollow points with a speed strip in my pocket of 2/4 of same
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Usually. This glock 22 with TFO sights
][Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

Lately though its been on the fourwheeler

][Linked Image]

The glock is usually loaded with 155 grain speer gold dots
But i usually have a magazine loaded with snake shot along too

The ruger so far has been loaded with 240 grain american eagle hollow points until i get set up to reload for it
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
3" sp101 357. Crimson trace grips and worked on by mossy creek customs. In a simply rugged silver dollar pancake I hardly know it is there. Depending on what time of year I usually have 2 snake shot and 3 hollow points with a speed strip in my pocket of 2/4 of same

Good choice...pretty dang close to mine. 4.2 SP101 in .357, Simply Rugged Silver Dollar. 2 speed loaders in a carrier, loaded with 2 shot up front followed by 3 xtp's. Hogue grips right now but plan on some crimson trace soon. Sometimes it gets used for fun as well as chores!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
S&W 642
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
I just pocked up one of those 642 smiths. Scott. Really like it so far
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Work or chore gun - 05/12/13
I wouldn't mind a 3" J frame.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Is that an old clip grip or is someone still making them?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yea i know what you mean i wouldnt mind a 3 inch model 60

Im also looking for a heavy barreled model 10 just for nostalgia. Thats what intrained on in the academy

Im also thinking about a set of wooden grips for my 642
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
DeSantis Clip Grip. I seldom wear a belt so it works well for me.

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor.../inside-the-waistband-holsters/clip-grip
Posted By: Notropis Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
329 S&W in a cross draw Simply Rugged Pancake.

I load only one shot cartridge during summer and realize that I need to shoot it first if something big comes along that needs a solid. I shot a couple of moderate reloads with some live shot rounds still in the cylinder and had the revolver lock up when the capsules pulled part way out of the cases.

A shot cartridge does not have enough recoil to pull the capsule out of another shot cartridge, but I don't want to have to fire two shot rounds before I get to a solid if a coyote offers a quick shot.
Posted By: Buckeye Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
My S&W 642 is my most carried gun...stagger loaded with 148 gr LHBWC loaded upside down followed by 148gr. LWC .then vice a versa ect.... stuff in my pocket holster ...and into my pocket..
[Linked Image]
one good thing about being sick and losing 36lb.s , your pants are baggy and I now carry my Charter arms Bulldog in 44 Spl. in my pocket !!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
either this mountain gun 45 colt

[Linked Image]

or this glock 22
[Linked Image]

Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I've had a few different hand guns thru the years but think i have found my last in my SP101. At least for my needs it is a fantastic all around handgun
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Good choice...pretty dang close to mine. 4.2 SP101 in .357, Simply Rugged Silver Dollar. 2 speed loaders in a carrier, loaded with 2 shot up front followed by 3 xtp's. Hogue grips right now but plan on some crimson trace soon. Sometimes it gets used for fun as well as chores!

How do you like the 4.2"?

I am a fan of the crimson trace grips. Have been resisting the urge to have my frame and cylinder cerakoated
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
When I go afield, I almost always carry a Rossi 518 (22LR), Rossi 515 (22Mag), Rossi 720 (44Spl), or S&W 2206. The Rossi 515 and 720 get carried the most, 'cause the 22 Mag and 44 Spl cartridges are more useful to me than a 22 LR. The S&W 422/622/2206 are nice flat carries, but I find the 422/622 too light to shoot as accurately as the heavier 2206. The 2206 is by far my favorite RF semi-auto field carry, but if I was going to climb alot, which at my age I'm not, I'd probably opt for a 622 and use my walking stick for a rest.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by rockchucker

[Linked Image]

I sure like that one.
Posted By: cobrad Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Depends on where I'm headin'. Usually it's a S&W 642, sometimes the S&W 1911, but if concealment isn't going to be an issue, the FA 83 .454.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13

[Linked Image]
That's a really cool pic. Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13

I am a fan of the crimson trace grips. Have been resisting the urge to have my frame and cylinder cerakoated

I like it a lot. The size is perfect, really like the sights, had to change the grip out, trigger is heavy/rough...but it's a Ruger. Picked up a .22 in the same model a couple of weeks ago. Only had it out a couple of times to kill cans. It could use some smoothing up as well, but aside from that (and the small grip) I'm liking it.

Did you get the larger LG303 grips on yours or the smaller boot type grip? I'd thought about cerakote as well, but really like the smooth stainless finish they use. So far it's seen a lot of sweat and hasn't rusted.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

[Linked Image]
That's a really cool pic. Thanks for sharing it.

It's one of my favorites. My wife says she isn't sure if she should call it the "Master Blaster" or "Master Caster" pic.

Another one I'm partial to...it's in this pic as well, but the flannel covers it:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
I don't carry much around the place. The dogs keep the critters pretty much in check (i.e. dead) and if they only tree em or get em bayed up I have plenty of time to go get something. Nine times outta 10 it's been this and if I do carry around the place it gets top nod:
[Linked Image]

Although my newish Ruger MKIII slabside 22/45 is patiently waiting in the wings.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
This Taurus 441, .44 Special usually gets the call. I like the medium frame and the large bore means more shot in my snake loads. Not my first pick in brand name, but it's been running strong for the few years I've owned it and I really can't complain much.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Work or chore gun - 05/13/13
I feel that same way about my Rossi 720s for the same reasons. It isn't "PC" to like DA revolvers made by Rossi or Taurus, 'cause they weren't made by S&W, but I like the Rossi 720s better than the similar, but much more expensive, S&W 696. While I've yet to lose a firearm when I've been afield, I think that I'd have less heartburn losing a $300 Rossi than if I was to lose a $600 S&W.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by rockchucker

[Linked Image]

I sure like that one.

I always knew you had good taste
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13

Another one I'm partial to...it's in this pic as well, but the flannel covers it:

[Linked Image]

Great pic smile
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
This one was out on chores this past weekend:

[Linked Image]

It's dropped one hog, and I expect would deal with anything that's likely to bother me.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I feel that same way about my Rossi 720s for the same reasons. It isn't "PC" to like DA revolvers made by Rossi or Taurus, 'cause they weren't made by S&W, but I like the Rossi 720s better than the similar, but much more expensive, S&W 696. While I've yet to lose a firearm when I've been afield, I think that I'd have less heartburn losing a $300 Rossi than if I was to lose a $600 S&W.

Haven't handled a Rossi, so can't comment on them, but I've heard decent reviews on 'em. With the 441, other than cylinder lock up being just a bit looser than my Smith 581, it has treated me pretty well. Well enough that when another 5 shot .44 special Taurus came along, this 431, I jumped on it. This one is a bit tighter in lock up, has a 3" barrel and fixed sights.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I usually like revolvers with 4"+ of barrel, but this "chubby snubbie" is really growing on me. cool
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
Glock 20SF with TFO sights in a Crossbreed holster loaded with 180gr Buffalo Bore bonded HP's.
Posted By: LarryfromBend Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
If I'm right around the buildings; probably this BearCat. Right now the first 3 chambers have Snake Shot in them.
[Linked Image]

If I'm further away on a 4 Wheeler or horse; this 44 Special.
[Linked Image]
If I want something lighter than the .44, I'll take this Model 60.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
I carry my .45 colt bisley blackhawk.

Around the house and barn could mean anything up to grizzly bear.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/14/13
Sig P 226 in 40 S&W or my stainless 45 ACP Springfield TM.

Gunner
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Work or chore gun - 05/15/13
An old snub nosed model 60, normally stuck in a workpants pocket. Sometime in a small belt holster, but the pocket carries better and the gun gets banged up less while doing various chores. Chores are normally clearing, repairing, and installing fencing, posting, felling and cutting up trees, tearing down and building barns, roofing, painting, running cattle through chutes, inoculations, etc. A larger gun may be in the truck, but whenever I carry anything much larger than a pocket pistol on my person, it gets beaten up pretty badly as it is always banging into stuff. If I replace the model 60, it'll probably be with a similar sized Ruger as I find them heaps more utilitarian.

edit to add:

rubber grips are PITA frown They cause the gun to hang in the pocket and they rapidly wear the crap out of your jacket and coat liners if in a holster. Ruined my favorite chore coat in less than one season from rubber grips on my model 60 when carried in a belt holster while working chores. I now have wood grips which work perfect, even when wearing gloves.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Work or chore gun - 05/15/13

I like it a lot. The size is perfect, really like the sights, had to change the grip out, trigger is heavy/rough...but it's a Ruger. Picked up a .22 in the same model a couple of weeks ago. Only had it out a couple of times to kill cans. It could use some smoothing up as well, but aside from that (and the small grip) I'm liking it.

Did you get the larger LG303 grips on yours or the smaller boot type grip? I'd thought about cerakote as well, but really like the smooth stainless finish they use. So far it's seen a lot of sweat and hasn't rusted.

I got the larger grips. Mossy creek customs did a nice job smoothing the action and also bead blasted it so it is a little more of a matte finish now. It was pricey though especially after you pat ahipping both ways. Have not had any rust problems. Also replaced factory front sight with an XS big dot
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Work or chore gun - 05/15/13
Thanks!
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Work or chore gun - 05/16/13
When I am working around the house I most often carry a Ruger MK I .22. While it has happened, the chances of seeing a hog or deer in the yard are minimal and most often it is a rabbit, squirrel or snake that is the target.

If I go a bit farther in the woods out back I will most likely carry an "in-between" round such as the .32-20 or .38 Spl. in a single-action. The main targets will still be small game, but the odds of encountering larger animals is increased. These heavier rounds will cleanly take edible small game without excessive meat distruction, but also take larger animals if placed properly.

When I actually go into the river bottom or deep woods, I will most likely have a single-action in .45 Colt or a semi-auto in 10mm or .45ACP. The likelyhood of walking up on a hog is increased to the point that I go prepared for such an encounter. I can still take smaller game but shots have to be very precise (head shots).

When I "know" I will be shooting hogs or deer....I will have a single-action in .44 Magnum or the 10mm with me. Neither is really a good small game round, but then again I am not expecting small game to be on the menu.

So, a good working or chore gun depends from day-to-day. You have to think ahead and plan for the most likely encounter. If I had to pick just one gun for general use it would be one of the "in-between" calibers.......which is why I am wearing a single-action in .32-20 as I type this.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Work or chore gun - 05/16/13
The only chores I have to do are pretty much limited to taking the garbage out to the end of the driveway. One advantage to living alone in a small second floor apartment. The landlord does all the 'chores' around the house, because he wants to. Ok by me. It's a residential neighborhood so walking around with a gun on my hip would have the cops there in about 10 minutes. I work at a small liberal arts college, so that leaves that out too. Not much opportunity to carry a gun here (or anywhere else in this state for that matter). When I get out to the mountains for a weekend of hunting/fishing I strap on my Woodsman every chance I get. The rest of the time I really don't mind not being able to.

I keep a Walther PP handy if I need something quick to drop in a coat pocket. (So far I haven't.)

Having lived in very rural PA for about half of my life, I carried a Colt Police Positive Special .32 a lot, and the Woodsman of course. A S&W Kit Gun went with me on a lot of long walks in the woods around my house, too.
Posted By: iblong Re: Work or chore gun - 05/16/13
For years it was allways a 586 4"L frame or a 1911,guess Im getting lazy the older I get.I moastly carry my G19 and since its getting warm Ive been using the XDS 45 a bit.
Biggest danger around my place are two legged critters.
We have coyotes,black bears,once in a while a wolf.
Mostly the bears beat feet when you run into them.
Just inside the patio door is a 10/22 and a Minni 14 for dispaching critters large and small.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Work or chore gun - 05/17/13
Huntsman -

Let me know if you need help with the bunny infestation - or p-dogs or coyotes or whatever.

Always glad to lend a hand!

Top two for play/hunting, the bottom three for CCW:
[Linked Image]

From top to bottom:
Hunting (.44Mag)
Hunting and play (.357 Mag)
Wife's for play (.22LR/.22WM)
Wife's for home defense (.327 Fed)
[Linked Image]

For CCW:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Work or chore gun - 05/17/13
Glock 30SF pretty much for everything. Sometimes I put Buffalo Bore 255 grain +P hard cast in it for dinking around in the mountains. I am tempted to give the Sprinfield XDS a tryout.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Work or chore gun - 05/18/13
lately I've been packing my Beretta 84.

With 14 rounds of Speer .380 GoldDots.

AND a .45 Trapper carbine, Been several sightings of Cougar in my neighborhood.

Virgil B.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Work or chore gun - 05/22/13
It's either one of these.

[Linked Image]

The Citadel 45 ACP Compact or the pre lock S&W "J" Frame 38 spl.

But I've also been known to carry either one of these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Taurus PT-709 Slim 9mm or an Astra 300 Thunder 380 ACP. The Wife's CCW is a Taurus Ultralite 38 spl.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bhemry Re: Work or chore gun - 05/22/13
LarryfromBend, how did you wind up with a S&W 60 with those sights?
If I want something lighter than the .44, I'll take this Model 60. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LarryfromBend Re: Work or chore gun - 05/22/13
Originally Posted by bhemry
LarryfromBend, how did you wind up with a S&W 60 with those sights?
If I want something lighter than the .44, I'll take this Model 60. [Linked Image]

In 1985, S&W made up 600 or so for a company called Ashland. I saw the ad in Shotgun News and bought this one.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
Sweet. grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
what? no trh post? shocked mine would be a chore gun....just an old Mod 63 Smith...ask frogman
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
Work guns

glock 21 45

Glock 30 (back up, off duty)

Rock river arms lar 15

Remington 870

These are in the patrol car with me every day.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
you stalking me bish? whistle
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
Originally Posted by eh76
what? no trh post? shocked mine would be a chore gun....just an old Mod 63 Smith...ask frogman

Yea, I've seen some of the "chores" you've done.......I don't believe that Skunk even knew what hit it! LOL
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13

Maybe... What you gonna do bout it Willis
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
Guns scare me.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Work or chore gun - 05/23/13
I can think of a couple that scare me, now...
I thought about putting a number on it, but decided against it.
If my thumb will fit inside the muzzle, I'll pass on shooting it. crazy
I still have a picture of an 8 bore on my cell phone. I made myself conspicuously absent when that thing was speaking.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I still have a picture of an 8 bore on my cell phone. I made myself conspicuously absent when that thing was speaking.

The 8 bore was only medium painful to shoot. The .577 loosened some teeth.
Every man has a limit, and I got a good grasp on mine...
I had to find mine, and I found it smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/24/13
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Maybe... What you gonna do bout it Willis

Arnold I'll take ya huntin grizzle bears.... whistle
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/24/13
Ok. But if we go.....i get to be the husband, cause givin aint gay... whistle
Posted By: eh76 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/24/13
perish the thought....we ain't in montucky...we don't plat the bbm game...........you'll just have to wear the bacon grease coated coat laugh
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Work or chore gun - 05/24/13
perish the thought....we ain't in montucky...we don't plat the bbm game...........you'll just have to wear the bacon grease coated coat laugh

Lol. That mean you're be wearing the turban??
© 24hourcampfire