Home
I have ordered some of these capsules but wanted to hear from those that have used them how to use them and what the experiences are.

Is the white cap loaded up or down in the case?....what powder charge did you use?

Any other tricks to consider?
white cap inside the case. Just enough crimp to straighten the case square.
I have used 6 gr Uniquie. That's a pretty hot bang and spreads the shot nicley.
I've even shot skeet with my Blackhawk.
In a .357 I've used 5 gr of Blue Dot. I've only tested it at 10 feet and it was right on sight there with a perfect spread in several different barrel lengths. Killed several snakes and lots of big rats using #8 because that was what I had...lighter might be better, but I can't complain about the 8's.
Although I have not tried to reload the shot capsules, the factory CCI/Speer .38 shot loads work just fine:

[Linked Image]

The shot capsules come with suggested load data and I would not try to hotrod them. I believe the factory loads use #9 shot.
The smaller the shot the better.

Put a dab of Super Glue on the capsule to hold it in place in the case as you can't really depend on the crimp and they will jump forward after multiple shots.

I've found that a slight reduction in the suggested max loads improves pattern. YMMV
I have loaded them for a .44 Special. Took apart a box of #9 Skeet loads and filled the capsules with them. The shot spread at 10 feet worked out just fine. I have no experience with the .38 special version.
I have made them in .38/.357, 44special, .45colt. Venturino had a good article a few years ago on it. I ordered no 12 shot on line to get a denser pattern. Current project one of these days is to make brass .410 shotshells.
the pistol stuff is not real tuff if you think about it.
One of the atvantage of rolling your own is to use that 12shot, which cci and the others forgo for a heavier pellet.
Come to think of it add to the list .45acp made out of .308 casings if i remember right.
Several good threads here in the past couple of years if you do a search.
Wheres a good place to get the shot capsules?
Originally Posted by saddlering
Wheres a good place to get the shot capsules?

Midwayusa.com

search for shot capsules
I use #12 shot. You can order online from Ballistic Products. The patterns I get with #12 are much more dense than you get with #8 and #9 shot, and they splatter fruit and tree-rat heads just fine at distances out to 7-8 yards or so.
I also use #12 shot in .38/.357, .44 and .45 Colt shot capsules. I use a lot of Titegroup in .45 acp reloading and always have a bunch of it on hand. About 3.5 gr in the .38.
© 24hourcampfire