Home
Posted By: L_Killkenny 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/05/13
Had my crazy thought for the week last night. Thinkin of trading my 4" Security Six for a 4" SP. I shoot the SS well, I like the accuracy and like it's worked over trigger but for every day crap I'm thinkin I might like the size/feel of the SP better. My quandry...... I have/will/do use the SS for deer hunting where it's plus' might trump those of the SP. In short I'm worried the accuracy and trigger of the SP will leave me greatly disappointed. The trigger on the SP I have shot a few times was atrocious by comparison.

What say you?

(BTW, accuracy of the SS is as good as some rifles I've shot. Albeit not rifles that I would call accurate.)
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/05/13
I carry a 4.2" SP101 around the farm. Great little gun for that use. I've carried it quite a bit during bow season with shot capsules when it's still warm enough for snakes, but I've never hunted with it at a primary. It's fairly accurate, though I've not tried to rest it much....but the trigger is rough as a cobb....no doubt about it. I'd check into a trigger job before I'd hunt with it as a primary.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/05/13
The Security Six is a much better gun than the SP. Keep it
Posted By: s4s4u Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/06/13
The single action trigger of my SP is not bad. The 357 is adequate for deer out to 50 yards + or -. If you can hit 'em in a good spot they will go down.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/06/13
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer with a 4 inch 357 Mag . 4 inch is my preferred barrel length on a hunting pistol
Do what any good "gun loonie" would do...

Get the SP101 to go with the Security Six!

The trigger spring can be replaced in the SP101, which will help the single action pull a bunch,

Virgil B.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/06/13
My SP101 has a very smooth double action trigger and a good single action trigger, as I recall. I haven't seen it for several years. My brother took a shine to it, borrowed it for a CCW piece and I haven't seen it since.
Posted By: TMan Re: 4" SP101 for hunting? - 06/06/13
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Get the SP101 to go with the Security Six!

The trigger spring can be replaced in the SP101, which will help the single action pull a bunch,

Goes without sayin'.

My Security Six turned into a Blackhawk a long time ago. It was a nice gun, and I do not regret the trade, as I was cash limited in those days. The BH is easier to shoot well with. I bought the SP101 because I just liked it.

It is quite accurate, and would certainly be adequate enough for anything you might want to shoot with a .357, but really powerful loads with heavy bullets are not a lot of fun. It's much nicer in a holster than a BH. +/-/+/-?
© 24hourcampfire