Home
My Browning has the factory wooden grips which I would like to replace with something akin to the old black bakerlite style.

I was thinking of the black G10 versions but also notice that Hogue do a black wrap around with finger groves?

So what are the pro's and cons of the various after market synthetic grips?

If folks have pictures of their Hi Powers dressed with new grips, I'd be most interested to see them.

I should add, I do not want any sort of wooden grips, nor any grip that looks like it belongs to a Harlem pimp!

Regards

Peter
Originally Posted by Pete E
My Browning has the factory wooden grips which I would like to replace with something akin to the old black bakerlite style.

I was thinking of the black G10 versions but also notice that Hogue do a black wrap around with finger groves?

If folks have pictures of their Hi Powers dressed with new grips, I'd be most interested to see them.

I should add, I do not want any sort of wooden grips, nor any grip that looks like it belongs to a Harlem pimp!

Regards

Peter
Get the delrin versions since you don't want wood. http://www.craigspegel.com/

Uncle Mike's used to produce a a rubber version of Spegel's boot grip for the Hi Power for about half of what Spegel charged, but these have since been discontinued and people are paying more for these than actual Spegels cost.
Bricktop beat me to it. Spegels are very slim, and both look and feel very nice on a Hi Power.
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Uncle Mike's used to produce a a rubber version of Spegel's boot grip for the Hi Power for about half of what Spegel charged, but these have since been discontinued and people are paying more for these than actual Spegels cost.

Does Spegel still make them in delrin as I can only see various types of wood listed on his website?

Re the Hogue, I assume the ones you are talking about are not the ones below?

[Linked Image]

Does Spegel still make them in delrin as I can only see various types of wood listed on his website?

Re the Hogue, I assume the ones you are talking about are not the ones below?

[Linked Image]
There is a picture of a pair of delrin HP grips in a group photo near the bottom of the page. Call and ask or send him an email to verify.

When and where did "Hogue" enter the discussion?

Uncle Mike's -- later Butler Creek -- at one time licensed the manufacture of Spegel grips. Like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncle-M...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I couldn't give a [bleep] less about what Hogue is making at the moment.

Regards

Peter

What Bricktop said, Speggel�s are THE way to go. NOTHING feels like a Hi Power with Spegel grips. I promise you that you won�t regret buying the Spegels.

Spegel makes the Delrin grips every now and again. If you have to wait, then I�d say just wait it out; it will be worth the wait. When was the last time you regretted buying the best?

The other option is to find a set of the Uncle Mikes that Brick mentioned, but understand the Uncle Mikes are considerably thicker than Spegels, but have the same general subtle palmswell shape; they feel good. But only get the Uncle Mikes if you absolutely can�t get the Spegels.

Regards

Peter

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/hi-power

[Linked Image]

I believe these are uncle mikes...but it's been nearly 15 years since I put them on.
I have a pair of thin black micarta's that ,I believe, came from Brownells. They are fully checkered. They are by Navridex, but just looked and they are discontinued. I like them very much.
I have a pair of Hogue's Kingswood grips on mine. I like them a lot!

When and where did "Hogue" enter into the discussion?

I couldn't give a [bleep] less about what Hogue is making at the moment.

Sorry, brian fart on my behalf! Had been looking at their rubber grips on ebay!

I will contact Mr Spegal and see what he has to say..

Regards,

Peter
Never did like the Hogue�s with the wrap around finger grooves on a Hi Power. Seems like Hogue took a design criteria of trying to ruin the ergonomics of the gun. Blocky, and bulky is how best to describe the Hogue.
Go here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=379405

Scroll a little ways down until you find the photo of the backstrap of the gun with Spegel grips; then you can see the subtle palmswell shape of the Spegel that makes them feel so fantastic. That's the magic.
Just from my own edification, you can have a Hi Power in Britain?
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm

Its not easy, with lots of red tape, but for certain limited applications, yes...

There was a general ban on the legal ownership of pistols for sporting purposes some years ago, but there are limited exceptions to that ban..

Basically, you have to apply to your local Police Force for permission to own a pistol, and each aplication is considered on merit.

Unforetunately, although the law is the same across England and Wales, different Police Forces enforce it somewhat differently, so such applications are not dealt with as consistantly as they should be..

Similarly, at the other end of the scale, and again with a degree of paperwork/red tape, we can also own and shoot .50 cal Barrets..

Compared to the States, shooting is wrapped in a huge amount of red tape over here, but its still fast growing sport..
The Hogue grips I have are made from Kingswood and do not have any type of finger grooves (like the rubber ones). They are flat panels with a slight palmswell.
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
When you're as cool as Pete, the rules just don't apply wink
Originally Posted by jstall
The Houge grips I have are made from Kingswood and do not have any type of finger grooves (like the rubber ones). They are flat panels with a slight palmswell.
I would love to see a photo of the new Hogue's from the back (looking at the backstrap of the frame) to see the profile of the palmswell.
I'll take a picture when I get home. I'm pretty sure they have some palm swell. They definitely don't have finger grooves.
Got a set of VZ grips on mine. Feel and fit great. Wish I picked a different color though. Will post a pic. Tonight
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] I guess they don't have much in the way of palm swells, but they fit nice!
FWIW Hogue works for me due to my hand size and I like them. Many fine wood and synthetic grips out there but go with what you like and works for you.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire