Home
There's one for sale on GB now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=355999735

I have the exact same gun and love it. This is pre-lock and you don't see many -4s for sale.

Eric
That is a nice specimen.
I'll be posting one on here in the next couple of weeks.
I had to part the Red Sea to get mine into CA but it was worth it. smile

Eric

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Eric
Yes you did, Eric
Those are sweet revolvers, especially the -4s.
Around here 629-3 and -4 will sell for $750 - $800 easily.
Maybe more on a good day.
glad I don't live in a peoples republic....
I've had three of the 629s. Two Mountain Revolvers and I think a -5. Traded one of the MRs to a friend and sold the other just keeping the -5 as it was a match to the 657 and 625 MGs I have...

[Linked Image]

The one on auction looks like it has been polished on quite a bit. Also the original S&W marked Hogue grips have been replaced with stock Hogues. Most in this condition don't bring much over $800 if that...

I bought mine for only one reason...was so impressed by the Speer .44 Magnum 200 grain Gold Dot HP Short Barrel load that runs a 200 grain made for the .44 Special bullet at 1080 fps that I wanted a gun to shoot them in...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM

The one on auction looks like it has been polished on quite a bit.
Bob

That's an understatement. The markings are almost polished off. You really need to work to remove enough steel to polish off the "Marcas Registradas" on the right side of the frame and that gun is most of the way there.
I agree, I'm not a fan of the over-polishing.
Nice piece. I am a fan of the earlier P & R'd ones. Realize the -4's have the full Endurance package but my Smith's don't see more than 1200 fps w/ cast 270's so all is good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wonder what the reserve was ?
I shot one out. It was a sweet revolver. took to twice to thunder ranch and to several training schools. Sold it when it went "out of time".

Should get another.

N<T
Unlike the die rollstamp engraving used on S&W revolvers for years the laser engraving on that series of S&W revolvers is very easily polished off... I have seen several that had no markings at all on them...

Nice one...but expensive....-2 Mountain Revolver...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=356520155

Bob
-2 doesn't have the endurance package. I believe they start with -4. Anyone know if that includes the standard 629. I have a -5 in that. Prefer the firing pin on the hammer which stops at -4 but couldn't pass it up.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
-2 doesn't have the endurance package. I believe they start with -4. Anyone know if that includes the standard 629. I have a -5 in that. Prefer the firing pin on the hammer which stops at -4 but couldn't pass it up.

The endurance package started with the 629-3. Like you, I also prefer the firing pin on the hammer. Always kinda looked like a snake about to bite. grin
Mine is a 629-5. Bought it from a dealer in Miami in the summer of 2001. Paid $595 plus tax. Checked the log, and dang it, I've not shot it in over two years now.
Guess I need to take it out of the safe more.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire