Home
I'll start with one of my PC (10-round mags) FM Hi-Power. It's a little embarrassing - but I just picked it up, and haven't gathered any normal mags for it yet. A better safety lever is on order too.

[Linked Image]

Should be pretty easy for you guys to top that...
Good looking pistol -
I have a couple Hi-Powers, an FEG PJK (9MM) and an F.N. (40 S&W)
But have know idea how to post pics.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I'll start with one of my PC (10-round mags) FM Hi-Power. It's a little embarrassing - but I just picked it up, and haven't gathered any normal mags for it yet. A better safety lever is on order too.

[Linked Image]

Should be pretty easy for you guys to top that...
I'll bet she shoots rather straight too. Congrats sir!!
Thanks, Kevin.

So - come on guys. I want to see some Novak sights and Spegel grips! Maybe some hard chrome.

I bet if I asked for photos of modified Glocks, there would already be a full page. whistle
If I posted mine, you wouldn't see any Novak sights, Spegel grips or hard chome.
[Linked Image]
Mine, with it's safe mates...
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
If I posted mine, you wouldn't see any Novak sights, Spegel grips or hard chome.

I'm sure it would be very good. Probably better than my midnight spelling. wink
Nice grips, Jstall. What are they, exactly?
Those are Houge Kingswood grips.
In CDNN's latest catalog under GRIPS they are listing ...

- BROWNING HI-POWER
- HERROT
- COCO BOLO
- finely checkered, high quality
- $34.99

These grips have been listed for some time, but do not appear on their current website.
If they still have any available - I'll order a pair.
-
Also a MEGGAR, BHP, 9MM, blue, flush fit, 13 rnd magazine - $22.99
And a BHP, plus-capacity 20 rnd, extended magazine - $28.99
Hard chrome, Spegels , but no Novaks. A nice eatng little 7 pointer though. 135 gr. Hornaday Hydroshok if anyone is interested
[Linked Image]
Nice! I like those two-tone H-P's. When I had the Silver-Chrome, I always wished it was a Practical.

Nice shooting too, BTW.
Don't own a Hi-Power yet. But sure have it on the top of my To-Buy list. Hope to make it my next pistol. Really like the P35 and Captain models. Keep the pics coming guys. I need ideas.
MK III Forged Frame, Spegels

[Linked Image]
1989 vintage FN Belgium made hi power. was an Israeli police force gun. Sent it to Karl Sokal of chestnut mountain sports in Vermont for a little work. Novaks, tune up, trigger job, cerakoted, VZ grips, steepling, mag disconnect removed, positive safety engagement on the ambi safety ( im a lefty )hammer modified.

Best feeling and fitting pistol in the world.

before:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

after

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
No Novaks or Spegels...
[Linked Image]
Davidsons monkey grips I just put on mine

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Yoder409
[Linked Image]

Ooh! Twist the knife! Not one of my finer moments, selling my Silver-Chrome.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

I'll bet she shoots rather straight too.

Yep. It's a straight-shooter. The new Mec-Gar 15-round mag works good too. Ran about 150 hp rounds through it yesterday with no failures, and killed a lot of clay pigeons. Haven't put it on paper yet, but I think that's going to look pretty good when I do.
Had the pleasure of shooting eh76's Highpower 40 at Quemado. It sure was sweet.
Sorry...no pics.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
[Linked Image]

Ooh! Twist the knife! Not one of my finer moments, selling my Silver-Chrome.

Sorry to stir not-so-fond memories.

This is the first gun my wife ever bought me. Wouldn't part with it short of two empty mags and having it pried from my cold fingers.

I couldn't believe how hard it is to get a currently stock Hi-Power safety lever! (Back-ordered indefinitely frown ) I finally broke down and got the Cylinder & Slide version. It was almost a perfect fit - just a little "adjustment" of the detent. Definitely mo-betta!

Ditched the thick factory grips and went with some cheap Hogues for now. They are slimmer for sure, but something nicer will come along.

Still debating whether I will ditch the mag disconnect.

[Linked Image]
Somehow I missed this thread originally....

40 S&W no snazzy grips..just functional ...internals gone through by Wilson Combat with a few minor changes.

[Linked Image]
Always liked them though never owned one.

Frank Serpico's choice. Bought his from John Jovino gun shop in Little Italy NYC. It is the oldest gun retailer in New York City
Originally Posted by rockchucker
1989 vintage FN Belgium made hi power. was an Israeli police force gun. Sent it to Karl Sokal of chestnut mountain sports in Vermont for a little work. Novaks, tune up, trigger job, cerakoted, VZ grips, steepling, mag disconnect removed, positive safety engagement on the ambi safety ( im a lefty )hammer modified.

Best feeling and fitting pistol in the world.

before:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

after

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Even with my little bitty hands, the P35 is one of the best feeling handguns ever made.

Yours is a gorgeous example of fine pistol smithing.
Nicest looking, fitting pistol I have ever held and owned.
Bought mine in the early 70s before Germany floated the mark. I paid $175 for it with a holster and a box of ammo!
another sold for food $$ ...for $350.
I sent it back to Browning for a trigger job. Gratis.
great gun!

I carried it for 15 18 years. Still miss it.
I like BHPs, too.
Bob

'89 Forged-frame with a few mods
[Linked Image]

'67 T series Israeli that's been re-parked. Probably my favorite
[Linked Image]

Early 50's German police issue in minty shape
[Linked Image]

Don Williams tuned Practical
[Linked Image]

FN Belgian Police Alloy
[Linked Image]

'85 MK II Belgian
[Linked Image]

'71 T-series military contract
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/RobertOIF2/DSC_1882_zps73358e2f.jpg[/img]

A couple of nice Ts. Bottom ('67) is unfired, with pouch and instruction manual
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/RobertOIF2/DSC_1773.jpg[/img]
Sweet collection, RGK.
[Linked Image]

The first handgun I ever bought was just like that one. I had it about 2 years but traded it towards a Gold Cup. Wish I still had it.
That's what I'm talkin' about, RGK!

I especially like the Practical.
Originally Posted by eh76
Somehow I missed this thread originally....

40 S&W no snazzy grips..just functional ...internals gone through by Wilson Combat with a few minor changes.

[Linked Image]

Had the opportunity to shoot this a Quemado...very nice.
Originally Posted by Hound_va
No Novaks or Spegels...
[Linked Image]

That one is more special than you're letting on.
RGK - Question. You said, '89 forged frame. I wasn't aware they forged any frames that late. How do you know it's forged? Lack of serrations at the mag well?
No Novaks or Spegels...
[Linked Image]
I would love to see more pics and hear more about that pistol.

I'm seeing a custom barrel bushing, and I know I've seen that barrel bushing before; I remember the set screw. Squared trigger guard with 40 lpi checkering on the trigger guard and front strap of the gun. I recognize the grips but the maker's name is escaping me, and it looks like someone made a new paddle for the crimped on ambi thumb safety. S&W rear sight...

Man seems like I've seen that pistol before? I think I saw one just like that on Bill Laughridge's table at the Shot Show about a decade ago, maybe a little more...Is it a C&S gun? It's not an Austin Behlert gun; I'd recognize that.
Forged-frame BHPs were made up until, I think, '90 or '91. These were MK IIIs, as well as the late MK IIs. The best way to tell for sure it's a cast-frame pistol is to look inside the mag well...all the cast ones will have a casting mark(s) on the inside the magazine well. No marks on the forged guns. The grooves on the butt aren't a totally reliable indicator of a cast frame. The casting mark is.
Bob
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
No Novaks or Spegels...
[Linked Image]
I would love to see more pics and hear more about that pistol.

I'm seeing a custom barrel bushing, and I know I've seen that barrel bushing before; I remember the set screw. Squared trigger guard with 40 lpi checkering on the trigger guard and front strap of the gun. I recognize the grips but the maker's name is escaping me, and it looks like someone made a new paddle for the crimped on ambi thumb safety. S&W rear sight...

Man seems like I've seen that pistol before? I think I saw one just like that on Bill Laughridge's table at the Shot Show about a decade ago, maybe a little more...Is it a C&S gun? It's not an Austin Behlert gun; I'd recognize that.

I would bet that it's a Jim Hoag gun. Looks like his bushing and checkering. He also inlet the S&W rear sight slightly into the slide like that, instead of mounting it directly on the rear of the slide.
Bob
Jim Hoag, yep that's...So maybe it was at Hoag's table is where I saw it. Good catch. If its not Hoag, I'll be surprised.
Nuthin really special about this HP, except it's mine. Argentine FM from the late 60s that's been worked on by me. Stippling, parkerizing and peened the frame rails. Reduced the groups from 5"s to 2"s at 25 yards. She's not photogenic, but she carries well.

[Linked Image]
Nuthin really special about this HP, except it's mine. Argentine FM from the late 60s that's been worked on by me. Stippling, parkerizing and peened the frame rails. Reduced the groups from 5"s to 2"s at 25 yards. She's not photogenic, but she carries well.

[Linked Image]

Not photogenic? I beg to differ!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FM with the worst "polishing" I've ever seen...needs a lot of TLC to look good, shoots fine just UGHLY! laugh

Mike
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image]

Had that one's twin when I was in college. Girl paid for it as a birthday gift. Wish I still had the Browning.
Nice looking rigs fellas, i could never warm up to a high power. Every time I pick one up i hear Tommy Lee Jones' voice saying "sissy pistol"
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Nice looking rigs fellas, i could never warm up to a high power. Every time I pick one up i hear Tommy Lee Jones' voice saying "sissy pistol"

That 40 of mine with Speer 155 gr Gold Dot hollow points is pretty snappy. Sissy pistol? I think not. laugh
Ok, you get a pass because it's a 40 and you carry kick azz ammo in it
RGK is spot on as it was done by Jim Hoag.

A Hi-Power reminds you of a Taurus 945? Not even close...
So the most successful pistol in the history of handguns is a "sissy pistol?".
I always thought the sissies were the ones averse to carrying a little weight. A plastic pistol makes perfect sense if you already have 10 lbs of other gear hangin' off your belt - but for the rest of us you, it's just....well....effeminate. smirk
It's not so much the 10 pounds of gear hanging off one's belt, but the 40 pounds of fat hanging over one's belt.

It's not so much the 10 pounds of gear hanging off one's belt, but the 40 pounds of fat hanging over one's belt.

Dan - you shouldn't talk about Gitem that way. grin

IIRC TLJ was VP Al Gore's room mate in college. Maybe the 'sissy pistol' comment was referring to something altogether different with a lavendar tint.
Selling my hi-power for a glock was the dumbest think I have ever done regarding guns. I thought the glock was better for comp shooting because magazines were cheaper to get and held more ammo.
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Selling my hi-power for a glock was the dumbest think I have ever done regarding guns. I thought the glock was better for comp shooting because magazines were cheaper to get and held more ammo.
Do a trigger job on a Hi Power and install Spegel grips and you'll see what a magnificent gun the Hi Power really is.
I have been looking into replacing the Hogue grips I have been using but why Spegel grips?
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Do a trigger job on a Hi Power and install Spegel grips and you'll see what a magnificent gun the Hi Power really is.

Yup. A properly set up BHP is an awesome shooting machine. This one was tuned by Don Williams and wears Spegel Delrins.
Bob

[Linked Image]
I always figured if I absolutely had to have a 9MM it would be a Browning Hi Power or nothing and this thread has prove to me I'm right. I also watched Hickok45 shoot a Browning and it almost made me want one.
Ok this thread has me thinking again because I can carry pretty much anything I want off duty. Will a hi-power take a beating with +p loads?
Ok this thread has me thinking again because I can carry pretty much anything I want off duty. Will a hi-power take a beating with +p loads?

The late Stephen Camp says +p is okay - with reservations.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm
Not sure how i missed this. Here is mine. Its a lightly modded MKIII Browning. Bobbed hammer, trigger and action work, magazine disconnect removed, VZ grips and XS sights.

Eventually I will get the safety swapped to a bit wider paddle, get front and back straps stippled them probably have it sandblasted and coated.

Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Figured I would ad my HP to the collection. 1980 production wife bought me for my birthday in kinda sad shape. I polished the frame out and had a bud of mine, who happens to be a ACGG master level engraver, do a crosshatch pattern with rasp teeth and light scroll on the front and backstraps. Fitted a set of Herrett's full checkered cocabolo grips and ditched the mag safety. Did a trigger job using a C&S sear and ring hammer with the factory springs. Fit a C&S extended strong side safety with about half the paddle trimmed off, much better than factory but not obtrusive.
The top end had some small pits from what looked like fabric sticking to the slide that were deeper than the lettering, so I decided to just blast the top and leave it matte. I did cut a set of plain black Novaks in before the blue tanks though. Factory barrel shoots fine so it stayed.
It rides in a Diamond D Tanker for outdoors use or a strong side IWB from the same outfit for social occasions.
Though next year I plan to do a significant downsizing of my toys I will likely get a proper Hi-Power. Something I have come close to buying at least 20 times over the years.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated

I've found that removing the magazine disconnector will allow the MecGar 15 rounders to drop free, at least in the MKIII I'm most familiar with.
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

I've found that removing the magazine disconnector will allow the MecGar 15 rounders to drop free, at least in the MKIII I'm most familiar with.

Mine has the magazine safety removed and I've confirmed the hammer will drop with no magazine in the gun.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Not sure how i missed this. Here is mine. Its a lightly modded MKIII Browning. Bobbed hammer, trigger and action work, magazine disconnect removed, VZ grips and XS sights.

Eventually I will get the safety swapped to a bit wider paddle, get front and back straps stippled them probably have it sandblasted and coated.

Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated.

[Linked Image]
Mec Gar OEM's Browning Hi Power mags, so those are factory mags.

I see the pin for the mag safety is missing, so it's not the magazine safety.

Grip makers will sometimes cut their inlets too deep and the inlet part of the grip panel may be bearing against the magazine. Try loosening the grip panels and then see if the drop free. If they do, ten you just need to take a sanding block to the inlet portion of the grip panel and lower it a bit until they drop free with the grip screws tight. Let me know how it goes.
Obliged Kevin. I still love and even prefer my 1911's but have quickly remebered why I should have never sold my last HP. I have this one about perfect just a few tweaks and it will be time to wear it out.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Magfan - those grips are gorgeous! What are they? I somehow missed seeing this when it was fresh.

Was just revisiting this thread after finally ditching the mag disconnect on my FM. ~2.5 lbs lighter in the trigger now, down to 6 lbs. Not bad, for no real gunsmithing.

Still on the hunt for a nice set of grips.
They're Craig Spegal's in Cocobolo. They stock them at Heirloom Precision and I let Ted pick them out. He did good.
Thanks!

Oh wait! That explains the rest of the gun. Very nice!
[Linked Image]
Was trying to sell this for awhile, but now glad I kept it!
Here's a couple more BHPs. Great pistolas.
Bob

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire