Home
Posted By: rattler S&W Shield - 01/20/14
anyone shot both the 9mm and the 40S&W? how much harder to control is the 40 over the 9mm?.....gonna have the LGS order me one for CC and am thinking the 9mm cause ill prolly shoot it more if there is much of a difference between the two......
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
I've only shot the .40 and it's not an issue, but all I shoot is .40.
Posted By: rattler Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
ive got a 1911 in 45ACP but unless i do a drastic change to my wardrobe it wont work to well for CC for me.....a Shield 9mm seems like it would be bout ideal, hell didnt realize they also came in 40 until i saw one today....
Posted By: johnw Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
I have a friend who owns the shield .40, and an XDs .45. he is an avid shooter and competitor and he recommends against the shield .40 for most, including me.
He claims that the XDs .45 is more controllable and user friendly...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've only shot the .40 and it's not an issue, but all I shoot is .40.

I'm in this boat. My wife shoots the Shield in a .40 with no recoil problems.

If you wanted to stick with .45 the XDS is a pretty slim little handgun. I've not shot one but did handle one when I picked up the Shield and the package was pretty sweet...but again, haven't shot one.
Posted By: novalty Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and shot the Shield in 40S&W, and it was too much recoil for me to want to take to the range to blast away--at least with factory ammo. Have also shot it in 9mm, and found it a better gun for me. Then again, I am not a fan of the 40 S&W.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
If anybody's interested, I shoot the minor power factor .40 loads from Atlanta Arms and it really makes a difference in recoil. If you've got a .40 you want to carry, the minor PF stuff can be used for practice. The cost is comparable to other factory ammo and it's been very high quality.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: S&W Shield - 01/20/14
Have shot both. The 9mm Shield's recoil is less. Still the 40 S&W is not particularly hard to control, especially if you're used to the recoil of LWT or compact 45ACPs.

As in most cases, if you're not a fan of the 40 S&W (I am, although my primary EDC is 45ACP), you're probably better off with the 9mm Shield.
Posted By: TrophyHunter Re: S&W Shield - 01/21/14
I was able to fire both of them last weekend, the 9mm is noticeably quicker to re-acquire a sight picture and hold tighter 3 shot center mass groups with.

I have never been a fan of Tupperware pistols but I almost can't help acquiring one now, S&W really has a winner with that one.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: S&W Shield - 01/21/14
I recently picked up a .40 Shield and it really is nice. I looked at the XDs and obviously they are very nice but around here they run about $150 more than the Shield. IMHO there is not enough difference between the two to warrant the extra money.
© 24hourcampfire