Home
Posted By: bcraig 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I have done a lot of handgun hunting in my 54 years ,22 Rimfire for small game ,Contender,Auto,single and double action revolvers.
The only reason I say this is because I dont want someone to think I am a neophyte slinging rounds all over at redicoulous ranges.
Also deer but always with a 44 Mag whether it was used in Contender,Double or single action revolver.Killed a couple with a 50 cal single shot(black powder).But I have never Tried a centerfire auto pistol.
I do remember reading about Lee Jurras and Georgr Nonte handgun hunting with 38 specials,9mm and 45 autos(deer and black bear) but wanting some current experience.
Shots would definetly be under 50 yards and PREFER 25 yards or so.
If farther than 50 then its a no shoot for me.Fact of the matter probably wouldn,t shoot over 35 yards.Glock 26 or 19
I would be hunting with a rifle and only taking a shot with the 9mm that was as close to broadside and clear as possible.

I would appreciate info about this from those who have DONE it.
Taken deer with the 9mm Luger-Parrabellum.
What load did you use and what was the results ?Penetration,damage etc.

I realize I could get a 10 mm etc.
But that is not what I am asking here.Just EXPERIENCE from those who have used the 9mm to take deer .
Thanks
Craig
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Not recommend !
Posted By: macrabbit Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
One with a niner, a few with .357, more with .45auto, .41mag, and .44.

You could with a nine, though I won't recommend it.
Mine was a big blacktail (one brow tine short of B&C Awards, and only a 3-ptr), unaware at 35 yds. I hit him, I say with some shame, too far back-- broken rib in liver, broken rib out, bullet under off hide.
He ran into a gully and out of my sight, but I neither heard much nor saw him leave. I waited an hour, found him 40 yds from the shot, alive but bedded. A rifle shot finished him.
115-gr JHP @ 1300 fps. 104 grains as recovered, perfect mushroom.
I can't say that any other pistol round would have done better, given the placement. I'd do it again, but now that I have one under my belt I doubt I'll go primary with a niner again; I'd considered it a 'stunt' from the get-go (but I've been influenced by years of pooh-poohing from the 'experts').

I have plenty of confidence, proven, in my .45 185 JHP @ 1100.
Posted By: ldholton Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Expressly illeagle in MO. along with 38 special
Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Thanks macrabbit for sharing the details of your EXPERIENCE. IF I decided to do it I would use a deeper penetrating bullet,maybe a good 147 grain and might even shoot for the shoulder.
Have to run some penetration and expansion test to see if it was up to the job.
I haven,t but know several guys that used the 45 with good results.
One with hardball!
I would be hunting with the rifle and only use the 9mm handgun if everything was Just right.
Might even kill one with rifle and the shoot it with the 9mm to see what kind of penetration and expansion I get.
Thanks for your input.

I can't knock a broken rib on each side, with liver and whatever other hydro-ful organs in between. It lost only eleven grains, yet was well expanded.
I'd worry that a heavier and slower bullet might just pencil through. And I'm sure I'd try to avoid a shoulder shot, and so get into the boiler room with as much energy as possible.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14

I have no experience on deer with a 9mm, but I have taken hogs with the 9mm. The 9mm never ever impressed me when I used it on hogs.
I would be hunting with the rifle and only use the 9mm handgun if everything was Just right.
Might even kill one with rifle and the shoot it with the 9mm to see what kind of penetration and expansion I get.
Thanks for your input.

Maybe take a Red Rider BB gun with you and if it gets close enough and turns just right you can shoot its eye out
Posted By: WoodsStalker Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Do the deer a favor and forget the 9.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Haven't and wouldn't.

Gunner

Come on guys the right bullet in the correct location will indeed kill a deer. After all many use a recommend the 9mm for a personnel protection pistol. The 2 legged aggressors are bigger than most deer and much more deadly.
My Grandpappy wouldn't use anything on a two legger he wouldn't use on a four legger ie: 30-30, 308, '06 and 12 gauge. grin

Gunner
Deer are tougher than most 2 legged aggressors and aggressors are usually shot at 10 ft or less not 25 yds to 50yds like the OP was talkin
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Deer are tougher than most 2 legged aggressors and usually shot at 10 ft not 25 yds to 50yds like the OP was talkin

Where in the hell did you deduce that deer are tougher than aggressive two legged predictors, in fact I would argue other wise.
Originally Posted by gunner500
My Grandpappy wouldn't use anything on a two legger he wouldn't use on a four legger ie: 30-30, 308, '06 and 12 gauge. grin

Gunner

Wise man
Posted By: MOGC Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Originally Posted by ldholton

Incorrect... MDC changed those regulations several years ago.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
The 9 would work on deer if you keep your shots at Bowhunting range. The light bullet would loose energy really quick out to 50 yards . Bullet weight makes all the difference in a handgun for hunting. If i was using one of my 9mm i would use the Federal HST 9mm +P 147 grain and not shoot past 30 yards
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=dvdegeorge]Deer are tougher than most 2 legged aggressors and usually shot at 10 ft not 25 yds to 50yds like the OP was talkin

Where in the hell did you deduce that deer are tougher than aggressive two legged predictors, in fact I would argue other
Everyone knows a deer is tougher see for yourself wink

LOL, crack a straight [non drug fueled] human with a bat 95% will fall and cry, crack a buck deer with a bat, he'll kick or gore the hell out ya then run off. grin

Gunner
LOL, crack a straight [non drug fueled] human with a bat 95% will fall and cry, crack a buck deer with a bat, he'll kick or gore the hell out ya then run off. grin

Gunner
you break your bat on a negro's head

Gunner

When I was 16 I cracked an 8 point up side the head with a claw hammer and knocked him to his knees. He'd had enough.
Not lunium. laugh

Gunner

Gunner

When I was 16 I cracked an 8 point up side the head with a claw hammer and knocked him to his knees. He'd had enough.

Was you outta bullets or was he trying to horn his way into the feed shed? grin

Gunner
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
look at felons shot with nines to go to the hospital and recover.
more then one hit too.
A .22 can kill but is it what you want to hunt deer or larger with?
Any nine sucks for accuracy so add that to 99.9% of pistol hunters that can't hit a thing but still will tell you that where you hit counts.
A man hit with a nine can still kill you and a deer hit is gone, a loss you must face for your stupidity.
It is stupid to shoot a bad person with a nine anyway. See why the guns have a huge magazine capacity? Most shots are a miss anyway.
The average jerk cant hit when his life is in danger. The deer hunter has buck fever and does not know where a shot goes.
Sorry, my respect for animals does no let me go to stupid stuff.
I can tell you what happens to a perp after he shoots a man in the chest with a 38 spec too, he gets disarmed and cracked across the top of his head with his own revolver and receives fused vertebrae for his troubles.

Last check he was still in a home sitting in a wheel chair drooling down his bib all day. smile

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner

I was repairing a fence and he hit me in the back, so Inwent upside his head with the claw hammer knocked him to his knees, he didn't want anymore.

Gunner

Gunner

I was repairing a fence and he hit me in the back, so Inwent upside his head with the claw hammer knocked him to his knees, he didn't want anymore.

you shouldn't work with a big hole in the seat of your pants during the Rut
Damn, 10-4.

LOL Bea. grin

Gunner
Posted By: whelennut Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I had a friend try shooting an antelope in the head once.
The bullet hit the jaw and after seeing that I would never try a head shot except on a prairie dog.
A lot of police have dropped the 9mm and gone to the 40.
There must be a reason.
I say leave the 9mm in the holster and use the rifle.
Posted By: ldholton Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by ldholton

Incorrect... MDC changed those regulations several years ago.
I looked it up I stand corrected. The way the new law reads a .25acp or .17 hornet would be legal; un freaking real IMO
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
Some are just stupid and do not care about animals at all. You hunt to kill clean with no pain and the fastest kill. Taking an animal to eat is not sport, I have never found killing "SPORT" and hunt for meat, not a stupid rack.
Sure we get excited, it is why we hunt
Just how many ethical hunters would use a .38 S&W for deer?
who is so stupid to use a nine for deer?
Agreed, my deer loaded revolvers use to begin at 45 Colt and go up, but now with my new flat-top 44 Special, I'd use the 275 gr WFNGC's at 1000 fps without hesitation on any deer, black bear or hog.

Gunner
Posted By: whelennut Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I think it would be a good idea for the op to hunt hogs with the 9mm.
Then he would have an idea what it's capabilities are.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I can't think of any good reason to hunt deer with a 9mm pistol. A survival situation may be a different story, but for any other scenario, using a gun that isn't really well suited to the task is little more than a stunt. A game animal deserves better. YMMV.
Posted By: 340mag Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I would not think a 9mm ,especially if loaded with typical walmart ammo would work well, based on my experience with a friend carlos using a 9mm hi-power on a larger hog, that probably weighed 270 lbs.
Carlos, Allan and I walked up a swamp buggy track in the glades one day and saw a huge hog lying in the muddy tracks,in the saw grass.
my friend assumed the tracked buggy had run over that hog and walked up to within about 10-11 feet from where the hog, was, the darn hog must of been resting and partly deaf, lying in the buggy track, it jumped up to face him, carlos drew his 9mm loaded with 9mm hollow points and started blasting the hog,he hit it at least 7-8 times out of the 13 shot magazine,(bad shot placement but he emptied the pistol) it knocked carlos down and probably would have done a great deal more damage if Allan had not shot it in the head from about 3 feet with a 12 ga loaded with buckshot.
carlos got cuts on both legs while trying to kick the hog off him, requiring dozens of stitches and they got infected keeping him out of work for 3 weeks
We had to rush carlos to the local emergency room !
I was carrying in a tree stand and the whole deal from the time the hog jumped up until Allan dropped it probably lasted 7 seconds.
we spent the rest of the day getting carlos to the emergency room and waiting to find out how bad he was.
So the reality is that most who have responded have NO experience but just expressing an opinion based on nothing.
Imagine that !
Originally Posted by bea175
The light bullet would loose energy really quick out to 50 yards . Bullet weight makes all the difference in a handgun for hunting. If i was using one of my 9mm i would use the Federal HST 9mm +P 147 grain and not shoot past 30 yards

FYI,

A quick grab from my Speer manual and plugging into an online calc shows this-
115 gr, max load @ 1258, at 50 yards has energy of 302
147 gr, max load @ 1001, at 50 yards has energy of 288

They start with 404 and 327 foot pounds; the heavy pulls ahead by 70 yards.
Thanks for your input.

Maybe take a Red Rider BB gun with you and if it gets close enough and turns just right you can shoot its eye out

I would say there is a ton of difference between a Red Ryder and a Bullet which can penetrate vitals and destroy tissue and actually kill.
But if you want to be a smart ass be my guest.
[quote=bfrshooter]look at felons shot with nines to go to the hospital and recover.
I seriously doubt all felons shot with a nine go to the hospital and recover!
more then one hit too.
Any nine sucks for accuracy so add that to 99.9% of pistol hunters that can't hit a thing but still will tell you that where you hit counts.
A man hit with a nine can still kill you and a deer hit is gone, a loss you must face for your stupidity.
You sound pretty stupid in the way you replied to a simple question.
It is stupid to shoot a bad person with a nine anyway. See why the guns have a huge magazine capacity? Most shots are a miss anyway.
Your ignorance is truly showing.
The average jerk cant hit when his life is in danger. The deer hunter has buck fever and does not know where a shot goes.
Man you are really on a roll.NOT
From reading all you have written I suspect stupid is part of your every day.
So you actually have no experience as far as using a 9mm then?38 special,357?
Surely your not one of those guys who thinks you have to have a cannon to kill a deer humanely?

Gunner

I know a "boy", who one night at the bar picked up a pool cue in the middle of a fist fight.

The fist fight quickly turned into a gun fight. Said "boy" took nine rounds before he laid down the pool cue. Four were from a 9 and five were from a 45. Lucky for him both antagonists were loaded with ball ammo.

Yeah, he was in the hospital a few weeks, but he was back to work beside me tossing 100 lb bags of sugar by the next spring.

I have never seen any deer with that kind of persistence.
Originally Posted by bcraig
So the reality is that most who have responded have NO experience but just expressing an opinion based on nothing.
Imagine that !

Likely true, at least it is in my case. However, one doesn't necessarily have to do something to know it is a bad idea.
While that is true in some cases having real life experience doing something definetly trumps speculation.
While that is true in some cases having real life experience doing something definetly trumps speculation.

Then by all means, proceed and please let us know how that turns out. grin
I can tell you straight out i don't want to get shot with a 9mm and the ammo they have for them today . Deer are like anything else put a bullet through both lungs and let the air out and they don't go far and they sure don't know what you shot them with . As much as i like the 9mm i will leave it home if Whitetail are on the hunt list for my day. My minimum for Deer is the 357 Magnum or 10 mm and Prefer one of my Ruger or Smith 44 magnums loaded with the Keith 250 gr Cast and 2400
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Then by all means, proceed and please let us know how that turns out. grin

Looks like I am going to have to as I have had (so far)only one response from someone that has actually done this.
I can tell you straight out i don't want to get shot with a 9mm and the ammo they have for them today . Deer are like anything else put a bullet through both lungs and let the air out and they don't go far and they sure don't know what you shot them with . As much as i like the 9mm i will leave it home if Whitetail are on the hunt list for my day. My minimum for Deer is the 357 Magnum or 10 mm and Prefer one of my Ruger or Smith 44 magnums loaded with the Keith 250 gr Cast and 2400

I think you are right in that put a good bullet in the right spot and they wont know what you shot them with.
Concerning the cast bullets I used to make my own using a LBT WFN(wide flat nose)and found that while they shot great the Hornady XTP and other expanding bullets put deer down faster.YMMV

I am giving thought to a 147 Grain at about 1150 FPS as being able to do the job pretty well.
Thanks
Craig
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/08/14
I've only killed one deer in my entire life with a 9mm. It was a quick, one shot DRT deal. But first I disabled him with my 12 ga. slug gun with a 2.75" sabot, and he was down but not out and unable to get up. So in the name of hunting ethics and a quick, clean harvest of a big game animal he then received a 124 gr. 9mm to the back of the head/neck area. Worked great at a range of about 4 to 6 inches. Plus it's more economical when you look at the price of 12 ga. sabot slugs vs 9mm. Funny part is according to NY State regulations I could have been out there deer hunting with that 9mm. They allow "any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16 inches". So according to those all-knowing "geniuses" I could be out there trying to take a deer with my 25 ACP. Sounds like another one of those things written up by a bunch of NY city scumbags who don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

I think you are right in that put a good bullet in the right spot and they wont know what you shot them with.
Concerning the cast bullets I used to make my own using a LBT WFN(wide flat nose)and found that while they shot great the Hornady XTP and other expanding bullets put deer down faster.YMMV

I am giving thought to a 147 Grain at about 1150 FPS as being able to do the job pretty well.
Thanks
Craig

In my humble opinion you both are correct.

Imagine that !
I've no experience pouring water on a grease fire,It's my opinion it's a bad idea and am quite sure my opiniom isn't wrong ....imagine that
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Funny part is according to NY State regulations I could have been out there deer hunting with that 9mm. They allow "any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16 inches". So according to those all-knowing "geniuses" I could be out there trying to take a deer with my 25 ACP. Sounds like another one of those things written up by a bunch of NY city scumbags who don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Do you really want your State gov to use the force of law to delineate everything you are allowed to do and the manner in which you may do it?
I'd rather have the liberty to make my own choices.
In NY, one may shoot a deer with a 25. That reg. is not a recommendation that one do so.
Totally different scenario and anyone with one eye and half sense knows that.
As I said earlier if you want to be a smart ass the be my guest.
I asked for experience and you jump in with nothing of value to add.
Apparently you think that experience( or lack of) in pouring water on a grease fire is analagous to Having experience shooting deer with a 9mm.
Thats Phu..ing rediculous.
Just out of curiosity do you have EXPERIENCE doing anything other than being an antagonistic smart ass?
I asked for experience in shooting a deer with a 9mm and asked about bullet performance ,not thoughts on whether it should be done or not.
I will make MY own judgment on whether to do it or not based on real life experiences of people that have done so.
Not just a "dont do it or dont recomend it"that is based on nothing.
Even IF one were to try and apply your rediculous analagy of pouring water on a grease fire statement one can see that plenty have tried that and found it doesn,t work.
Can you say the same thing .that you have done it?
If not why not find a thread in which you have something or revalence to add.If you can find one that is.
Imagine that !
I've no experience pouring water on a grease fire,It's my opinion it's a bad idea and am quite sure my opiniom isn't wrong ....imagine that

Based on the fact that many agencies use the 9mm against the most dangerous animal on the planet, then there is no doubt that the 9mm can cleanly kill a deer. Based on my experience kill a free range wild hog with a 9mm it will indeed kill a deer without drama as long as a bullet that has enough penetration is used and that bullet is placed in the heart lung area. The deer may run but there also can and do run when shot with a 300 mag

I'd roll with Underwood 9mm 147gr bonded jhp at 1175 fps, or similar.

Can't be any worse than 30 Carbine, 25-20, 45 patched ball, 22rimfire, or a host of many small rounds that have killed deer effectively since dirt was young.

It's all about knowing when to pass, understanding the limitations of your chosen weapon/ammo, and placing the bullet well if an opportunity presents itself.

This one fell to a single 5mm rimfire mag,
[Linked Image]

+1...........
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd roll with Underwood 9mm 147gr bonded jhp at 1175 fps, or similar.

Can't be any worse than 30 Carbine, 25-20, 45 patched ball, 22rimfire, or a host of many small rounds that have killed deer effectively since dirt was young.

It's all about knowing when to pass, understanding the limitations of your chosen weapon/ammo, and placing the bullet well if an opportunity presents itself.

This one fell to a single 5mm rimfire mag,
[Linked Image]

Yes I have been looking at the Underwood load and the HST load.
I have been hunting for over 42 of my 54 years and wont take a shot unless its a good shot based on experience.
Thanks for your input
Imagine that !

Based on the fact that many agencies use the 9mm against the most dangerous animal on the planet, then there is no doubt that the 9mm can cleanly kill a deer. Based on my experience kill a free range wild hog with a 9mm it will indeed kill a deer without drama as long as a bullet that has enough penetration is used and that bullet is placed in the heart lung area. The deer may run but there also can and do run when shot with a 300 mag

Yes I have had a lot of them run 50-75 yards run with their heart and lungs destroyed with any number of centerfire rifle calibers and one that run 165 long steps with his heart blown completly into by a 165 gr 30-06 ! Took off like he never had a sick day in his life!
May I respectfully ask is a 9mm your only autoloader?
I have other handguns if that is what you are asking BUT I respectfully wonder what that has to do with my original question?
Just wondering...carry on
Thank you for the go ahead.
I am just interested in the terminal performance of the 9mm Cartridge on deer.
Penetration,approx expansion etc.
Posted By: Rovering Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
I've no 9mm Luger deer hunting experience, but can share a bit of history.

The European Royals are very inbred, and this sometimes throws a physical cripple in addition to the all to common mental ones. The Kaiser to be at the time of the Luger's design and adoption was one of these.

His mind seemed intact since he loved hunting, but could neither properly hold nor shoot standard rifles. A very long barreled Luger with an attachable shoulder stock and heavy loads was made for him with which to hunt Euro deer driven to him by beaters.

A 9mm Luger with a long barrel, heavy load, at point blank range, and backed up by an expert Jaeger with a good Mauser rifle to anchor the wounded ones was proven to work more than a hundred years ago.

I'm just none to keen on having such a long list of qualifying conditions, and haven't the need to accept them.
Posted By: Desertrat Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
I would NOT recommend it....however I have an uncle that lived in the Idaho panhandle that did use a 9mm one time for a deer...it was only about 25 yards, standing on a frozen stream
behind his property....but that is an exception.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
I have killed 3 deer with 9mm. Two of them were "finishing shots" on animals knocked down by rifles. The third was a doe that literally walked under my stand so close I couldn't use my rifle. I pulled my Kahr 9mm and fired a 115 gr CorBon bullet into her neck at a range of about 5 feet. Killed her dead, shattered her cervical spine all to hell.

Point-blank is the 9mm's forte, that's where it can get the job done. I'd use a good 9mm pistol with heavier bullets (147 gr) on deer-sized game out to 25 yards or so, if that was all I had, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Otherwise, I wouldn't use a 9mm on deer or other medium game. There's better autopistol cartridges out there that will finish an animal quickly and humanely, starting with the 45 ACP and moving up to the 460 Rowland as my preferred autopistol hunting round.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
About 32 yards according to the rangefinder, 135 gr. Hornaday, Browning Hi-Power from a tree stand. Complete penetration through the lungs, took about ten steps.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
About 32 yards according to the rangefinder, 135 gr. Hornaday, Browning Hi-Power from a tree stand. Complete penetration through the lungs, took about ten steps.
[Linked Image]

Congradulations.
Did bullet exit and if so what kind of exit?
Bullet hit a rib or slip between them ?

Bet you have a chunk of change in that Hi-Power
One fine looking Handgun and nice buck as well
Thanks
Craig
Posted By: TexasRick Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
In my younger (more stupid) days I used several calibers that were.....inappropriate......to take deer. I got away with it because the area I hunted was very thickety and shots were seldom more than 20 yards distance. Combined with the fact that a deer is just not that hard to kill with any kind of well placed shot.

Too many deer have been cleanly killed with the .22 LR to think that almost any centerfire round from a rifle or pistol can't do the same. Is it wise.....no. There are too many ways for this kind of stunt to go wrong......but it can be done and has been.

I have killed deer and hogs with such rounds as the .25-20 (rifle), .32-20, .38 Special and .357 in revolvers as well as the .30 Mauser, .380 ACP, 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP, and 10mm in semi-autos.

In truth they all "worked", but only the 10mm would be what I'd term a "proper" deer round. The 9mm, at close range and with very careful placement will do the job. The hardest part about using the 9mm for deer is finding a proper bullet.

Most 9mm bullets are either too light and fast expanding hollowpoints or some form of hardball. The "best" (and I only have a sample size of 4 kills.....so that's to be taken with a dash of salt) seemed to be the 147 grain flatpoints. They don't expand, but seem to hit hard and do enough damge.

I'd actually place the 9mm, .32-20 and .38 Special in the same killing class......and if forced would pick the .32-20 as the best (probably because of better bullet selection). I've actually never been a big fan of the .357 either and place it in the same class......although others seem to like it a lot.

I have killed more deer and hogs with the .32-20 than any of the smaller calibers mentioned simply because I carry it a lot more often when walking the woods, but not specifically hunting.

I'd not choose any of these rounds for a dedicated deer caliber (with the exception of the 10mm). The .30 Mauser and .380 are really getting into the "stunt" class. The .45ACP works pretty well, but there are much better choices.

Even though I'd not deliberately choose a .32-20, .38 Special or 9mm for a dedicated deer round......I'd certainly not feel unarmed if I was presented with a close shot when that was what was on my hip. With any of those (and a careful shot) I'd exspect to be dining on backstrap that evening.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Any nine sucks for accuracy

I've shot Browning hipowers that were extremely accurate and recently watched a buddy knock the heck out of a head-sized paint can at 200 yards shot after shot - with a Glock. YOUR 9 might suck but to say that any 9 sucks is pure bull.
Thanks for your experience here.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

I've shot Browning hipowers that were extremely accurate and recently watched a buddy knock the heck out of a head-sized paint can at 200 yards shot after shot - with a Glock. YOUR 9 might suck but to say that any 9 sucks is pure bull.

I think you got this one mixed up somehow,I did not say that !
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

I see where you got this one mixed up.
You read where I was quoting what bfrshooter said!
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
BCraig, my apologies. I read that as your reply to his statement.

bfrshooter is incorrect. Many 9's are very accurate, and a skilled shot with a 9 can take a deer cleanly with a good bullet at appropriate ranges. That's my experience, not a guess.
No problem.
I do appreciate you sharing your experience about this subject.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Broke a rib going in, exited so I can't show the bullet. Decent exit wound. The 9mm is at least as good as an arrow from a tree stand IMHO.

While I prefer 250 gr. or heavier .44 or .45 caliber bullets at a minimum of 1000fps, the real issue is bullet placement. Put a bullet into one or both lungs of a deer and blood pressure will drop until the beast loses consciousness. This usually occurs within 100 yards or less. If a critter runs farther than that, it was not hit in the right place.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
more then one hit too.

Another shout-out from Bizzaro World.

Can you not help yourself?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by FreeMe
more then one hit too.

Another shout-out from Bizzaro World.

Can you not help yourself
?

Doesn't seem to be able to control himself.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Gunner

I know a "boy", who one night at the bar picked up a pool cue in the middle of a fist fight.

The fist fight quickly turned into a gun fight. Said "boy" took nine rounds before he laid down the pool cue. Four were from a 9 and five were from a 45. Lucky for him both antagonists were loaded with ball ammo.

Yeah, he was in the hospital a few weeks, but he was back to work beside me tossing 100 lb bags of sugar by the next spring.

I have never seen any deer with that kind of persistence.

Agreed, BTST, alcohol combined with adrenalin can be a helluva pain killer in itself.

Gunner
Posted By: shrapnel Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14

Hunting deer or shooting deer can be quite different. Although I wouldn't necessarily hunt deer with a 9mm, I have shot deer with a 380 and had a friend shoot an antelope with a 9mm.

As with any other chosen cartridge, the shot needs to be good, so the work is getting to where that shot can be made...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: FreeMe Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

As with any other chosen cartridge, the shot needs to be good, so the work is getting to where that shot can be made...

And that is it, in a nutshell.

I'll leave it to those who have done it to discuss the details of that. I think that is all that the OP asked.

bfrshooter and others who chimed in similarly - I suggest you do the same.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
I would use it. I would not make it my primary deer gun but I would use it if I wanted and it was legal.

The only handguns I have used on deer are 41 mag, 44 mag 454 casull and 9MM. The 9mm was a one shot double lung pass through with a 147 black talon at 20 yards. The deer ran 30 yards and fell dead. Exact thing happened when a hunting buddy also shot a deer at 20 yards with a 9mm and 147 Remington Golden Saber, double lung pass through, the deer ran about 15 feet and fell over.

If your buying a new pistol though the 9mm would be my last choice after the 45 and 40. The 40's wont be less of a good thing.
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
It is not the expert shot or caliber, IT IS YOU. A friend missed 7 deer last season. Not a single gun to a .460 would have helped him. 90% of hunters will go to pieces when a deer is there. You want to use a toy to hunt with, you are a fool.
so many tout little guns but I shot a deer last season and found it with a fully expanded .22 on the neck.
[Linked Image]
stupid ass shot the deer with a .22. The spot scared me and when I cut it, a fully expanded .22 was found.
Anyone that hunts with little stuff should be banned.
A 9mm is not a 22 rimfire.
It was your initial arrogant reply along with you continued use of the word stupid that caused me to slam your ass.
Now you dont have enough sense to do anything but call me a fool.
Why dont you just shut up unless you can add something usefull to my question.
You know you are very antaganistic and just wanting trouble.
Even your last post you talk about it not being the Shot or caliber but its you? You cant seem to make up your mind.
Now a 9mm is a toy to hunt with and I am a fool ?
Were Lee Juras and George Nonte fools as well?They hunted quite succesfully with 9mm and 45 autos as well as with blackpowder handguns.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Hunting deer or shooting deer can be quite different. Although I wouldn't necessarily hunt deer with a 9mm, I have shot deer with a 380 and had a friend shoot an antelope with a 9mm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the info and pics!
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I would use it. I would not make it my primary deer gun but I would use it if I wanted and it was legal.

The only handguns I have used on deer are 41 mag, 44 mag 454 casull and 9MM. The 9mm was a one shot double lung pass through with a 147 black talon at 20 yards. The deer ran 30 yards and fell dead. Exact thing happened when a hunting buddy also shot a deer at 20 yards with a 9mm and 147 Remington Golden Saber, double lung pass through, the deer ran about 15 feet and fell over.

If your buying a new pistol though the 9mm would be my last choice after the 45 and 40. The 40's wont be less of a good thing.

Thanks for the info and experience.
Posted By: whelennut Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/09/14
My son shot a deer a nice 9 pt and when
we were skinning it we heard something hit the he garage floor. It was a buckshot pellet.
I suppose the poacher still wonders how he could have missed.
whelennut
Posted By: FreeMe Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/10/14
....90% of hunters will go to pieces when a deer is there....

Maybe 90% of the hunters you hang with - but not around here (or most anywhere else). Face it - you ain't that special.

...You want to use a toy to hunt with, you are a fool.
so many tout little guns but I shot a deer last season and found it with a fully expanded .22 on the neck...

Big deal. I picked an almost pristine 180 grain .30 caliber bullet out of an elk backstrap. Another elk I killed had been shot in the ass with a .270. I have an uncle who hunts exclusively with a .270 and kills elk cleanly every time. You can wound an animal with any caliber you use. Nobody here is proposing to hunt big game with a rimfire. I understand that is a common tool of the poachers in your area.

...Anyone that hunts with little stuff should be banned.

Some of us think that anyone who posts with a small mind should be banned too. But that would make the place a little less interesting.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/10/14
I have never killed a deer with the 9 mm, but have killed a couple with the Sig P239 40 S&W and the Federal 180 gr Hydra Shocks that had their leg broken from a collision with a auto and they went right down . Would i hunt deer with a 9 mm, yes if it was all i had to hunt with , but it would be like i hunt with a Bow, from a tree stand at close range 40 yards and under and i would use my S&W M&P full size which i keep loaded with Hornady 135 gr Plus P Critical Duty Ammo
Posted By: whelennut Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
bcraig
I used a 9mm rifle (35 Whelen)
to shoot my deer this year. The reason I mention it is that it was a quartering away shot with a 200 grain Interlock round nose.
I was very surprised to find the expanded bullet still inside the deer. I don't think that has ever happened before. I shot it a second time which is very rare and he ran down into a steep ravine. Next year I am using 250 gr Speer.
Good luck with your pistol.
whelennut
Posted By: southarkrob Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
I had a fellow shoot a 300lb boar hog bayed in front of my dogs with 9mm with hollowpoints... he hit it right behind the shoulder ..it penetrated less than an inch into the shield. The hog acted like it had never been hit. Took a 7.62x39 to back of the head to stop it. The G26 is not legal to hunt with in Arkansas as it has less than 4" barrel...My G29 falls into this category also. If I had a big doe less than 25 yds..I would give it a shot if it was loaded with a good hollowpoint.

Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
Originally Posted by whelennut
bcraig
I used a 9mm rifle (35 Whelen)
to shoot my deer this year. The reason I mention it is that it was a quartering away shot with a 200 grain Interlock round nose.
I was very surprised to find the expanded bullet still inside the deer. I don't think that has ever happened before. I shot it a second time which is very rare and he ran down into a steep ravine. Next year I am using 250 gr Speer.
Good luck with your pistol.
whelennut

Thanks and good luck to you as well.Think I will stick to broadside lung shots .
Originally Posted by southarkrob
I had a fellow shoot a 300lb boar hog bayed in front of my dogs with 9mm with hollowpoints... he hit it right behind the shoulder ..it penetrated less than an inch into the shield. The hog acted like it had never been hit. Took a 7.62x39 to back of the head to stop it. The G26 is not legal to hunt with in Arkansas as it has less than 4" barrel...My G29 falls into this category also. If I had a big doe less than 25 yds..I would give it a shot if it was loaded with a good hollowpoint.

Goodness Rob ,do you know what bullet he was using ?
Think I would have done a headshot on a bayed 300 pound boar instead of trying to get through the shield.
I am thinking more along the lines of using it on a 75-125 pound doe myself.
G26 will be no problem as I have a Glock 19 Barrel for it so everything will be all nice and legal .
Sure would hate to be harassed over half an inch of barrel, hunting on my own property.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
Southarkrob, you have seen the problem I have with the 9mm.....poor bullet selection. Many (make that most) 9mm bullets are light and quick expanding hollowpoints designed for use on man-size targets to "stop"....not nessisarily kill.

On a deer size target that you "DO" intend to kill, this can mean a lack of penetration and possible "failure". This is why I prefer (if I'm going to use a 9mm at all) a heavier 147 grain flatpoint. It won't normally expand, but WILL penetrate to kill the beast.

Probably why I have always found the .32-20 to be superior, even though the "ballistics" show it's no better than the 9mm. The typical .32-20 bullet is hard cast lead which gives some (although not a lot) of expansion, but still penetrates very well.
Posted By: whelennut Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
If you are hunting on your own property that changes things. I prefer a broadside lung shot because I have a background in archery.
My neighbor does not hunt and the last thing
I want is a wounded deer making it over the line.
Bob Hagel once wrote that you shouldn't use a gun that works when everything is perfect
you should use a gun/ammunition that will work when everything goes wrong.
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Southarkrob, you have seen the problem I have with the 9mm.....poor bullet selection. Many (make that most) 9mm bullets are light and quick expanding hollowpoints designed for use on man-size targets to "stop"....not nessisarily kill.

On a deer size target that you "DO" intend to kill, this can mean a lack of penetration and possible "failure". This is why I prefer (if I'm going to use a 9mm at all) a heavier 147 grain flatpoint. It won't normally expand, but WILL penetrate to kill the beast.

Probably why I have always found the .32-20 to be superior, even though the "ballistics" show it's no better than the 9mm. The typical .32-20 bullet is hard cast lead which gives some (although not a lot) of expansion, but still penetrates very well.

Sounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.Now lead or cast bullets that expand kill very quickly.
Best kills I have seen were with cast but they were paper patched pure lead cast.The paper to prevent leading and the pure lead for expansion.
Originally Posted by whelennut
If you are hunting on your own property that changes things. I prefer a broadside lung shot because I have a background in archery.
My neighbor does not hunt and the last thing
I want is a wounded deer making it over the line.
Bob Hagel once wrote that you shouldn't use a gun that works when everything is perfect
you should use a gun/ammunition that will work when everything goes wrong.

Yes family farm where I have been hunting for over 40 years.
I used to do a lot of bowhunting as well and have killed with recurves,longbows,crossbows and even made my own bows and arrows fron Hickory I cut on the farm.
I have killed enough deer in my life that if I kill one fine if I dont fine, I just enjoy being out in the woods. That is why I say I will choose my shots,I am not a hunter who has to shoot at every deer I see.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
[quote=bcraigSounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets. [/quote]

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole.
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
[quote=bcraigSounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole. [/quote]

Not in my experience,I know the large Meplat theory,bought into it and used them on deer and I have used a bunch of them,Read Veral Smiths book and found that on deer sized game hard cast (water dropped wheelweights ) WFN are a poor killer compared to a a good Jacketed hollowpoint that penetrates into the vitals.
Had a talk with JD Jones(a handgun hunting authority if there ever was one) umteen years ago and I mentioned the Hard cast for deer and he told me the Jacketed softpoints and Hollowpoints would kill faster on DEER size game and basically the only reason to use a hardcast was when a soft point or hollowpoint would not reach the vitals of the animal you were shooting,IE Hunting Elephants,Cape Buffalo etc with a 44 mag.
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole.

Not in my experience,I know the large Meplat theory,bought into it and used them on deer and I have used a bunch of them,Read Veral Smiths book and found that on deer sized game hard cast (water dropped wheelweights ) WFN are a poor killer compared to a a good Jacketed hollowpoint that penetrates into the vitals.
Had a talk with JD Jones(a handgun hunting authority if there ever was one) umteen years ago and I mentioned the Hard cast for deer and he told me the Jacketed softpoints and Hollowpoints would kill faster on DEER size game and basically the only reason to use a hardcast was when a soft point or hollowpoint would not reach the vitals of the animal you were shooting,IE Hunting Elephants,Cape Buffalo etc with a 44 mag.
[/quote]

For thin skinned game like deer, I often use hollow-points, but when the game gets tougher, I prefer LBT bullets. I have found that when I do my job, they are certainly not a "poor killer" and in fact do a lot of damage to include breaking bones even on thin-skinned animals. A WFN produces a sizeable wound channel.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14

[/quote]

Not in my experience a proper nose profile and me plat size has always left good wound channels for me and killed very well on deer sized game and I have taken a lot of them useing LBT LFNs and WFNS

Not in my experience a proper nose profile and me plat size has always left good wound channels for me and killed very well on deer sized game and I have taken a lot of them useing LBT LFNs and WFNS

[/quote]
There we are,I believe you 100%.
I also believe me 100%.
I think the expression is YMMV !! LOL
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/11/14
Originally Posted by southarkrob

your friend needs a different bullet like the Hornady Plus P 135 gr Critical Duty. I would be willing to bet the boars shield won't stop this bullet at dog hunting range. My 250 gr Keith Cast bullet from my 4 inch 44 Magnums with 20 gr of 2400 never fails to penetrate and put deer down quick .
I have killed one deer with a 9mm, back in the 70's, using the Speer 125 gr. JSP bullet. The deer, a medium sized doe, had been injured by a car, had a broken leg, but was still mobile. I tracked it down and was able to shoot it behind the shoulder with a BHP from about 30 yards. The bullet went all the way through and the deer stumbled about 10 yards and fell.

Over a 25 year period I also killed dozens of deer under similar circumstances with .38 Special revolvers using 125 gr. HP and .357's using 145 gr. HP ammo. If a deer was properly hit in the heart/lung area it was dead within 50 to 75 yards. If it was hit improperly, a long chase was the result.

The .38's were a bit "less" than a 9mm and the .357 was a bit "more". The .357 always exited on broadside shots and the .38's usually did, at least for me.

Since you plan to use your 9mm at close range under ideal conditions, I suggest you load up with CorBon 115 gr. DPX+P or a similar modern 9mm load, shoot carefully and keep a sharp knife handy.
I used a lot of Win 296 and the 280 gr WFN(water dropped wheel weights) out of a Ruger 4 5/8 Blackhawk.
Shot great as I had firelapped the barrel,sized the cylander holes exactly to the bullet,LBT blue lube and just for sh.ts and giggles I roundbutted the grip frame .Could put a couple of rounds with this combo into 2 inches all day at 50 yards resting over the hood of a truck.
Just did not kill deer for me as well as either the Hornady 240 XTP or 300 XTP.BUT it did kill.
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have killed one deer with a 9mm, back in the 70's, using the Speer 125 gr. JSP bullet. The deer, a medium sized doe, had been injured by a car, had a broken leg, but was still mobile. I tracked it down and was able to shoot it behind the shoulder with a BHP from about 30 yards. The bullet went all the way through and the deer stumbled about 10 yards and fell.

Over a 25 year period I also killed dozens of deer under similar circumstances with .38 Special revolvers using 125 gr. HP and .357's using 145 gr. HP ammo. If a deer was properly hit in the heart/lung area it was dead within 50 to 75 yards. If it was hit improperly, a long chase was the result.

The .38's were a bit "less" than a 9mm and the .357 was a bit "more". The .357 always exited on broadside shots and the .38's usually did, at least for me.

Since you plan to use your 9mm at close range under ideal conditions, I suggest you load up with CorBon 115 gr. DPX+P or a similar modern 9mm load, shoot carefully and keep a sharp knife handy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone.
I cant keep a sharp knife on my person though.If I do I wont see one!Now if I keep it in the truck and have to go to truck to get it everythings alright!!
A little along the same lines is you just let me forget Toilet paper !!
Oh well you know the rest of the story!
"......A little along the same lines is you just let me forget Toilet paper !!
Oh well you know the rest of the story!"

Yeah, that's when you come home with only one sock.....grin.

Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
"......A little along the same lines is you just let me forget Toilet paper !!
Oh well you know the rest of the story!"

Yeah, that's when you come home with only one sock.....grin.

Ha ,I know thats right.
I used a dollar i had in my front pocket one time .
BUt the worst was poison IVY when I was in my very early teens.
I never want to do that again !!

Posted By: southarkrob Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14
Im not sure what bullet he was using.. we pulled up to the camp and it looked like they didn't have gun with them...asked him if he wanted to carry my 41 mag as I had an AR with me.. he declined and pulled a Ruger P89 out of a coat pocket and pulled the mag to show me he had hp's in it.. I still insisted on him using my 41 mag. He refused. The dogs bayed across a big creek and he was the first one there 15 feet from the bay behind a tree with the gun held in the air (hiding actually as the dogs were fighting the boar and he was scared!) I couldn't get a shot as I was wading the creek.. hollered at him and told him to shoot the hog.. he jumped out from behind the tree and shot the hog a point blank range!! The hog never reacted to the shot and took off trying to jump the creek..my 80 yr old hunting buddy hit him in mid air in the back of the head with his SKS as he was jumping across the creek. The Goober that had the 9mm ran up to the creek and was hollering look at the hog I just killed!!! I have pics somewhere of the bullet hung in the hide.. My brother has killed a ton of hogs with a 40 cal G22 and 165 gr Golden Sabers.
If I was hunting on my own farm in Eastern Arkansas (I hunt in Nevada county) and wanted to shoot a deer with my 9mm.. I wouldn't hesitate. People don't realize that there are so many deer over there that the AGFC are begging us to shoot does. I hunted the late season and was seeing over 35 does a day!!
Posted By: Redhill Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14
I've taken a small mule deer buck with a .40S&W at about 40 yards and ended up shooting him twice.

I've not shot a deer with a 9mm but I've seen it done, kinda. Out deer hunting with a buddy and he brought .270 shells for his 30-06 and decided not to try 'em. He had a Glock 9mm that he usually carried and I think it was loaded with some good SD ammo but don't know the brand.

He decided to hunt out of an abandoned barn with his 9mm or maybe he just wanted to take a nap, I dunno. Anyway another buddy and I took off with our rifles and had a nice hike. Didn't see anything with horns and upon returning to the barn and our truck our buddy was gleaming with a small mule deer buck that he shot with his 9mm at about 20 yards. He is a pretty good shot that practices a lot and he said it was a one shot kill. We only heard that one shot so it sounded good to us. Deer went about 60-75 yards and piled up with a lung shot, dead. It made for an easy pack out with just backing up the truck and throwing it in the back.

I was impressed with two things. One that he could hit it and two that a 9mm would do the job.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14
Yes it will work, no its not a good idea! Use it if thats all you have but there are so many calibers that are better. I did kill a large feral hog once with my Browning Hi-Power & a 120 gr hard cast slug but it had been shot in the spine by another guy. I walked up & shot it through the head & the cast slug buried in the dirt behind it. I wasn't hunting, just along for the fun of it.

Dick
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14

I am amazed at the number of posters that feel the 9mm is good to protect their lives but not good for deer. IMHO if it ain't good for deer the it sure as he'll ain't good enough to defend my life.
Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14

I am amazed at the number of posters that feel the 9mm is good to protect their lives but not good for deer. IMHO if it ain't good for deer the it sure as he'll ain't good enough to defend my life.

Yes it seems that way.
With a lot of todays loads designed to meet FBI specs of Penetration from 12 to 18 inches of Ballistic gelatin doesn,t seem like a issue to go through a deers lungs with plenty of penetration and expansion.
I think some get preconcieved notions in their mind about this and other things in life and no amount of facts are going to change their mind.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/12/14
I'm carrying a Nine as i write this, M&P Full Size with Hornady 135 gr Plus P Critical Duty Ammo. I never said i wouldn't hunt Deer with my Nines , it is that I have better weapon for deer at my disposable and use them instead . Another reason most oppose the 9 mm for deer is due to the type of handgun they carry chambered in 9 mm . I wouldn't hesitate to use my Smith M&P full size, but i wouldn't carry the small POS Kel-Tec for Whitetail Hunting that a lot of people choose for self defense
Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
I'm carrying a Nine as i write this, M&P Full Size with Hornady 135 gr Plus P Critical Duty Ammo. I never said i wouldn't hunt Deer with my Nines , it is that I have better weapon for deer at my disposable and use them instead . Another reason most oppose the 9 mm for deer is due to the type of handgun they carry chambered in 9 mm . I wouldn't hesitate to use my Smith M&P full size, but i wouldn't carry the small POS Kel-Tec for Whitetail Hunting that a lot of people choose for self defense

I checked out that load on you tube and it does indeed seem like it offers good penetration and decent expansion.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
I've got 21 rounds of that ammunition in my Sig P226 Tac Ops right now. I saw the YouTube video too. I like the Penetration it was able to achieve.

I'm still looking to pick up some of the 147 grain Federal HST load as well though.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14

I agree there are better cartridges for both deer hunting and self protection. The fact remains that a properly loaded 9mm will most certainly kill a deer.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
Almost there

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
The 9mm and the Hornady Critical Duty may be a good option for taking a Boar on the Hog Hunt
Posted By: bcraig Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
The 9mm and the Hornady Critical Duty may be a good option for taking a Boar on the Hog Hunt

Will be very interesting to see how the bullet performs if you decide to do so.
Posted By: rattler Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14

IIRC [bleep] shot one with his High Power last year.....
Posted By: reelman Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14

If I had my choice for personal protection I would take a 12 gauge or a 30/06 but they're kind of hard to conceal in my pants! One needs to balance out what they need the gun to do. Deer are also much tougher than people. I've seen plenty of deer running around on three legs but a human stubs his toe and he's on crutches!
Posted By: rattler Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
Originally Posted by reelman

If I had my choice for personal protection I would take a 12 gauge or a 30/06 but they're kind of hard to conceal in my pants! One needs to balance out what they need the gun to do. Deer are also much tougher than people. I've seen plenty of deer running around on three legs but a human stubs his toe and he's on crutches!

depends.....saw a PH take an errant bullet from a clients 458 during a buffalo charge on TV last night and the guy walked out of the bush to the truck.....granted it was a solid that went through and by the narrowest of margins didnt hit anything vital going through the upper chest but still.....
Posted By: reelman Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/13/14
I saw that also, the guy was darn lucky!!! I believe it was a solid out of a 416 although 416 or 458 doesn't really make any difference. But being a solid it blew right through without releasing most of it's energy in the PH. Not that I would want to try it!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/14/14
Originally Posted by reelman

Obviously you are not aware of a determined attacker wounds don't impress them much.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/14/14
Crack and meth do wonders
Posted By: ldholton Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/14/14
Now this thread been going for a while if I remember correctly the OP stated he had. Other weapons that better suited the task , so why the 9mm ? If that was asked sorry I missed it
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/14/14
Originally Posted by rattler

IIRC [bleep] shot one with his High Power last year.....

Yes he did, and I was thoroughly impressed with the way the hog reacted at the shot. I'm not sure what kind of ammunition he was running that day, but Ol' Oreo noticed she was hit, right off.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: 9mm for deer hunting? - 02/15/14
I've finished off several with a. 40 and 165 gold dot. I was never impressed with the results though I must admit they did work.
© 24hourcampfire