Home
Posted By: cdi23 Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/14/14
Been looking at some small 9's lately for concealed carry. I like the Kahr CW 9 after handling one. Also like the looks of the Keltec PF-9 though I haven't handled one. What are your thoughts on these or suggestions for others that would fit the bill?
Posted By: 4ager Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/14/14
Define "affordable".
Ruger LC9. I own two and won't even sell one to my son:)
Originally Posted by cdi23
Been looking at some small 9's lately for concealed carry. I like the Kahr CW 9 after handling one. Also like the looks of the Keltec PF-9 though I haven't handled one. What are your thoughts on these or suggestions for others that would fit the bill?
I've got an M&P Compact that I like pretty well. For even greater concealment, there is the Shield, which is a single-stack version of the pistol I have.

An even more compact pistol is the Kel Tec, but I think these are unacceptable in the reliability department. From my experience with Kel Tec's single stack, I'm not buying a Smith Shield to replace my Compact model because I like the way the wider grip spreads the recoil out in a small, light pistol that is relatively hard-kicking.
Posted By: Redhill Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/14/14
I'm not sure that a Glock 26 would meet your definition of what you are looking for but it adds accuracy to your formula.
Posted By: Waders Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/14/14
Review this thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...637413/Kahr_CM9_vs_Ruger_LC9#Post8637413

It covers some of what you're asking about. Good luck with your decision!
Sherri LOVES her Kel Tec PF-9, and I like it too fpr what it is. Lightest of any, no stupid external safety to learn and have to manipulate in a crisis, and to her, a much nicer trigger than the KAHR CW-9 that this replaced. We both also like our Kel Tec P3AT as a pocket pistol when one or other of us cannot wear our regular daily carry piece.

Give them a good, long, serious look. Lightest and smallest of the compact 9's so far, also. About $300-325 new out the door most places. Lots of gun for the weight and money in our opinions.
LC9 is a good one. I also like the SR9c. Either will serve you well.
The Kahr CM9 is smaller than the CW9 and is approx. the same price.

Jerry
Posted By: boatboy Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/14/14
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The Kahr CM9 is smaller than the CW9 and is approx. the same price.

Jerry

What he said!
I carried a CW40 once I got a CM9 it was that much better
I really like them

Hank
I can vouch for the Ruger LC9. My brother bought two of them for less than $370.00 each. I've put over three hundred rounds through them without any malfunctions. That has included cast, fmj and hollow point ammo in three different bullet weights. Very fun to play dualling coke cans out to 25 yards.

They have decent triggers and sights. They are compact enough to be able to carry in the front pocket of your wranglers. They come with two magazines and floor plates. You can take the extended floor plate off and replace it with the flat one. That really makes for easy pocket carry.

If I didn't already have 2in. barreled .38s I would buy one for my own carry gun.
Posted By: viking Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/15/14
Glock 26.
I still haven't seen the definition of "affordable" as it applies to this thread. But just over 2 years ago I got a brand new Glock G19 Gen 3 which is small and light and in 9mm and I really like it. I had shot one belonging to someone else a few times and it kind of grew on me to get one of my own.
LC9.... I have two, I liked the 1st one so well, I picked up another one at the Gun show yesterday. Dealer was selling them for 309 out the door. I could not pass it up.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/16/14
Originally Posted by viking
Glock 26.

This
Posted By: cdi23 Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/16/14
Lot's of good suggestions here! I'm wanting to stay around $350 give or take. Trying to narrow it down to 3 or 4 then go to a gun show and handle them before making the final choice. Don't really understand Keltec's statement that you can shoot +P's some, but not too much. Looks like either you could or couldn't. What's up with that?
Posted By: 4ager Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/16/14
For $350ish, get the LC9 (under that) or a used G26 (over that).
Lot's of good suggestions here! I'm wanting to stay around $350 give or take. Trying to narrow it down to 3 or 4 then go to a gun show and handle them before making the final choice. Don't really understand Keltec's statement that you can shoot +P's some, but not too much. Looks like either you could or couldn't. What's up with that?
You don't want the KelTec. They are unreliable. You can shoot +P's until they blow up. The single stack Kel Tec kicks like a Missouri Mule too.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/16/14
I've got a hard chromed PF9. Only problem I've had, was after I first got it, I ran 200 rounds through it in about an hour to check its reliability. There wasn't even a bobble.

The problem was the hole it wore on the inside base of my right thumb (shooting right handed) from the cumulative effects of rotation due to recoil after every shot. You can't get a pinky on it to aid in stabilizing it fully due to the short grip. Don't think I'd care to run too many +P's thru it.

I like the price, the trigger, the sights, the size, and the weight. For actually shooting, I prefer my Kahr P9 'cause it has a grip I can get my whole hand on and it's only very slightly larger and heavier.
Consider a Daewoo DP51 9mm pistol. They were imported thirty something years ago. There is one for sale now $275. On gunbroker.com
They use S&W magazines
S&W Shield got mine for less than $400 OTD
Posted By: bea175 Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/17/14
Buy a Glock 19, Big enough to shoot well and small enough to carry concealed.
Posted By: Mink Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 03/17/14
Take a look at the 3rd Gen S&W 3913. Bought one based on the recommendations here on the fire and I could not be happier with it.
Got my LC9 for about $400, it is my off duty summer carry when I need smaller than my Glock 36. I also have a Glock 27, which is the same size as the 9mm Glock 26, that I carry as my on duty back up and I would much rather carry the LC9 for its size/slimness.
Look for a Charles Daly HP on gunbroker.com

They go for about $350-400. Have the magazine safety removed makes the trigger very nice. It's a high quality copy of the Browning Hi Power.
I have two of them
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 04/04/14
personal preference YMMV ,Springfield armory XDs
Posted By: bcraig Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 04/04/14
Just go handle em all and decide which one you like the best.
If you can handle $350.00 then get something good,Kahr-Glock-Ruger
Buy once cry once!
Whats a hundred when it comes to a Life insurance policy?
Small/mid size 9mm?

I have, EMP, LC9,S&W 908, P11, CZ, Sig 938............

I carry the LC9 the most. Why? For me it is the very long trigger pull and safety.

With my hand nerve problems I feel it is the safest for daily carry.

As far as shooting, a toss up between the EMP and 938.

BTW, several different S&W mags will work in the PF9, like the 59 mag.
Posted By: Jamie Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 04/05/14
I've been really impressed by the sccy's.
SCCY gen2, shield , Kahr,Taurus 709, LCR, KEL TEC, 3rd gen Smith Sig 938(a bit pricy) All decent guns and in your range except the sig.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 04/07/14
Kel-Tec PF9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdd44jfgrLo

If you can find one.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You don't want the KelTec. They are unreliable. You can shoot +P's until they blow up. The single stack Kel Tec kicks like a Missouri Mule too.

Took my KelTec PF-9 out to the gun club today and had no trouble hitting tight groups. I am small framed and found the recoil to be very manageable. I have had several handguns for concealed carry, but have not owned or shot the LC9.
I've got a Kahr CM-9 and also the Keltec PF-9. Both of mine work flawlessly, and are plent accurate & shootable. But my Keltec is lighter in weight & a little easier to conceal.

But my favorite Concealed Carry 9mm is Definately my Springfield EMP 9mm 1911. But at $1100. It's not a "cheap" CHL gun.
Posted By: Mink Re: Small, light, affordable 9 - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

But my favorite Concealed Carry 9mm is Definately my Springfield EMP 9mm 1911. But at $1100. It's not a "cheap" CHL gun.

Nor easy to find locally, I have seen two EMP's, both in .40. Part of the fun though is the hunt...right?
© 24hourcampfire