Home
Posted By: bearstalker What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
What powder you guys using or prefer for the 45 ACP cartridge? I plan to shoot a lot of 230gr bullets and perhaps some heavier stuff if I can find any.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14

Power Pistol is excellent in 45acp IMHO
Posted By: krankie Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
Win 231
Originally Posted by bearstalker
What powder you guys using or prefer for the 45 ACP cartridge? I plan to shoot a lot of 230gr bullets and perhaps some heavier stuff if I can find any.
Hard to go wrong with Unique or W231.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
We use Clays........
HS6
PP
Bearstalker,

I prefer Power Pistol and W231 due to the shortage I'm using my stockpile sparingly and shooting/plinking/practicing with whatever I can find, powders I have to look up to see if they are suitable, for example 700X.

Jerry
Red dot. Only because I have a bunch of it
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Hard to go wrong with Unique or W231.

Two of my favorites as well, Accurate #5 has been a pretty good substitute for both of them more towards top of the load range.

Wish I could find any of them right now.
I use Clays, and have for a couple+ decades.

4.3 grains clays and a 200 grain SWC has been my IPSC load for as long as I have been shooting IPSC.
Posted By: T LEE Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
All I ever used was Unique, did whay I wanted and never saw a reason to change.
Posted By: dla Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14

Everything. It is one of the easiest cartridges to reload. And given today's shortages as person would be wise to broaden their search as nearly any pistol & shotgun powder will work.
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
^^^^^^^
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
I've always just used 231/HP38.

I've tried some VV3N37 with some light bullet/+P loads, but otherwise, plain ol' 231 and usually Berry's 230 plated.
Posted By: Notropis Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
Unique, Universal, 231, Red Dot, Promo, Power Pistol, and Bullseye have all worked for me. I know there are other powders that will also work well that I have not tried. I probably use more Unique than anything else.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/16/14
Ramshot Silhouette,meters great,good speed,accurate and clean
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
AA#7 and Power Pistol.

Gunner
Posted By: Dantheman Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
I use AA# 5 for jacketed and plated bullets and AA# 2 for lead bullets.

Dan
All I could find today was some VihtaVuori N310 powder. If I did my math right, at 4+ grains of powder per case, I could technically reload 1700 rounds of 45 ACP?

I also scored some new Remington 45 ACP brass, Federal 150 primers and 230gr Berry's bullets.
Posted By: 257James Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Bullseye, Unique, and my new favorite American Select; super clean.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
All I could find today was some VihtaVuori N310 powder. If I did my math right, at 4+ grains of powder per case, I could technically reload 1700 rounds of 45 ACP?

I also scored some new Remington 45 ACP brass, Federal 150 primers and 230gr Berry's bullets.

Actually 1,750 rounds:)
I also read online that Wilson uses either 3.9 or 4 grains of N310 with a 230 gr FMJ round nose for test loads in their 45's.
Posted By: Spike12 Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
I've used a good amount of Power Pistol and Bullseye. They both 'work' and I don't see much difference but then I don't chrono either.

The only thing I notice is that Bullseye is pretty sooty.
Posted By: Horsefly80 Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
I have used a lot of tight group works well for me.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I use Clays, and have for a couple+ decades.

4.3 grains clays and a 200 grain SWC has been my IPSC load for as long as I have been shooting IPSC.

My PPC load forever. Load up a 5 gallon bucket full. Shoot. Repeat as necessary.

Denny.
Posted By: achadwick Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
LongShot under a 230 gr bullet works well for me.
Posted By: JGray Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
I use Titegroup with a 200 SWC in one 1911, and AA#5 with a 230 TC in another 1911 and an M&P.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Lots of good powders.........

Power Pistol -favorite
SOLO 1000 (very low flash)
Unique
AutoComp
800-X
Bullseye
Longshot
Titegroup

MM

"Lots of good powders........."

Basically I am going to copy the above powders, look in my reloading manuals to do the same and make a list for me and my wife to keep an eye out for. Save my favorites as much as I can and shoot the others.

Jerry
Posted By: iblong Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Another vote for 231 and unique.
I like 231 for target loads and unique for warm loads.
never felt the need to use anything else.
Posted By: Roundup Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Still experimenting with Bullseye and TiteGroup with 200 gr. stuff and AA5 and Unique with the 230 gr.
Posted By: RickyD Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
AA #5, Longshot, Power Pistol and 800X are top on my list based on accuracy. I've also used:
Tite Group
Unique
Bluedot (185's)
Bullseye
Universal
Universal Clays
Posted By: JSH Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Some I have used:

231/HP38 - Traditional favorite.
WST - Very clean burning in target loads.
TiteGroup - Clean burning. Narrow range of charge weights.
Power Pistol - Clean burning, a little "flashy".
Clays - Clean burning but didn't meter well from my measure.
Unique - It works. Kind of dirty for my taste.

I am sure there are others but these jump out at me.
Posted By: Waders Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14

Given a choice, I shoot 230gr cast bullets over 4.5 or 4.6 gr of Titegroup.

However, these days, like others have mentioned, you may have to shoot what you can find. Fortunately, the .45 ACP shoots a ton of powders well!

Posted By: TopCat Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/17/14
Faster powders have less recoil for quicker follow-up, and powder with less nitro burn cleaner and are less temp sensitive...if any of that is important to one's goals.

I like Bullseye because I like the way it smells.
Posted By: EdM Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/18/14
I still use what I started with many years ago competing in bowling pin matches with Aaron Hogue on the Central Coast of California, circa 1983, W231. College was grand. Have not seen a reason to change and it tends to be readily available as folks search for the boutique powder of the 'net. smile
Add Ramshot ZIP to this list. I've been using that for 200 and 230 grain cast bullets and it works very well. None of the powders listed does anything much better than any of the others but in lean times it's good to have as many choices as possible.

My powder of choice for .45 ACP is Unique. But since I haven't been able to find any Unique for the last six months I've switched to HP-38/W231 with good success.
Posted By: 340mag Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/18/14
http://handloads.com/loaddata/defau...type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source

both HERCO, and blue dot seem to work well for me
Lots of good info guys. Thanks.

Another question, this regarding COAL. Load to magazine length or ??
Posted By: RickyD Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/19/14
I start with the coal spec'd by the loading data as that was what was tested for pressure. Of course, it has to fit in the magazine, too, and most specified do.
Posted By: budman5 Re: What powder for 45 ACP? - 03/19/14
Have used W231 since 1980..
still working on the lot I bought during the Clinton debacle.
© 24hourcampfire