Home
Posted By: lubbockdave S&W experts-question... - 04/13/14
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6 inch barrel stainless in very good to excellent condition-what variation is it and what is it worth? I am thinking of selling some that have sat in the safe for years with no outside activity and this one my be on the block soon.

thanks for the help

Dave
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/13/14
Looks like a very clean early 686; what is the dash-number on the inside of the frame under the cylinder crane?

As to value, in that condition and that variation (assuming you have the box, tools, papers) $700 would be a fair price. Without the accessories, $600-650. Internet auction prices might be higher, and prices vary by region, but in my neck of the woods $600-650 will buy a 6" 686.
I don't see a dash?

Looks like J 913xx is the serial number.

Posted By: Oregon45 Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/13/14
Then it's a 686 "no dash," made before the first engineering change. Doesn't increase, or decrease, the value.
Hammer mounted firing pin, forged steel hammer and trigger, no key lock in the frame, so that makes it highly prized these days. Whatever its current going price is, it will be more next year, and the year after, and the year after, as supplies of such guns dry up.
Posted By: Savuti Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/13/14
686 no dash were made 1980-86. But I can't find your s/n in the production date listing. Are there letters missing?
SCSW puts NIB @ $500, but that was printed in '06 so the prices mentioned above sound reasonable.

Pete
Posted By: boatboy Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/13/14
Nice gun

A short time ago 600.00 was the going rate
something happened and its a bit north of there 650.00 to 700.00

Hank
Originally Posted by Savuti
686 no dash were made 1980-86. But I can't find your s/n in the production date listing. Are there letters missing?
SCSW puts NIB @ $500, but that was printed in '06 so the prices mentioned above sound reasonable.

Pete

Pete, there is either an A or a triangle in front of the J.
Posted By: Savuti Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/14/14
In 1980 S&W revolvers began using s/n regimen with three alphas followed by four to six numerics, a la AAA-0001.
So AJ-xxxx still doesn't seem to fit.
Posted By: Hound_va Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/14/14
I don't believe you're looking at the serial number. Take the grips off and look at the bottom of the frame.
Posted By: Sako Re: S&W experts-question... - 04/14/14
Originally Posted by Hound_va
I don't believe you're looking at the serial number. Take the grips off and look at the bottom of the frame.

Bingo
© 24hourcampfire