Home
Posted By: MoranoGrande Reloading 9mm - 04/17/14
It's been a number of years since I reloaded 9mm ammo. Last time I believe I used Winchester Action Pistol powder with 115gr bullets, but they no longer produce it. What current powder do you find to be good for the 9mm with 115gr bullet?

Thanks
Mark
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/17/14
I use Unique & Blue Dot
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
I've been using Ramshot True Blue - good accuracy and with those super fine grains it measures like water.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Winchester 231, Unique, Universal, WST all work great in my 9mm with a 124 gr.cast.

Dick
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Titegroup
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Titegroup

If you can find any. Fortunately for me, I stocked up a while back - but I haven't seen it in stock for some time.
Posted By: Boococky Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Unique & bullseye
Posted By: MoranoGrande Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Thanks, yeah some powders are hard to come by still.

I like the idea of using something that meters good. That's the one thing I dislike about a lot of the large flake powders.

I did see where Ram shot Silhouette is the same as Winchester Action Pistol. Of course that doesn't mean I can find any!
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
Power Pistol is my favorite, but hard to come by right now.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/18/14
HS-6 has been my powder since I got the gun back in the '90's.
Posted By: MoranoGrande Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
Thanks for all the input.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Titegroup

+1 for TiteGroup. Universal Clays and Unique are runners-up.
Posted By: Richdeerhunter Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
Power Pistol. Good velocity, good accuracy, clean burning.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
Power Pistol. Good velocity, good accuracy, clean burning.

You bet, combining power pistol with the 115 gr Barnes TAC-HP bullet at 1250 fps makes a very soft shooting yet effective defensive round in the little 9 mil.

Gunner
Posted By: dla Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
It's been a number of years since I reloaded 9mm ammo. Last time I believe I used Winchester Action Pistol powder with 115gr bullets, but they no longer produce it. What current powder do you find to be good for the 9mm with 115gr bullet?

Thanks
Mark

Ramshot Silhouette is (or very close to) WAP.

Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
i have used all kinds of powders in 9mm, with heavy to light bullets. But generally Hp38 or 231 which is the same thing produces a clean burning load at about 1000fps plus or minus.
Posted By: NTG Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/22/14
titegroup here...watch for double charges, however!

Me and some buddies split an 8# jug a while ago. I think I've still got 2-3 pounds. You get somewhere around 1600 loads per pound...so I'm ok....for a while, but has anyone else notice how hungry handguns are?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/23/14
I like Power Pistol for carry.
The flash lights up the night.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/23/14
Yeah, 1600 rounds can vanish awfully fast.

I just started reloading 9mm again. After years of shooting department-issue .40 and .45 ammo in my autoloaders, I decided that it would make sense to switch back to 9mm for much of my competitive shooting. I intend to purchase a 9mm 1911 in the near future, which I will use for practice using the 1911 frame, then switch to 45 ACP for matches... my cost per round will be half the cost of 45.

I still have about 10 pounds of WAP, which is my go-to 9mm powder for 115 gr target (FMJ) loads. I didn't realize Silhouette was the same powder, that's good to know. AA#5 is another good powder in 9mm, more for 124-127 gr bullets than 115's in my experience.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/23/14
Man you think 9mm can vanish fast out of a pistol...I got one of those Sterling 9mm carbines for my little boy...like trying to feed a drug habit!!
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/23/14
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

Ramshot Silhouette is the same powder as WAP according to Handloader magazine a year or so ago. I haven't seen much of any Ramshot for quite a while, but you never know what you'll stumble on to.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Reloading 9mm - 04/28/14
I have not loaded for 115 gr. However I have had very good results with AA #7 and 124 and 147 gr. FMJs.
© 24hourcampfire