Home
Posted By: viking Odd balls. - 04/18/14
Has anybody handled a Sphinx or the Steyr pistols? I handled a Sphinx pistol years ago in 45, I dried fired it and it was like a Swiss watch.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Odd balls. - 04/19/14
Did it keep correct time?
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Odd balls. - 04/19/14
IIRC, the Sphinx was a Swiss version of the CZ-75, with their attention to detail. No doubt it was finely made, at any rate.
Steyr has made some strange pistols over the years, nothing that ever interested me enough to buy one, and their ideas for sights don't interest me, either. Just plain odd, is a safe description.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Odd balls. - 04/19/14
Sphinx we're made by Solothurn, they were well made. Had problems before they were called Sphinx, but worked it all out.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Odd balls. - 04/19/14
Steyr pistols do seem odd to some, but are of good quality
and state of the art construction and features.

The Sphinx version of the CZ-75 pistol is an objet d'art.
I'd love to own one.
Posted By: viking Re: Odd balls. - 04/21/14
I handled one in Sheels sports in Bismark a few years ago, it was sweet.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Odd balls. - 04/21/14
I think the oddest pistol I've owned would probably be an H&K P7. Whoever designed it unquestionably knew how to think out of the box. smile But they do shoot accurately & reliably.

[Linked Image]

After that, probably a .40 cal Commander Colt Double Eagle, which I happen to wish I still owned. The pistol mucho jammed when I got it, but it responded to tuning and then worked fine. Today it would be worth a lot more than I got when I sold it.

[Linked Image]

Honorable mention to the XP-100, which arguably is not really a pistol smile
Posted By: viking Re: Odd balls. - 04/22/14
Those Colt double eagles were kind of neat back in the day. I had some partners that carried them.

I seen one for sale a little while ago, in 45, 850 bucks.

Thanks for the photos.
© 24hourcampfire