Home
Posted By: kend Star Model PS .45acp - 05/02/14
Is a model PS the same as a model P?
Seems I recall Kevin saying that if a P ever turns up a guy should buy it.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Star Model PS .45acp - 05/02/14
All I remember is the PD. It was a tad smaller than a Commander IIRC. Folks cherished them as carry pieces back before the Officer's Model was a reality. I remember having one for a couple of months and trading it off. Probably worth a lot to a collector today. I wouldn't rely on one for daily carry today. Better stuff out there, like a Glock 19 stuffed with Ranger +P+
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Star Model PS .45acp - 05/02/14
The Model PS is basically a Star model A/B in .45 ACP; it's a quality pistol. Although it looks like a 1911 it's very different in many ways. The trigger bar/sear is greatly simplified for ease of manufacture and repair. While this is great, it does make for slightly gritty triggers. It does not use 1911 magazines and finding magazines will be a chore, but they are out there. The PS was only imported for a year or two, so it's not a common pistol at all. These were made as military pistols before the common use of hollow points, so they typically only work with FMJ's but they're very reliable with FMJ's.

As a primary self defense pistol, wouldn't be my first choice unless it was really cheap and that's all I could afford.

But if I already had a self defense pistol, I'd LOVE to have a PS because they're just very uncommon; and I like Spanish pistols.

If you're not going to buy it, please PM me with the details of where it is and how much they want for it.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Star Model PS .45acp - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by kend
Is a model PS the same as a model P?

The PS addad a magazine safety to earn extra ATF points for importation after the 1968 GCA. OTW same as the P, as far as I remember. The A was the 9mm and the B was the 38 Super/9mm Largo. The PS is a larger frame to acommodate the 45ACP single stack 7 round mag.

The safety is under one of the plastic grips (left IIRC) and can be lifted out without any tools allowing normal operation, including saving your life with that last round in the chamber when the magazine is not in the well.

Still have on with some of the chrome plating on it. My first 45 ACP smile
Posted By: model70man Re: Star Model PS .45acp - 05/02/14
I have a PD. Col. Cooper liked them but said they should be carried a lot but shot little. I love mine.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Star Model PS .45acp - 05/04/14
I remember reading from Massad Ayoob that Star PD's had plastic rod guides that needed replacement after so many firings. Or plastic scrapings would jam the pistol. But I've never known anyone who owned a Star PD. But if thats true then it'd be a consideration for a purchaser.
© 24hourcampfire