Home
Posted By: devnull Retreiving brass for reloads? - 05/15/14
How does everyone keep tabs on their brass when shooting Semis? I'd like to look into a Dillon 550 or 650 but being able to find brass in the grass is my bigger concern in order to get it back to the press to reload.
I lose a lot at an outdoor range, and lose a lot that fall to the front of the firing line at an indoor range. At least at the indoor range a lot of people who shoot factory ammo let me take their brass that falls behind the firing line.
Place a large blue tarp on the ground to catch the brass
I would have to bring some boulders so the tarp did not wind up in Nebraska or Colorado.
can't help with finding it in the grass but I use a Magic Marker on the case heads. At least I can tell which ones are mine vs. some other guy's.
Idea's

https://www.google.com/search?q=han...=X1J0U6SmLIP1oATVw4HwAQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ
I use an appropriately sized cardboard box, with one end open and held that way with a light wooden frame, sitting on the "bench" (actually a picnic table) that I shoot off of at my woods place. Was going to apologize for not posting a picture due to problems with Photobucket, but found a picture of my set-up abut halfway down in those on the google link in 700LH's post. I am toying with the idea of stapling a net "bag" to the frame to replace the box, to make it easier to handle and set up.

Nowadays, though, I tend to leave my 10mm and .460 Rowland brass on the ground, reload with new brass.

Lots of good ideas on that google link, though.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Yup, I use a couple

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I would have to bring some boulders so the tarp did not wind up in Nebraska or Colorado.

All you need is tent stakes to hold them down
My wife and daughter both shoot. While one of us is on the line, the other two police the brass.
I have toyed with the idea modifying the ejector on Glocks so that the brass just sorta dribbles out beside me right where I stand and not flung 10' to my 5:00 into the woods and grass.

I posted about it another forum and a guy there actually executed on it and said that it does work - making it more stubby and giving a slight bend "this way". You wouldn't want to do weird drills with it and what not but it should be easy to do AND it is a very cheap part that is easy to replace/remove on Glocks.

I should sell 'em!

Mount a brass catcher on a tripod next to you. You won't be spending a bunch of time hunched over picking up brass and sweating how many you lost. Also buying a couple thousand once fired cases so you don't get bent out of shape when you loose the occasional case is also worth it.
You guys are going about it all wrong. Just think of brass picking as part of your workout regimen.
With knees locked, bend and pick up a piece of brass. Return to a full upright position and repeat as often as necessary until all brass pieces have been picked up. Before you know it, you will be limber enough to bend over and hold both hands flat against the ground.
Many indoor ranges mount a piece of soft material on the right wall of the shooting stall that redirects the brass out of your reach forward of the firing line. It's an easy means for them to steal your brass for their profit.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Retreiving brass for reloads? - 05/15/14
Originally Posted by manydogs
You guys are going about it all wrong. Just think of brass picking as part of your workout regimen.
With knees locked, bend and pick up a piece of brass. Return to a full upright position and repeat as often as necessary until all brass pieces have been picked up. Before you know it, you will be limber enough to bend over and hold both hands flat against the ground.

Good point smile
I use one of those brass catchers. It doesn't collect every thing but it does, to a degree, work. I figure if I shoot a hundred rounds and get to collect 95 to 98 empties I've done alright for myself.

This ^^^

I shoot with a buddy, and we take turns standing to one side and catching the brass with our hats.

Posted By: RWE Re: Retreiving brass for reloads? - 05/16/14
I give my daughter a metal detector, and a bounty.
I use a revolver , it saves my brass for me.

Mike
Originally Posted by alukban
I have toyed with the idea modifying the ejector on Glocks so that the brass just sorta dribbles out beside me right where I stand and not flung 10' to my 5:00 into the woods and grass.

I posted about it another forum and a guy there actually executed on it and said that it does work - making it more stubby and giving a slight bend "this way". You wouldn't want to do weird drills with it and what not but it should be easy to do AND it is a very cheap part that is easy to replace/remove on Glocks.

I should sell 'em!

You seriously should. Great idea.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike
Bingo. wink

+1

Just don't stay in that position too long.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I should sell 'em!

You seriously should. Great idea.

This sounds like a really bad idea for a self-defense weapon. I'm not surprised Hawkeye is enthused.

That's funny because that's the way I look at it as part of the old man exercise regimen.
Originally Posted by s4s4u

This ^^^

Hell, blue tape scares Deer, use a blue tarp and there won't be one left in the state.
You guys gotta pay attention to things like that. grin

This
Originally Posted by RWE
I give my daughter a metal detector, and a bounty.

I like this idea. My son is always up for some metal detecting. Bet he'd do it for free. smile
Where I shoot my pistols, bending over is not the problem - seeing them in the weeds to know WHERE to bend over is the problem.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike
Bingo. wink

This is why I shoot bolts and levers and revolvers more than my semis.

With the semis I tend to spend a fair amount of time policing brass but consider it part of the game. Went to an IPSC (?) safety class a few years back. Everyone was shooting factory ammo and nobody was picking it up. Went home with a couple big bags of .45ACP.

At the rifle ranges I'm happy to police what others leave behind if it's from factory ammo. In addition to standard brass, I've got a bunch of nickel-plated cases that way, including .375H&H. Couldn't leave that behind and I don't even own a .375 H&H.
Gonna need a bigazz blue tarp if shooting a CZ 52
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Many indoor ranges mount a piece of soft material on the right wall of the shooting stall that redirects the brass out of your reach forward of the firing line. It's an easy means for them to steal your brass for their profit.

boy that is the truth

I should sell 'em!

Glock beat you to it. It's called the Gen4.

Sorry, could'nt resist. sick
© 24hourcampfire