Home
So we all like to brag on our favorite handguns, so let's take it another way...what DON'T you like about your primary carry gun?

I carry the S&W M1911PD (Lightweight Commander). I don't like the beavertail that S&W has chosen, kind of a Wilson-ish copy. I much prefer the Ed Brown. And while I like a black gun for self defense, I'll admit that I've never seen a better finish for a daily carry gun than hard chrome...I may hard chrome my blaster at some point. I'll be doing some Ceracoat in the coming weeks, I may just Ceracoat it in the interim...just depends on if I get a wild hair.

I don't like that it came with a FLGR, but I corrected that.
There is nothing that I don't like about my CC handgun.
If there was, I would get something else.
Glock 30SF-hates 200 grain lead semi wadcutters and 230 grain lead round nose. I can get it to feed the round nose if I jack up the powder charge to maximum. Nothing seems to work with the SWCs.

Springfield XDs-grip texturing is too aggressive and it comes with a useless suitcase, holster and mag pouch I had to pay for as part of the price

Sig P938-right side of ambidextrous safety rattles

All are first world problems. Not really a big deal.
Glock 33 ( dept issued O/D- back up

Short grip for my big hands.
But if I carry it off duty I have a couple mags with +1 grip extensions

Noisy little bastid

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sig P220 DAK

the grips feel kinda chunky
I wish my XDS .45 ACP Springfield had a magazine that held 15 rounds. Other than that, it's pretty good. laugh
I carry two different Smith third gen 9mms, one TDA and one DAO.

I wish the TDA was decock only. I wish the DAO had second strike capability.

But I would say both of those issues are picking nits. No plan on changing anytime soon, if ever.
I wish mine held more ammo without being taller and had more sight radius without being longer.
Glock 17, pretty easy to get along with.

I did work on the grip with some sandpaper, removed most of the hump on the rear lower area of the grip, rounded all the corners on the grip. Feels natural in the hand now, and the sights line up naturally.
wish my glock 42 had an extra round or 2 in the magazine
I wish my RIA Tac-10 had regular sights instead of a giant glowing orange orb way out there. A nicer trigger. The one that it came with is OK, and far better than most, but could stand to be lighter. Overall weight coming down might be nice. A Titanium/Scandium gun Something around 25 ounes or so, would be da bomb. Or perhaps a Graphite/Poly framed 10mm would be AWSOME!
My primaries are the Kahr CW-9 and the XD-S in .45.

The XD-S should have been made half an inch longer in the grip for a 6 round mag and would be perfect. The aggressive grip checkering is completely negated with a good grip tape or Talons for about 12 dollars. If not, I could easily live with it.

The CW-9 is near perfect. Had it to the range last Friday and at 12 yards it was putting the bullets into a cluster you could cover with a silver dollar at a pace that could be described as brisk. Some complain about the long trigger, but they'd also complain about a woman who warms up a bit slowly.

Originally Posted by rockchucker
wish my glock 42 had an extra round or 2 in the magazine

Wish mine was a 9mm cool

Why carry a handgun, that one doesn't like? If I carry it, then is like it.
Why do you not like the FLGR?
My primary carry gun is a 1952 Colt Commander in .38 Super that I had customized to my specs...it is perfect as far as I amconcerned...

[Linked Image]

Glock 19...added a set of TruGlo TFO sights...just perfect (for a Glock that is)

S&W 6906...added a set of MMC Tactical Adjustable night sights like on the 1911 above..perfect.

Kahr P380 with night sights...pefect out of the box...

Guess I don't expect much...

Bob
Only 5 shots. I want something like Damon Knight's 2mm needler, bet it holds a lot.

What you DON'T like about your CC handgun?

It's not a phaser.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Why carry a handgun, that one doesn't like? If I carry it, then is like it.

Simple, money......

Only lack of funds to make the neccesary upgrades just yet. And, not wanting to be without a serious handgun while it was being tweaked. Have three nice long guns to sell that I am taking pictures of shortly, so should have some gun improvement cash, and now I have two adequately powerful concealed carry guns in my RIA 10mm and my S&W 329PD 44 Magnum. Each need only sights and a trigger job to be perfect, might have Mr. Huntington do the both of them. One at a time, though so I have one really good gun to carry besides my P3AT 380. PM me if you want a shot at my LH WBY Mk V deluxe in 300, full custom 220 Swift, 9 twist (both with gorgeous wood, BTW) or a still in its box Browning BL-22 short throw lever action 22LR Grade ll with some engraving on the receiver etc. As soon as one of those goes down the road, new sights and a trigger job on an least one of the carry and hunting pieces.
Originally Posted by safariman
I wish my RIA Tac-10 had regular sights instead of a giant glowing orange orb way out there. A nicer trigger. The one that it came with is OK, and far better than most, but could stand to be lighter. Overall weight coming down might be nice. A Titanium/Scandium gun Something around 25 ounes or so, would be da bomb. Or perhaps a Graphite/Poly framed 10mm would be AWSOME!

The McCormick "Match Prepped" hammer and sear are EDM cut from tool steel and the sear engagement surfaces are already prepped. Meaning, you can get a downright decent trigger pull from just dropping these parts in. Further tuning of the sear spring can drop the trigger pull weight down a little more. You won't get a 2.5lb trigger, but it will likely be very crisp and around 4lbs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319104/chip-mccormick-match-prepped-hammer-1911-blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/330535/chip-mccormick-match-prepped-sear-1911
Originally Posted by GunGeek

The McCormick "Match Prepped" hammer and sear are EDM cut from tool steel and the sear engagement surfaces are already prepped. Meaning, you can get a downright decent trigger pull from just dropping these parts in. Further tuning of the sear spring can drop the trigger pull weight down a little more. You won't get a 2.5lb trigger, but it will likely be very crisp and around 4lbs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319104/chip-mccormick-match-prepped-hammer-1911-blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/330535/chip-mccormick-match-prepped-sear-1911

That sounds like a great start! Thanks a bunch, once again.

I wish someone made, (maybe they do?) Tritium sights that were something other than a big round circle for nighttime emergency shooting. Maybe a stright white line up the middle of the front square top sight, and either a glowing white outline or, I suppose two dots on the rear would be OK, so long as they were EXACTLY at the very top of the rear sight and not 'a bit down' like most are. Another good idea would be a pointy arrow filled with tritium for a front sight. point coming ALL THE WAY TO THE VERY TOP of the front sight so that it helps with precision shooting at game in daylight and is not just a one trick pony night sight.

I just put (and then heavily ground down to fit my hand) a set of rosewood CT lazer sights on the 10mm, so it does not need tritium at all. Just a good useable hunting, target and concealed carry front sight. Already has a tapered body NOVAK rear sight. Easy enough to dremel out the white circles from that sight. So that one only needs a trigger job and new front sight to be nigh onto perfect. And damn, does that gun ever SHOOT! Scary accurate and dead nuts reliable with about any reasonable ammo.
I don't like the skeletonized trigger that came on my SR1911. So I replaced it with a plain black trigger (no holes). I have taken to carrying my HP some of the time now. One of these days, I'm going to remkve the mag disconnect to improve the trigger. Other than that, it's all good.
My primary carry gun is an all stainless Kahr K40. A few months ago I got thinking about changing it out for something a bit smaller like the XDs or maybe a Ruger LC9, then, while visiting my BIL's gun shop I did some side by side comparisons. There wasn't enough difference in the dimensions between the Kahr and the 2 other guns I mentioned to make any real world difference.

Once that issue was settled my only complaints would be weight and maybe magazine capacity.
Originally Posted by RJM
My primary carry gun is a 1952 Colt Commander in .38 Super that I had customized to my specs...it is perfect as far as I amconcerned...

[Linked Image]

Glock 19...added a set of TruGlo TFO sights...just perfect (for a Glock that is)

S&W 6906...added a set of MMC Tactical Adjustable night sights like on the 1911 above..perfect.

Bob
That is such a sweet pistol...

But didn't you know that 1911's don't work? I mean you're lucky if it goes bang the first time and it's a MIRACLE if they feed the second round. No one has ever seen a 3rd round feed ever...or so says the Glock nuts.
Originally Posted by RJM
My primary carry gun is a 1952 Colt Commander in .38 Super that I had customized to my specs...it is perfect as far as I am concerned...

[Linked Image]

Bob
As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. That is damn near an ideal daily carry piece as far as I can tell.

MMC sights - I have the same sight on my LW Commander; it's just plain outstanding. Decent (not great, but not bad) sight picture. Metal quality is top notch, and it's adjustable. The sight is a "snag free" design, but it sits up high enough that you can one hand cycle the slide by catching the sight on the belt. Mine are tritium, I'm betting yours are too. It's a real shame MMC/PT Night Sights went out of business. When my vials wear out, I'll probably just have them replaced.

Lightweight trigger, to accomodate a good trigger job.
Smooth grip panels - This makes a lot of sense on a carry gun, especially one carried IWB. 1- you don't have checkering wearing a rough spot on your flank. 2 - During a fast draw, your hands aren't being held too sticky to the gun, allowing you to make minute grip adjustments during the draw.

Grip safety, and Safety - Personally I'd have the McCormick extended thumb safety and an Ed Brown grip safety. But the setup you have would suit me just fine. No bite, but minimalistic on the grip safety. Or one of the old Jim Hoag grip safeties.

Hard Chrome - Nothing is tougher for wear. I carried a Hard Chrome Hi Power for a full decade and the finish looked just as good the day I sold it.

.38 Super - That's just a great round. Flat shooting, soft recoiling, hard hitting, and great barrier penetration.

Nice gun!!
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob
That is such a sweet pistol...

But didn't you know that 1911's don't work? I mean you're lucky if it goes bang the first time and it's a MIRACLE if they feed the second round. No one has ever seen a 3rd round feed ever...or so says the Glock nuts.

About as nice as it gets imho.
My Glock 19s and 23 are perfect. After I put Meprolight sights on them, stippled them and sanded the trigger guards to better fit my hand they are more perfect. Stair tape on top and sides of the slide finished the job.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My Glock 19s and 23 are perfect. After I put Meprolight sights on them, stippled them and sanded the trigger guards to better fit my hand they are more perfect. Stair tape on top and sides of the slide finished the job.

mike r

I used skateboard tape for the front of the gripframe on my RIA. Who needs checkering?!? Plus a goodly amount of finger groove grinding, relief groove for my thumb for mag release button and then re polishing on the (formerly) overly fat new Roeswood CT lazergrps.
Safariman, you consider your RIA 10mm, 329PD 44mag and a P3AT to be "really good" carry guns? That explains so much. The lazer grips really will make the difference for you.

mike r
What's not to like? ...

> > http://www.lesbaer.com/1911UltTact.html < <
Originally Posted by P_Weed
What's not to like? ...

> > http://www.lesbaer.com/1911UltTact.html < <

No straight Eights.
M&P9C...works just fine. Dont care how it looks, as long as it works. I dont need lasers, or night sights..
For what I carry for my SR9c works great. Surprisingly accurate and quite concealable. Plus, with two extra mags I got 44 rds of Hornady CD on tap. Oughta be enough... wink

I will probably throw some night sights on it, though.
I love both my M&P's 9 & .45
If there was something I didn't like about any of my carry guns, I sure as hell wouldn't carry them.

MM
Or fix/change it.
Yeah, goes w/o saying...........

MM
Meh...

It's only your life on the line... laugh
Hey Bob, what's your carry load in the Super?
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If there was something I didn't like about any of my carry guns, I sure as hell wouldn't carry them.

MM
Some dislikes can be pretty minor. If there was something serious I didn't like about my carry gun, it would be changed or I would carry something else.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Yeah, goes w/o saying...........

MM

I had to leave a few bread crumbs so TAK could find his way!
I don't like the idiot mark on mine (no, I didn't put it there).

Other than that it feeds and fires everything and hits.

Its a ported V10, supposedly bad thing, but I don't see what all the hoopla against them really is. Not an issue.
Safariman, you consider your RIA 10mm, 329PD 44mag and a P3AT to be "really good" carry guns? That explains so much. The lazer grips really will make the difference for you.

mike r

Yeah, I do. So what? My RIA is a better gun than my Colt Delta Elite was, and my 329PD is a breeze for me to carry or hide out. P3AT is never a first choice gun, but for pocket carry it is just fine. Always goes bang and the +P+ Buff Bore ammo penetrates like a freight train according to all tests done so far.

So, what exactly DOES that say about me, other than my experience and preferences might be different than yours, and I do not have the cash for a $3,000 1911 these days? Do tell.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
There is nothing that I don't like about my CC handgun.
If there was, I would get something else.
Beat me to it..

Originally Posted by HawkI
...Its a ported V10, supposedly bad thing, but I don't see what all the hoopla against them really is. Not an issue.

The story goes that porting increases muzzle flash, and it's true; to some degree.

While it does increase muzzle flash, stop action photos will show that the flash typically doesn't ignite until it's a ways above your line of sight. Yeah, you still get that extra flash, but it's not nearly as bad as people say/think it is. And the type of porting that the V10 has does reduce velocity. Normally I don't recommend the Speer Short Barrel ammunition for a compact .45 ACP because standard .45 ACP is so efficient. But the V10 is the one pistol where I do recommend the Short Barrel Load. Since standard velocity .45 ACP will lose some significant velocity (greater than 100fps), expansion will be compromised somewhat. The softer bullet in the Short Barrel load ought to put it right back where it ought to be.
...The story goes that porting increases muzzle flash, and it's true; to some degree.

While it does increase muzzle flash, stop action photos will show that the flash typically doesn't ignite until it's a ways above your line of sight. Yeah, you still get that extra flash, but it's not nearly as bad as people say/think it is�.

�..porting makes shooting from retention exciting and often memorable�..don't ask me how I know. blush

mike r
So why would these not be good choices? Seriously, can you answer that?
Originally Posted by gmoats
...The story goes that porting increases muzzle flash, and it's true; to some degree.

While it does increase muzzle flash, stop action photos will show that the flash typically doesn't ignite until it's a ways above your line of sight. Yeah, you still get that extra flash, but it's not nearly as bad as people say/think it is�.

�..porting makes shooting from retention exciting and often memorable�..don't ask me how I know. blush
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...just a tad hard on clothing...eyebrows, hair, etc.

Did that with a comped .356 TSW single action S&W 59 conversion...ONCE. Ruined a pair of Oakley's, and they're still looking for my hat.
hmmm guess the main thing I don't like about it is that if I take it to many other states all of a sudden it's a legal liability instead of an asset.

that pretty well sucks, I don't understand why "shall not be infringed" is so difficult for folks?

well yes I do get it, it's not hard to understand, the TPTB detest a free people, it interferes with their goals to steal your money and wield power over you/us.

on the one hand they want FED laws to trump state laws, but when it comes to the 2nd, out the window that notion goes.

so much of what they do and say just disgusts me in DC, but that is probably near the top.

there is nothing more noble imo, than a man or woman that protects their own.

and yet if I want to take my family to Chicago (where I once lived) to take in all the wonderful sights and things to do in that city, it's dang near impossible as they've created a war zone their by disarming the law abiding public.

you're at the mercy of those that disregard the laws....all of them.

guess that's what I dislike most about it, that an inanimate object can cause such a furor and result in such different interpretations of it's legality, when the evidence clearly shows you're far safer where the good guys are allowed to go armed as well.

that's politicians for you, up is down, black is white.

lying cocksuckas
1. RIA=entry level gun w/ sketchy record for reliability. Reliability should be first consideration for a self defense gun.
2. 329PD an awesome gun for hand gun hunting which is the stated design goal of the mfg. Shot to shot recovery time makes it less than optimum for self defense.
3. P3AT,gack,stuff it w/ high pressure loads and strain a weak system even more.
4. Low capacity handguns as a CC choice indicate that the user can predict the number of attackers and the shots required to stop each attacker.
5. ammo/caliber choices indicate that the user believes that the ammo is a major factor in stopping potential threats.
6. For the cost of the 329 PD you have many better choices. mr
1. RIA=entry level gun w/ sketchy record for reliability. Reliability should be first consideration for a self defense gun.
2. 329PD an awesome gun for hand gun hunting which is the stated design goal of the mfg. Shot to shot recovery time makes it less than optimum for self defense.
3. P3AT,gack,stuff it w/ high pressure loads and strain a weak system even more.
4. Low capacity handguns as a CC choice indicate that the user can predict the number of attackers and the shots required to stop each attacker.
5. ammo/caliber choices indicate that the user believes that the ammo is a major factor in stopping potential threats.

You don't actually get around much, do you?

1. The RIA actually has a good record of reliability, overall. Any problems that I have seen or read reports of were found early and easily fixed (like extractor tuning - which is simple).

2. No one who has hunted with big-bore hanguns considers the .329pd as an ideal "hunting gun". It was never intended for that. S&W does not market that particular gun as a hunting arm, and even if they did, few would shoose it for that. It is a defensive handgun gainst large predators. As such, it s a hard platform to beat. Carried for smaller threats, it can be loaded with .44spl +p for faster follow-up shots.

3. I'm not a fan of the .380 - but if I were, I would have no problem with the p3at. Very comfortable to shoot, compared to the usual blow-back .380....even in a steel frame. For what it is designed for (deep concealment), it works very well.

I have put rounds downrange from all three, and all three serve their purpose quite well.

I owned the RIA before I passed it on to my son (which I would never do with anything I didn't trust fully). It has had a few thousand or more trouble-free rounds through it. Others I have seen are just as good (some with much higher round count). Entry level? Yes. Parked finish and no frills keep the cost down. That doesn't mean it isn't a good gun. At least one long-tme 1911 specialist I know of has stated that the RIA pistols are quite true to original spec, and the parts are not prone to breakage.

I have friends who I shoot with who own the other two. Wouldn't be afraid to put either to use as defensive arms, in the situation that calls for it. I have yet to hear of either failing to function.
FreeMe, If the RIA and P3AT match your personal needs you are the only one who has to rationalize your choices. Go to S&W's websight and read their description of the 329PD and you will be able to use facts to support your theories. No, I don.t get out much but I do work at 1 of the world's busiest commercial gun ranges and see a variety of guns in actual use. The RIA and P3AT fail their owners at a depressing rate. YMMV.

mike r
Entry level gun...that right there tells me you're one of those who knows just enough to be dangerous. LOTS of opinion, but little experience beyond what you currently own.

Regardless of make, model, or manufacturer. NO gun is proven until it's proven by the USER. And even if it's the cheapest gun in the world, if it's PROVEN to be reliable, than it's reliable.

You Glock guys read about all these elite units and then somehow correlate that to a "need" for an individual. REALITY check here...How many magazines do you carry? If your gun is reliable for as many magazines you carry, and is 100% reliable every time; that's all you need. After you're out of ammo, it matters not one iota that your gun is capable of going another 2,000 rounds. That is a training convenience, not a tactical necessity no matter what you tell yourself. WE ARE CIVILIANS LIVING IN THE US. WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS IN THE MIDDLE EAST, DO YOU GET THAT?

As for magazine capacity. Cops have carried single stack guns for at least a generation now, and I'm not aware of anyone who was killed because they had a single stack gun that ran out of ammo.

But let's entertain your little fantasy here. Let's say there are 8-10 guys you're facing. Do you REALLY think you're going to win, and the deciding factor is the magazine capacity of your pistol? You read too many adventure novels, and it sounds like you have ZERO experience in the field.

At no time in the history of handguns has anyone fired several thousands of rounds in one instance of defense. To think that's a necessity shows you don't know the difference between needs and wants.

As for the 329PD...it's what he HAS. Mark is a LARGE dood; could probably carry an M14 in an IWB. I doubt he has any trouble concealing an N frame S&W. And I doubt he carries full magnum loads, probably specials.

So because of what he currently has in his safe, you have extrapolated that Mark is some idiot who not only can't make a sound decision (because anyone who chooses anything different from this or that elite military unit is just an idiot) about a gun for self defense, nor can he shoot.

You are so far beyond idiot, that the light from idiot would still take a million years to reach you.
Your prescience in describing my experience and opinions indicate that you are a deep thinker. I do not have the tools to oppose your intellectual prowess so choose to not do so. Have a nice day.

mike r

Wow, since when? I consider it a rather poor choice as a primary handgun for hunting. This is a backup gun, IMO.
Whitworth1. I know nothing about handgun hunting other than popping a few coyotes/bunnies as targets of opportunity. My reference was taken from S&W's websight. I have fired the gun on the range and noticed it does recoil a bit.

mike r
I wish my CC gun fired ammunition that would seek out the offender, blow them to bits, and pour me a scotch to settle my nerves. Since none of my CC weapons do that - that's what is wrong with them.
Originally Posted by dla
I wish my CC gun fired ammunition that would seek out the offender, blow them to bits, and pour me a scotch to settle my nerves. Since none of my CC weapons do that - that's what is wrong with them.

Mine don't either, maybe we are choosing the wrong pistols. grin
Originally Posted by dla
Now that was just brilliant!!!
FreeMe, If the RIA and P3AT match your personal needs you are the only one who has to rationalize your choices. Go to S&W's websight and read their description of the 329PD and you will be able to use facts to support your theories. No, I don.t get out much but I do work at 1 of the world's busiest commercial gun ranges and see a variety of guns in actual use. The RIA and P3AT fail their owners at a depressing rate. YMMV.

mike r

I have spent a lot of time at the range too, over the years. And I notice that an awful lot of people can take what in competent hands would be perfectly reliable and render it totally unreliable for anyone. You have no idea what someone has done to their personal gun, and the 1911 is probably the most dinked-with handgun of all time. The entry-level price of the RIA almost guarantees that it will be the most dinked-with 1911. Doesn't surprise me that you would see some of them not work. If you knew the 1911, you might figure that out.

As far as what S&W says about the 329pd on their website - a little reading comprehension is in order.....

Smith & Wesson combined a Scandium alloy frame with a Titanium cylinder to build the strongest and lightest weight .44 Magnum revolver made. The result...maximum power in a small, lightweight, easy-to-carry package. Smith & Wesson's large frame revolvers are a favorite choice among handgun hunters, competitive shooters and revolver enthusiasts. These revolvers are available from production, Night Guard, M&P, Classics, Champion Series and Performance Center in a variety of chamberings in .357 Magnum�, .44 Magnum� and .45 ACP. Offered in several different barrel lengths, Smith & Wesson provides the user plenty of options for a variety of shooting applications.

Need I explain to you that the text is pretty generic, and about S&W large-frame revolvers in general? If you read into that some designation of the 329pd as a "hunting revolver", I am sorry about your reading disability. Those of us who were around for the introduction of this model and were paying attention know what it is meant for.

eta: Oh - the little P3AT also gets a lot of dremel time on the kitchen table. Just spend a little time on the K-T forums, and you can see that. People like to tinker with their cheaper guns. Many of them should not.
Originally Posted by dla
Now that was just brilliant!!!

Indeed.
Whitworth1. I know nothing about handgun hunting other than popping a few coyotes/bunnies as targets of opportunity. My reference was taken from S&W's websight. I have fired the gun on the range and noticed it does recoil a bit.

mike r
You are right that the recoil is rather severe with the 329; not fun. With full magnums it's a handful to say the least. But with a semi-hot .44 Special it's VERY controllable, and a downright decent shooter. What's more, there are guys who can rapid fire light .44's quite effectively. I actually won USPSA revolver division at a fairly large match in the early '90's shooting a 4" Anaconda (which admittedly is much heavier than a 329) shooting factory Federal 240 grain JHP's...just to see how I'd do. Takes a good deal more concentration, but it can be done. And like I said, Mark is one [i]grande]/i] sized dood.

I carried a Mountain gun IWB once...it was doable. Not great, but doable. Wouldn't be my first or even 10th choice, but if it was all I had.
A good friend of mine carries the 329pd as his primary defensive gun while out in the sticks. Used to be LEO firearms and defense trainer (moved on to better things). I've seen him shoot just about everything well and fast. Guess he's lost his mind, packing a gun like that. [sarcasm]

FreeMe, the fact that you spend time on Kel Tec forums answers many questions. If you had the mental energy to complete your perusal of the S&W forum you may have learned more. I am glad to know that you have a friend. Have a nice day

mike r
GG, It is 2014. What you did or did not do in the "90's" is no longer relevant nor are you. Have a nice day

mike r
Imagine just for a second if we all had the exact same experiences. I am pretty sure GunGeek has something to bring to the table.
Not a damn thing, if I didnt like 'em I wouldnt trust the lives of my loved ones with them.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Imagine just for a second if we all had the exact same experiences. I am pretty sure GunGeek has something to bring to the table.

Agreed 1000%

lvmiker, you have said some amazingly brazen and ill advisded things, but suggesting that GunGeek is not relevant here takes the cake.

And yes, MY RIA is very reliable. And accurate.

My 329PD is loaded with 260gr SWC's backed by 10.0grs of Unique. I can shoot six of them fast and accurately. It does help that I have a hard time finding gloves big enough for my hands, but it is a fact that I am large enough to easily pack this gun, well hidden. My 10mm goes with me the most, but I do like the 329PD sometimes, too.

Please note the FIRST part of S&W's description of the 329PD,

"Easy to carry"

And for me, it is. I had been packing my full size 1911's in 10mm for stream fishing, but the light weight of the 329PD makes fishing and hiking that much more pleasant.

Kel Tecs are amazingly reliable guns, and wonderfully light. We have three in our household. Our P3AT has never bobbled. And as soon as I bought it I took it out with 1/2 dozen different kinds of ammo and shot it dry, unlubed in sub freezing temerpatures to TRY to make it bobble before we started to carry it. And with Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo, the 380 is a pretty nasty little round for very close ranges.

Quite OK to state one's experiences, opinions etc. and if so desired state something of one's background. But to negate or devalue someone else's opinions, choices or experience here is not acceptable. Quite crass, rude and unwarranted, actually.

By your standards, Jeff Cooper and Bill Jordan, were they alive today, would have nothing to bring to this forum. I do not subscribe to that line of reasoning at all. Quite the opposite.
Everybody shut up and listen to the guy who works at a gunshop. They're known to be full of wisdom in these matters.
Safariman, you recently whined,again, about how decrepit you are, now you are huge and robust and have O.J.'s gloves. Cooper and Jordan are still dead.

mike r
See? Wisdom pouring forth, like a fount of every blessing.
Bluedreaux, would that be similar to asking a cop about use of force? let the wisdom from your fount flow.

mike r
Safariman, you recently whined,again, about how decrepit you are, now you are huge and robust and have O.J.'s gloves. Cooper and Jordan are still dead.

mike r

I have Kidney Disease and it gives me lots of challenges, for sure. But I can still shoot, ride my Harley, etc. some, on about 1/2 my days. On the occasional good days sometimes can ride or shoot quite a bit. My skeleton and muscles are still there.

Why are you being a problem child instead of just adding something good to the discussion?
Bluedreaux, would that be similar to asking a cop about use of force? let the wisdom from your fount flow.

mike r

I would trust Bluedraux with proper and correct use of force. But there you are again being an ass, cutting on another good member(or trying to, without much success). Why? What is this crap adding into the topic or knowledge base here?

mike r

Oh the stupidity!
While rampant in lv's latests posts, Stupidity I can deal with. Bringing down a good thread with personal attacks, THAT is intolerable and childish. And serves no good purpose, quite a few bad ones.

mike r

Yes.

Most cops' understanding of UoF is confined to what their department policy says "we'll fire you if you do these things". Just like most gunshop employees' understanding of guns is confined to what the price tag says the gun costs.

Excellent example. You're smarter than I have you credit for.
Bd, thank you for that. I thought use of force was a matter of law and common decency, not administrative fiat. I did not realize that feelings were so squishy here so I must attempt to be more gentle. To me personal attacks mean reference to family etc. Comments and opinions must be edited to protect certain delicate flowers in our midst. Perhaps I need to learn the appropriate use of verbage or maybe I'll just harden the fu*k up. Pricetags in gunshops are for suckers, a real gsg will talk you into a Kel Tec.

mike r
I'm tuning my lips to sing thy praise.
Bd, your gerbil voodoo has been strong, please be gentle as I am old and sensitive.

mike r
Is it crazy having to do the "shotgun weddings" and bachelorette parties at the gun range AND trying to find time for hardcore gunfighter training?
Bd, your gerbil voodoo has been strong, please be gentle as I am old and sensitive.

mike r

[Linked Image]
LOL, you have found the soft underbelly of my work environment. I actually go to work prior to opening to train. Once the doors
open it is pretty weird. The bachelorette parties are fun to watch sometimes. I wish I was a hardcore gunfighter but at my age I have to work hard just to stay competent. I also believe that hardcore is mostly a mental thing.

mike r
Not surprising but something tells me lvmiker has been roughed up a time or three by some good cops.
MCH you have nailed it.For several years I worked in an opfor role i.e. the bad guy. I got pummeled on a regular basis and loved almost every minute of it. The best cops sometimes were not as gentle as you would think.

mike r
lvmiker after a hard day at the range

[Linked Image]
Wow Boocoky, I have arrived at the nadir of my internet experience. You have a cruel but rapier-like wit and I am truly humbled. A guy does have to decompress after a grueling day.

mike r

mike r
Keep at it genius, you're endearing yourself to everyone here...might want to start shopping new forums; I'm not sure anyone here is interested in anything you have to say anymore.
Why are you being a problem child instead of just adding something good to the discussion?
Because he's young and enthusiastic. He works at a shooting range and he's seen some stuff first hand; so he knows it all, and it knows it better than anyone else here.

What's more, along with being opinionated, he's pretty insecure. He's afraid if he isn't born out to be right, it will crush his opinion of himself.

So like all the other highly opinionated guys who are insecure little boy's inside, he's going to come out swinging just as hard as he can against anyone who opposes him.

He's already indicated he's not interested in learning anything; he know's it all. Acts just like a teenager.
This whole thread is reminiscent of the old "Brick Top" days
Bd, thank you for that. I thought use of force was a matter of law and common decency, not administrative fiat. I did not realize that feelings were so squishy here so I must attempt to be more gentle. To me personal attacks mean reference to family etc. Comments and opinions must be edited to protect certain delicate flowers in our midst. Perhaps I need to learn the appropriate use of verbage or maybe I'll just harden the fu*k up. Pricetags in gunshops are for suckers, a real gsg will talk you into a Kel Tec.

mike r
Here's the thing...what you don't get is common courtesy for the people who have been on this forum a decade or two. If you spoke to people in a civil tone, you could make exactly the same points in a way that encourages gentlemanly debate, rather than name calling and telling everyone that your gun can beat up my gun, and because everyone else doesn't see it your way, they all must be idiots.

You're a rude little chit, and now that you've been called on your actions, you've become a sniveling rude little chit. Go play in your sandbox and let the adults talk awhile.
Originally Posted by gmoats
This whole thread is reminiscent of the old "Brick Top" days
Yeah, and just like Brick and Lee24, he just doesn't know when to quit. Just a troll. Must be here because he was kicked out of other forums.
GG, I am sure you are correct. My youthful enthusiasm sometimes clouds my judgement and causes me to not show sufficient respect for my elders. I would appreciate it if you would accept my apologies and let me continue to participate on this site. I promise you will see a kinder and gentler me.

mike r
GG, I am sure you are correct. My youthful enthusiasm sometimes clouds my judgement and causes me to not show sufficient respect for my elders. I would appreciate it if you would accept my apologies and let me continue to participate on this site. I promise you will see a kinder and gentler me.

mike r

Mike, THAT is cool and also very big of you. As far as I am concerned, forgiveness granted and I am looking forward to good conversations in the future where your current experience is put to good use and brings light into conversations.

Carry on, lets keep up the fun and gun talk!

MARK

mike r
This is an un-moderated forum; it is 100% up to you.

Everyone here knows I've been an arse from time to time, and you can count on me sticking my foot in my mouth one or two times per year. If I'm just being an arse, I'll pull my head out and apologize. If I was wrong, I'll fess up and just say I was wrong. Ask anyone, I've done it a few times.

I've been a competitive shooter in most disciplines, I've been a gunsmith for over 25 years, I've been a bodyguard, I've been a paramedic for 16 years, I've written for most of the gun magazines, I've worked on thousands of military arms. Hell, even been in an honest to goodness fight with a bear. I've been a bullet caster and reloader for 30 years, even competed in benchrest, which is the ultimate test of a reloader. I've done a lot of stuff, seen a lot of things, and have had some very uncommon opportunities to be exposed to gun related thins that most are never exposed to.

AND I LEARN FROM THESE GUYS ON THIS FORUM EVERY DAMN DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

I do not know it all...every day I'm reminded that I don't.

You have some first hand experience. I too managed an indoor shooting range about 20 years ago, and got to see a lot of things first hand that most don't get to see; it was educational. But it was just one of many things I've learned over the years.

Along with observation comes critical thinking. You observe something then it's time to seriously ponder what you've just seen. Is the lesson absolute? I'll tell you right now, it rarely is.

Last piece of advice, never try to say you've been in someone's shoes if you haven't. I would never deny your direct personal experience. I may disagree with the conclusions you make, but unless YOU start with the ridicule, I and most everyone else here will not ridicule you for the conclusions you make if they are made from personal experience.

I have come full circle on so many things. Back in the late '80's and early '90's Glocks were just completely unreliable and I've literally seen them fall apart on the range (really, saw a Glock return to battery and the slide just keep going...and I saw this not once, but twice). I didn't trust a Glock for several years. But I've learned, they're damn good pistols now. Nowadays, I don't make many absolute statements; that's when feet go in mouths.

I'd love to have you as a part of this forum. And I can't make you go or stay. But if you tear into people who have been here for years, people who have made this forum what it is, then you'll just be a big target. Hope you decide to stay and learn; like I did.
GG, I may appear to be a caustic,sarcastic opinionated S.O.B. Actually I probably am all of that. However your last post seemed to be genuine and I value that. Thank you for your concern.

mike r
The thing about portraying yourself as an all-knowing ninja on the innternets is that somebody's likely to call you on it.

For example....
-Somebody could theoretically google a list of approved training providers in your city where you're employed as a "firearms instructor".
-Then cross reference that with the name or partial name you use online.
-Then see which folks with that partial name work at a gun range similar to what you've bragged about.
-And pretty quickly narrow down who you likely are and just how awesome your resume actually is.

And THEORETICALLY they could discover that your career as a firearms instructor largely involves giving free CCW classes or catering to the bachelorette parties and weddings in the VIP lounge of a luxurious indoor range. And then your ninja cred goes out the window.

Theoretically, anyway.
GG, I may appear to be a caustic,sarcastic opinionated S.O.B.
That makes two of us, I think we'll be alright. Glad we could work it out.
Bd your research skills are impressive and must have exposed the entirety of my experience because you have so stated. I know of nobody who"brags" about working at a gunrange. I am not sure when I claimed Ninja skills as I neither like sushi or speak jap. Theoretically speaking of course. However you are correct about me being all knowing.

mike r
�..heck, I prefer dripping sarcasm to insufferable condescension any day��.
FreeMe, the fact that you spend time on Kel Tec forums answers many questions. If you had the mental energy to complete your perusal of the S&W forum you may have learned more. I am glad to know that you have a friend. Have a nice day

mike r

Haven't been on the K-T forum for years. I admit to spending a good deal of time there in the past, to see what owners are saying about their guns. So What?

I have to apologize to you. I was out of line with the "reading comprehension" remark. But, consider this....

2.5" 629

Does that look like a hunting handgun to you? Do you think maybe there's a reason why I ignore the "Purpose" designation in the S&W website specs, and instead go straight to the (supposedly) descriptive text? (Guess I'm gonna ignore it too)

This is all pretty irrelevant to the point of whether or not the 329pd is a good defense gun. It is a good defense gun for the person who has a situation that calls for it and can shoot it well. Simple as that. Why you feel it necessary to disparage the gun or it's owner is beyond me.

AND I LEARN FROM THESE GUYS ON THIS FORUM EVERY DAMN DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

I do not know it all...every day I'm reminded that I don't.

Along with observation comes critical thinking. You observe something then it's time to seriously ponder what you've just seen. Is the lesson absolute? I'll tell you right now, it rarely is.

Nowadays, I don't make many absolute statements; that's when feet go in mouths.

Good stuff, and not just about forum-land.
Gmoats, FM,GG. and others. I have just reread this entire thread. I can see how I may have sounded condescending. If so that is intolerable even by my standards. If anyone perceived my posts as being condescending in tone or content I apologize with all sincerity.

mike r
Class! You got it after all, Mike.
Gmoats, FM,GG. and others. I have just reread this entire thread. I can see how I may have sounded condescending. If so that is intolerable even by my standards. If anyone perceived my posts as being condescending in tone or content I apologize with all sincerity.

mike r

�..actually you were the one that was NOT condescending, Mike---personally I got a kick out of your sarcasm---alittle obtuse and too pointed to go unreproved, but it appears that it's all water under the bridge at this point.
PAX to all

mike r
Hey we're past that, let's talk guns. And good Scotch.

mike r
Hey we're past that, let's talk guns. And good Scotch.

Agreed! It is all good here.

Back on topic of what we don't like about our CC guns, do any of you know of a 9mm that is smaller and lighter than our KelTec PF9? I find the PF-9 just a hair to large to be able to quickly remove it from a jeans pocket, and large enough to print or show badly so carried. In my back pocket, enough of it sticks out to make it very easy to see and discern.

I would love to find a semi auto 9mm the size and weight of a P3AT or close too it. Alas, I suspect that such a pistol may be beyond the materials and designs we now have at our disposal.
I also would love for my RIA 10mm to be a bunch lighter. Anyone know of a Polymer or Aluminum frame 1911 in 10mm caliber? Maybe the Aluminum would not be able to stand up to the pounding a 10mm gives to a pistol, I don't know. But, we were asked what we don't like, and I do not prefer the weight of my RIA full sized 1911 10mm.
Back on topic of what we don't like about our CC guns, do any of you know of a 9mm that is smaller and lighter than our KelTec PF9? I find the PF-9 just a hair to large to be able to quickly remove it from a jeans pocket, and large enough to print or show badly so carried. In my back pocket, enough of it sticks out to make it very easy to see and discern.
The Taurus 709 Slim is a bit smaller, but not nearly as small as the P3AT. I ended up with a 709 for a few months and then sold it to a guy who needed it much more than I did. It really is slim, and the one I had (sample of one) worked perfectly with everything I fed it. It was tough getting the last two rounds in the mag though. I'm betting that's why it worked so well though. The super-short throw of the slide makes for a fast cycling slide. So a very stiff magazine spring is essential to advancing the next round in time to be caught by the slide.

I had a few little gripes about the 709, but overall it was a decent little pistol. I don't imagine it's something that's going to survive thousands of rounds...one of those guns you carry a lot and shoot very little. And with what they cost, I'd just consider them disposable.
I also would love for my RIA 10mm to be a bunch lighter. Anyone know of a Polymer or Aluminum frame 1911 in 10mm caliber? Maybe the Aluminum would not be able to stand up to the pounding a 10mm gives to a pistol, I don't know. But, we were asked what we don't like, and I do not prefer the weight of my RIA full sized 1911 10mm.
I've never seen an aluminum frame 10mm. I guess it all depends on how many rounds of the full power stuff you would intend on cycling through the gun as as to whether or not it would be a good idea. 10mm is hard even on steel frames.

No one offers aluminum frames aftermarket, which really bums me out. Rumor has it that Caspian will do a batch from time to time, but I've yet to see one.
I Cary an old LW commander they I tricked out and did a bobtail flat top and night sights.
It shoots great in the hands of a good 1911 shooter. I just wish I could shoot it as well as I do a revolver. Nothe at all wrong with the gun just the jerk behind the trigger.
No doubt I have enough confidence in it to get the job done if needed..
GunGeek,

I will look at the Taurus 709. Did you find it small enough to hide inside of a back jeans pocket etc? Our PF-9 was, at the time, the smallest and lightest 9mm going, but maybe the 709 has bested it in that area. I will go look at one as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip.

While I would love a lightweight 10mm auto, I am pretty sure you are correct that an aluminum version would have a short shooting life. Maybe Smith and Wesson will do something in Titanium and Scandium a la my 329PD. Was not so long ago that no one would have believed there would be a viable, shootable 23 ounce full sized 44 Magnum!
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I Cary an old LW commander they I tricked out and did a bobtail flat top and night sights.
It shoots great in the hands of a good 1911 shooter. I just wish I could shoot it as well as I do a revolver. Nothe at all wrong with the gun just the jerk behind the trigger.
No doubt I have enough confidence in it to get the job done if needed..

THAT sounds like a super cool little carry gun! If you ever get around to taking some photos of it, I would sure love to see them.
safariman why not just keep the PF-9 in your front pocket? It has never been a problem for me there. But you might wear skinny jeans! smile
safariman why not just keep the PF-9 in your front pocket? It has never been a problem for me there. But you might wear skinny jeans! smile

I have tried that, but my wifey does like me in tight fitting jeans. Not the quickly tapering 'skinny' jeans mind you (ICK!) but quite snug ones up around my, ummmm.... backside? I guess that so long as she wants to admire it, I had best show it off for her. Sherri could not fit a skinny dime in her jeans, and I have to admit that I LIKE it that way! grin
Added to that is that suit pants, dress slacks and gym wear will print a gun of any wieght or size at all.
My PF-9 in shorts pocket looks like a wallet. I know this doesn't sound right but I carry mine upside down when wearing shorts. I wear boardshorts a lot. The weight being on the bottom of the pocket keeps it in place much better. Yes I know its not fast, but neither is velcro pocket flaps.
My PF-9 in shorts pocket looks like a wallet. I know this doesn't sound right but I carry mine upside down when wearing shorts. I wear boardshorts a lot. The weight being on the bottom of the pocket keeps it in place much better. Yes I know its not fast, but neither is velcro pocket flaps.

Now THAT is an idea I had not thought of. Thanks.

I can carry a PF-9 in the front cargo pocket of my Carhardt work shorts. Might just buy a few more pairs of those instead of a whole different gun.
[Linked Image]
GunGeek,

I will look at the Taurus 709. Did you find it small enough to hide inside of a back jeans pocket etc?
Honestly I never tried it, I always carried front pocket.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The thing about portraying yourself as an all-knowing ninja on the innternets is that somebody's likely to call you on it.

For example....
-Somebody could theoretically google a list of approved training providers in your city where you're employed as a "firearms instructor".
-Then cross reference that with the name or partial name you use online.
-Then see which folks with that partial name work at a gun range similar to what you've bragged about.
-And pretty quickly narrow down who you likely are and just how awesome your resume actually is.

And THEORETICALLY they could discover that your career as a firearms instructor largely involves giving free CCW classes or catering to the bachelorette parties and weddings in the VIP lounge of a luxurious indoor range. And then your ninja cred goes out the window.

Theoretically, anyway.

ok that was funny!

well done Blue, well done indeed grin
The only thing I don't like about my S&W 638 is it didn't come with a life time supply of free ammo.
If we are going off topic, then I am breaking out the pics. grin

[Linked Image]
If there is anything about a carry gun i don't like then i replace or fix the dislike. The biggest problem with a carry gun is weight, but that can be somewhat corrected with the right belt and holster .
© 24hourcampfire