Home
Posted By: gmoats S&W Model 15's - 07/18/14
Driving thru Loveland, CO the other day, I stopped at Jensen Arms. They had a number Model 15, PD turn-ins. Department turn ins can be kinda rough, but these looked good with honest wear and not abused. They were priced from $339-$369 which seems like a great price---a couple had Hogue's and Pachmayr grips but most had factory grips. I just can't think of a justification for buying one personally, but they'd be dandy to have; a great training revolver for sure. If any of you are interested, Jensen is pretty active in internet sales.

http://www.jensenarms.net
Posted By: bcolorado Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/18/14
They sure would be nice for carrying...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=429872046
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/18/14
That's one hell of a revolver; good price too. Those have gotten expensive.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Great revolver! Easy to shoot and easy to hit with! I have a late model M15 I carry often.

Expat
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
The Smith and Wesson Model 15, the Combat Masterpiece, is certainly the pinnacle of .38 Special service revolvers. The balance is downright lively, and the accuracy potential is amazing. If I didn't have a model 67 (Same thing in stainless) laying around, I'd be looking to pick one of those up.

Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
I have a M15 that is one of the sweetest S&W revolvers I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. I think the M15 is an under rated gem. Under rated because it is "only" a .38 Special and not a "magnum" and that isn't good enough to many shooters. Especially so the new ones.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Great revolvers! I'd buy two at that price.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
I am beginning to think that whomever hung the name "Special" on the 38 and 44 specials, was a fine judge of talent.

The older I get, the less I like picking up brass, I guess. For a relaxing shoot, I like shooting revolvers. Especially the 38 and 44 specials.
Posted By: Mesa Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Back in the 1950s the USAF bought and issued a whole bunch of Model 15s to its airbase security units. Always wondered what happened to those thousands of Smiths--never saw them surplussed and haven't seen anything about them getting torched, either. Anybody know their fate?

They were issued with the FMJ 130 gr. roundnose .38 Specials that were batting around the various military and federal agencies for decades. Never understood just why they chose that round, but it seemed to me like a great step backwards from the 1911 as an issue gun. There were much better choices available for loading the Model 15, too.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Smith 15's used to be the sleeper deal at any gunshow. When police departments were converting from .38/.357 to wonder 9's you could find them everywhere for cheap, that went double for Model 10's. No one wanted a crummy old fashioned .38 revolver, everyone wanted a hi-cap auto. Then they started getting collector status like all S&W revolvers and the price went up and up.

They really are the jewels of the handgun world. Most have slick actions, accuracy to boot and great triggers. Some have a lot of external wear but short of deliberate abuse you can't hardly shoot out a .38 Special revolver.

Here's my matched set - Model 15 on the left and Model 18 on the right. The 15 was made in 1964 and came with the diamond service stocks but the smooth targets fit my hand better.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Love the 15. I've got one and a 67 to match, the stainless version of it.

PS Smith & Wesson still makes the 67, MSRP $750.00. IMO, the new ones aren't near as nice as the older ones for various reasons.
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/19/14
Here's another 67. My old LAPD-issued 67 that I purchased after retirement for less than $80.00. It rests on an LAPD Hoyt duty holster.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/20/14
You sure got a deal on that one.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/20/14
Our ANG unit didn't switch to Berettas until the mid 90s. I hated losing the M-15s. We were issued Win. silver tips for the M-15s when in the anti-hijack mode. The 130gr FMJ ammo was accurate. We qualified shooting DA only. Man were those M-15s smooth!!!
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Great revolvers! I'd buy two at that price.

Same here. The 15's are just plain fun to shoot and will last forever if properly maintained.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/20/14
Always hated the AF thought M15 w 130 Ball was GTG vs. smelly bearded heathens w AKs! In a fit of nostalgia a few years back, however I picked up a cherry 2-in. Masterpiece for a song. Taking it into woods today w 2 snake loads and 4 Buffalo Bore HC 150 gr wad cutters. Rattlers comin back.
[img:left][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/CombatMasterpieceSnubbyRight.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL[/img]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/20/14
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
[Linked Image][/URL[/img]
Sweet!
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/21/14
Always hated the AF thought M15 w 130 Ball was GTG vs. smelly bearded heathens w AKs! In a fit of nostalgia a few years back, however I picked up a cherry 2-in. Masterpiece for a song. Taking it into woods today w 2 snake loads and 4 Buffalo Bore HC 150 gr wad cutters. Rattlers comin back.
[img:left][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/CombatMasterpieceSnubbyRight.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL[/img]

I'll take that AND RGK's M67!!
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/21/14
Thank you, fellers! Really wanting to get a set of these VZ Grips K/L Square Butt Tactical Diamonds and some sort of chest rig for country work.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/21/14
[Linked Image]
I had a chance to pick one up just like that (pinned barrel and all) about a year ago, but it had beautifully fitted stag grips on it. The price was right, but I was short on funds when the gun store manager called and asked me to come in and take a look at it (He knows what kind of guns I like). Otherwise I would have picked it up.

Something looks just right about a two inch, pre-83, Model 15. My first instructor in defensive handgunning (back in 1980) taught me on one, in fact.
Posted By: rifle Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/22/14
Best shooting 38 I ever had...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: aboltfan Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/27/14
My mom bought my dad a model 15 back in the 60s. He carried it as a deputy sheriff in Louisiana. It was the first gun I carried as a police officer in Mississippi.

I consider the model 15 the perfect handgun for the .38 spl. cartridge.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/27/14
Originally Posted by aboltfan
My mom bought my dad a model 15 back in the 60s. He carried it as a deputy sheriff in Louisiana. It was the first gun I carried as a police officer in Mississippi.

Certainly the best service handgun for it.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/27/14
Originally Posted by aboltfan

And the perfect gun to send to Clark Custom Combat. You won't believe it when you get it back.
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/27/14
Another nice thing about the 15/67 is having an 18 (.22) Combat Masterpiece to go with it.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: aboltfan Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/27/14
Yes it is and yes I do.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 15's - 07/28/14
Originally Posted by RGK
Another nice thing about the 15/67 is having an 18 (.22) Combat Masterpiece to go with it.
Bob

[Linked Image]
That's a beaut. I've got one of them, too, but nice quite as nice as that.
© 24hourcampfire