Home
Posted By: crossotter 44mag - 07/23/14
Itchen to try my model 29 on deer this season. Is anyone else hunting with the 44?
Posted By: HawkI Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I might.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
Not only am I gonna pack my Bisley SBH, I'm looking for a 77/44 and might throw a NECG peep on it and haul that around with some heavy cast just for S&G. I didn't draw anything so it'll just be a open hunt and I rarely get much time off anyway. Might as well make it a hoot...
Posted By: crossotter Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
Good plan. Id like to find a Ruger lever carbine. I think they called it the model 96
Posted By: HawkI Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
A 300 grainer from a levergun 44 Maggot is one fun (and effective) deer gun. Its also a good time at the range. The "giant .22"....
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I'm going to think about this one. It's loaded with Alliant 300-MP and a Beartooth Bullets LCMNGC DCG 300 grain bullet.

[Linked Image]

This one goes with me every year. Lil'Gun and a Beartooth 300 grain WFN GC, works very good!

[Linked Image]
Nice lookin rigs Vic.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I love a .44 Mag for deer and hogs, but not in a handgun.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rem141r Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
ya i use a s&w mountain gun in PA. when i am sitting, i have it laying on the ground on my right side for the offhand right hand shots that i can't do with my rifle without a bunch of movement. i practiced the move many times and can make the first shot count out to about 40 yards almost every time. first offhand shot with a 39 oz fullhouse 44 is accurate. after that, not so much.
Posted By: Boococky Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I'll have my .41 Magnum as backup and if I handgun hunt, it'll be the .460 Magnum grin
Posted By: FWP Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
PA deer are small. I would recommend a good 240 gr. soft point.

Consistant accuracy from the load and the shooter will determine the range to limit yourself.

Posted By: deflave Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I'm going to try. But I have a hard time leaving rifles in the truck. Unless I'm fishing.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Posted By: lastround Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
Crossotter,
When my son got old enough to deer hunt with me, I let him carry the rifle and I carried a 44 magnum handgun, just for convenience. With a lot of practice over several years, I got proficient enough with the handgun that, when my son was old enough to hunt by himself, I continued to only carry the 44 magnum handgun. The gun was usually a 29/629 or a Ruger Redhawk, mostly loaded with a 250 gr. cast bullet of Keith design.

My years of handgun hunting lasted for about 20 years, and while successful sometimes and sometimes not, I found the 44 to be a very capable deer cartridge when used properly. I never shot a deer over about 60 yds. away and picked my shots carefully. I handgun hunted exclusively until the manufacturers started putting those fuzzy front sights on their firearms. Good luck.
Lastround, my front sights got fuzzy too, so the Smith wears a scope. Trying to get a moving deer in that scope is a real character builder! Add to that the four point antler restrictions makes the shots few and far between.
Posted By: lastround Re: 44mag - 07/23/14
I have discovered a great invention; eyeglasses! I may try again this year after I fill the freezer with a rifle. (grin)
Posted By: tomturner Re: 44mag - 09/14/14
No fuzzy front sights on my Model 29 . . . I took it off to help effect a silent, smoother draw. My M29-5 is a pretty rare option made about '89 . . . smooth cylinder/full lug barrel AND the 3-position, adjustable silhouette front sight (removed).

My 29-5 (6" barrel) has sported this 1st generation Bushnell Holosight since the late '90s and I've taken a lot of deer with this wonderful setup.

Nothing is faster in the deer woods than a Holosight . . . and no crosshairs to find and line up either! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Combined with 300gn ammo years ago and I've only lost one deer since 1999 . . . and dropped THREE in mere seconds on two different occasions.

Yep . . . I'm looking forward to the upcoming season with my M29!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 44mag - 09/15/14
The majority of the time I am rifle hunting I will have a .44 of some flavor with me. If a close range opportunity presents itself I will oblige the animal. When I am done filling the freezer and playing guide for others, then the .44 will become the primary arm.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 44mag - 09/17/14
I usually pack my scoped Redhawk along, but hunt primarily with a rifle. This year I may leave the Redhawk behind in favor of my open-sighted Smith model 69.
Posted By: 35WhelenNut Re: 44mag - 09/18/14
I started using a .44 for deer last year. In fact last year was my first attempt ever at using a handgun for any big game. Four shots fired, three deer down. (I missed the first one I shot at)
Two with a cast 260 gr. SWC, one with a cast 247 gr. SWCHP. Didn't even take a rifle out last year!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....it was a .44 SPECIAL. You don't need no steenking magnum to kill whitetail! whistle
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 44mag - 09/18/14
[Linked Image]

I'm figuring on hunting with my 45 colt this fall. Don't know how much time I will get to hunt, but looking forward to taking a poke at one with my Bisley.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: 44mag - 09/20/14
I got a new 77/44 Ruger this to try out this fall. If I get one close Ill use my .44 Super Blackhawk. One way or the other, it will be a .44.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 44mag - 09/20/14
I got my 3x5 buck with a rifle in Oct 2013, at 477 yards.
I am a terrible shot with a handgun, I would have to get closer.

I could use a handgun to finish off a deer, that could happen.
Posted By: Robster Re: 44mag - 09/21/14
I use a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Special to hunt with. I don't need the meat so I always hunt with the handgun. I just enjoy taking a deer with it and if they are too far away, I don't sweat it.
© 24hourcampfire